PDA

View Full Version : Flying en femme (sort of)

Sometimes Steffi
06-04-2011, 06:41 AM
I have a business trip to Denver, and I already made plans to meet some girls (from this board) out there, and I have my girl clothes packed under my boy clothes.

But, it just occurred to me that this is an opportunity to fly sort of en femme.

By that I mean girl clothes, but no forms, wig, or makeup, so a man in a skirt, well actually girl jeans.

Here's what I was thinking

Padded panties (of course)

Girl jeans - There's no way you'd mistake my girl jeans for boy jeans unless you were blind. I was thinking of (a) some clear embellishments on the back pockets, or (b) a lot of pink stones on the from pockets.

Shelf bra/cami with underwire

Shaping cami over that

girl top, either (a) a hot pink T-shirt, or (b) a pinkish res polo shirt

pink girl ankle socks

Girl shoes, either (a) Dansko clogs or (b) girl Nikes

I'm taking a cab to the airport.

What do you think? Should I go for it? And what options?

Staci G
06-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Look at TXKimberly posts, she travels enfem all the time I don't think she has many if any problems. I'd say go for it if you want to. Myself I'd be a nervous wreck which would turn into a hot mess. So yeah do it.

noeleena
06-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Hi,

Not only flying .any form of transport .

Flying is not a problem unless you make it one ive been to Thailand Austraila & parts of N Z mind you i talk to people all the time so just get on with people how your dressed makes little difference well should not any way. if you do go dressed then go fully dressed do it in a nice manner & youll be surprised how well it goes greet people with a smile say hi just be friendly talk about any thing i do & thats how i get on with people

Oh . have a good time .

...noeleena...

Starr
06-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Remember one thing, if you are wearing a bra/cami with underwire... the wire may set off the metal detector.. and you will be pulled a side and hand screened. Not that it would be a real problem, just don't fall apart if it does and explain it to the hand screener in the private area.

TxKimberly
06-04-2011, 09:05 AM
A bra will not set off the metal detector. Thousands of women go through those machines every day and so they are specifically set up to allow very small amounts of metal as from an underwire bra.
Related to that though is the issue of breast forms and the new full body scanners. I have been given the personal inspection at every single airport I've gone through that had the full body scanner because of my breast forms. Apparently they are quite obvious on that kind of scanner. The screening agents all just wink at me, and so far every single one has grinned and said "Yes, the machine must have picked up your inderwire bra, but it is clear that it is the breast forms and not the bra that cause the inspection.

Nicole Erin
06-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Ok this subject comes up all the time -
May I ask what is SO exciting about wearing a dress on an airplane? I mean is it really THAT big a thrill?

Barbra P
06-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi Steffi

I guess I don’t understand why you would wear padded panties, girl jeans with some clear embellishments on the back pockets, or a lot of pink stones on the front pockets. Plus shelf bra/cami with underwire, shaping cami, a girl top, (hot pink T-shirt, or pinkish res polo shirt), pink girl ankle socks, and girl shoes. But leave out the breast forms, wig, and makeup. I admit that I don’t know how you look naturally, but this mode of dress sounds like you are going to look like a “man in a dress”, or in your case a man wearing very feminine attire and I think that many people are going to be curious. On the other hand, your avatar shows a very acceptable looking woman, one that most of the other flyers probably aren’t going to read. If I had your face I’d travel entirely enfemme, a nice conservative outfit that would be comfortable to fly in, forms, and conservative makeup appropriate for traveling, enough to make it difficult to read you but not so much that it draws unwanted attending – in other words you don’t want to look like you are headed for a Club Night rather than a flight.

Look at a few of Kimberly’s posts, like this one http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?146548-But-will-it-play-in-Peoria&highlight= or this one http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?153207-Watch-What-You-Wish-For!&highlight= if you want some pointers about flying enfemme. I can’t say for sure, never having met Kimberly in person, but I don’t think I’d suspect that lovely lady wasn’t anything but a woman when I passed her in an airport, and I’d love to sit next to her on a flight.

TxKimberly
06-04-2011, 10:47 AM
May I ask what is SO exciting about wearing a dress on an airplane? I mean is it really THAT big a thrill?

Erin,

I cant speak for the others, but for me it isn't so much about cross dressing on an airplane as it is about making the best of the time that I have to spend traveling. As a result of my job as a field service engineer, I spend something like 20 hours a week on airplanes and in airports. For me, it is more about taking advantage of this 20 hours of "dead" time in my week to be pretty and enjoy myself and the fact that it is in airplanes and airports is secondary and largely irrelevant to me.
The upside though is that it DOES provide for interesting moments that I can blog about! :D

Sometimes Steffi
06-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Not going fully en femme is primarily due to logistics.

I am taking a cab to the airport, and they are expecting to pick up Mr. X. I will only have about 30 minutes of alone time to dress. I'm not sufficiently confident in my presentation to go to the airline counter and TSA presenting fully female with my male ID.

Also, while I truly appreciate your comment on my profile pic, that pic was taken after a 1-hour make over at Amanda's. I'm not nearly that passable on my own.

But your advice hit the nail on the head. Will I stand out as a guy in a dress and attract unwanted attention, or will I fly under the radar? I'm only going forward if I think I can fly (mostly) under the radar.

