PDA

View Full Version : Post SRS Recovery Time

Michelle.M
06-01-2011, 06:21 AM
Some of you know that I am about to change careers and I anticipate that change to happen next spring. I am researching companies I'm considering, especially with respect to their HR policies regarding transgender employees and the benefits that might be available to TG workers.

Although more and more companies are offering payment for surgery one of the most common benefits is medical leave for transition-related surgery, which will be a concern for me. But it did make me wonder what is a reasonable period of time for SRS medical leave.

So as I was considering this, it occurred to me to ask those of you who are post-op:

How long did it take for you to recover from SRS? I don't mean recovery so you could enjoy strenuous activities, but just enough so you can move around and function (albeit slowly), drive, go shopping and get back to work?

Frances
06-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Driving, shopping and going back to work are different things. It took me a good two months for the latter. The other ones happened after a month or so. Going to a store and getting tired from the experience, with the ability to recover, and working eight hours a day are two very different things. I would have taken more time if I had had short term disability insurance.

Kaitlyn Michele
06-01-2011, 08:54 AM
the bottom line is that
theoretically you can function slowly and carefully at about 2 weeks but you will feel very tender and tired...you may still have stitches and will certainly still have spots were it is very raw...healing is unpredictable..
it's a couple months before you feel even a little normal..plus the dilation is a 24/7 thing for many months....try to get yourself in the best physical shape possible in advance of surgery

Zenith
06-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Yes it depends on the surgeon, procedures, and activity level. I had SRS/Chondrolaryngeoplasty with Bowers, and was walking to downtown Trinidad the second week (but they told me on the last day I shouldn't have done that...lol). But would tire easily the first month. My discharge instructions say no lifting over 10 pounds the first 4 weeks, and wait until 6 weeks before heavy exercise. So a month is a good estimate. Know that your energy levels will be diminished, and like others said you will be dilating a lot. If you add other procedures such as FFS, then you may be knocked on your ass for a while. Some of the Thai surgeons are really strict about keeping you flat for a while, and ask you to stay in Thailand for a month. Marci kept me in Trinidad for two weeks, though I almost had to stay longer due to complications...

Michelle.M
06-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks, everyone! This is helpful. I don't want to push it but at the same time my future employer should be able to plan, so the ball park I am seeing here is not less than a month, more like 6-8 weeks is better. Kind of like a maternity leave and then back to work.

pamela_a
06-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Michelle, You can also apply for FMLA. I'm scheduled for SRS in July and when I applied for short term disability at work I was also told to apply for FMLA also and it was approved. Your doctor will need to fill out forms but that will provide you up to 12 weeks off work

Katesback
06-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I got SRS, Lipo, and boobs the same day.

On the fourth day after surgery I was walking around in the hotel visiting people.

Three weeks after srs I was riding the motorcycle and mowing grass.

Work is up for debate because if you have to sit for eight hours................ ya get the point.

As far as complete healing to the point that everything felt normal. That took well over a year! More like a year and a half.

Michelle.M
06-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Michelle, You can also apply for FMLA. I'm scheduled for SRS in July and when I applied for short term disability at work I was also told to apply for FMLA also and it was approved.

Thanks, Pamela. I looked into that after I posted, and I saw what the rules are. Since it will be a new job this will be a timing issue, as you have to work for a company that has at least 50 employees and you have to have been there a year before you take the FMLA. Assuming those conditions are met I will do that, otherwise it'll have to be some sort of other type of medical leave of absence.

Three weeks after srs I was riding the motorcycle and mowing grass.

You are AWESOME! You're my new role model! :)

Katesback
06-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Well I was in good shape when I had surgery. I also pushed it too much and tore some of my stitches (probably from mowing grass). At the time I did not have insurance so I took a trip to my friend the vetrinarian. She took a look at it. Gave me some animal antibiotic ointment to stuff in the tear, told me that she could stitch it up but that it would close on its own in a day or two. Needless to say she was rite. All worked out.

For the record I am not suggesting anyone go to the vetrinarian. My logic was that they are more likely to deal with wounds than they typical doctor. LOL As far as the animal antibiotics........well thats probably why I am nuts today.

Katesback
06-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Oh one of the really strange events durring recovery is the (totally normal) tearing of interior stitches. This happens when you are sitting on the toilet and you can feel them popping. Strange but normal. The other strange event is how quickly the brain re-programs to the new parts. It is literally difficult to even picture what it was like before surgery. It feels like the new parts were always there. At least thats how it happened for me.

Katie

GypsyKaren
06-02-2011, 04:25 AM
I had quite a bit of discomfort and weakness for the first three months, but nothing I couldn't handle. You have to remember that you're getting a lot of stitches in a bad place to be getting a lot of stitches, the key is to not overdue it. My biggest problem was rubbing of some of the external stitches before they dissolved, a little time with the tweezers took care of that and greatly improved my quality of life.

Karen Starlene

noeleena
06-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Hi,

I know my surgery was a bit different i was walking hard out some 16 days after two stage surgery ,

& i was on my back 7 days so took a few days to regain my lost strength before i went out the door for my first walk took about 6 days to come right ,
after that i was okay tho did have rest times of an hour or so between walking, sitting was uncomforable for about a month & healing of the nerves was fun just like elc shocks,, a year just over.

tho i was working at about two months building of cause. not the heavy work S R S & B A . no lifting of arms for 2 months over shoulder's height. other wise it was good & not seen a Dr in over 4 years & thats june / july ,
oh heck 4 years in 2 weeks.

...noeleena...

stacie
06-04-2011, 11:34 AM
I got SRS, Lipo, and boobs the same day.

Damn Kateback, you are on heck of a strong girl to get all of that done all at one time. Out of all my surgerys my implants was the most painful out of SRS and FFS. But I spread it all out over a 2 year time. Plus I also had magor back surgery in the same time frame. After my FFS my face wouldd get so sore when I went out in the cold winter weather, But the pain of the implants SUCK! from the skin being stressed out to its max limits.

Katesback
06-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Funny you said that because the implants were the worse for me as well. I think though that the way my doc put them in was the biggest factor. He put them in under my arms and so for a few days I could not move my arms.

[QUOTE=Katesback;2507390]I got SRS, Lipo, and boobs the same day.

Damn Kateback, you are on heck of a strong girl to get all of that done all at one time. Out of all my surgerys my implants was the most painful out of SRS and FFS. But I spread it all out over a 2 year time. Plus I also had magor back surgery in the same time frame. After my FFS my face wouldd get so sore when I went out in the cold winter weather, But the pain of the implants SUCK! from the skin being stressed out to its max limits.

Teri Jean
06-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Michelle, I had my surgery just 4 weeks ago and at the Be-All conference this past week I was out dancing and enjoying all the fun. The day before I left for the conference I mowed the grass and did all my house work before leaving. Everone recovers differently and I may be just fortunate. I am off for eight weeks before I have to be evaluated for return to work. If at that time I am not ready from the doctor's determination I will be off another month.

Michelle.M
06-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks again for all the great responses! This has been so helpful.

Katesback
06-05-2011, 09:25 PM
I think one of the reasons nobody can give you a difinitive for returing to work is because for some time after surgery you will go through a phase where you feel fine but at any moment you run out of gas and need to take a break. Because of this going to work becomes a challenge.

Michelle.M
06-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Oh, I am not at all worried about a definitive answer. The variety of choices has been helpful for me in making a good guess as to what to expect.