PDA

View Full Version : Who has been to Rori's of Chicago

Nancie64
06-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I am planning on going the Chicago way the end of this month and was thinking about stopping there to have a makeover. I have had several in Vegas but this would be a lot closer and I could do it ever few months. Just curious if you girls have had good luck or what are your comments. Help me out..:doh:

mscatie85
06-04-2011, 07:21 AM
I have had an opportunity to visit transformations in the past for a makeover. The staff is friendly and make you feel at home providing you help and advice. The makeover is reasonably priced but you will need your own camera if you want any pictures. To me the store itself is a bit overpriced for what they have. Hope this helps.

divamissz
06-04-2011, 08:54 AM
I went to Rori's when I was in Chicago years ago; this was back when she still had the Oak Lawn location. Her son did my makeup, and did a great job on me. A couple of local girls stopped by, and everyone gave me tips on places to go. I had a great time, and I'd recommend her again.

nancigirl
06-04-2011, 02:49 PM
A few years back i went to Rori's a couple of times. She is wonderful. I would highly recommend her.

Miranda09
06-04-2011, 10:08 PM
I've been to Rori's a couple of times myself and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. She's very friendly, as is her staff, and will provide excellent advice on anything from makeup to wigs to style of dress. Go and have fun. :)

Diane Smith
06-05-2011, 04:29 AM
Rori's is an excellent resource for the community in the Chicago area and I recommend going there highly. If you're a little nervous about being seen in public, you will find a marvelously welcoming and non-judgmental environment there.

I have had a bunch of makeovers at Rori's two different locations over the years. In a way, I think I've outgrown them. I've learned to do a lot of things myself now, and have discovered more mainstream places to get a makeover like MAC, Sephora and Merle Norman, which I think do a more stylish and subtle job in many ways. (On the downside, except for MAC, they're often not as skilled at the special techniques, like beard cover, needed for CDs -- sometimes you need to help them out in that area.) One exception, though -- if you want a really flashy makeup job for a special event or evening outing, Soto's (Rori's son's) work can't be beat. He is a true artist and very talented, but probably not the right choice if you're going for a subtle daytime look to blend into the crowd. Rori's background is in dance and theatre, and this approach to makeup shows in the work she does -- it is definitely artistic but perhaps a bit too heavy and dramatic for some tastes.

Still, if you're going to be in the Chicago area, you should not pass up a chance to visit the store. Check out their website (http://www.transformationsbyrori.com/) and do call ahead for an appointment if you want a makeover. (And ask if Soto will be available to help you!) (When at their website, click on "Calendar" at the top and look at the May, 2009 page ...)

- Diane

Julogden
06-05-2011, 10:58 AM
I've never had a makeover there, but I used to shop in her original Oak Park store back in the 1990's. She and everyone who works in her store are really nice, so be sure to stop in and check out her place. Rori is a real sweetie.

Carol

Nancie64
06-05-2011, 09:00 PM
As the days go by I get a little more excited about going to Chicago and have tried to contact Rori's but have not been had much luck. Will have to decide in the next week or so. I will hope for nice weather so the clothes are comfortable. Thought there would be more girls out there who have visited one of the Chicago places.

Just checked my email and received an answer from Rori's. Now I have to fit it into my schuedle.

DeeArel
06-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Transformations sponors a T party just about every month. May's was on the 17th.

There used to be a group called Island Girls that had a meeting at a restaurant the third Wednesday of the month. The webiste is no longer up.

