PDA

View Full Version : WTF - I Mean, Really?

Christy_M
06-17-2011, 03:28 AM
my finger nails are bending backwards and splitting. I have never had this problem beofre. What gives

Maybe a little more troubling was driving down the road and I saw someone walking across the street and a simple thought came into my mind that would not ordinarily have been there..."He's kinda cute." WTF I don't think I have ever had that thought before and I was not even thinking about sexuiality, either just that "as guys go, he's kinda cute." where does this even come from?

Gerrijerry
06-17-2011, 04:15 AM
How about talking to a counselor.

Jeanna
06-17-2011, 04:56 AM
Did he make your heart throb or did you just notice that he is a good looking guy?

thechic
06-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Thank god some one else has had those thoughts, i was about to go and get a Frontal lobotomy,because ive been noticing guys more often. scary

Jay Cee
06-17-2011, 06:03 AM
How about talking to a counselor.

About her finger nail problem? Seems a bit extreme. ;)

Seriously, though - It may be your true self that is coming to the forefront, Christy. Just remember that it is okay to have those thoughts.

:hugs:

Jorja
06-17-2011, 06:58 AM
First the finger nail problem.
Nails are made of a protein called keratin, make sure your diet includes an adequate amount of protein. People who go on crash diets or make sudden dietary changes often notice that their nails get thinner and brittle. Because nails are not made of calcium, taking calcium supplements will not help them. Taking a daily supplement with biotin (a B vitamin) may help strengthen brittle nails. Avoid using your nails to open packages or pop the tops of soda cans. If you do see a split or crack in a nail, resist the urge to peel the nail off; instead, immediately file the ragged edges with a nail file or emery board and buff the surface smooth with a nail buffer. This will prevent the split from getting longer and weakening the nail. Filing your nails into a soft rounded shape (instead of straight across) will also help make them stronger and less likely to split. Frequent hand washing can dehydrate the nails and predispose them to splitting, be sure to moisturize your nails after they've been in water. You can use hand cream or cuticle oil. To further protect your nails, wear gloves when you're doing the dishes, gardening, or working with any chemicals or solvents.
If you wear nail polish, avoid acetone-containing polish removers, which can dry out the nail. Instead, look for "acetone free" products. Consider taking a break from nail polish and just buffing your nails for a shiny, natural look.
You might also try Try DermaNail Nail Conditioner or NeoCeuticals Nail Conditioning Solution. They help smooth out splits on the nail surface, so nails have a chance to grow longer before they break off. If all else fails, please contact your doctor.

Now for the guy thing ;)
Remember you have started on HRT. It is not uncommon for "us girls" to start having these thoughts. Your brain is undergoing a chemical change. Like get the bad out and the good in (kind of like an oil change). I know it can be really strange to have these feelings and thoughts but then.... you are becoming a woman.

Michelle.M
06-17-2011, 07:15 AM
HRT can affect the nails, making them thinner. Perhaps your splitting is a result of that.

Steph.TS
06-17-2011, 07:23 AM
as for the guy thing, it's a concern I have too as from a religious PoV I'm not sure if I would be considered gay or straight if after transition I desired men or women, I mean how does God see it original gender or current gender defines that? anyways as many people on here have said gender and sexuality are 2 seperate things, but it's my thoughts that hormones can have a influence on this. my way of thinking is that for the continuation of our species (or any species for that matter) males need to be attracted to females and vice versa so it would make sense that most brains would have a switch of sorts that recieves messages from hormones to indicate to the brain the situation it's in, we already know hormones play some effect in sexuality testosterone effect both men and women by giving them a sex drive what's the say hormones aren't suggesting what we might look for in a mate (men look for breats and curves, and I'd imagine women look for safety and security from men) that may show those attributes in physical form.

if men are looking at the breasts and wider hips creates desire but subconsciously it's due to the ability of the female to have children and care for the children, and the women might be subconsciously looking for a mate that'll be fertile and a good father. I could be entirely wrong just some thoughts I've had on this topic so HRT very well could have impacted you into having these thoughts. please if anyone has more information and I'm wrong please let me know.

Lorileah
06-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Attractiveness knows no gender bounds. We are all conditioned to what is attractive or pleasant to look at. Right now as things change you are just more aware and probably over analyze this. Think about it. You have a favorite actor (or several) and even though you may not have been thinking about it, you somehow find them attractive. A guy who takes time to look good will be more noticeable in public than most guys who dress to unimpress. Don't put too much weight on this. As with everything else, it is a bell curve and not a straight line or dot on the graph. I still remember my first time, 35 years ago when I looked up at the young man taking my order at Taco Bell and I am sure he thought I was crazy but his looks took my breath away and especially his ice blue eyes with his cappuccino complexion.

