PDA

View Full Version : T/G support Group

Wendy_Marie
06-13-2011, 09:33 AM
I attended my first Transgender support group yesterday...wasn't really a big deal as Joe the Transman who runs the group reported that most everyone who usually attends was at a local Pride festival.

Groups of people in any setting has never been my thing and so yesterday turned out to be somewhat anti-climatic.....I will give it another try in a couple of weeks and see what, if anything transpires from there.

AllieSF
06-13-2011, 02:18 PM
I understand your feeling about group meet ups since I feel similar to that. However, I do go to an almost local group occasionally, the River City Gems in Sacramento. I love their group and normally go to the special events, like the summer pool party, Halloween and maybe a monthly social. I am also a member of a TG/GG Mutual Admiration meet up group and have been to several of their functions. I like this group because we always go out to different places for our meet ups. One thing that I always recommend to newbies is that group meet ups may not always fit with someone's personality, however, they do offer a great opportunity to network with others and maybe find a friend with whom they can meet with privately, or just chat with when needed. I have used this site to meet several members when they travel to my area. In fact, I am meeting one for the first time later this afternoon for a night out in San Francisco. So, try your group another time, maybe look for another if this one doesn't meet your needs, and especially try networking on this site for new friends and partners in crime.

Wendy_Marie
06-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Allise,
Good advice which is exactly in line with what I had been thinking...graet minds think alike I guess...?

ReneeT
06-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Allie's advice is sound. I have been to several differrent support groups, and found value in each. I think it's important to spend some time in introspection, and develop an idea of areas in your life in which you need support. Do you need support in your acceptance of being TG? Do you need practical "how to" information? Or are you just looking for like-minded girls to socialize with? Having a good handle on your needs will help maximize the benefit of a support group

larry
06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
TG/GG Mutual Admiration meet up group ??? What ? Where are these ?? See people do read this stuff.. hehehe
I understand your feeling about group meet ups since I feel similar to that. However, I do go to an almost local group occasionally, the River City Gems in Sacramento. I love their group and normally go to the special events, like the summer pool party, Halloween and maybe a monthly social. I am also a member of a TG/GG Mutual Admiration meet up group and have been to several of their functions. I like this group because we always go out to different places for our meet ups. One thing that I always recommend to newbies is that group meet ups may not always fit with someone's personality, however, they do offer a great opportunity to network with others and maybe find a friend with whom they can meet with privately, or just chat with when needed. I have used this site to meet several members when they travel to my area. In fact, I am meeting one for the first time later this afternoon for a night out in San Francisco. So, try your group another time, maybe look for another if this one doesn't meet your needs, and especially try networking on this site for new friends and partners in crime.

AllieSF
06-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Larry,

This group is specific to the San Francisco, California Bay Area. Thus the acronym BATGMAS. There are some TG/CD's like me, some TS's, GG's, mostly younger and we always go to different and fun places. I actually helped a GG hookup with a TS she was interested in. At least I take a little credit for it, even though it might have happened anyway. Now if I can just find one for me!

Here is the link:

http://www.meetup.com/BATGMAS/

NathalieX66
06-13-2011, 10:20 PM
I've been to a couple of different TG support groups, and also been to some all-inclusive TG events that have nothing to do with TG support groups. They are often a different mindset.
I say try them all, and find where you are most comfortable.
My facebook page has given me a great way to make new TG friends, and it's both fun & interesting to meet them in person, and share experiences.
Me: I go out in public 1-3 times a month in public to live this side me, and since I managed to meet many like myself while doing it, the experience has made it much more fun and real. At the going rate, my goal is to become a "foodie"...someone who experiences different restaurants & cuisine....just as long as it doesn't affect my girly figure when I eat at these places with other CD/TG folks. :heehee:

larry
06-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Thank you so much for your response. I hope to join both of these groups in my quest to learn all I can and maybe (someday ? ) find some really nice friends.

Larry,

This group is specific to the San Francisco, California Bay Area. Thus the acronym BATGMAS. There are some TG/CD's like me, some TS's, GG's, mostly younger and we always go to different and fun places. I actually helped a GG hookup with a TS she was interested in. At least I take a little credit for it, even though it might have happened anyway. Now if I can just find one for me!

Here is the link:

http://www.meetup.com/BATGMAS/

tammi ogles
06-13-2011, 10:48 PM
I attended my first Transgender support group yesterday...wasn't really a big deal as Joe the Transman who runs the group reported that most everyone who usually attends was at a local Pride festival.

Groups of people in any setting has never been my thing and so yesterday turned out to be somewhat anti-climatic.....I will give it another try in a couple of weeks and see what, if anything transpires from there.

i haven't read any other posts answering this one. Wendy, how do i say how proud of you i am, for stepping out and how sorrowful i am that you chose the bitterfully wrong time to face Joe the Transman. Worst trans name in history second to mine!! Go again, girl after the rally. I'M TERRIBBLY searching for a support group in my locale with OUT success. my outreach center at the moment is a chat room, where one day i feel like the prom queen and next feellike the booger on the wall that EVERY one knows about!! step up girl! you have to make your friends on a different weekend.

Cynthia Anne
06-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Hey Princess! I admire you for going! On the second trip if you don't enjoy it, maybe it's time to find a better place that deserves you! Wishing you the best in all your endeavors! Hugs!

Wendy_Marie
06-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Wendy, how do i say how proud of you i am, for stepping out and how sorrowful i am that you chose the bitterfully wrong time to face Joe the Transman.

Thanks for the positive commetns ladies...I do appreciate them.

Tammi-Joe wasn't so bad, it is his job to oversee this group and I think that the low turnout just had him off his game...at least that's what I want to believe for now. I will give it another go around sometime soon.

Cynthia-Thanks for your comments I am positive that with a little time I will find a place or group where I will be comfortable in.

Barbra P
06-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I went to Transgender support group meeting last month here in San Diego and was quite impressed, although the turnout was reported to be down. This month the President and VP won’t be there as they are out of town (vacation). It is my understanding that attendance is generally down during the summer months due to so many people going on vacation or just hanging out at the beaches here, plus it is County Fair time this weekend, but I’m planning on going to the meeting.

Pythos
06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
AllieSF, I would very much like to join that group. However, it looks like you join through face book. Too many of my aviaition related friends use FB and I don't want to out myself....yet. Is there any other way to join?

Barbra P
06-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Pythos – why not create a second FB account? You can assure that your two accounts don’t get linked by always using a second browser and a separate Email account. When I did have a FB account for Barbra I set up an Email account on Gmail (I now use Yahoo Barbra) and I used Chrome to access the Net when I wanted to go to Barbra’s FB. I use Cox and IE9 for my main Email and the two FB accounts remain separate with no inter-account links.