PDA

View Full Version : Therapist question

Andrea85
05-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Is there a certain type of therapist that can write the letter needed for hormones? I mentioned it to my therapist, who sees several girls, but she said she was unsure if she was able to do that. Just curious, and thought I might try finding out for her. Oh, and please cite where your info is from, preferably a credible source. This could help out several girls here in Seymour. (I don't know them, but our only option here is a bitch of a therapist who I've already reported, but that's another story. Just want us to have another option is possible.)

Thanks!

JenniferZ2009
05-28-2011, 07:23 PM
@Kittykitty, If you follow the Standards of Care you have to see a therapist for a certain amount of time and be diagnosed as having Gender Disphoria before you can be prescribed hormones for HRT. Generally a therapist will write a letter to the potential prescribing doctor stating that this person has been to therapy and is of sound mind and does indeed have gender disphoria. Most endocrinologists will ask for this letter.

@andy85 Not sure what to say but have you tried making an appointment with your endocrinologist and asking him/her what they would want from you to get them to prescribe hormones?

Jorja
05-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Go to http://www.wpath.org/index.cfm go to publications, download Standards of Care vversion 6 near bottom of page. Download a copy for your hardrive and print a copy for your therapist

Go to page 8 One Letter is Required for Instituting Hormone Therapy, or for Breast Surgery.

Let me say this... If your therapist is not familiar with the SOC it is a good sign they do not have any experience with transgendered/transsexual issues. Seek out a gender therapist with experience. It will be much better for you in the long run.

Jorja
05-28-2011, 09:28 PM
I have no such letter, and I'm on HRT.

Sometimes a thearpist is well known by a doctor or endocrinologist and will refer you to them, or your GP might go ahead and do it themselves. The main thing is to be under a doctors care while on HRT.

Andrea85
05-28-2011, 10:07 PM
My point was to work backwards. Who is doing the prescribing? What do they require? Who do they recommend in the area? Do you even need a letter for whatever doc you use? If you're sitting there, comfortably in a skirt (metaphorically) a gid might not be such a stretch for them to put together.

If you have a family doc, you might consider using them. These days this is much more mainstreamed. My family doc was TICKED when he heard I'd gone elsewhere (and I think it hurt his feelings.) Turns out he had experience with ts patients before.

I did a quick search on google with your area, and found a few leads. Just search for "transgender" + "seymour, tn." Go straight to the source, as you can see, everyone's experience is different.

Possibly, but not the topic at all. Not even sure why I'm wasting my effort to reply to your posting here in this thread.

Katesback
05-28-2011, 11:28 PM
If you look like the person in your picture you would probably have good luck just going to your doctor and asking for them. Of course it helps to have done your homework on the dosages amd blood tests, but then that is readily available on the internet pudlished by doctors. contrary to some views hormones are not rocket science and any reasonable doctor can manage the process.

Now if you go to the doctor as a boy forget it. If I was a doctor and a boy asked for the hormones I would ask for the letter. Of course if a girl came in my office and had her homework done and presented well she would get the hormones.

That is exactly what I did.

Katie