PDA

View Full Version : Taking my CD for a pedicure...

3bugs
05-30-2011, 04:50 AM
I've been wanting to take my husband in for a manicure and pedicure. I have mixed motives, but mostly I think he'd enjoy being pampered. My other motive is his nails are pretty gross and would benefit from some professional help. Perhaps a facial and eye-brow waxing as well.

These days, it seems relatively common for men to go in for spa services. We live in a very conservative area, but given all the heterosexuals (or whatever they are called) roaming around, I suspect no one would give him a second look, right? My gut says this is a non-issue, but I'd appreciate hearing the perspective and experiences of others.

Kathy4ever
05-30-2011, 04:56 AM
I say go for it. He might want some color but that would be a clear give away. I know I love it when I get my pedicure amd manicure.

Danni Renee
05-30-2011, 06:18 AM
I have not been to get a manicure myself (yet) but there is one a different post I visit every once in a while. Every time I walk by there, there are just as many guys as womens in there and it is always busy. I say go for it, I think he will love it.

lauraabdl
05-30-2011, 06:38 AM
I for one enjoy it emensley, and go every chance I get. The pampering is the best an the pedicure is heaven on earth, if you get the right person.:thumbsup:

wendy360
05-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Call the salon first and ask if they do men. I have been to salons that I did not feel comfortable in. I called the place I currently go to and they are very accepting. I have been going their for a year now.

AnnaCalliope
05-30-2011, 12:21 PM
I believe the term you are looking for is "metrosexual", i.e. someone, usually male, who takes very good care of their appearance with professional skin, nail and hair care. Heterosexuals, are in fact, straight people, men and women who strictly follow traditional romantic/sexual roles with members of the opposite sex, respectively.

Getting a mani/pedi could be an issue depending on your husband's age and chosen profession, especially if he's over 40 and works in an industry that is male dominated, i.e. anything blue-collar. If he has a white collar position, some kind of desk job, clear polish on the fingernails is highly recommended. If his job that's something fairly open-minded, a bookstore or male/female clothing shop, then a dark/gender neutral color like black or navy blue could be possible. If you are afraid of getting stares or negative comments, get clear polish on his fingers and color on his toes, and just be sure he doesn't wear sandals somewhere painted toe-nails on a male would seem out of place.

Barbra P
05-30-2011, 01:02 PM
My Daughter painted my toenails a little over a week ago, and I love the look; they are not real bright, just a subtle pink. I’m looking forward to going for a pedicure. I do have a question though, if I go in with color on my nails will they remove it during the pedicure, I’d like to have new polish professionally applied.

Alice B
05-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Take him. He will love it and it shows your support to him. I go every 2-3 weeks for a pedi and mani and have my toe nails painted. About once every month or two I have my brows waxed and even have them tinted once in a while. I always feel great afterwards.

MsKimiko
05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
what a sweet wife.. mani's and pedi's are perfectly normal now. he wont even get a second look.. when i go i always just get clear polish but you can jokingly say you should get hot pink or something and if he agrees then they will do it..

Anne2345
05-30-2011, 02:23 PM
What a wonderful wife you are! Your husband is quite lucky! If you think he will also want color, like another member said, you may want to call ahead first. I go to a salon operated and owned by a solo nail artist, thus assuring privacy. I have no doubt that your husband will love the experience!

I do have a question though, if I go in with color on my nails will they remove it during the pedicure, I’d like to have new polish professionally applied.

Proper etiquette states that you should remove the polish before you go into the nail salon. I always remove mine. Besides, would you rather have them take time to remove it when you could otherwise experience the joy of being pampered, or just let them have at it, and work with a blank slate as you sit back and enjoy? Either way though, you will love it! :)

Rianna Humble
05-30-2011, 02:25 PM
if I go in with color on my nails will they remove it during the pedicure, I’d like to have new polish professionally applied.

Very definitely. I very rarely leave my toes with no colour on them, part of the preparation for my pedicure is when the beautician removes the old nail polish.

Eryn
05-30-2011, 03:36 PM
3bugs, you are a wonderful wife! Even your ulterior motives have your hubby's best interest in mind! :)

For any situation that might be stressful, a reconnaissance is always warranted. Go to the place you have in mind and check it out. Talk to the people and find out their attitudes. If they aren't comfortable with it (not likely, IMO) then go elsewhere.

Also, unless your SO really likes surprises, you might at least drop a major hint as to what you are doing. Sometimes we CDers have internal issues that have to be worked through before we become comfortable doing something as wonderfully girly as this.

