PDA

View Full Version : Transgender Insurance Liability

Wendy_Marie
06-03-2011, 02:46 PM
As some of you who have read my thread titled "To Tell or Not to Tell" http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?154248-To-tell-or-not-to-tell...That-is-the-question! already knows...I am in the middle of a job crisis as my employment as a Driver/Transporter with my former company ended 05/31/2011...
I was recently approached by my former Supervisor who has now started up her own Transportation company doing the exact same type of work to see if I was interested in working for her...?
I decided that if I was going to take this job I was going to put all my cards on the table and tell her of my therapy and my Plans for transition in the next year so there would be no surprises or issues later.

I admit that she seemed hesitant at first, then wrote me an e-mail stating that she was fine with my transgender status and that my job offer still stood....
Fast forward now to this afternoon...less than 8-hours after I recieve the first e-mail message and now in another correspondence from her she states that the offer is contingent on what the agent Writing her Insurance policy has to say....?

My question is...Are Transgender persons at a higher risk or viewed as posing a significant Liability to these companies?

My driving Record is nearly spotless...one or two speeding infractions over a span of nearly thirty years, the last one being nearly fifteen years ago...I have absolutely no criminal back ground or history and have worked with this person for the last two years where I have been recognized for my job performance on more than one occasion.

Has anyone else had similiar experience when coming out to work? or am I just getting the long trip around to the brush off?

I'll climb off the soap box for now!

Sophie86
06-03-2011, 03:46 PM
She may be thinking of health insurance issues. I don't know. Maybe she wishes she could withdraw the offer, but is afraid that she would be sued for discrimination?

wadevikingfan
06-03-2011, 04:07 PM
sometimes car insurance people charge more if you are a woman??? and being in the transportation business, there may be hiher rates for a woman??? just a thought???

wendy

GMCD
06-03-2011, 04:27 PM
I would imagine that Sophie is pretty close to the truth. I know that when I was in transition at work there were a number of limits as to what they would and wouldn't pay for and what not. It seems logical that any business owner would want to know what kinds of costs are going to be related to the employment of any potential worker with medically-related issues. Also, I don't think there's so much concern about a woman driver as their might be about a driver who could be a potential target of harassment in the line of her work. Transitioning at work is always a risk and different personalities and ideologies come into play and clashes can, unfortunately, occur. I'm sure that in a trade such as transportation services that there is a fair amount of homophobia and machismo to deal with (I know there was in furniture moving when I transitioned) as well as the potential for clashes with people at the various locations you will pass through as you do your job. All of this presents possible issues for a potential employer and it is just wisdom on their part to educate themselves about the risks and the costs of doing business with a transitioning person on their staff.

I wouldn't say that this is the long road to the brush off, per se. It really does depend on what kind of costs and risks are involved. As far as healthcare, that's really up to the employer and their medical insurer as to what they are willing to pay for (although there may be questions about whether hormones and other therapies will disqualify you from driving commercially or, at least, inhibit your abilities). As for the other liabilities, that is something only your employer can determine for sure. While it is possible that the employer is using the insurance angle as a safe way out of hiring you, it is just as likely and possible that it's all about the bottom line. In these tight financial times you've got to protect the buck you've got.

I hope that doesn't sound too cold, just trying to see a reasonable answer to your question that might help with your concerns.

Much Love!

Michelle Charles
06-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Wondering if there is insurance cost worry of sec change surgery?
Michelle

sissystephanie
06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
As an Insurance Agent myself, I would say that the questions being raised do involve health insurance!! A Full Transition can raise some health problems that did not previously exist!! But it probably will not happen, unless you have a bad doctor!!

Be confident and be happy with your new job!!

Jill Devine
06-03-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm a director of an insurance division at a multinational bank.

It is very unlikely that your status should have a negative impact. You are looking at 2 primary coverages: driver insurance and health. Women are classed as a lower risk as a driver. Now the underwriter might not give you the discount but at worst, nothing changes.

As for health (if your employer offers such a group plan), you could face some exclusions related to possible complications related to SRS. But if you legally adjust your gender status, they can't exclude future female related benefits (like visiting a gynae).

Your employer has nothing to worry about.

Wendy_Marie
06-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the comments....Health Insurance isn't the issue as this job has no benefits....If it is an issue, it has to be about car insurance coverage. My contact with people on this job is actually fairly limited as well. Counselors, Case Workers/Managers, Doctors and even some Law Enforcement Personell...The real problem will be dealing with Families, Parents etc....