PDA

View Full Version : That little white stick

Jonien
10-05-2005, 05:59 AM
My Doctor has often tryed to get me to stop smoking with all the verios reasons ect.now her latest one that if i was to go on HRT it will have to stop.now i understand her reasoning but if i must then ok but is this is just a ploy or will smoking lesson the benifits of taking the drugs.i now there are anti smoking campaners here so if you are then please refrain from replying i need positive replys

Caitlyn
10-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi Jonien. When starting HRT, you must remember that you are changing pretty much everything about yourself (chemicaly). There are high risks of certain hormones not being suitable to you for any number of reasons. Smoking effects many of the same organs that HRT is also effecting. I have given up smoking (JAN 3RD 2005) because I have read of these risks. Maybe it is just scare mongering, but why treat your new body for which you are fighting so hard for so badly. People say that if you can quit smoking, you certainly have the will power to diet. I think if you have the strength to get through RLT, then you can certainly stop smoking. Good luck.
PS ....yes I still would like a smoke ty.

Lauren_T
10-05-2005, 11:27 AM
No, Jonien, hate to say it luv, but it's not scaremonging. With any hormone supplement, the risk of blood clotting exists, but it's usually not a big one.

But smoking and taking hormones tremendously increases the risk of blood clots - medical fact, I'm afraid... and clots, I can tell you, are as serious as one can get.

The risk is mainly with hormone taken orally, since they go through the liver. Ask your doctor about transdermal patches, they're much less risky for smokers and ex-smokers... (sounds like one of those adverts, donnit?)

I've been a heavy smoker for years, but I'm going to stop completely before starting hormones, and I'm going to use the patches as well...

Deborah
10-05-2005, 03:44 PM
WOW what a bonus. Breasts or cigarettes...you decide. Hmmm ok breasts :DI have tried quitting many times unsuccessfully and would gladly quit one for the other.

Jonien
10-05-2005, 04:46 PM
WOW what a bonus. Breasts or cigarettes...you decide. Hmmm ok breasts :DI have tried quitting many times unsuccessfully and would gladly quit one for the other.
I found it easy to give up can do it about 30 times a day no problem lol ......... but seriosly if its boobs or cigarettes then no contest...so thank you all for helping me make up my mind I am from this moment on the wagon iv'e had my last one.......

Caitlyn
10-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Good on you. If you want another reason to give up, just think of the money you can spend on clothes, and just think of the higher notes you will be able to reach in a few months, and think of what the smoke is doing to your skin. when I made the decision to transition, I set a date (about a month and a half into the future).....and stuck to it. First few days, I was irritable. The cravings do lessen. Most days I dont even think of them. If you need support or just a chat, buzz me.

Jonien
10-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks for your support girls I know now that I have to do this just needed a reason but to day has been hard evern though it has been a bissy day with much to do first job serch then to the dentist to make apointment then get my nails done picked up a new red blouse and a yellow cardi knicker and a sports bra then back home pick up my wife take her to her apointment from ther had a late lunch then of to see a friend (estate agent) about a new flat and finaly just got home to a cup of coffee now I want that smoke loged on to your replyes and thanks with your support I may just manage this time

chris80
10-06-2005, 05:10 PM
the best way to stop smoking is to go 'cold turkey', and it is easy if you have a good enough reason;e.g. you have just been told you have serious heart disease or lung cancer(though by then it is probably a little late).
no doctor is going to prescribe the oestrogen contraceptive pill to a woman over 30-35 who smokes because of the risk of thrombosis. the same reason applies to a tg/ts who wants female hormones.if you can't give up tobacco then tough titty(or no titties)

Jonien
10-06-2005, 05:23 PM
the best way to stop smoking is to go 'cold turkey', and it is easy if you have a good enough reason;e.g. you have just been told you have serious heart disease or lung cancer(though by then it is probably a little late).
no doctor is going to prescribe the oestrogen contraceptive pill to a woman over 30-35 who smokes because of the risk of thrombosis. the same reason applies to a tg/ts who wants female hormones.if you can't give up tobacco then tough titty(or no titties)
yes iv'e made the move having my own tittes is very importent to me so the smokes are no more kaput end of gone away .....well ok i'm missing them but what the hell I need hrt more than any thing so it has to be so it is and will be..... I can do it I can do it...............