Paula_56
06-07-2011, 11:26 AM
went to Chicago hoping for new experiences as a woman and was not disappointed. It has become important for me to interact with other people when I go out into the world presenting as a woman. There was a time when just dressing as a woman in the confines of my home or hotel room was enough to satisfy my feminine psyche. There is a certain level of validation that takes place for me when somebody else acknowledges that I am female or a transgendered woman.
The weeks leading up to my trip were filled with preparation and anticipation. I flew endrab to Chicago and got to my hotel around 10:00AM. While checking in the clerk welcomed me and asked if I was there on business or pleasure. I gave my usual fib and told her I was in town for both but today I was going to surprise my sister. I don’t have a sister in Chicago but the key word here is “surprise”.
I went upstairs showered, put on my makeup and fussed and primped a bit too long. I wore black slacks and my red Talbots blazer, with a black shell, and my low heel pumps that I got from Nordstrom’s rack. I made my way down to the front desk at noon and walked up to the desk, smiled and ask for directions to the Wood Field mall. She smiled asked if I was going by taxi or car, and handed me directions. It was after I spoke that I think she realized that something was amiss like I wasn’t really a Miss. I grinned and said well I did I say I was going to surprise my sister. I explained to her that I was looking forward to shopping and lunch. She complemented me on my appearance and said she wished she was going with me. Receiving positive feedback makes me feel fantastic. Even thought this young woman knew I was transgendered, her acceptance definitely made me feel great. It also reinforced my confidence and self-assurance.
Although I could have floated there on my pink cloud, I drove 294N to Arlington Heights to visit Rori’s Transformations. This is a well known store in the Chicago area that provides everything from clothes to makeovers for transgendered people. I didn’t buy anything but met some wonderful girls.
It seems Rori’s is a local meeting place for girls in the area. When I got there I met Olivia and Katie who are both active in the Chicago Gender Society. I spent about two hours talking to these two lovely women. Meeting with and talking to other tgirls is still fairly new to new. All I can say is that it is liberating to speak with someone just like yourself. It’s like meeting another English speaking person in a foreign land.
I headed off to the Wood field mall next. About 30 years ago I made my first business trip ever to Chicago and visited the Wood field mall. I remember buying a pair of black tights at Sears and sneakily leaving the store worried that security would somehow respond, in my mind I could see the SA’s whispering, aghast. There would employee meetings and my picture would be posted at the entrance, perhaps the police and the local news station would be called.
You’ve come a long way baby! That’s what I thought as my heels tapped gently and I made my way into the hosiery department of Sears. Not finding Hanes Silk Reflections Plus, I asked an SA found what I needed chatted at check out and went on way. Dreams can come true girls.
Next I headed over to the cosmetic department of Nordstrom’s and found the NARS SA. A cute young and amiable girl named Miranda. I had discovered NARS Pro-Prime a makeup base that is fantastic, I found it’s great to fill in all those bumps we have on our skin and gives you this wonderfully smooth skin. She was very talkative and sociable; I asked her for help, with blusher and she fixed up my makeup.
Next I told a little fib again, We were talking about makeup and learning new skills, and I told her I was having to learn a lot going thru this period of transition. Her reaction was overwhelmingly positive. I could see her eyes light up. You look great she told me, I couldn’t tell at first she said. Then she gave me an unsolicited complement, “You have a very classic, elegant look” We chatted for about another 15 minutes, about makeup, fashion, and I could tell she was curious about the whole transition thing, by some of the questions she was asking, so I asked her if she would like to know my story and I gave her my elevator speech about being transgendered. The only part that wasn’t true was the part about me moving to Chicago and transitioning. But who knows, maybe it will be true? The gist of it is I feel I did some very positive out reach for transgendered people. What I am finding is that this is a non issue for young people. I believe in the next 10 years, transgendered people are going to be part of everyday life.
My confidence couldn’t get any higher so I went up to Nordstrom’s formal department. Asked if I needed help I told the SA I was shopping for a dress for an upcoming wedding. She brought several dresses, in and I was her only customer. She was having as much fun as me I was it seemed, She couldn’t stop bring me dresses, I would try them on all different sizes and stand on this platform and in front of a three way mirror. She complemented me on my shoes and legs. It was surreal. I really couldn’t believe this was happening to me. This woman wasn’t just being polite to the tranny, you could sense a sincerity and enthusiasm. I felt bad not buying a dress. I do recommend Nordstrom’s anywhere, go between 1 and 3 on a weekday and it will be slow and the SA’s are happy to help.
On last stop at a Dress barn to look for a pair of skinny jeans to go with a new black cowl neck sweater I bought at Kohl’s. Once a again a young SA was super helpful bring me all kind of jeans and we finally settled on a pair of jeggings to go with my sweater.
I got back to the hotel and tried on my new jeggings and sweater and went off to Magiangnios Little Italy across the parking lot. My confidence took a bit of a hit, Although everyone was nice and helpful, I felt a bit out of place. Afterward when I got back to the hotel I decided that the jeggings were a bit too much for a 52 year old woman. I guess I let the SA’s complements at the Dress Barn go to my head.
After starting my day at 04:30AM and running on adrenalin until 9:00PM I was EXHAUSTED. Even the next day I was slated to go to a CGS meeting but I just could do it. The last night I was there I did get dressed and go to Nordstrom’s Rack to look for shoes and then shopped the Oakwood mall. I stopped by the MAC counter and tried and bought a new foundation. Here the SA was nice and helpful. I asked her how long it took for her to read me. She said it wasn’t until I came close and started to talk. I thank her for being so helpful. She told me one of the girls in the store had a father who was trans.
My confidence, is building, I am relaxed and now can enjoy expressing my feminine side while just living, Dressing enfemme is starting to lose the extraordinariness it once had. I just get dressed and go out and do the things I want to do that day or evening. I realize that it is truly a gift to be able to experience the world as woman to be able to cross over into another dimension of our culture. The more I do so the more I appreciate women and understand how special they are and what problems they face. I have admired the house of womanhood all my life, I have now ventured inside and am excited about explore all of the rooms.