PDA

View Full Version : Get outa town!

dawnmarrie1961
06-14-2011, 06:50 PM
I was taking my even walk. Just as I do every night. Only this time I was walking with a male friend. He likes to talk so I was listening to regale me with tales about his childhood when suddenly up ahead a police cruiser pulled around the corner and came towards us. I thought it was just going to pass by so I didn't pay it too much attention until I heard the siren come on. Not the long wailing siren sounds you hear when the cops are in hot pursuit but a short get your attention kind. We ceased walking and turned our attention to the street where the car came to a stop in the middle of the street.

The officer rolled his window down and I heard him say "Come here." My friend mistakenly thought the officer meant him but as he went to step forward the officer. "No. Not you the blonde."

My friend was a bit concerned about me. I could tell by the look on his face. I said "Don't worry. I haven't done anything wrong...." and I stepped off the curb. "..that I know of."

"What are you doing?" The officer asked me.

"Just talking my after supper walk, Sir." I replied. "It helps me to sleep better at night."

As usual, I open my mouth and it removes any doubt about whom and what I am. I could have probably avoided this whole ordeal by simply changing the pitch of my voice to something soft, sweet and feminine. But that isn't me. I don't hide. No matter what happens. The world is going to learn that way!

"He's a guy!" His partner said.

"I'm transgendered." I said. "There's nothing wrong with that."

The officer's entire demure changed from pleasant to very much annoy.

"You should get out of town because Omaha is the armpit of the world!"

"No. I think I'll stick around for a while." I said defiantly. "I think Omaha is a wonderful place. The people are so opened minded." With that the police drove away. I got the feeling they didn't like what I had to say.

Later my friends told me that those two officers are know in the area for unethical conduct. "Watch your back." They advised me.

I intend to.

In my opinion: When an officer of the law oversteps the boundaries of the law they are no longer to be considered an officer of the law and must be dealt with as common everyday thugs.:devil:

I'm not looking for trouble here. But I know I have to be prepared for it anyway.

Fab Karen
06-14-2011, 06:57 PM
If they're known for unethical conduct, the locals should take action instead of letting things get worse.

dawnmarrie1961
06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
If they're known for unethical conduct, the locals should take action instead of letting things get worse.

No body is going to listen to a bunch of homeless people. These officer's aren't stupid. They cover their tracks.
In a perfect world there wouldn't be cops like this. But we both know "THE WORLD ISN"T PEFECT."

Paulacder
06-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Go to the station and fill out a complaint form. Mention that you were in deed Harassed by these two cops. With the complaint being filed you now have something to fall back on. I would even consider contacting a attorney to see if your civil rights were violated. I hate rogue cops....

Wendy_Marie
06-14-2011, 08:48 PM
At the very least file the report...then if something more happens there is already the paper trail for IA to follow.

Carla
06-14-2011, 09:54 PM
I would not waste money on a lawyer. I cannot see from your story where your rights were violated. You were not arrested or detained. You were merely the subject of a "contact". Contacts like these are legal and a tool officers use to actually do good. You do not have prior knowledge that they have regarding BOLO's (be on the lookout for XXX). They could have been in the area because of a shoplifting by a "tall blonde", but upon closer "contact" you were rulled out as a suspect.

Now all that being said, I want to say further that it seems the actions of these two officers was unprofessional, even if they were making a routine legal contact in response to some report.

You need to file a complaint! Do it ASAP!!! I have been around cops most of my adult life and the VAST majority are professionals. These officers may already be on the Chief's sh#t list and he or she needs only one more complaint to can these guys. Do not let their actions color the entire department. Making a valid complaint is exercising your rights as a citizen and is really a responsibility of all good citizens to keep our public SERVANTS honest.

There are other accounts on this forum where girls have been pulled over and even after showing a valid (male) drivers license they were addressed politely as a female.

Cynthia Anne
06-14-2011, 10:27 PM
I agree! File a report! Perhaps it will put them out of town! Hopeing the best for you! Hugs!

Debglam
06-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Geez Dawn! At least they didn't give you till sunset to clear out! Take care of yourself.

Deb

sandra-leigh
06-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I get the impression that they thought you were a possible prostitute. If so then softening your voice could possibly have lead to more trouble.

MaryAnn40c
06-15-2011, 12:34 AM
You do have a witness....right a letter to the cops boss and one to the local newspaper.....

joanna4
06-15-2011, 01:34 AM
In my opinion: When an officer of the law oversteps the boundaries of the law they are no longer to be considered an officer of the law and must be dealt with as common everyday thugs.:devil:

I like the way you put that. If that were to happen to me, I would kindly get his name then walk into the station en femme and file a complaint

Loni
06-15-2011, 02:44 AM
file a report with the police dept right away, a paper trail is needed and if they try something you have a paper trail proving they started harassing you.
with there knowing you have filed a report it is less likely they would try anything.
sadly some police believe they are above the law and can do anything they want...but a paper trail does have a bit of control over what they could try.

it is for your protection.

