PDA

View Full Version : Rate your passability and what you need help with

Briana90802
06-05-2011, 10:25 AM
It would seem to me that being GM we could be objective about our passability in public. Personally I doubt I could pass because I have a med to large Adams apple, I still need help finding the right makeup and I have the deep voice. So I'd probably rate my passability as a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

So my question is how passable are you and what are the things that you need help with? Maybe we can all help each other out with a few tips to achieve our goals and boost our confidence.

BiancaEstrella
06-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Overall, I'd say a 3.5 out of 10. I have a pretty strong sense of women's fashion (and specifically, what works for me) which bumps that up.

On sunny fall/winter days, I can throw on large sunshades, a layer on the shoulders, and a scarf and knock off three of my biggest issues (pronounced eyebrow ridge, man shoulders, Adam's apple). I can't really do anything about the size 13 feet or the 8.25" hands other than put on pretty, distracting polish and maybe a bracelet or two. I'm still learning the basics of doing makeup so not much advice there.

Barbara Dugan
06-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I am pretty sure my rate of passability is 1 if not zero, I am kind of tall for a Hispanic girl but I will try my best to be an attractive transgender individual

Julogden
06-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm not passable, period. Too tall (6'5") and too heavy (not telling). The best I can hope for is tolerance and acceptance if I go out in public. But I feel that tolerance and acceptance are very good things, so there is a brighter side to not being passable.

My main concern is that I look ridiculous. I've had self-esteem issues all my life.

Carol

AnnaCalliope
06-05-2011, 10:56 AM
I want to say a 7/10, but when we grade ourselves we tend to give a higher score than we might actually deserve. Still I believe I'm quite passable, as long as I don't speak. I have a moderately deep voice, but working on speech techniques to change that.

Stephanie47
06-05-2011, 11:15 AM
On a scale of one to ten? How about zero? At six foot and 210 lbs. with a male shape, I would not pass. Many times I look at a larger sized woman to try to see if there is something that sets them apart from a male. Women carry their weight differently than men. The facial bones seem to be decidedly 'womanly' or 'feminine.' A close shave and makeup just cannot conceal the physique of a man. Even when I compare my image in a mirror with a photograph, my mind seems to make be slimmer than the actual image to others.

An Adam's apple is easily concealed with a scarf and placement of long hair.

I rate Barbara Melendez higher than a one. She seems to have the figure to pass.

Oh, to be slender and only five foot eight! Maybe next time around.

sandra-leigh
06-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Experimentally, zero: it is quite rare for people to call me "ma'm" and quite common for people to call me "sir" even when I'm in dress and makeup and heels and carrying a purse.

Why? No-one really knows. I don't have an Adam's apple, my eyebrows are not very pronounced, my size is very similar to GG my own age, and especially if I'm tired my face looks very much like my mother's face. My therapist says that all she notices is my beard shadow, but I've had too many people recognize me from quite a distance in bad light for that to be the operative factor.

Now, on the other hand, the portion of people who treat gender-variant me as being a quite normal sight is pretty high. If passing has to do with acceptance rather than with people recognizing natal biology, then I pass well.

If I cared more about being thought of as female rather than about being myself, then I would need to work on my voice. And I'd probably have to relearn how to walk -- about the only GG that I know who walks faster than I do is my sister!

Karren H
06-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Passing is like swimming... You either can or you can't.. Being 90% able to swim still means your going to drown if you go into the water!! Lol That said... I don't pass, imho and I don't care... As long as I look good and people don't harass me, I'm happy to go out enfemme..

Melissa_Ky
06-05-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm 6'4", 260 lbs, build like a line backer, large frame, deep voice. etc. My passability index is 1! Dang it. I wish I were a 5'4", small frame, female!

hema
06-05-2011, 12:30 PM
passability = 4
probably i wud go well with indian attires and dresses
but i don think i wud go well wit western out fits.... lol... tat s bcuz , the whole town wud look at me, if i dressed in gowns and frocks and stroll in public
haven tried ,
and wud love to ve a 10 :D :D

Nikki A.
06-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm 6ft and a size 20. Therefore physically I don't think I pass and give myself a 3 (walking by not really paying attention and if I don't open my mouth). On the other hand I've had people who've told me that I'm no beauty by any means, but when dressed up nobody could be absolutely sure, even if the did pay attention unless I open my mouth. So I guess I rate a 7 or so. And honestly I really don't care if I pass or not, just treat me normally.

Stephanie Miller
06-05-2011, 12:51 PM
On a beach in a swimsuit…. 0
On the street in a Burka….. 10
In a fashion mall mall where 50% of the people aren’t looking at you anyways…… 5
Walmart ….. 7
In a restaurant where the waiter/waitress is bucking for a big tip….. 9
In a restaurant where the waiter/waitress’s tip just went to diddly …… 0

mrortho
06-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Maybe a 7-8? Others have said that I can totally pass, maybe when I see myself, I 'know' the male underneath?

I'm over 6' tall and even taller in heels, about 200lbs, but I'm working to lose some fat around my midsection.
Also need to work on my make-up, eyebrows (how to cover up) and my female voice.
I'm an ectomorph, so I consider myself lucky in some respects.

VioletJourney
06-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't know how passable I am, but given that I'm 5'10 and have broad shoulders, probably not very.

Except on the phone. I've been called ma'am on the phone even when I don't want to.

JaytoJillian
06-05-2011, 01:23 PM
... I will try my best to be an attractive transgender individual

Amen!!!! My thoughts exactly!

thechic
06-05-2011, 01:39 PM
I would not know how passable I am,i know i always get mistaken for being the mother of my kids when out,so i must pass a small amount,but i cant see myself or talk to myself as someone else.my voice is the only thing that i know passes easily.

