PDA

View Full Version : Another Step Taken

Wendy_Marie
06-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I took another step today towards fulfilling my life long dream...As some of you know from my thread about how I was layed off recently?
I stated that I wanted to try and find a new employer who would be tolerant with my Transgender Status and my plans to transition...Well today I made an appointment through my local Career Center and talked with one of the Job Skills Counselors.
I went endrab to my appointment but layed out my plans of transitioning late in this year and told her of my current situation
I have another appointment to talk with her about skills assesment to see what field might be a good fit to seach or seek training in for this Transgirl to have a means to earn a paycheck...
i was suprised that she took the whole session in stride and didn't bat an eyelash...she did state that in Missouri it is illegal for an employer to discriminate in any manner on the basis of my gender choices...on the basis of State and federal Laws.
I am going to try and clarify this and see about obtaining the statute.

Eryn
06-14-2011, 07:05 PM
While it may be illegal for an employer to discriminate against you, in the hiring process there are many reasons that an employer can cite for deciding on another candidate over you and in fact they often don't have to explain their decision.

If you put the cards on the table and get hired you've built the best possible situation for yourself, but I wonder how common such an enlightened employer might be?

Wendy_Marie
06-14-2011, 08:51 PM
While it may be illegal for an employer to discriminate against you, in the hiring process there are many reasons that an employer can cite for deciding on another candidate over you and in fact they often don't have to explain their decision.
If you put the cards on the table and get hired you've built the best possible situation for yourself, but I wonder how common such an enlightened employer might be?

Which is precisely why I am beginning now at the start of drawing my unemployment benefits...Then if after a certain period of time I still ahven't found decent, sustainable and gainful employment...I can always go back to my drab ole ways long enough to get something else going.

Barbara Jo
06-14-2011, 10:11 PM
I hate burst anyone's bubble but, employers break discrimination laws constanly.
They just do it in ways that can't get them into trouble. They have it down to a fine science.

Cynthia Anne
06-14-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm proud of you Wendy Marie! That is a great step in the right direction! I pray things will go well for you! Hugs!

Wendy_Marie
06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Barbara,
Your not bursting my bubble...I'm not the naive type and I know just how spiteful and judgemental society can be....as I have stated before....Springfield Missouri is considered to be in the Buckle or the Bible Belt as we have several Religious Based Colleges and a strong Conservative Party here.

Cynthia Anne- as Always Thanks for your support and sweet comments.