PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fantasy Creature? [FTM only, please]

Seamus_Jameson
05-31-2011, 06:36 AM
Hey guys,

I've always heard how MTFs often liked mermaids as a child because it helped them understand themselves. I don't know if that's true or not, but it got me wondering.

What are your top two favorite fantasy creatures and why?

brylram
05-31-2011, 07:38 AM
lol, nice... I knew two as soon as I read the title: werewolf and minotaur.

Minotaur is more recent, but as a kid I used to pretend to be a werewolf constantly. I hate the kind with mostly human faces though, it's all about wolf faces for me (see Dog Soldiers for a good example). Warhammer Beastmen are probably third on my list (excluding Ungors), with Skaven coming in 4th.

As far as why I like them, does it even require explanation? They are bad-ass, 'nuff said.

DanielMacBride
05-31-2011, 10:21 AM
I'd have to say wolves (whether they are werewolves or regular ones) and Falkor from Neverending Story. I have had a longstanding deep connection with creatures of the canis lupus variety since I was a toddler, and well, Falkor is just awesome :)

AnonyMouse
05-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Well, as a kid, it was definitely hobbits. Short, good at cooking, no beards (though I wasn't too pleased with that, because clearly Beard is better than Not Beard)... yeah. The only thing disappointing about them was that I had to be a female hobbit... it just didn't feel quite right. I felt the same way about dwarves, to be honest. My family'd be all, "Ooh, you should be a dwarf because dwarf women have beards, too!" (See also: lies.) That's not right, man. Women shouldn't have beards; I should have a beard. Not that I'm opposed to women having beards, just that my unhelpful family was really looking at the issue from the wrong angle.

I also had a fondness for quirky, nonviolent werewolves. A la Teen Wolf, which I adored as a teenager because gratuitous transformations, man. And, y'know, puberty allegory. It would be so kicking to run around with all that hair and be all "I'm a werewolf, whatcha gonna do about it?" Plus the superpowers, of course. All the sweet physical amazingness that I have never been able to achieve, without the uncontrollable violence and inevitable dying. On the other hand, I also relate somewhat to the other flavor of werewolf because of the lunar cycle thing.

Werewolves aren't on the top of my list, though. In fact, currently I have a hard time thinking of any mythical creature that I really relate to - except vampires. I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe because I've developed some anger issues recently, maybe because I have to hide most of the time, maybe because of the whole "being a brand of humanity that people tend to despise" thing - not just from being trans, but by virtue of being an atheist, something of a moral relativist, and submissive/masochist as well. You know, the kind of person that makes good little WASPs quake in their boots.

(Back on the subject of werewolves: MTV's "Teen Wolf" series (http://www.mtv.com/shows/teen_wolf/series.jhtml) is premiering on June 5. Do want.)

mistunderstood
05-31-2011, 12:05 PM
I liked gnomes. I guess the idea about having little people around to help and guard your home appeals to me. I also like ghosts not sure if they count.

Poltergeist
06-05-2011, 07:35 PM
I love dragons :) But I wanted to be a ghost when I was a kid LOL.

Leo Lane
06-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Never thought about it. I've always been an animal lover, but real animals, not fantasy ones. When I was little I pretended to be Captain Planet, then when I was a bit older I was a knight-errant.

metalguy639
06-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Vampires.......I only sleep in the daytime lol