Tina B.
06-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Pass no not really, but I do my best, I've been told I have a great sense of style, and get asked for opinions on it, I can do a great make up job most days, but when everything is said and done when I look in that mirror all I ever see is a happy guy in a dress!
Tina B.

StephanieC
06-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I would have absolutely no way of determining that

silhouette
06-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Passing is like swimming... You either can or you can't.. Being 90% able to swim still means your going to drown if you go into the water!! Lol That said... I don't pass, imho and I don't care... As long as I look good and people don't harass me, I'm happy to go out enfemme..

Well karren, i disagree with your binary thinking here.
Here's why - when i've gone out dressed a couple of times now, and I'll get hollered at from cars.. or checked out by guys... but then when they get a little closer I'll hear "oh shit it's a guy!" lmao.

Soooo.. I think there is something as passing from a distance ;p
I don't think they would have sounded shocked that i was a guy if they didn't think i was a girl before they got closer.

Also I am reeeally tall, especially in heels where i am like 6'9" so that's kinda funny but girls can be tall too.
I think it's probably more common to see a really tall girl out in public than a cd

Kathryn Philips
06-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Face-on (like what I see in the mirror) and with a proper makeover I think I would be quite passable 7/10. I also believe that my voice and facial expressions are quite passable. But seen sideways, I am not passable at all 2/10. I would need to remove body hair, specially my hands which cannot be concealed (other than using gloves).

Rachel Morley
06-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I think there is something as passing from a distance ;p
I agree with this comment. I am a small person (5ft 4ins) and if I keep my body movements as non-masculine as I can, I think I pass ok from a distance. Up close? Ah, that's different. I have no clue what number on the scale I would be. If I speak, forget about it! Just because most people either ignore me or seem to treat me as the gender I am presenting as, does not mean I passed. It just means they're being polite. How can anyone know what anther person is really thinking?

Fab Karen
06-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I find it easy to pass when others are remaining still. It can be difficult when others are moving quickly.

sara.s
06-05-2011, 06:30 PM
I pass very easily (with proper makeover of coarse) but I still look like my male self :cry:

Today I told my my ex classmate about my new girlfriend and emailed a pic of me holding Sara (her height shortened and face softened). She instantly recognized me and started laughing. She did tell me that my gf (Sara) was more beautiful than her, but her figuring Sara out so easily pi**ed me off. That means I will not be posting frontal face pics anymore, nor will I be able to fool anyone who knows me as a male.:eek:

Shananigans
06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Look, on this site I quite often get told that I am "passable." Literally, go to my page and read a few responses...the rest are in PM.

What is funny is that I'm a GG. I don't advertise anywhere that I am a GG aside from my about me. I just don't really care about throwing it out there too much that I'm a GG. I also don't get offended if people think I look like a CD passing as a woman. It's whatever, really.

My point is that worrying if you are "passable" or not seems like a waste of time. Even GGs are questionable sometimes ;) Literally everyone that has a picture of themselves as their avatar that has responded to this thread I think looks beautiful. I don't really know on a scale of how womanly you look because all women come in different packages. Some more manly or androgynous than others. So, it also depends on what ideal you are stacking yourself up against.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
06-05-2011, 07:49 PM
I am passable on a four lane highway traveling below the speed limit. Give me a honk and I even pull to the side to allow one to pass.

I am also passable at a gym that is frequented by female bodybuilders, just don't let me shower :).

DeeDeeB
06-05-2011, 07:56 PM
It depends on the circumstances. I've been called Ma'am and I've been called pervert. Even most drag queens don't really pass if you look closely. But I don't think that is what is what we are about. I believe we are about the freedom of expressing ourselves as who we are. The laws are on our side in most states, and hopefully we'll be included in ENDA, but our real challnge is the everyday people we encounter. I've seen crossdressers (who I don't think pass) going about everyday business without challenge. Passing is the grail of cding, and safety is of paramount importance, but let us be the best we can, as who we are.

DeeDee :fairy1:

Simply_Vanessa
06-05-2011, 08:30 PM
sometimes I pass when im not even in girl mode. when im in boy mode, i think a good portion of people actually think im a girl trying to be a guy :heehee:

i've been going out in public for two years now, and i've never had so much as an awkward glance, let alone actual verbal harassment or anything like that, anywhere Ive been. so id like to say I pass well enough that it makes me forget about trying to be a fake guy :) im sure ive been clocked before but when you come to love yourself, what society thinks of you doesnt really matter. so I dont let it hold me back.

I just need to finish losing my weight, muscle, and finish growing out my hair. I think i'll be much better 10 months from now :)

Pythos
06-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Well quite possibly if looks were all that mattered. I could use better breast forms, and perhaps some hip and rear padding. But the rest of me, my voice, and movement are a pretty dead give away...at least I think so. I do move more gracefully than many males, but I am clumsy compared to many women.

Danni Renee
06-05-2011, 09:03 PM
I would rate myself a 1. My posture and the way I walk would be a dead giveaway even before I opened my mouth to speak.

Briana90802
06-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Walmart ….. 7

That's so funny!! At walmart I think everyone is a 10. Have you ever seen the "people of walmart" pictures? As long as you aren't a fashion faux pas nobody cares.

Karren H
06-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Well karren, i disagree with your binary thinking here.
Here's why - when i've gone out dressed a couple of times now, and I'll get hollered at from cars.. or checked out by guys... but then when they get a little closer I'll hear "oh shit it's a guy!" lmao.

Soooo.. I think there is something as passing from a distance ;p
I don't think they would have sounded shocked that i was a guy if they didn't think i was a girl before they got closer.

Also I am reeeally tall, especially in heels where i am like 6'9" so that's kinda funny but girls can be tall too.
I think it's probably more common to see a really tall girl out in public than a cd

Don't forget to add velocity to the equation.... The faster you go in relation to the viewer, the more passable you are?

