PDA

View Full Version : My father is SO considerate

Rianna Humble
06-01-2011, 03:41 AM
I was going to put this in my journal, but wanted to share it with a few more people.

8 days ago, my dad had his 89th birthday and unfortunately one of the ways in which his age is showing is that any journey beyond a short walk is now an ordeal for him by whatever means of transport.

Next Monday I have my first appointment at the Gender Clinic, which is about 90 minutes travel away, using a combination of public transport.

My dad had somehow got it in his mind that I was going there for GRS. This morning, he called me to one side and said "I cannot let you go alone for something as important as this, I am coming with you to the hospital".

I thanked him profusely for his considerate offer, but explained that this is only the initial appointment to discuss what support I will be getting. That put his mind at rest and he is now happy for me to go alone, but I can't get over how far he was willing to put himself out for my sake!

He is truly an outstanding individual!

Tia808
06-01-2011, 03:44 AM
That is just so beautiful -- thanks for sharing!

Jorja
06-01-2011, 04:28 AM
That is beautiful. My father passed 10 years ago. He and I did not always see things eye to eye. Just when I thought my relationship with him might not ever get back on track, he reached out to me. Things like transition and GRS can upset the apple cart way to easily when it comes to fathers. Our fathers are and can be amazing men when we least expect it. I am glad you have him in your life Rianna.

Gerrijerry
06-01-2011, 04:48 AM
that is so wonderful that he can not only accept you but also show his love fully for you at a time when his needs are as strong as yours.

noeleena
06-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Hi,

Thats just ,,,,,so neat,

...noeleena...

Jay Cee
06-01-2011, 06:02 AM
That's wonderful, Rianna. Is he adopting any more adult children? ;)

arbon
06-01-2011, 08:31 AM
That is really nice, thanks for sharing it.

Gina X
06-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Thats really great Rianna your dad is truely one of the good guys, and good luck with your appointment..............................

Eileen
06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks for sharing a special moment with all of us Rianna!

Eileen

Debglam
06-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks for sharing that beautiful story Rianna. My father has been gone for several years now but I often wonder if we could have discussed being transgender. I like to think that he would have understood, though probably not when I was younger.

AllieSF
06-01-2011, 01:45 PM
He is an outstanding individual who also has an outstanding daughter. I am happy for both of you.

Hope
06-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Your dad is awesome. Wanna trade?

Starling
06-03-2011, 06:36 AM
It's too late for me to discuss gender as an adult with my parents, but I wish I had. I'm sure I did when I was a child, because of certain very specific memories I have, and it probably put them quite on edge at the time. Your father is a champ, Rianna.

:) Lallie

Aprilrain
06-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Wow thats really sweet. I'm sure when that day comes you can arrange a car for him to make it a little easier.

KarenCDFL
06-03-2011, 09:04 AM
What a guy!

Too bad he can't be cloned!

Laurie Ann
06-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Selflisness is a true measure of the love your Dad has for you. You are obviously a very special woman to him. A great big bear hug for you both.

Helen Grandeis
06-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Its truly a blessing to have your dad. My dad was allowed to die finally shortly after midnight on his 81st birthday. Up until the fall that led to the end, he had every one of his marbles. We would stay up until 2 am watching black and white movies from the 30's and 40's. He was a brilliant engineer until the end with 18 US patents. But he was very wrapped up in himself. Your dad seems more outwardly connected and concerned for you, soon to be daddy's little girl. I miss my dad greatly.
-
Good luck on Monday
Helen

Paulette
06-12-2011, 08:15 PM
We could all take a lesson from the fabulous man. It is the small things that are truly special in everyone's lives. Be sure to give him a big hug and kiss next time you see him.

donnalee
06-13-2011, 01:33 AM
What a lovely post!:hugs:

Teri Jean
06-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Rianna, your dad is such a wonderful soul. I guess I would have explained it to him, and if he was capable of traveling, I would have asked him if he would like to go along so he could be part of the prep counciling as this would also let him know you are going to be fine. At any rate he deserves a special hug and maybe taking him out for a evening dinner. Congrats with many happy tears.

Rianna Humble
06-13-2011, 04:36 PM
I guess I would have explained it to him, and if he was capable of traveling, I would have asked him if he would like to go along so he could be part of the prep counciling as this would also let him know you are going to be fine.

One of the things that makes his attitude so great in my eyes is that a 40 min journey as a passenger in a car is an ordeal for him, but he was willing to suffer over 90 minutes travel on public transport each way if I had needed him with me. The clinic is also on the first floor (2nd floor in US terms) and at 89 it is an effort for him to get up stairs so I would not encourage him to put himself through all of that with the additional risk to his own health.

VickyMI
06-13-2011, 07:59 PM
make sure you tell him that

Kaitlyn Michele
06-14-2011, 06:03 AM
that's really wonderful rianna... he is stepping up for his kid which is a great thing.

All the best
Kaitlyn

DAVIDA
06-14-2011, 06:20 AM
He sounds like my father.:thumbsup:
Mine is 85 and has always been there for me.:)
To bad they can't be ordered with that unconditional love.:heehee:

Kelsy
06-15-2011, 03:49 AM
As a Father I want only the best and happiness for my children. If the day came
when they told me they had Gender issues All I could do is to love and accept them.
I lost my Dad about five years ago. I really miss him! He was a gentle and loving
man and I loved him dearly!

ReineD
06-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Awww, there's no limit to the love parents feel for their kids. My dad is the same way, there is nothing I wouldn't do for my own sons, and I'm sure they will feel the same way about their own kids, and so it goes ... :)