Vanessa Storrs
06-15-2011, 04:11 AM
This is an issue that the American Civil Liberties Union would be interested in. Contact your local chapter.

linda allen
06-15-2011, 06:21 AM

I'm not looking for trouble here. But I know I have to be prepared for it anyway.

"Your opinion" might get you in trouble here. If you decide to "deal" with police officers as "common everyday thugs", things can only go downhill for you. I'm not saying you shouldn't file a formal complaint or take other appropriate action, but if, for example, the next time they stop you, you ignore them because you view them as common thugs, they have the right as police officers to forcefully stop you, charge you with resisting arrest, etc.

You may feel it is wrong, the folks here may think it is wrong, but as long as they are officers of the law, they can do it and there's not much you can do about it.

There's a right way to deal with them and a wrong way. My advice - try the right way.

Annie D
06-15-2011, 06:54 AM
What a dilemma! Personally, if this type of thing happened to me, I think I would proceed with extreme caution. Yes, by making a report may get action but it may not result in what you want. People in law enforcement are like every other group/clan/gang (you notice that each word draws a more negative meaning) and people within any group tends to defend its own first and then perhaps find the facts and then sort thru what action to take; a kind of innocent until proven guilty mentality. I might document what happened to you, store it in your computer's memory and give it a couple of days to sift itself out.

Just a little less than 25 years ago (boy did that time fly by) I moved from St. Louis to Omaha to run the Downtown YMCA. The facility was not a modern one but had everythin a metro Y was suppossed to have: hotel, restaurant, health club, pool, work out facilities; you get the idea. It was a bustling operation from 6 am to 7 pm but once the downtown workforce left for their home in the suburbs all kinds of crazy stuff was going on. When I initially moved to Omaha, for the first 6 weeks, I lived in one of the upstairs rooms and saw first hand the number of times someone would enter the facility with stab wounds and other types of abuse received from another person and we had to call the police and ambulance service.

The cops who worked the city beats at that time were not too understanding of the victims of the street violence and were pretty hard core in their policing of their turf. These were really pretty good people who just had a different view of the people who were out on the streets after the sun goes down. Their basic job is to police and suspect anyone who might become potential victim or aggressor. I'm not saying what they said and did was right but I have no idea what downtown Omaha has become in the 25 years that have passed since I left.

I'm sure that we have several girls who have either been in law enforcement or are currently serving and can give a different perspective in what you have described. Be careful out there.

Nicole Erin
06-15-2011, 08:33 AM
You will probably never see them again anyways.
They were probably curious about "is that a man or a woman?" but learned, so that is over.
I doubt filling a complaint with the station would do any good, you know cops look out for their own.

And they were wrong in one thing - It is Arkansas that is the armpit of the nation. This is a provable fact.

Sophie86
06-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry that happened, Dawn, but it sounds like you handled it well: firm but polite. It doesn't pay to give cops an attitude. They have too many ways of ruining your day.

There's a right way to deal with them and a wrong way. My advice - try the right way.

To instruct us all on on the right way, here's a helpful PSA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8) by Chris Rock. :heehee:

dawnmarrie1961
06-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Go to the station and fill out a complaint form. Mention that you were in deed Harassed by these two cops. With the complaint being filed you now have something to fall back on. I would even consider contacting a attorney to see if your civil rights were violated. I hate rogue cops....

I went to the local office of the GLBT yesterday to see if they had any legal resources I could use. The office was closed on Wed. I'll try again today.
The area in which the officers frequent is known for prostitution,drug dealers, crack heads, drunks and homeless people. It's not to far from the shelter that I'm staying at.
I've seen the two of them in action before. They are often more rough with their suspects than they need to be.

Billie Jean
06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
The officer has been watching too many episodes of Gunsmoke. Get out of town? The largest gang in the world is LEO (law enforcement officers). It seems like at least 50% think they can do anything because they wear a badge. Billie Jean

dawnmarrie1961
06-15-2011, 10:23 AM
I would not waste money on a lawyer. I cannot see from your story where your rights were violated. You were not arrested or detained. You were merely the subject of a "contact". Contacts like these are legal and a tool officers use to actually do good. You do not have prior knowledge that they have regarding BOLO's (be on the lookout for XXX). They could have been in the area because of a shoplifting by a "tall blonde", but upon closer "contact" you were rulled out as a suspect.

Now all that being said, I want to say further that it seems the actions of these two officers was unprofessional, even if they were making a routine legal contact in response to some report.

You need to file a complaint! Do it ASAP!!! I have been around cops most of my adult life and the VAST majority are professionals. These officers may already be on the Chief's sh#t list and he or she needs only one more complaint to can these guys. Do not let their actions color the entire department. Making a valid complaint is exercising your rights as a citizen and is really a responsibility of all good citizens to keep our public SERVANTS honest.

There are other accounts on this forum where girls have been pulled over and even after showing a valid (male) drivers license they were addressed politely as a female.