PretzelGirl
06-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Do I pass? Not on your life. But I shoot for the blend goal. I know people will clock me, I just want most of them who aren't paying attention to walk on by and for those that look, the best being someone going "was that a ....". A little doubt buys you enough time to get out of earshot. Keeps the self confidence up that way. :heehee:

Missy Tanya
06-05-2011, 11:01 PM

That's great, just how I feel.. And I never had a bad experience going out and about. I guess I'm better at dressing pretty than swimming.. And many, many years ago I had a Life Guard Cert.

Tanya

Eryn
06-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Don't forget to add velocity to the equation.... The faster you go in relation to the viewer, the more passable you are?

Hmm, there is a limit. I've never been 100% sure of someone being a CDer in public and I certainly wouldn't even think of asking, but a couple of the ladies who have tweaked my CD meter have done so by the speed at which they were shopping. Women don't dart through a clothing store. They pause and browse the merchandise. I'd say that walking too fast is a very good way to get read.

In my case, it's pretty tough. I'm at the 99th percentile for women's height. Given good makeup and a flattering and blending outfit I could probably pass a casual walk-by at 20 feet, but anything closer and I don't know if I could hold the illusion together for long.

Still, check out the GGs around us. There are a lot of GGs that have a masculine quality or even several qualities. Despite these, they have no trouble passing because they are GGs and don't give a thought to passing. The attitude carries the day.

I present, for your consideration, Carmen Miranda:

UNDERDRESSER
06-06-2011, 12:01 AM
I've never tried to pass, ( or even fully dress ) but if I did, I think, with professional makeup help, ( a lot of it ) and careful dressing, careful walking, and keeping my mouth SHUT, I could pass. As a fairly average older woman. ( at best )

I'd like to try it sometimes, just to see what I could achieve, but it's not something that really interests me. If I'd thought to do it 25 years ago ( and 60 pounds ago ) I think I could have come up with something fairly attractive, which I would have been more interested in.

These days, if I won the lottery, I'd go all out on trying to be more ...beautiful? as a male.

Schatten Lupus
06-06-2011, 12:22 AM
In all reality, my passability is a zero. I say this because if you are to look at me straight in the face you will see at least a beard a shadow, even if I have just finished shaving. I have been ma'amed several times but never from a front view when someone has seen my face, and really if your face is 100% male, then there is no true since of passing. The reason my hand is covering the lower part of my face in my profile picture, and you really can't see my face in my avatar.0

winny
06-06-2011, 12:25 AM
i would only rate myself a 5 or 6 on passability... i need to work on voice, getting a wig, and mannerisms..

frankly i don't care if i pass... i am happy to go out enfemme..

Maddie22
06-06-2011, 12:37 AM
If I were posing with a WNBA team that were in their formal attire, I'd blend in and pass just fine.

On a regular basis, I stick out a bit more. However if I were to transition completley, I think I would pass. Most people would be pretty taken back by my height, but I'm pretty thin for being 6'5'' (195 lbs). I think confidence has an important factor. Other things which can be changed like facial hair and body hair, even changing voice pitch and not having to wear a wig and using light foundation, I would be able to blend in then even with my height.

Then again, I could be dreaming!

Violetgray
06-06-2011, 12:54 AM
I also don't get offended if people think I look like a CD passing as a woman. It's whatever, really.

Well the GG's are greatly outnumbered on this site, so people here naturally just assume the average person is a t-girl. So don't blame them if they say "Wow! She's Gorgeous!" ;-)

I'll point out though, that someone who "looks like a cd passing as a woman" is an oxymoron.

I think that passing is for the most part circumstantial. On average I'd rate myself 6 on bad days, and 8 on my best days. Here's a few things I've noticed:

I tend to pass more at a distance (of course)
I tend to pass more on photo than in video, and more in video than in person (of course)
I tend to get read more by other African Americans.
I tend to get pass more in nightclubs.

I would probably pass more if I were on hormones, had an actual weave or extensions instead of a wig, and had my ears pierced.

Genivieve
06-06-2011, 03:49 AM
With the perfect makeup and clothes 5 maybe? My shoulders, nose, and voice give it away. I hope I can blend sometime...thats a start.

JodieGreen
06-06-2011, 04:19 AM
i honestly have no idea

but last time i went out in public i got hit on three times in a row by guys with in 10 minutes :P

was at a gay club so im not sure that counts : \

joanna4
06-06-2011, 04:52 AM
I really don't know, I really like to think that I pass. I'm 5'4" and weigh 120 lbs. Being thin, I have curves and I keep my legs feminine.

Alisa
06-06-2011, 05:21 AM
So my question is how passable are youOn a scale from 1 to 10, I'd say 0 may be a 1 on a good day.
and what are the things that you need help with?Just about everything but there are some things that just can't be helped... big man hands for example.
Maybe we can all help each other out with a few tips to achieve our goals and boost our confidence.As I said can't hope to increase on the pass meter but may be someday I can be comfortable enough with myself to go out.

erickka
06-06-2011, 05:36 AM
I don't pass, Don't care if I do, but better makeup skills would surely make me feel better about myself.

noeleena
06-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Hi.

Quite interesting ,

I dont need to pass because im a woman. how i look or as seen is another matter. as my friends have said tho may not apply to many of you here is , any way it may .

We come in all shapes & sizes we dont all look the same . we are just different so is there a set way that we should all look . no of cause not .
Now i accept & know most here would look better than i as to passing very much so.

i think we all live in the real world of people . you know work club's group's, & so on. i know what you'r getting at , its a affermation of do i blend in , do i fit in . well im involved with 100' s of people if i get 5 out of every 100 who cant accept me then i ether pass or im accepted for who i am. & i dont in my eye's pass yet i do in my own way so as a woman i do. so , as my pic is of me you can say if i do or not.