As far as your nails, anything that effects your for weeks or months will show in your nails as they are slow growing. Certain diseases cause brittle nails and striations. Changes in hormones and metabolism and even diet will effect how they grow. It is probably nothing but it never hurts to have a doctor check it out

Nicole Erin
06-17-2011, 12:09 PM
nails - well that is answered...

Men - Well as you become more of a woman, it just seems natural to want a man. It happens to a lot of us.

Mahoro
06-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Although I'm bi, I still generally don't find men all that attractive, however I certainly wouldn't throw Dwayne Johnson or David Boreanaz out of my bed, LOL!

Cute is cute, don't deny yourself the pleasure of appreciating a little eye candy now and then!

Kaitlyn Michele
06-17-2011, 03:46 PM
What a crazy world huh Christy..

I don't know the science of it at all.. i know is that it is very common for sexuality to be fluid during real transitions.

Melody Moore
06-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Christy, when I started my transition, like you I wasn't at all attracted to men, but nowadays I find
myself taking more & more notice of guys, especially the hot looking guys. I just can't help myself.
Just yesterday I was driving with a girlfriend to the shops yesterday afternoon & this hunky guy who
was also around our age but looking absolutely fantastic for his age was running along the side of the
road. Even my girlfriend, a natal female said to me that isn't something you see every day. Men like
him are really hard to find, but we both felt warm & fuzzy inside the moment we laid eyes on him. :heehee:

Christy_M
06-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the words of wisdom. It wasn't a heart throb kin of thing but just a realization that he was attractive. In my youth I would look at a woman and think "I would love to get 'that'" and this isn't the feeling at all I had but It made me think about what is in store for me over the coming months. I am not disgusted or disappointed. just feeling like this path I am on is going to be interesting to say the least. Especially if it can make me have reactions like this without warning.

The nails are just a nuisance. I typically wear fakes so the appearance isn't that big of a deal but I do have them ripped back on a few fingers beyond a comfortable point and I can't wait for them to grow out a little to cover the exposed nerves...:)

Aprilrain
06-18-2011, 01:08 AM
FYI fake nails are bad for your real nails. what I have read and my personal experience is that hormones seemed to have strengthened my nails. though they do get more brittle in the winter.

All i can say about sexuality is be as open about your sexual preference as you have been about your gender identity and the rest will fall in to place.

Traci Elizabeth
06-18-2011, 10:00 PM
It is not my experience that HRT strengthens nails at all. Before HRT, I could use my nails as flat head screwdrivers and they never split or broke off with ease. Now on HRT for 1.5 years, my nails are very soft, break easily, and can split almost as easy. Always carrying a file and nail cutter in my purse is a must for me.

Jennie1975
06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh my Christy you drank the water didn't you?! Lol. Really though we have talked about my evolution since accepting myself. Have no fear you will end up finding yourself being attracted to the person not what's between their legs.

Jennifer

Jorja
06-20-2011, 05:59 AM
Hi Christy,
Just had a thought...... It might be the new stress of making your change (ie... divorce, moving, going full time) that might be causing your nails to split?

Gina X
06-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the words of wisdom. It wasn't a heart throb kin of thing but just a realization that he was attractive. In my youth I would look at a woman and think "I would love to get 'that'" and this isn't the feeling at all I had but It made me think about what is in store for me over the coming months. I am not disgusted or disappointed. just feeling like this path I am on is going to be interesting to say the least. Especially if it can make me have reactions like this without warning.

The nails are just a nuisance. I typically wear fakes so the appearance isn't that big of a deal but I do have them ripped back on a few fingers beyond a comfortable point and I can't wait for them to grow out a little to cover the exposed nerves...:)

The advice I had from my beautician for my splitting nails was to rub vaseline into them and it worked a treat after doing it every night for about a week, now I just do it occasionally when I see any signs ..............

Teri Jean
06-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Christy,
First the fingernail thing is something I have dealt with for years so I have gel nails and the problem has been resolved.

Now the change of focus is so cute in that I was talking with a gf the other day about this and how I had to take a closer look at my preferences also. Maybe it was there all the time but trying to be the "guy" for so long it was hidden. Now the landscape of potential partners just doubled. Be careful and have fun.

Bree-asaurus
06-20-2011, 09:52 AM
After 25 years or so I finally admitted to myself that I like guys. After that, I admitted to myself that I was not one.

I know a lot of girls find out they like guys after they start transitioning. I don't think it's because of the hormones or anything (although I'm basing that purely on my uneducated assumptions), I think it's because once you stop lying to yourself about who you really are, it becomes easier to accept that maybe you didn't like girls, or maybe you like guys too. I think it worked that way (but backwards) for me. Once I accepted that I liked guys, I started questioning everything else about myself... what else was I hiding from?