I have the a lot of respect for law enforcement. Over the past few years I have been momentarily detained while they ran an ID check on me. That's normal. Considering the times in which we live.
Yes. I agree that the vast majority conduct themselves in a highly profession manner.
No. I'm not going to file a report about the incident. If I did that ever time I didn't like what someone's opinion I'd be up to my neck in paperwork all the time.
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and let it side this one time. They have a rough job and I know that.
However if it happens again...all bets are off!

dawnmarrie1961
06-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Geez Dawn! At least they didn't give you till sunset to clear out! Take care of yourself.

Deb
You know me....always a safety girl.
My motto: Be safe. Be smart.

dawnmarrie1961
06-15-2011, 10:39 AM
"Your opinion" might get you in trouble here. If you decide to "deal" with police officers as "common everyday thugs", things can only go downhill for you. I'm not saying you shouldn't file a formal complaint or take other appropriate action, but if, for example, the next time they stop you, you ignore them because you view them as common thugs, they have the right as police officers to forcefully stop you, charge you with resisting arrest, etc.

You may feel it is wrong, the folks here may think it is wrong, but as long as they are officers of the law, they can do it and there's not much you can do about it.

Someone once said: "So long as laws are absolute no man is free." These words are not a call for lawlessness and choas. They were meant as warning to those who cloak themselves in the rule of law in order to further their own personal agenda.

Jaelle
06-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Dawn, I just moved from Elkhorn to Utah and I'm actually surprised you have met some pretty open people. Omaha is a pretty conservative town. My tattoos usually got second looks and people would avoid me like you wouldn't believe. Do be careful with the cops in Omaha though. They all think they are a bunch of hard asses and can get away with anything. Especially in the down town, north omaha area.

dawnmarrie1961
06-15-2011, 10:57 AM
I didn't do anything wrong. Existing is not wrong. If it is then we've all got a problem .
I don't hide. I don't need to and don't want to. I know who I am. I have nothing to be ashamed of or be fearful of.
I have the right to protect myself, within reason, against anyone that chooses to do me physical harm.
I don't want to die but I'm not afraid of living.
I'm using the word "I" a little to much right now. I don't want to appear like I'm stuck on myself.
Forgive me. I'm just venting.

Jean Ann S
06-15-2011, 11:00 AM
And they were wrong in one thing - It is Arkansas that is the armpit of the nation. This is a provable fact.[/QUOTE]

I hope this doesnt post twice :

But was not Arkansas the Home of the Eureka Enfemme Getaway for years ?

Jean Ann

dawnmarrie1961
06-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Dawn, I just moved from Elkhorn to Utah and I'm actually surprised you have met some pretty open people. Omaha is a pretty conservative town. My tattoos usually got second looks and people would avoid me like you wouldn't believe. Do be careful with the cops in Omaha though. They all think they are a bunch of hard asses and can get away with anything. Especially in the down town, north omaha area.

It's funny you should say that. So far I have found that Omaha, Nebraska is inhabited by some very nice people. That is not to say that they might not have their own personal beliefs, which I respect.
Case in point: I was walking an elder friend downtown to show him how to use the ATM to withdraw money.He trusts me. I've showed him before but he forgot. Anyway we got talking as we walked and he said to me "I respect you, Blondie, but I don't agree with your choice of lifestyle."
"I've never asked you to." I said " Thankyou for your honesty."

Kerigirl2009
06-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I would carry a small recorder with you the next time you go on a walk so if they come back you can record the conversation, making sure you say their names as you speak with them. even if it isnt admissable in court, the damage will be done to them when it becomes public record.

or maybe even a digital recorder so you can capture their images.
Either way those type of people need to go.

We just might get some positive press for once.

Good luck

sterling12
06-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Oh gosh Dawn, I imagine they thought you might be hookin', and they decided to "Roust" you and your supposed John. It's unpleasant, but unless they do it repeatedly you can't do much about it. Same thing with The Comment about "Get out of Town!" Most Cops are smarter than to say something that could be used in a Lawsuit. Notice they didn't say you should get out of town because they would make your life a misery, didn't threaten, didn't say something pejorative about your being TG. What they said: "Omaha's an Armpit, and that's why you should leave." They could have been referring to Anything. Perhaps they meant Omaha is "unfriendly" to T-Folk. Perhaps they meant it was a bad area and you might be assaulted, or worse.

Now if The Harassment continues, you have A Case! They gave you fair warning, so don't give them anything to use. Keep your cool, say "yes Sir....No Sir." Don't ever lose your temper with them, and figure they will leave you be....until and if, they prove otherwise.

Peace and Love, Joanie

dawnmarrie1961
06-16-2011, 10:15 AM
I went to church service last night. It was kind of ironic that the word that was given had to do about the law. It made me feel better to know that there are laws that supersede those of man. I always take comfort in that knowledge. I took a moment and prayed for the officers that some way they would change their hardened hearts.
I spoke to the pastor afterwards and told him about what had happened. He said that next time, if it occurs again, to take down their badge numbers or the patrol car number because we have friends high up in the department that will take care of it.
I guess it is better with such matters to leave them in hands bigger than mine.:)

For everthing there is a reason and a purpose.