...noeleena...

Sarasometimes
06-06-2011, 06:58 AM
I also disagree with the swimming analogy. I think our audience and how well we put ourselves together on any given day inpacts our rating. I can "blend" in an audience that doesn't have a real interest in the particulars of those around them, ie the mall (no teen girls present), supermarket, target Walmart...Quite the opposite when the audience is aware of those around them. Generally, if I do my own makeup a 6. Pro makeup done. 7.5 to 8. I do agree with Karren about just not wanting to get hassled. That is what I call "blendable". Where we go is a huge factor in meeting the hassle-free goal. I swim (0% and float the other 10,

Shananigans
06-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Well the GG's are greatly outnumbered on this site, so people here naturally just assume the average person is a t-girl. So don't blame them if they say "Wow! She's Gorgeous!" ;-)

I'll point out though, that someone who "looks like a cd passing as a woman" is an oxymoron.

haha it IS totally oxymoronic. You have to live inside my head before I can make sense sometimes. Anyway, what I should have said was that it doesn't bother me if people say I look like a passable CD (or not passable, for that matter). I think it's hard for GGs to even live up to the expectations that you set for yourselves. And, as far as I have seen on this site, GGs are almost always judged for their shortcomings...especially the way GGs dress and act "nowadays."

p.s. You look quite "passable" in your avatar. If you weren't on this site, I'd assume you were a GG.

Daphne Renee
06-06-2011, 08:37 AM
well. Assuming a spent enough money (quality breast forms and wig , makeup done professionally ) I would said maybe an 8 to 8.5 .. I am not tall (only about 5'6) not that heavy either. However if I didnt do all that I would say maybe a 5 or 6.
As I get older though I care less and less about what other people think.

laura.lapinski
06-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I'd love to find out. I think I could look good. Passing? Not sure about that. My 5 O'clock shawdow would need a hot close shave and a foundation and whatever else they put on. I'm fairly thin, and not too tall at five-nine. With the right clothes, I'd like to think I'd look like a 7.

RenneB
06-06-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm 5-8 and 193 and droping. Down 25 lbs in just the past three months since joining and seeing all these girls here. I will most likely always be in the "no passing" zone, but at a distance, I think I'm probably a 3 for 10 being GG. For that matter, I've run into some GGs that don't "pass" very well. But I keep trying. I think that with a few more tweeks and a few less lbs, I'm ready for the great outdoors and actually do a shopping run en fem....

Renne.....

Briana90802
06-06-2011, 09:01 AM

I'd have to disagree. When people are in a pool they swim, they drown and they float. I know from personal experience the GGs I sometimes see, thier looks can be very androgenous. So passing is very subjective.

MsKimiko
06-06-2011, 09:22 AM
I think that my passability ends after pics and video chat. I am still working on my walk and talk. But if we are just talking about pictures I think I'm an 8. As far as being outside, I've never been so let's say a 5

Angiemead12
06-06-2011, 09:49 AM
I think Im a 4-5 only as Im 5'11, broad shoulders, big feet and hands! But I do make a pretty transgendered girl :)

Anne2345
06-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Being 2,543,765.83 feet tall kinda takes me out of the realm of passability. But that's ok! I love what I do, regardless! :)

Kim_Bitzflick
06-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Good question.

To start with, there are MANY girls here that I think could pass easily that rate them selves far lower than I would rate them. I think some of us are too hard on our selves.

I'd like to think I pass, but I know I don't sometimes. I've been out quite a bit & I have always been treated as the lady I present. I would have to say I'm about a 7 on the passability scale. I've tried to ask my wife and she says she can't judge because she still sees me as the same person. I think I'll post a video here & get everyone's opinion.

but in the end, I'm glad I can just get out and enjoy presenting as the girl I like to be.

Kathi Lake
06-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Like Kim, I would rate myself much lower than perhaps others would. I liken it to when I used to build furniture. People would gush over it, saying it was museum-quality, etc. but I would know every nick, every bad join, every warp and more. We are great at seeing our faults where others see nothing.

I am 5'10" tall. I have hands big enough for a full-octave reach or more on the piano. Though I am getting laser - and it is working great - there is still a bit of shadow on a very masculine face. I have very little fat to smooth my appearance, so every vein, muscle, and tendon just 'pops' out of my skin. With all that taken into account, I would say that my 'passing score' is around a 4-5 as a woman. As my makeup skills have increased from the disastrous attempts of my earlier outings, I get much fewer, "Whoa, dude! That's a dude!!" these days. :)

That said, I have another passing score; As Kathi, I pass as a perfect 10! Whether they see me as a man or as a woman, I take great pains to ensure that they see me as me. I don't try to disguise my voice or my mannerisms or anything else. What you see - whether good or bad - is what you get with me. I love it because I am comfortable as me - which is good because I don't know how to be anyone else!

:)

Kathi

Shananigans
06-06-2011, 11:11 AM
P.S. Remember that GGs are tall too. I'm 5'10" and a I wear high heels (3 inchers) most days of the week now. (Wedges are so awesome!)

Don't let being tall make you feel less womanly.

BillieJoEllen
06-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Even though I'm tall and fairly heavy I can sometimes pass (especially at night) as long as I don't have to talk....
Karen, I think after looking at your pictures that you are close to a 9 or 10 as far as passing. I don't know about your voice but you do look good.

