PDA

View Full Version : Epilation hurts so much!

abbykins
06-03-2011, 12:29 AM
I started on my ankle and it hurt so much, I couldn't even continue. I haven't taken pain medicine in 15 years, but I just popped two full-strength Tylenol 30 minutes ago. Now I'm going to try with an ice pack. The hair is the right length.

Help! I need encouragement :eek:

Eryn
06-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I've had success epilating, but I think one reason is that I removed all the hair first with sugar waxing. Once the hair has been removed the folliciles don't seem to grow back as firmly anchored as they were.

Sugar waxing is cheap and easy. I wrote a thread on it:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?147666-Eryn-s-Sugaring-Experience-with-Before-and-After-Pix

Now for the encouragement. Once you get the hairs pulled the first time, maintainance is much much easier. I don't really perceive the sensation of the epilator as pain at this point. I just sit there fascinated as those little stubs of hair suddenly disappear!

Fuzzlette
06-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I haven't used one yet, but I plan to.

I have prepared myself though by using tweezers in the planned area (not the legs) and I didn't find it so bad

I would suggest warming the area with a damp cloth maybe and trimming with clippers first. The warmth should relax the skin around the follicles and allow them to come out with less pain

VioletJourney
06-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Try stretching the skin tight on the areas you're epilating. I found that while it didn't reduce the pain, the pain doesn't last so the pain doesn't build up. I know what you're going through, I just got mine last week, I haven't been able to finish my first epilation yet! Mostly because I have to wait to be alone to continue though.

I also find it helpful to just yell out a battle cry and to just keep going without thinking twice!

Bernadina
06-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Go lightly at first. A bit at a time over a week or two. Don't try to clear any area completely. When it hurts too much - STOP.

rata
06-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Its going to hurt the first time but after that its a piece of cake after that. Wax the first time might be a better way to go thats what i did i think it was such a long time ago.

Mahoro
06-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Abby,
Don't give up hun!! The first time is going to absolutely be the worst, but it won't always be so painful.

As others advised above, use your free hand to stretch the skin taunt by pulling to the side of the area you are doing (this will help so it does not pinch any loose skin), make sure the epilator is in the proper position (generally this means perpendicular to the surface of your skin), and remember you don't have to 'push' it down hard on your skin, just lightly brush against the surface in small circular movements along a straight path, and let the tool work it's magic.

I don't recommend taking pain killers, just look at the experience as a growth opportunity, and continue on until you've completed the target area (btw, it's OK to cry, I know I did the first time!). I assure you that if you make it through the first round, it will be much easier in the future, and you'll love the results.

Remember to use a nice mild/soothing lotion when you are done, and daily after that. Also, don't be alarmed if it looks like you have a rash or chicken pocks shortly after, that is perfectly normal, and will generally go away in a day or so.

silkyness
06-03-2011, 06:47 AM
It hurts REALLY bad a first, but I've been doing it for a year and I cant feel it anymore (except the back of my knee). Storm through it, you'll get there!

abbykins
06-03-2011, 08:28 AM
This really helps me want to persevere. Thank you all. I am taking all of the advice. I finished one lower leg and knee and I will do the rest gradually. I think the Tylenol helped a little but not much, it still felt like taking a cheese grater to my skin :p It's a little bumpy/swollen this morning but I'm sure it will go down. :bighug:

Bernadina
06-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Try applying a good quality Vitamin E skin cream after epilating. I found that it helps soothe the skin and reduces the bumps.

Maria Blackwood
06-04-2011, 04:02 AM
I was amazed at how much the pain varied. I can do my legs without even feeling anything. If I try to do anything on my torso, it's like killer bees attacking. Still haven't done my torso that way.

Emma England
06-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Epilators were designed by the devil as torture devices.

I have treated my body to laser, so not a problem for me.

Instead of the ankle, why not try a flat smooth area first? It would be less painful than any bumpy area.

Cheryl T
06-04-2011, 08:33 AM
At first it is a bit of torture, but after continued use it gets easier. You will also find you need to use it less frequently.

Tia808
06-04-2011, 08:38 AM
I agree with Eryn. Epilation is a lot easier after waxing/sugaring; I couldn't imagine starting the hair removal process with an epilator! In any event, however it is that you first remove the hair in question, take heart in the fact that subsequent epilation will be much less uncomfortable. As they say, "it gets better!" :)