PDA

View Full Version : Pride Parade

the_me
06-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Over here in Edmonton next week is Gay Pride Week, with a parade kicking it off on Saturday. I belong to a CD/TG social club here (Edmonton Illusions), and we are entering a small float in it, I even helped design the banner. Marching along with it is optional.

In all honesty, I'm excited and terrified about actually being in the parade. I mean, I'm kinda out of the closet, although there are quite a few people I don't care to tell, and with my luck I'll end up being interviewed or show up on TV or the local papers... okay, probably just paranoid and strangely hopeful about that. I want to go out largely to show support for the gay community, especially the Imperial Sovereign Court of the Wild Rose who does a lot of fundraising and even ran some of our club's events.

I think I've made up my mind, I really want to participate and know I will regret it if I don't, so, I suppose my question is: Would you do it, or have any of you done something like this? Anyone miss out on a chance to do something similar and regret it?

Sally24
06-09-2011, 02:03 PM
I've marched in the last 5 Boston Pride Parades. At least here the vibe is awesome. People yell and cheer as you march thru the center of the city. I think they are genuinely happy to see us trans folk being brave enough to be ourselves. If you look at my post about the upcoming parade you'll see I was featured in a picture on the Boston Globe website. I'm out to the important people in my life but not to everyone and not at work. It is really exhilarating to be in front of that many people. Yes, a little terrifying too, but fun!

If you don't get out much than this is about the safest venue you could possibly try. And it can make you feel really good knowing you are representing maybe 100's of CDs that won't march for various reasons. Be a visible sign that we exist and are too proud to hide.

the_me
06-09-2011, 03:37 PM
And it can make you feel really good knowing you are representing maybe 100's of CDs that won't march for various reasons. Be a visible sign that we exist and are too proud to hide.

I never thought of it like that, now I would feel horrible if I didn't go! Well, I'll find out the details tomorrow and hopefully be back here with pictures by Monday!

Tina B.
06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I live in a small town in Northern California, and lat year I discovered we where having what turned out to be the third parade held here, not sure, but it's new. Anyway being closeted, the best I got to do was go in drab, and and cheer them all on, I was surprised how many marched under the banner of family and friends of the Trans community, and more trans people than I would have thought in this area.
I also took in thefestivall they are trying to get going with it. Just being there among so many like people, left me feeling good for days. It was fun, therewhererBoothe'ss for all segments of the LGBTQcommunityy, and everybody felt they belonged. Our pride week isn't until the fall, but I'll be there to support the two main events, the parade, and Bat & Rouge softball, The Sister of Perpetual Indulgence against the localcelebritiess, andPoliticianss. The ball game raises money that the LGBTQ donates to a local charitable cause, it builds good will. I've planned my fall to be sure nothing gets in the way of that weekend. If you are out to that degree, why not go for it, have fun, for those of that won't or can't.
Tina B.

Alberta_Pat
06-10-2011, 07:59 AM
I'll be there too Celes.

Looking forward to seeing you this evening at the decorating!

the_me
06-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Wow! Thanks for the reply Tina! Willyou be joining the others in their march next time, or not an option really? Either way, I agree it is just plain good to go out one way or another to show support!

And Pat! It's always great to see you! I'm glad you will be there, will you be marching in the parade?... Guess I can ask you later, haha. I'm psyched out for the parade, the festival at Churchhill Sq. After, and the dance party after that! (been a busy beaver doing my research, hehe). Going to get a hotel room in the area for the weekend just for this!

Did you know the Pure Pride dance party on Sat is the biggest in western Canada? Neither did I, haha.

Fab Karen
06-10-2011, 07:06 PM
You'll be marching( riding I mean ) in a parade where the spectators are cheering you. & It's unlikely there'd be a camera close-up as you go by.

Kyttens pet
06-11-2011, 12:25 AM
I really wanted to be at the parade this year, but we just moved into our new house, my wife has a baby shower tomorrow night for her Granddaughter, i have a ton of work to do around our house. Hopefully maybe next year we will go to the pride parade!
have fun, play hard, but be safe!

Sheri

the_me
06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Well, that was easily the best weekend of my life. The parade was great fun, I wish it would have went on longer! I gave up being terrified pretty quick. Just taking a peek on google, did manage to find 1 picture of myself up online that I didn't put there, and it's buried pretty deep in some photos (Image 16 of 24 here (http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/06/11/events-around-edmonton)). Horrible angle too, caught me right as I was looking back!

There were a ton of cameras out there, lots of waving and some posing for shots as we walked along. I wonder just how many gigabytes of data were used on me that day? And after the parade was great too, ended up going out to a couple different bars and just having an overall great time! Although my sun-burned shoulders are killing me today (lesson learned)!

Attached is a better pic of me taken while we were getting our decorations set up on Friday. Can't wait to do something like this again!