Debra Russell
06-06-2011, 11:44 AM
On a beach in a swimsuit…. 0
On the street in a Burka….. 10
In a fashion mall mall where 50% of the people aren’t looking at you anyways…… 5
Walmart ….. 7
In a restaurant where the waiter/waitress is bucking for a big tip….. 9
In a restaurant where the waiter/waitress’s tip just went to diddly …… 0

My sentiments exactly! This weekend at a restaurant my wife noticed a group of ladies seated at a table close to ours (I was in boy mode) and said are those men? All of them had on cute little hats -- I answered "If they are there doing a good job" --well they were not CD's; my wifes radar is up all the time! The fact is it can be hard to tell and I like to put myself in this catagory -- as for a number ? not sure. My wife says I look like a man in a dress, my sister-in-law discribed a pic of me as a Kim Novak look alike - so if it's a number maybe a 5
As what areas I need help with,voice and all maner of male dead give aways that we all stumble over when trying to present as female

eluuzion
06-06-2011, 12:28 PM
:)

I agree with Karren...

When somebody passes (on), they are dead.

You can't be "a little bit" dead. You either "passed on" or you are alive.

It is not a judgement you can personally surmise. It is based upon the acceptance by outsiders. "Beauty is always through the eyes of the beer-holder, er, ah...beholder. :heehee:

It is sort of like asking somebody if they think they should be President, lol.

:love:

Shelly Preston
06-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I can fool some of the people all of the time

I can fool all of the people some of the time

No way could I fool all of the people all the time

All I can do is look my best and hope I get treated with respect :)

silkyness
06-06-2011, 02:04 PM
0/10. I'm 60lbs away from my goal of 140lbs. Face looks fat and belly is fat. I guess I'm normal weight for males my age, but that isn't who I want to be.

kendra_gurl
06-06-2011, 03:34 PM
At 60 its getting more and more difficult to look the way I like to look I'm very fortunate to be 5'9" medium frame with small hands that in now way could ever palm more than a soccerball at most. With artificial nails they look quite feminine. My weight could stand to be about 25 lbs less but it hides very well in a tightlaced corset and I still need to pad the hips. I have totally passed and really had people shocked when I tell them I am male and on the very same day seen GG's whispering to their husbands about me (suspecting they read me). I do enjoy dressing a little more provocative than most GG's of my age so that could contribute to me not passing as well as I might.

I think I have the mannerisms down pretty well as in walking with shorter steps holding my shoulders back and my head up plus keeping my arms closer to my body. so many men walk like weight lifters. Key here is wherever you are to act like you own the place. Shyness gives you away faster than anything. I'm also fortunate that my beard has always been very light in color so I don't have a shadow. Arm hair is also light in color but heavier than most GG's so I try to keep it trimmed but not shaved, thus making winter dressing a lot easier to pass than summer.

Most of us here only know each other from avatars and photos so its mostly our faces and hair that can be critiqued. Makeup application and color is so important. It has to be the correct color for your skin tone and eye color Eye brows are critical as well. I'm so glad to see those very thin eyebrows starting to become less popular on most GG's. A nice smile and white teeth also help the illusion. I get compliments all the time on my "beautiful smile" when I am on cam and as I have mentioned before I've received out of the blue compliments on my hair (wigs) from total strangers while out. Voice is somewhat important. while mine is by no means very feminine it is also not real deep and masculine unless I try to make it that way. I have several conversations with others while out en femme and no one acts surprized just by hearing my voice.

This leaves the one thing I personally think has helped me the most. I've said here before if I can at a minium make others think that perhaps I just used to be a man but not anymore I feel great. What does that the most is my ability to create believable cleavage. I feel very blessed that I can make my chest look as though I have natural breast or had implants. They really do draw attention away from the rest of me without looking unreal or out of place for my size. I try to show my cleavage tastefully leaving it to the imigination of those noticing it if its real or not.

If I could do anything at all to look more passable it would be perhaps botox on some wrinkels and laughlines and to lose some weight so I could look all the time like I do when corseted. I am afraid if I lost 25 lbs my cleavage would suffer but I could compensate somehow for that.

Also agree with several others here that what enviroment you in makes a huge differance in passablity. Darker clubs being best daytime in the park where others are overly protective of watching out for weirdos the hardest

Kerigirl2009
06-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I would say that I dont pass do to my chin (manly) my adams apple (not huge but is there for sure) lack of hips and butt. The fact that I am 6 2" with a weight hovering around 200 I would like to lose about 20 more lbs bringing me to 180. I am a size 12/14 when I am dressing and I think I blend pretty good. I recently got to test that theory and I have to say I loved it, I am pretty sure that the guy hosts at the restaurant noticed but Whatever, The waitress we had was very nice to me. So I will give myself a 5 on passability. Either I do or I don't but does it really matter as long as we are happy. Blendability I would rate myself a 7.5
But as Shenanigans stated women come in all different sizes, shapes, weights, facial structure. We are all unique and we should all just be ourselves. I think we all tend to think passability has to be on the lines of say Megan Fox, Heather Locklear, Helen Hunt, But then again we have Rosie Odonell, Roseanne, and any other woman out there that might have a bit more masculine aspects. But in all this my confidence is rising about being around others. Oh yeah my voice in person I guess is also very good so I will give that an 8. that gives me an average of 6.8

kendra_gurl
06-06-2011, 04:30 PM
But then again we have Rosie Odonell, Roseanne, and any other woman out there that might have a bit more masculine aspects. But in all this my confidence is rising about being around others.

Well said Keri. At best most of us can only hope to look average and there are a lot of attractive average women out there

BRANDYJ
06-06-2011, 04:37 PM
My passing or not passing has only been tested a few times. And the places were clubs where gays, straight men and women and TGs gather together. One night a TS friend of mine went over to talk to a man that she knew. He said to her," please tell me that gorgous blond you are sitting with is not one of you." So if it's a dark club, I guess I'm about an 8. But in bright lights or daytime, the best Icould hope for is a 2...IF THAT. LOL

silhouette
06-06-2011, 05:24 PM

exactly. also if they're asian. white ppl all look the same to them.

