PDA

View Full Version : So my military career is coming to an end, (very upset)

Myojine
06-10-2011, 04:08 PM
So about a year ago in two weeks will be the day that everything went to hell.
The good soldier i was ended up cracking under presuure of civillian life. she couldnt think straight and ended up getting her removed from the unit and set into split train status
Unfortunately the US army at the time enforced DADT, and deemed me undeployable.
For about a 6months i attemtped to live life outside of someone elses home and wing and failed because the economy died and i coudlnt hold on to the job i was excelling at.
The people I lived with became unplesant and hurtful after a while and... i was kicked out.
Police reports from oct 9th reported a 19 year old white male at approximately 9:30PM had overdosed and was rushed to the hosptle and was cared for in the ICU for 4 days as the toxic volume of a neurological agent was flushed and pumped out of his veins.
Both stories are from the same person that person is me.
And today is another unforutnate and heavy blow to me.
I was given an end senario.
a short while ago i moved in with someone who I care for very much even to the extent of calling him my boyfriend... beucase of one... very fun night :heehee: ...
He rescued me from starving todeath and tried to help me as best he could but he himself has many issues and struggles with depression as well.
This person did the best thing he knew in his heart and gave someone a chance to restart but this end all senario i was given.
Time is up.
I can no longer split train with thisunit down here. I am to far away from my unit and I am now being given an uncharacterised discharge from the US Army National Guard.
Im to far away, unable to attend so i am no longer going to be a soldier. Which is something I loved.

So
Its over for me.
something i worked so hard for, faced my fears and learned i was a much better person than i thought..
I am loosing it.
I sitting here fighting back tears because well Soldiers dont cry.
But I promised myself

"When your military carear ends, its time to transition"
I was hoping to fix everythign and get back into a new MOS and fix everything. Then start saving up money to fix the birth defect i was born with.
But right now
I only have 2k$ in the bank saved up. A crappy job. and mor than likely now. i dont have an assured stable place to live.
We havent told his parents were in a relationship with each other.
I dont think they would approve and I'd be at risk of loosing everything i own and worked forward to.
Im at a loss, I dont know waht Im going to do now.
My whole plan has become undone infront of me
My only options are... over done gone no longer accessable.
I have no blood related family, I have only one person inmy life who would stand up and care for me as best he could.
And by god If i ever do get through this Im going to marry him and be the best wife a man could ever have
I swear on it.

But getting there
My job doesnt pay jack shit to live...I dont ahve a drivers licience or ever did have one.
oh yeah no medical insurance... not like theyd pay for hormone therapy ANYWAYS.

Anyone in north carolina who could guide me a bit?
Im so... lost and depressed now.
(dont worry im not to attemtp suicide anymore, i just dont ahve that will power left in me.)

vetobob9
06-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Greetings.

I"m not in NC but I was also in the Army National Guard.

Have you tried to transfer to a unit that is closer to you? This is an option that almost all National Guard soldiers have if they move out of their current unit's area. In fact, a soldier cannot be assigned to a unit that more than a set number of miles from his unit. This is usually less than 50 miles.
I would ask your CO about the possibility of transfering to a unit closer to where you live. There are plenty of units. You just need to find one that takes your MOS or see if you can retrain into another one.

BTW, National Guard policy is that what you do when off duty is your business not theirs.

Myojine
06-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Yes ive tried.
Ive exhausted every possiblity and senario that was possible
Time was up. Now I have to be discharged according to UCMJ and Army Regulation.
This is prevent me from getting an AWOL status and stops the wasteful spending for vringina national guard.
Its done its over. there is nothing i can do about it now.

Hope
06-11-2011, 01:51 AM
I sitting here fighting back tears because well Soldiers dont cry.

If I understand correctly, you are no longer a soldier?

So you can cry now.

Trust me - it helps.

And then, in the morning, you will be ready to think about starting to build a new life and a new plan and work at that crummy gig you have until you find a better one. And one will come along.

But for now, you CAN cry. You can mourn your loss. And you should.

vetobob9
06-11-2011, 04:20 AM
I would have thought they would try to work with you on the issue. Where I am, in california, there were soldiers outside the max radius for the unit but they still allowed them to stay in the unit as long as they were able to attend drills and all mandatory training sessions.
You mentioned don't ask don't tell. That only addresses the issue of sexual orientation. Unfortunately it does not the issues of military men who might be transexual.

You said you overdosed on a drug. US military policy is to permit unit commanders to evict soldiers they find to be abusing drugs. The US Army in particular has no tolerance policy. I've seen a lot of straight, normal men evicted from the military for drug use.
But I would have thought they would have offered you intervention first ie make you go to drug rehab.

I know what you mean about the difficulty of transitioning from the military economy to the civilian economy. Statistics show that most US military veterans end up homeless and or jobless. In some locations we actually face discrimination because we served but most people don't hear of these stories.

To top it off, former military personnel face mental health issues that civilians don't. This is because of the strain of multiple deployments and the way the system like to treat us as numbers, instead of people. Usually its up to the people in the unit to treat each other as humans.

You aren't alone. There are a lot of other soldiers going through the same economic situation and I know there are a few homes set specifically for veterans and soldiers who are having difficulty adjusting. These homes are run either by veterans or other soldiers.

You can also go to the veterans Resource Center/Representative in your local area. They should be able to help you with the economic situation.

For the record, I was in the military twice. The first time I was not cut out because I was not ready emotionally or mentally so I did recieve an uncharacterized discharge. Despite this, I was still able to get unemployment from my 5 months in the army. Nine years later I joined the army again, this time I completed my full term plus an extra year and then the three years National Guard. The second time around I recieved an honorable discharge.

Sometimes we join up too early. So I advise people to go to college, get a degree then join the military because by then they will be more mature, have more knowledge, and be more ready for the rigors of military life.

7sisters
06-12-2011, 08:25 AM
hey there... keep coming here for advice and hang on... you have to believe better days will come.

vetobob9
06-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Browsing the internet I found this group called The Transgender American Veterans Association
They might be able to help you.