PDA

View Full Version : On Kaiser And want to transition

Alexandra
06-12-2011, 06:07 PM
OK, I am on Kaiser in Northern California, and want to Start transitioning as much as I can..as much as What is Covered.

Can anyone help me in telling me what is covered by Kaiser Permanente??? I am also on Medicare.

Thanks!

pamela_a
06-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Policies and coverage can vary. The best thing to do is to check your documentation or call them directly and ask what's covered

Barbra P
06-12-2011, 07:11 PM
I’m with Kaiser in So. Calif. and last month sent my Family Physician a PM telling her I was in need of some counseling about a transgender issue. She referred me to one of the Counselors in her unit and I had a very nice two-hour session. At the end of the session the Counselor said she was referring me to the Psych Department so I could talk with a Licensed Therapist who dealt with transgender issues and that session comes up next week. The first session was fully covered under my plan and I believe the sessions with the Licensed Therapist will be too. I doubt that Kaiser covers HRT or SRS, but they do have Licensed Therapists available and that can save you the cost of therapy sessions.

Robin Lee
06-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Alexandra,
I am on Kaiser in the San Diego area. They have covered my Psych Department appointments with a Licensed Therapist and a endocrinologist. The endocrinologist 6 months ago put me on estradiol on kaisers coverage with just a $10.00 co-pay. My therapist told me in some cases kaiser does cover SRS. I did have to go through a couple of therapist before I ended up with a therapist that worked with transgendered. So have your family doctor send you to a endocrinologist first and have them look into the system for a therapist that has transgendered experience. If you have any other questions just E-mail me.

Best Wishes
Robin Lee

AllieSF
06-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Alexandra, the River City Gems in Sacramento have been discussing this very topic on their Yahoo group. You may want to read those posts too for some additional real life experiences with Kaiser. Good luck and let us know what you find out for your situation.

Alexandra
06-13-2011, 03:58 PM
thank you all. If i have any questions, I will message you.

Badtranny
06-13-2011, 04:08 PM
I have a friend of a friend, (no seriously) who told me that someone very high in the food chain at Kaiser is a recent MtF TS. I will find out her name, but based on that info I would bet that Kaiser would be a very TS friendly program.

P.S. I think most insurance plans will cover HRT anyway, Cigna does.

-Melissa