PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Therapist

AnnaCalliope
06-19-2011, 07:15 AM
I'm moving to Portland, OR in about a month so I can safely start transition without having to worry about dealing with family issues. I am out to most of my family, but while they are mostly accepting of my transgender-ness, they are still not ready to fully integrate Anna into their lives and I can't keep her inside any longer.

Anyway, I still need to get my letter so I can start HRT and I was wondering if anyone knew a good Therapist in the Portland area. I'd really like to be able to start before I left for the west coast, but my funds are rather limited as I'm saving most of what I get (which isn't much) for the move out there.

I already have a good support network of friends setup out there. 3 of my former roommates from Atlanta have a place and an extra room for me when I finally make the move. I've already talked to three companies who do the same kind of work as I do now, and told me that they are willing to hire me within a week of my arrival.

I have sat on the fence on transition for the better part of ten years, and now that I've finally come to terms with being transgendered, I'm really anxious about starting HRT and going full-time. I just want to get my letter and start already, but I know that it can take a few months of therapy to just get the initial diagnosis. I'm not trying to rush the process, but everyday I have to wait eats me up inside a little bit more.

Thanks for your help and support.

--Anna

Stephenie S
06-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Google it.

You will find TONS of therapists in the Portland area.

S

Doodlen
06-19-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm not in your area so I can't really help you there, but would you consider online therapy? There's a doctor I know of, I've had friends who went to him and he's legit and everything. His letters are valid and if you need a second letter (some places do) he has a collegue who does that. And he's decently cheap.
I just want to say, though, that one of my friends who went to him said that if you have serious issues you're trying to resolve try somewhere else, because online isn't always best for things like that. But if it's mostly for a letter for something, or if you're fairly sure of yourself, I'd reccommend him.

Here's the link to his website, there's all the info you'd need:

http://www.gendertherapist.com/

AnnaCalliope
06-19-2011, 10:44 PM
I am very sure of myself. At the beginning of my teens, when the feelings of "wrong body" really started to get deep, I devoured every piece of info I could on transition, SRS, psychological research, side effects, coming out, the works. I thought I was ready for HRT back then, but a lot of life changes shelved it until earlier this year, when I realized I had to stop being the person everyone else wanted me to be, and start being myself.

AnnaCalliope
06-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Google it.

You will find TONS of therapists in the Portland area.

S

I have googled and checked a number of websites, but I was just wondering if anyone could make a recommendation from their own personal experience, while seeing as each therapist claims to have oodles of experience on their website, and claims to be kind and understanding, we all know this isn't always the case.

Sharon
06-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Check out the list below, you will find a number of respected and recommended therapists in the Portland area:

http://www.lauras-playground.com/gender_therapists.htm

I'm not sure how well the list is updated, but telephone calls to the therapists will help you.

Good luck!