Marcie R.
06-06-2011, 06:15 PM
I think that I possibly could be a 7 out of 10 as I have had great comments on my photos. I try to be more causal when I dress, and don't overdo the makeup. I am at least 6ft. 2in. in my boots and shoes, but I do not have real broad shoulders. I always try to keep my weight in check.

Loni
06-06-2011, 06:26 PM
built like a tackle on the football team (no never played it), at 5-10 200+ pounds hard to hide. would rather be 5-1 and 100 pounds dripping wet.
for tops i must have a 22 or a xl, and for skirts a size 12.
but if only to just be treated as dressed would be the best one could ask for. and so far no problems to speak of.

Loni

Ashley Lynn Swift
06-06-2011, 06:26 PM
I gotta say passibilty is a myth I don't think there's really anything to it now days. Back in 2007 when I joined this this site I personally NEVER believed I could pass less along survive if I transitioned. Now days my attitude has changed dramatically. For One once I decided to grow my hair out back in 07. (almost a full year and a half before if started my transition) people would always call me ma'am or miss. And it actually got to a point where I became really uncomfortable using public restrooms as if I was coming out as someone was coming in they always had to do a double take at the restroom sign. That wouldn't have been so bad if I hadnt always been in drab at the time and a trucker. So if I had to rate myself I would have to say a solid 9 or 10. I don't even have to try to pass or hide anything. I'm just me the girl I should have always been. And personally I say the hell with What other people think all that really matters is that your happy being you.

Cheryl T
06-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Hear, hear Karren...my sentiments exactly. While I might think I'm a 7 I'm prejudiced. I just want to look my best and be out and about without being giggled at, pointed to all the time or harassed in any way. Just let me shop till I drop and I'm a happy gal.

t-girlxsophie
06-07-2011, 05:38 AM
I wouldn't even guess what my "Pass" marks are,for if I aim too high,Ppl will probably go "no you bloody aint":heehee: At a push I think on a good day,I would be a 3.
My biggest preblem Even after 10 years of dressing,and/or going out Is that I still haven't mastered Foundation,still get the shadow showing thru AND it grows that damned fast.
If I can feel confident going out that is the best I can achieve and am happy with that

Sophie

Karen__Starr
06-07-2011, 09:08 PM
I have no idea on a 1-10 scale and tend not to worry about where I fall but instead just dress to fit in with those around me which seems to work the majority of the day and night.

sometimes_miss
06-08-2011, 02:28 AM
How passable? I couldn't pass in a coal mine during a blackout while there was a total eclipse.

Pythos
06-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Well Shananigans when I went to that CD gathering, I was the tallest, and the one I was chatting with the most was "I had no idea how tall you are". LOL. Yes I was in heels, and I was tall. Didn't matter cause yes there are some tall women out there, and they are gorgeous too.

Shananigans
06-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Well Shananigans when I went to that CD gathering, I was the tallest, and the one I was chatting with the most was "I had no idea how tall you are". LOL. Yes I was in heels, and I was tall. Didn't matter cause yes there are some tall women out there, and they are gorgeous too.

Fact: The average height of a runway model is 5'9"-6'0"...without heels. Cindy Crawford is 5'10." Long legs look great in heels and clothes generally hang great on you.

So, yeah, what's the problem with being tall? I don't see any.

Jamie Burton
06-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I think we need to move away from the concept of passability (meaning being mistaken for female) and look more towards presentation. By that, I mean that we take the time to present ourselves in a manner that is confident, well constructed (outfit coordinated and seasonal), and with a smile and an openness to the world. It does not matter whether you pass as female but that the world sees you as a well put together transgendered person, no matter what size or shape you are.

Janet Bern
06-09-2011, 05:07 AM
I would like to be able to be 6 inches shorter.. but thats not happening so I have to go out as a tall woman over 60

Iskandra
06-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Heck, I don't know..but small towns make it harder coz everybody knows your name!! Cheers!! (now mind your own business!!)

But pre wig i'd say 0... Now my wig has arrived a non speaking me maybe a 5.5.. If i had someone do a make up job, possibly a 7... dunno..
You be the judge, I put some pics up in my what completes you thread...

I..

alyssaenglefield
06-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Probably 4-5 : I'm 175cm (5ft 9in), which is tall for a female but I'm roughly the same height as mose girls my age here in town. The main thing is I had a bulky build and makeup is tricky for me (the wig is not the best, but it's the least of my worries.

Last year I had people I knew walk pass when I was en femme and they were like "Hi" [two-second pause] "Hey, what the hell?"

Jessica =]
06-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Jeremy Corbett: "News this week - the wedding of the century. We all knew it was just a matter of time, and finally, the day is here."
[Paul Ego and Dai Henwood walk out dressed as bride and groom respectively]
Paul Ego: "I'm only doing this because I'm pregnant."

Two of my loves combined: New Zealand current affairs comedy game show 7 Days, and crossdressing.

i know this has nothing to do with the thread and for that im sorry but AWESOME! i love those things too! ur the first person from this forum ive seen thats from NZ, im from Napier. we should catch up some time.

Leanne2
06-09-2011, 06:27 AM
I'm 5'10" and weigh 225. I wear a size 20. But I have a full head of thick wavy hair and my lips are full. My fat neck hides my Adams apple. Because of these things and my age (61) I can pass whenever I want to. The other day I was in the checkout line at our Aldi grocery store. The line was long and I was at the end of it. A lady opened another register and a shopper near her started to get in line. As I pushed my cart over, the shopper said to the checkout lady, " Take her first, she has been waiting in line and I just got here." I was wearing jeans, men's shoes, and a pullover shirt. Now, my hair is fem but I wasn't trying to pass. People see what they expect to see. I need help with my voice though. My picture is posted on my personal page if you want to take a look. Leanne

Jessica =]
06-09-2011, 06:28 AM
also so far id say im about a 5 or 6 but i have always had no confidence...but see for urselves, i have a post in the picture and video forum, under 'first time in something other than lingerie'. let me know what u think. im still waiting for a wig but im rating myself on head down atm, im sure once i get a wig the rating will go down quite a lot as makeup, earings etc will come into it and i really have no idea what im doing atm. im still a baby when it comes to this. but im so keen to learn so if anyone has any advise please let me know! i really want to get out there in the outside world and strut my stuff as the real lady i am!

