PDA

View Full Version : Craftsmen Makeup Box

SometimesDiana
06-03-2011, 02:20 AM
I was asked to post a little info on my Craftmen makeup box. It looks right at home with my guy things and it has a lock to ensure the contents aren't discovered. Best of all, it does a great job of organizing my makeup.

Each drawer has adjustable dividers. I ordered strips of acrylic from Mcmaster.com and used my router to make the slots. The edges were flame-polished with a small torch. I used permanent mounting tape to attach the small mirror. The next project is to install some speakers for my MP3 player.

How do you orgnaize your makeup? Does anyone use a tool box or tackle box?

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i411/SometimesDiana/Toolbox1.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i411/SometimesDiana/Toolbox2.jpg

Persephone
06-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Oh! That is awesome, Diana! Brilliant!!! You should sell those!!!

I know GG's who would probably love it!

Hugs,
Persephone.

jillcutie
06-03-2011, 05:05 AM
wow! that is amazing, I'm sure everyone will want one. I only have a little pink bag for most of my things, as it all won't fit into one spot like that. Love it!

joanna4
06-03-2011, 06:39 AM
HAHA that's a first. I think that's very clever. I'm currently using a bag:( time for an ugrade after seeing this thread

Tina B.
06-03-2011, 07:43 AM
That is awesome, I would never have thought of a thing like that, hide it all in plain site! Most of mine is either in the medicine cabinet or in a box under the sink, but f I had to hide it all I couldn't think of a better way.
Tina B.

Paula Siemen
06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Looks great! I want one! But how does it go through airport security???

Deana ♥ Danni
06-03-2011, 08:28 AM
I know GG's who would probably love it!

I think this is very cute!! And yes, here is one GG who would love one :) Seriously though, maybe you really could make these and sell them on ebay... I have a plastic one (not nearly the same amount of cubbies) but where it is so light, it slides so much on top of my armoire, and it falls off constantly. It would be nice to have one that was heavy and would stay in place more.

~Deana

KarenCDFL
06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
What a fantastic idea!

I have the same box but I use it for my hobby stuff. Never dawned on me it had other uses!

Phylis Nicole Schuyler
06-03-2011, 10:03 AM
You could very well sell them with & without the contents. I would love to start one, do you have plans? Would you share them with us? You could even sell the plans with a list of all the contents.

Sophie86
06-03-2011, 10:43 AM
That is awesome!!

The same thing could be done with a tackle box, but I like the idea of a big, strong, metal Craftsman tool box hiding all that girly stuff. :)

"Mary"
06-03-2011, 01:00 PM
That's really clever. I like that a lot and may "imitate". Thanks for sharing.

Amber_Lynn
06-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Very cool! I just bought a new tool box and my old one looks like yours...but it's had some rough years ;) I used to use a make up box from a company called Caboodles. It's like this one, but was blue and the compartment to the left of the mirror had holders for lipsticks
http://img2.wantitall.co.za/images/ShowImage.aspx?ImageId=Caboodles-On-The-Go-Swag-Purple|413dBjHsDOL.jpg

Anna B
06-03-2011, 04:23 PM
That is awesome, I would never have thought of a thing like that, hide it all in plain site! Most of mine is either in the medicine cabinet or in a box under the sink, but f I had to hide it all I couldn't think of a better way.
Tina B.

I hide all my stuff in a briefcase in plain sight in my study, which is why I don't have too many dresses. How many dresses can you fit in a briefcase???

RileyAnne
06-03-2011, 04:32 PM
That's really cool, I use a big gun safe that has shelves. Rifles on one side,
heels and makeup on the other!

NathalieX66
06-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Hey, that is awesome!. love the mirror.....I got exactly the same thing for christmas but it's used for tools.
However my makeup kit is a toolbox, but not this one.

Kerrylee61
06-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Been using one for years. Perfect camouflage if you are in need of it. Now days I just use what other ladies use when traveling.

K

NathalieX66
06-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Note the classy plexiglass bins in the lower photo. :fairy3:

Cynthia Anne
06-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I love it!f I throw away 50,000 dollars worth of tools Icould do that! I think not!

Shananigans
06-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Haha that's so awesome! It's so clean and organized too...I'm so proud.

Honestly...I use office supply organizers for my makeup. It's kind of ghetto, I guess...but, it works. I also stand my brushes inside of old scientific beakers that my old college was throwing away because they no longer had the measuring lines on them. I have two huge, rolling, plastic filing system things that I bought from Office Depot that I store the actual makeup inside. On top of the filing bins, I have my perfume and brushes set up. I have it set up so 2 drawers are my lipsticks...3 drawers are eyeshadows...a drawer for mascaras, false lashes, liners, etc...a drawer for foundation, primers, and concealers...a drawer for blushes...so on and so forth.

I got a lot of free makeup in my time and I had to put my foot down on organization. And, I have it set up beside my vanity so it is all right there when I am getting ready.

Daphne Renee
06-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Thats a good idea. I just have a small bag. I got it free the last time I bought some makeup.

divamissz
06-03-2011, 10:13 PM
I used to use tackle boxes, moved into a house with a dressing room so I took over half the drawers. I've joked that some of the people I know ought to buy a big rolling tool chest for their makeup-this is not far off!

