PDA

View Full Version : Coming out to family

Wendy_Marie
06-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Coming out to family members seems to be a hot topic right now so i thought Iwould add my own thread on this very subject.

Three weeks ago i came out to my two daughters and the experience has been very positive...My oldest daughter even bought me nail polishes as a Birthday Gift...talk about accepting me...:)

Two weeks ago I decided to tell my oldest living sister....She can be difficult to reach on the phone so after a couple of tries I gave up and e-mailed her instead...Since then she has broken off contact with me via her Facebook account and hasn't written or returned my e-mail so i guess this is an indicator that she doesn't accept this part of my life....:sad:

Just today I opened up to my older Brother who just so happens to be in prison...:doh: He and his wife whom I have never met both opened their hearts to me and gave me the feeling of being totally accepted.....:)

I have to admit that with every positive response I am getting...I feel as though more and more weight is being lifted from my shoulders...I may even begin to actually sleep again...Now that would indeed be a true miracle.....:battingeyelashes:

Angiemead12
06-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Im so happy to read stories like this, I make it a point to tell people around me when I have the chance! It feels so liberating!

KandisTX
06-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Families can be funny like that. My whole family knows and here is how they deal with it. Dad: If I don't talk about it, it doesn't exist. Mom: I am all for it honey, and I allow you to borrow my things and will even buy you stuff. Baby Sister: It's cool, whatever you do is okay with me as long as you aren't breaking the law. Middle Sister: doesn't talk to me anymore, and she's a STRIPPER. Figure that one out. :)

sissystephanie
06-07-2011, 10:10 PM
I have to say that I am very happy that most things worked out for you!! It is too bad about your older sister but it is her loss! You may wear different clothing, but you are still the same person you were the last time you two talked!! Happy Days for you!

Wendy_Marie
06-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I thought I would share some of the letter I received back from my Sister in Law as it left me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside....(-: some things have been edited to protect privacy but otherwise this is what she said to me.

Dear Wendy,
I know your Brother well enough to be able to speak for the both of us.....You are who you are and no matter what We Both Love You for who you are. You can count on the two of us to back you 100% Your Brother and I both have gay friends and and they are who they are our friends. You however are our Brother. I know this must have been a very hard thing for you to have hidden for so long. We both have wondered through a gender problem at one point or another and that probably makes us more understanding then most. Don't feel so bad and don't beat yourself up if there are some that don't understand. It don't matter...Your heart is all that matters. You have an awesome brother who is so understanding and caring and Loves his family. I will copy your letter or if you want to write him it won't matter. As in the movie Boy's Town with Spencer Tracey who played Father Flannigan he said there was no bad boy you just have to find the good. So I live my life to find the good in people and not judge them I leave that to our God, besides when we get to heaven there wont be any gender, so why should it matter here?? I also have a good friend of mine that has a son that is going through the entire change/transition process at the age of 13. Good Kid and I love her to pieces....Don't worry be HAPPY . If you need to talk call me.

Love You

jaqueline1
06-07-2011, 10:39 PM
wow! I'm glad you have such an understanding family members. I haven't told my family yet do to the fact that they are against anything that isn't considerd normal. anybody have advice on how to tell them?

Christy_M
06-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Congratulations on letting people know the real you. I can totally relate to the weight/burden being lifted with every accepting perosn. It is so liberating. Congratulations and keep us posted as you progress.

Wendy_Marie
06-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Congratulations and keep us posted as you progress.

I will Christy...and thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragment.

xd-tigger
06-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Congratulations on coming out to your family. I hope your eldest sister accepts you for who you are and gets in contact with you :)