Rhibabes
06-09-2011, 04:13 PM
ive been told my body is passable but when it comes to my face its the nose and jawline that gives me up . I will post a few pics soon and see if you agree or have tips

Luv Ya All
Rhi

Lexine
06-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm going to sound like an egomaniac, but my passability is at 9/10, with the voice needing work. Mind you, my voice is fine, but I need more practice time with it to improve my intonations and maybe doing better pitch shifting.

Loveday
06-09-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm either 5'8" or 5" 11" depends on the doctor you ask, yea - they are suppose to be the smarter ones ! I probably do not pass at all since I really cannot do makeup but I do keep practicing. I weigh 198 lbs. My gut is one of my bigger problems but it just does not seem to go away. I just keep losing weight from my skinny rump. As far as my voice, I seem to pass at the McDonalds drive thru when getting a diet cola along the interstate. That is all I know and where I am at presently. I just look forward to growing more.

Anna B
06-09-2011, 06:34 PM
If I said 100% I would be telling a small porkie pie. Anybody in the Stoke on Trent area willling to help me to look more presentable???

notquitegirl
06-10-2011, 06:10 AM
0 out of 10, because I don't go for passing. I go for looking put together and confident in a skirt (or a dress) and heels as a man.

Briana90802
06-13-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm going to sound like an egomaniac, but my passability is at 9/10, with the voice needing work. Mind you, my voice is fine, but I need more practice time with it to improve my intonations and maybe doing better pitch shifting.

I'd have to agree. Definitely a 9/10. Thats something I love about being Asian. Now if I could only cover up this giant bump in my throat.

Lorileah
06-13-2011, 05:20 PM
when it comes to passing I think I'll pass.

why is this important? First of all, so few males pass as females it is ridiculous. Even transsexuals don't always fit the passability test. Second, if you don't want anyone to notice you, wear jeans and a sweatshirt

VeronicaMoonlit
06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
when it comes to passing I think I'll pass.

why is this important? First of all, so few males pass as females it is ridiculous. Even transsexuals don't always fit the passability test.

And that's the subtle truth of the matter, isn't it. Thank you.

Veronica

kendra_gurl
06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Second, if you don't want anyone to notice you, wear jeans and a sweatshirt

Anytime I want to be out and not advertise I am a CD that is exactly what I wear.

Nice feminine stylish jeans a top with some form of sleeve to hide my upper arms and shoulders with appropriate shoes for the season Not heels

As to Why is it important?
"If anything is worth doing its worth doing right"
Thats just the way I am

Southern Michele
06-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Karen is right as usual. What was the old song, "Don't Worry, Be Happy"? If Karen can't pass, then why should the rest of us worry? The ladys on this site that seem the most admired (Karen and TX Kimberly) don't seem to sweat the small stuff. I just received a new "accessory" that makes me feel pretty good but why should I worry if "The People of Walmart" are out for a photo shoot? Most of us don't need to go out to enjoy ourselves. "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

María José
06-13-2011, 05:50 PM
I don´t pass as a woman. Rate me in 0 or 1. When I go out dresseed I only try to have the best posible presentation.

MarieInTAS
06-13-2011, 07:22 PM
I live full time as 'Marie' with no problems to date. I think I pass fairly well unless someone gets too close. Even my voice doesn't usually give me away thanks to th "Changing Keys" voice training provided by the Trans Health Program here. I do get 'read', though, but it doesn't seem to matter much here in Vancouver.
On a related note, I had a nice experience today. I was perusing the hosiery section in my usual supermarket (trying to find where hey had hidden the 'trouser socks' - behind the 'knee highs', Grrr!). A shelf stock clerk wanted to get by me with a dolly of merchandise. He said "Excuse me, ma'am" and then looked at me closer and corrected himself by saying (wait for it) "Excuse me, miss".
He'll never know how close he got to a transgendered kiss! I'm 61.

Maria Blackwood
06-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Passability: 0, unless imaginary numbers are allowed, then it would be -37i.

Need help with: new body, new face, new personality.

Yeah, it's a good thing I'd a casual CD, I think.

Candygirl09
08-14-2011, 01:49 AM
I went out in public for halloween a few years ago, dressed as a rocker girl, and I would probably been a 3 to 5 on passing, I actually have a butt compared to a lot of guys, plus I was 5 9 or 510 at 160 and now im 511 at 170. So Idk what I am anymore :S...but I'm getting a makeover soon :)

Michaela42
08-14-2011, 02:06 AM
Well, since I am one of those dirty 'closeted" crossdressers, I have no idea. I would probably say about a 4 out of 10 due to the following reasons:
5'10"
300 lbs
shoulders like an NFL lineman, and
a voice that would make Barry White sound like a church mouse :(

flatlander_48
08-14-2011, 02:09 AM
I'd say 2/10, maybe 3/10 at best on a good day with a dark moonless night. From the shoulders down would work with no problem. However, above the shoulders is a different story and would require major professional help and $$$ to even have a shot...

pinto
08-14-2011, 02:57 AM
Passability: 0, unless imaginary numbers are allowed, then it would be -37i.

Need help with: new body, new face, new personality.

Yeah, it's a good thing I'd a casual CD, I think.

oh yes, it's true. me too. so sad.
concerning the size i am 5.8 but as a woman i would like to be about 5.1/5.2

Duana
08-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Don't pass. Don't care. I'm doing it because I love doing it.