I really like how you've set it up; everything is very organized. I'd just hate to have to drag it around if I was going to an event someplace!

Missy Tanya
06-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Totally Cool. But you should change the name too, Craftswoman!!!

Tanya

docrobbysherry
06-04-2011, 12:48 AM
Glad u found something that works for u, Diana! It wouldn't for ME, tho!

I keep a number of Craftsman boxes around. With specialty tools in each one. I used one today to replace a faulty sweat on hose bib!

I would have been VERY UPSET to have discovered I had Mabelline instead of Map gas and plumbing tools in that box!

Eryn
06-04-2011, 12:50 AM
The ironic thing is that I have an old beat-up Max Factor theatrical makeup case with a lid that folds out into multiple trays that I use for my spare hardware collection. Perhaps I should clean it up and put it back to its original purpose! :)

mrortho
06-04-2011, 05:01 PM
WOW, props to you, that is very ingenious!

I keep my makeup inventory sparse since I have to fit everything (clothes, shoes, wig, etc) in one bag.

Eryn
06-04-2011, 05:15 PM
I am always amused with us CDers in that, sometimes, despite our love of femininity, our guyness sometimes leaks through. It's a little bonus!

Now you have to change the badges on the tool chest to
CRAFTSDRESSER

Maiko Newhalf
06-04-2011, 05:27 PM
That's very impressive and seriously it makes a good product. I know I'll be your customer. :)

Leslie Langford
06-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Sure - That's a great idea until the day comes when you forget to lock that Craftsman toolbox, and that just happens to be the day when someone in your family goes rooting around in your garage (or basement, as the case may be) looking for a screwdriver or a pipe wrench, and then...Busted!

It's inevitable. It's also called "Murphy's Law". ;) Better have your alibi ready for that day! :eek::doh::heehee:

Debglam
06-04-2011, 05:50 PM
That is terrific! Here is my "go" box:

You can see that I'm running out of room though!

Eryn
06-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Sure - That's a great idea until the day comes when you forget to lock that Craftsman toolbox,...It's inevitable.

I disagree. If you make locking it a ritual (or even better, automatic when it is closed) then it will always be locked.

Get careless and all bets are off.

Or you can get one of these stickers:

http://www.sella.co.nz/images/thumb/n/7/4/4ryn74-210x158-bg.jpg

tiffanythecd2001
06-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Hi, seen craftsman box's used for lot's thing's, our hospital here use the box on top of the box roller cabnit for all there need'ed surgical stuff, i'm thinking the same thing use a box on top for makeup, mount it solid to top roller cabnit, then on side mount a shallow full length box about a inch er so side protuision mount a door mirror in the back on angle bracket , so you can tip the mirror side too side and up and down as need then on the one by two strips that make the side of box you can fancy those up with mirrors too, now on the other side make same box, except this time put those amish coat hook's i think that what they are call'ed those wooden peg's about 1/8 inch round with a mushroom head on it , i'd say start with a row on top for braclects and the next row in the middel for large necklace and on the door make shallow rack for all your earings, :doll: ,just a few thoughts i had

Samantha43
06-04-2011, 09:36 PM
That's awesome! That is the best idea I have seen in some time. Now I know what my next project will be!

Angie G
06-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Diana I have that same tool box. And I think the tools mat be coming out of it.:hugs:
Angie

Shawnacdin
06-04-2011, 10:15 PM
I am a Craftsman girl and I have to say your boxes are AWESOME!!!!!

Eryn
06-05-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm amazed, we're 35 posts into this thread and nobody has started the "Snap-On is better than Craftsman" flamewar! :angry::argue::angry:

CDers are truly superior life forms! :)

PretzelGirl
06-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Now if you go to a 5 foot tall roll-around, you can put all your jewelry in it. :thinking:

Shelby
06-05-2011, 08:57 PM
I bought a large rolling cabinet Toolbox at a home improvement store to be used for makeup, hair supplies and sewing supplies for our high school theater dept. We used to keep things in little boxes and I noticed that the girls were always carrying them back and forth. So now we have this big cabinet with lots of drawers. It cost us $800. I never saw so many girls excited over a toolbox or guys excited about a makeup cart.

Jannette H
06-05-2011, 09:56 PM
That's a great idea. I have a spare tool box sitting on a shelf empty. Now it's got a use.

TxKimberly
06-05-2011, 10:04 PM
I LOVE the darn thing. i want one!

Eryn
06-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Someone has to make one out of this:

http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/kobalt-53-inch-tool-chest.jpg

Built-in sound system, refrigerator, etc. What's not to like?

MaryAnn40c
06-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Love your box...ahhh err I mean your makeup box...great idea

Farrah
06-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Grreat idea!! I need one of those!!

Carroll
06-06-2011, 05:36 AM
Next time I see one being sold at my store' it's going to make me wonder what they are really buying it for!

erickka
06-06-2011, 05:44 AM
I smell a patent in the works! Way cool Diana.

DAVIDA
06-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Well, that sure gives a new meaning to the phrase: Tools of the trade!:D