AnnaCalliope
06-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I have a business trip to Denver, and I already made plans to meet some girls (from this board) out there, and I have my girl clothes packed under my boy clothes.

But, it just occurred to me that this is an opportunity to fly sort of en femme.

By that I mean girl clothes, but no forms, wig, or makeup, so a man in a skirt, well actually girl jeans.

Here's what I was thinking

Girl jeans - There's no way you'd mistake my girl jeans for boy jeans unless you were blind. I was thinking of (a) some clear embellishments on the back pockets, or (b) a lot of pink stones on the from pockets.

Shaping cami over that

girl top, either (a) a hot pink T-shirt, or (b) a pinkish res polo shirt

pink girl ankle socks

Girl shoes, either (a) Dansko clogs or (b) girl Nikes

I'm taking a cab to the airport.

What do you think? Should I go for it? And what options?

This is actually how I dress almost everyday. Women's jeans, top, shoes, nail polish, and light make-up. Of course I've got naturally long hair, a somewhat feminine shaped face. Also, I have been dressing in this androgynous/femme style for over 6 months now, so I'm very confident in my walk and attitude, and the odd looks, stares and remarks only strengthen my resolve.

Personally, if this is your first outing like this, going like this to the Airport, especially DC, is a huge step. Expect to a get a few looks, and a bit of confusion. I'd go with the clear embellished jeans, the polo top and girl nikes. Just hold your head high, and smile at everyone who meets your gaze. Most people will smile back and go about their business.

I do not recommend doing this if you've never been out en femme, or if you have, and still have not gotten over your "everyone is staring at me" fear.

Sometimes Steffi
06-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Erin,

I cant speak for the others, but for me it isn't so much about cross dressing on an airplane as it is about making the best of the time that I have to spend traveling. As a result of my job as a field service engineer, I spend something like 20 hours a week on airplanes and in airports. For me, it is more about taking advantage of this 20 hours of "dead" time in my week to be pretty and enjoy myself and the fact that it is in airplanes and airports is secondary and largely irrelevant to me.
The upside tough is that it DOES provide for interesting moments that I can blog about! :D

To expand on what Kimberly said, my wife is not very understanding or accepting, so the only times I get to dress are when either she's out of town, or I am. So, I'm just exploring how to make the most of the time out of town. I'm also looking at this as a trial run for flying fully en femme.

This is actually how I dress almost everyday. Women's jeans, top, shoes, nail polish, and light make-up. Of course I've got naturally long hair, a somewhat feminine shaped face. Also, I have been dressing in this androgynous/femme style for over 6 months now, so I'm very confident in my walk and attitude, and the odd looks, stares and remarks only strengthen my resolve.

Personally, if this is your first outing like this, going like this to the Airport, especially DC, is a huge step. Expect to a get a few looks, and a bit of confusion. I'd go with the clear embellished jeans, the polo top and girl nikes. Just hold your head high, and smile at everyone who meets your gaze. Most people will smile back and go about their business.

I do not recommend doing this if you've never been out en femme, or if you have, and still have not gotten over your "everyone is staring at me" fear.

I'm naturally bald, and a neutral face, except for the somewhat heavy beard. I wouldn't come close to passing without a wig and makeup.

I have been out numerous times, but mostly to CD friendly venues. However, I did go to the Maryland Renaissance Festival en femme a couple of times alone. There were tens of thousands of people there, and most ignored me and a smile disarmed most of the rest.

I'm still thinking about my comfort level.

Sometimes Steffi
06-12-2011, 03:41 PM
So I did it without any problem. I followed Anna Marie's advice, that is minimally femme.

Girl jeans with some clear embellishments on the back pockets

Shaping cami over that

girl top, a pinkish red polo shirt

pink girl ankle socks

Girl shoes, girlish looking boy Nikes (pink, purple, tourquoise and white, with pink laces.

And, of course, as everyone has said, no problems. I did get a few strange looks, which I ignored, and one terribly cute GG tried to strike up a conversation. I'm sure she knew, but I think her male travelling companion was clueless, and I didn't want to flirt with his girl, although I was sorely tempted.

Maybe next time fully femme. I'll still have to figure out how to inconspicuously use the woman's room. And I'll have to be comfortable sitting next to a couple of random strangers who might not really be understanding.

LeannL
06-12-2011, 05:39 PM

In addition to what TxKimberly said, all of which is very true, I would add that the idea of doing something from which there is no escape is part of the challenge. When I started flying en femme if forced me to relax and learn to cope with whatever happened. I have relatively minor problems except for the time my 6 hours in the air turned into 14 hours. I have had to deal with keeping a straight face when check-in people didn't quite know what to say and said some silly things but overall, it is just another time to be out and about in clothing I find comfortable.

Leann

Fab Karen
06-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Pretty much what makes sneakers "girl" sneakers is the color(s). & not many people would notice whether jeans are "girl jeans" or "guy jeans." ( I suppose maybe if they had something like "SEXY" across the butt in rhinestones )

Vickie_CDTV
06-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Regardless of how you dress, you deserve a gold medal for putting up with the frustration and indignity of air travel today.

If you are not wearing clothing that is obviously female-only (skirt or dress or wig or forms), why would there be a problem? People may notice and look at you oddly but you shouldn't have any problem (beyond the usual problems of air travel of course.)