Jonien
10-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Day two and still not smoking but hell it's hard

Ibuki_Warpetal
10-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Not as hard as pushing a bus up a hill.

Jonien
10-08-2005, 04:22 AM
Not as hard as pushing a bus up a hill.

Wonna bet:Pullhair:

Vivian Best
10-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Over time it does get easier my dear, from experience I can make that statement. After 40 years I can safely say I never think of them. I couldn't say that after 5 years. I still wanted a smoke.

For your future well being, don't start back. You have a powerful goal ... Keep it in mind at all times. Never think about what your giving up, just think of what you'll be getting!

Good Luck

Vivian

Caitlyn
10-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Hi...glad to see you are still off the wicked weed. Two things that helped me....
(1) Say to your-self that you havnt given up, more like you will have one eventually. The thought of NEVER smoking again stopped me quitting a few times. You are just going to have a 'break' from smoking :o)
(2) Try those little candy ciggies for kids (what were they thinking that would achieve). at about 10p per pack of 10 its much cheaper and u have something to do with ur hands n mouth. 1 or 2 packs a day.....4 or 5 weeks...and ur over the worst of it.
Good luck again.

Wendy-Anne
10-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Hey girl! Congratulations! You are on your way!
As a person that once smoked, all I can say is that each day is a new beginning and each day gets better and better.
What they don't tell us is that we smoke to relieve the discomfort that happens as our bodies scour the poison from our system and the nicotene levels in our bloodstream drop.
When we have a cigarette, the relief from the withdrwal symptoms is so euphoric that we soon translate it into pleasure.
Not only that, we soon learn to apply that sense of relief to almost all other discomforts we face in day to day living!
This is really powerfull stuff. No wonder it is so damm hard to quit!
Think about it, eh?
Lotsa love,
Wendy-Anne

Jamie M
10-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Congrats to you Christina , hope it all goes well for you. I'm up to month 9 of quiting and I can tell you that despite how you may feel now , it does get easier.

I suppose having something to shoot for at the end of it all is a big encouragement as well. If you do need any help/hints or even just someone to scream at when you REALLY want one give me a bell and I'll try and help

hugs

Jonien
10-17-2005, 11:17 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_115v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZRxdm075YYNL) Well just an update it's been like 10 days and the patches have run out and I'm on my first day without them so-far it's been hard but I must carry on I can't go through this again http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_67.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZRxdm075YYNL)

Ibuki_Warpetal
10-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Didja quit smokin' yet?

It's not as hard as building a space faring rocket.

deeasheville
10-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Well just an update it's been like 10 days and the patches have run out and I'm on my first day without them so-far it's been hard but I must carry on I can't go through this again

I hope your still quit, just remember why.

And remember if I can quit after 26 years nonstop and 3 1/2 packs a day.

You can do it too.

JOANNE
10-21-2005, 06:29 AM
When I gave up smoking, I also kept out of the pubs, as the first thing you want when having a drink is a cigarette. Incidently the craving continued for years, although diminishing gradually.

Joanne

Jonien
10-21-2005, 08:18 AM
well I wont because of your support has kept me off the weed there has been times I will admit that the temptation has been great and very nearly gave in but I have gaol and would mean telling you girls I could not do it would be an inbarisment to me so it is still thanks to you all I'm still a non smoker after 15 weeks alright 15 days it just seems like weeks

Deborah
10-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Good for you girl keep it up. :thumbsup:

Caitlyn
10-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Im proud of you. Well done. There are going to be times (soon) that you are going to feel that you HAVE to have one....just one... Please dont give in to that. Its the cigarette companys last attempt at getting you back on them (lol). A few more weeks and then its will power only. NO chemicals left. Keep us updated. Hugsss