Embrace the Unpassable.

christina s
08-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Not at all , Too muscular. Right now i'm trying to find the balance between guy and girl mode.

TGMarla
08-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Fun thread. Am I passable? Well, I've been out a few times, and I'd say I passed on the first glance. I don't pass at all on the double-take. I have the hands of a lumberjack. and I don't shave them. I do well at hiding my broad shoulders...well, they're broader than your average woman, anyway. I wear belted outfits that give me some kind of feminine definition instead of a beer gut. And once I talk, it's over.

First glance.....6 or 7 out of 10
Second glance......4 or 5
Third glance......0-2

But whatever. As so many others have said, most people will have the courtesy to not bother with bothering you about it. So the best thing to do is assume you're being read, and just have fun.

Samantha43
08-14-2011, 09:33 AM
I'd say a 0 on a scale of 1-10. I have never fooled anyone. I do go out occasionally, but only with my wife with me. I've had women tell me I look really nice as a girl. My wife gets more comments about me than I do. Mostly curiosity I guess. I'm 6' tall, 190 pounds with very little body fat, broad shoulders, narrow hips and male bone structure in my face. The fact that I can't seem to "act" feminine doesn't help either.

flatlander_48
08-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I'd say a 0 on a scale of 1-10. I have never fooled anyone. I do go out occasionally, but only with my wife with me. I've had women tell me I look really nice as a girl. My wife gets more comments about me than I do. Mostly curiosity I guess. I'm 6' tall, 190 pounds with very little body fat, broad shoulders, narrow hips and male bone structure in my face. The fact that I can't seem to "act" feminine doesn't help either.

Unfortunately that also fits a fair number of women. Sometimes the genes are just unkind...

kellycan27
08-14-2011, 01:46 PM
I think we need to move away from the concept of passability (meaning being mistaken for female) and look more towards presentation. By that, I mean that we take the time to present ourselves in a manner that is confident, well constructed (outfit coordinated and seasonal), and with a smile and an openness to the world. It does not matter whether you pass as female but that the world sees you as a well put together transgendered person, no matter what size or shape you are.

The very last thing i want to be seen as is a "well put together transgendered person"!Ewwwwwwwwww! I mean if someone wants to advertise the fact that they are transgendered.. more power to them, but count me out!
Passability may not be one's priority or it may not be of importance to some. I could see where it may not be an issue if someone dresses up for a night out on the town or weekend shopping adventure, but when you are living it 24/7 365 and wish to just live a normal life without being looked upon as some sort of curiosity... passability is very important. I have always taken issue with the "you can pass with self confidence and attitude" crowd... that is not true. You may be able to strut around the mall, or the grocery store cause you have the balls to "not care what people think" but that doesn't make you passable other than in your own mind. Height, weight, and looks are the luck of the draw, and sadly not everyone is going to be able to pull it off, and i am not saying that that is any kind of reason to give up.. but the question was about "passability". If one is lucky enough to pull it off.. it can be a real life changer. Passability may impact whether you get that job or not. Passability will help in your everyday life, your social life, finding a partner, and acceptance in your community. One can say that these things don't matter "as long as one is happy with themselves"....really? Again.. kudos to those people, but IMO.. getting your beads read constantly is going to make your life as a woman more difficult.

ReineD
08-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I'd like to make a quirky observation that is actually good news, although it doesn't sound so good. :p

Being able to pass improves with age, especially when people are in their 60s or 70s. Women lose estrogen and men lose testosterone naturally as they age, which does make it a lot easier for an older CD to not look all that different from her female peers.

SweetIonis
08-14-2011, 03:29 PM
i'd like to make a quirky observation that is actually good news, although it doesn't sound so good. :p

being able to pass improves with age, especially when people are in their 60s or 70s. Women lose estrogen and men lose testosterone naturally as they age, which does make it a lot easier for an older cd to not look all that different from her female peers.

oh no!!!

I'm turning into a ts! I knew it!

Lmao!!!!

wildsylph
08-15-2011, 08:18 AM
never tried going outside dressed, but if i was good with the face (makeup,wig etc) maybe I'll pass but not that sure.

Jillian Faith
08-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Ok here goes I'm 53 5'8" 190 +/-10lbs obviously my clothes look better on me at 180 than 200! Size 11 foot ladies, large hands with stubby fingers, hairy body and a masculine face. All that said on my best day I'd say my pass-ability is a 6-7. So what do I do first I shave everything below my eyebrow, my eyebrows are kept trimmed and I draw in a nice feminine arch when applying make-up. I also invested in a human hair wig which was cut and styled to help feminize my face by a very talented stylist. Hair style includes bangs which further hide eyebrows and soften facial features. I camouflage my feet as best I can with painted toes and my hands with a quality set of active length fingernails. I use a high quality moisturizer nightly and a top quality beard cover whenever I put on my make-up. Lastly I dress appropriate for the event or activity, basically dressing to blend in with what all of the GGs are wearing. Oh and my voice while not perfect is good enough to pass with the grocery store check out, the drive thru at Starbucks or the dept store SA. Oh my wife said I'm an 8....God I love that women!

DaniellaNYC
08-16-2011, 04:28 PM
I guess I used to pass from far away or from behind... I know, silly. But I remember walking down a street and some guy checking me out and trying to say hello as I ignored him and walked past... he tried catching up and may have patted my shoulder and when I turned around from up close he realized I was a CD and then he was kinda slightly shocked and thankfully simply apologized... so in a way maybe I prefer not passing from the get-go. I rather just pass as a CD and be accept (or not) that way (???)

Jane G
08-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Driving my car car, probably.

Stopped at a light probably still. Though I have large hands.

Out of the car from a distance, First glance that womans very tall, second glance, ah now I realize why, that,s a man.

So I tend to stay in the car and keep my size 13 ex wide tootsies out of view.