Fab Karen
05-30-2011, 04:49 PM
The title has me envisioning you getting the leash & saying,"WALKIES!" :)

Eryn
05-30-2011, 06:50 PM
The title has me envisioning you getting the leash & saying,"WALKIES!" :)

Like the Far Side comic with the one dog saying to the other "...and then I'm off to get tutored!"

kathie225
05-30-2011, 09:25 PM
I also like pedi and manicures. I have a regular appointment every six weeks. Going on seven years. No more ingrown nails!!!!!

trisha11
05-30-2011, 10:39 PM
my gg has taken me several times to the local nail salon and spa for pedicures and eye brow waxing, i have never had a manicure. my gg has also scheduled facials and full body massages and believe me i have loved every minute of it. if your cd gurlfriend is anything like me she will love it, to make it a little more fun, have her underdress or even dress up, giggles
trisha

Cynthia Anne
05-30-2011, 11:00 PM
I beleave he would adore it! I know I do rather it's nails, a waxing or whatever! He's already the lucky one for having such a loving wife!

Stefia S
05-30-2011, 11:11 PM
What a wonderful treat for both of you!

As an added assurance, a local TG group or transformation shop, if available, may be able to provide you recommendations on TG friendly spas; even though your husband will be going en drab.

KandisTX
05-31-2011, 08:24 AM
My wife "makes" me get a pedicure every year after the end of the Texas Renaissance Festival. I work there, and after eight weekends of being on my feet all day long all weekend long, she knows my feet need some pampering. If you can find a salon with the massage chairs attached to the foot baths that is my recommendation. Many men have manicures and pedicures done these days, it's no big deal to the technicians. They may give a strange look if he asks for color, but they'll still do a great job.

suchacutie
05-31-2011, 11:07 AM
It might be easier to start with a facial peel. My wife introduced these to me a couple of years ago. She goes the office of a plastic surgeon and the office does the complete range of services, including peels.

Well, she was right. They pampered me and my face felt incredible afterwards. With that success in hand, the mani/pedi should be easy :)

tina

Daphne Renee
05-31-2011, 06:06 PM
I have gotten a manicure a couple of times. It was really no big deal. It felt really good. They did clear polish on my fingers but If I had asked they probably would have done it in a different color.

Jamie001
05-31-2011, 10:45 PM
I get a manicure and a pedicure every two weeks. Whenever I am not at work, in male mode I wear women's open-toe sandals and my toenails are always bright red. It is a very liberating experience to wear womens sandals and perfectly pedicures red toenails. I get a lot of compliments from women on my pedicures and choice of sandals. It is really not a big deal. If you get a manicure/pedicure, always get a bright color on your toes and proudly wear sandals to show them off.

Jamie
Wearing OPI Dutch Tulips on my toes

annalyn
06-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I have been to a local spa since Sept. and have had pedicures and manicures, both with color. The manis were color only twice, during week long vacations. I have had all of the pedis with color and nobody made any comments. The only comment was the mani with color befpre Easter. The manicurint asked me several times if I really wanted color. I said yes and got a beautiful bright hot pink shade. Definitely go for it!!

thuvia
06-04-2011, 12:40 PM
that sounds like heaven, i HAVE to know how did it work out and has anybody gone in character before?

Shananigans
06-04-2011, 12:44 PM
It's a non-issue. I go to a nail salon at least twice a month. The one thing that kind of sucks is that a male manicure/pedicure costs more than a female manicure/pedicure where I go. I have NO idea why...it seems sexist. I would just call the place and say that you and your husband are going to get a mani/pedis and just have an appointment so that they expect it. I don't like men to do pedicures...I don't really know why....it's just a weird thing about myself. So, I make appointments and ask for my regular girl. Your hubby might not want a guy working on his feet either, or he may not care. You might have some eyebrows raised if he gets a color on his nails. If people look at you, you can be playful to your husband and say, "I'm so glad that you agreed to do this. Your hands and feet are going to look soooo much better for the beach!" You know how women are...we want to know everything and some women might be wondering why he is there. But, for real, I wish more guys went in for a monthly mani/pedi because it's just a hygiene thing. Men need to take care of themselves too, in my opinion!!

As far as waxing...I'd just be careful at nail salons. I lost half an eyebrow getting my eyebrows waxed at a nail salon and now I spend the extra 5$ to have it done at a spa.

Also, I have been getting my nails done forever...I've never removed my polish before the appointment. That's their job!! Furthermore, most people that sit around me have their polish taken off by the techs. I don't go around without polish on my nails...I can't even remember what my nails look like without polish on them.