PDA

View Full Version : Any ladies in the military?

Erika_bagels
06-19-2011, 06:51 PM
It's a bit more of a dilemma, even though DADT is going away, the military can be a far less-forgiving place than it wants to look on paper. Has anyone else managed to strike a balance with work and CD while still maintaining a shroud of privacy?

Aeron
06-19-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm former military, and haven't been in uniform in about twenty years. So I might not be totally up on the current state of things on the inside. However, even when DADT is finally gone, I doubt that being TG/CD in the active military will be a career enhancing activity. for me, it was something I pretty-much completely submereged within myself for the duration. In retrospect, probably not the healthiest idea ever. I can see gays and lesbians being eventually accepted in the military culture but, unfortunately, I think crossdressing will just play into the worst preconceptions and stereotypes of those opposing the repeal of DADT for a very long time to come.

Erika_bagels
06-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Who was that guy on MASH who always wore dresses? Somehow I think I'd always conjure up that image.

Randilegs
06-19-2011, 08:23 PM
I spent my time on active duty doing completely without my girly side. On MASH, Klinger was funny, but not realistic. Completely aside from CDing not being career enhancing, it is likely to provoke a barracks beat-down. That _might_ get the offender an NJP, but that will just escalate the emnity.

It is worth notnig that the VA can/has paid for breast enlargement and even SRS.

Randi

Erika_bagels
06-19-2011, 08:31 PM
damn. What's a girl to do?

Debglam
06-19-2011, 09:14 PM
I was career Navy and you are probably right Erika, BUT. . . I think of all the just plain crazy people I served with and CD'ing would be the least of the military's worries!

BTW, do a search for a post made this past Veterans Day. You would be amazed at how many of us there are.

Groton - subs?

sissystephanie
06-19-2011, 10:07 PM
I spent 4 years in the Navy during the Korean War and was a CD all the time. I was onboard a ship almost all the time, so had little chance to dress. But when on leave, Stephanie came out!! As Deb said, there are a lot oif us, including some still on duty!

Erika_bagels
06-19-2011, 10:12 PM
That's exciting to know that some of you pulled it off. And no, I'm not a submariner, I'm just working shore duty between ships. Although, if I was a submariner, nobody would bat an eye, from the stories I've heard. I could probably sleep in lingerie and get a phone number or two, XD

Kathi Lake
06-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Current military - over 30 years so far. I've been caught by my commander during a dorm inspection in 1982, a military physical a year or so ago, multiple other times for various little things, and yet I'm still in. Sure, I'm in the Reserves now, but I'm still here.

By the way, DADT has nothing to do with us. It is not a "get out of jail free" card for any behavior that the military sees as aberrant. Understand that.

Kathi

Katie1991
06-19-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm active duty military now. I pretty much dress for short periods of time at my apartment off base when I get the chance. I agree with you all that if anyone in my shop found out, It would turn out to a non stop beat down. So for that reason I keep my dressing to myself. I don't leave my apartment, and I lock all doors and close all blinds before I even think about dressing

Michelle Crossfire
06-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Who was that guy on MASH who always wore dresses? Somehow I think I'd always conjure up that image.

that would be Corporal Klinger, played by Jamie Farr

Michelle.M
06-20-2011, 06:22 AM
First off, DADT has no impact on being trans. DADT is about sexual orientation, not gender identity or expression.

I can't speak for the other services, but in the Army there is a regulation that specifies the medical standards for service (AR 40-501). Bottom line, there is a passage that covers being gay (which will now have to be revised), but there is another passage that specifically cites crossdressing, transsexuality or any attempts to change gender as grounds for being deemed unqualified for further service.

The good news, no disciplinary or legal action will follow, it will simply be an administrative discharge. The bad news, they act fast and a Soldier can expect to be discharged in 30 days. Repeal of DADT gives no protection in that case.

So the answer to the original question - yes, there are many! But it's better to stay stealth unless you need a rapid career change.

CaitlynRenee
06-20-2011, 09:31 AM
On the other hand, I know of a couple of TS qualified individuals who are known CDs, one of whom is also gay (with pics of him and his mom while he's en femme on his desk), and his command has no problems with it apparently. He's out, it doesn't effect his work performance and he is also part of a 'drag review' at a local night spot. I guess it's because he can't be compromised or blackmailed that makes it a non-issue. Either that or his CO is rather enlightened.

When I was on R&R in Thailand back in 1969, I met up with a pretty young woman who was the sister of a Thai friend of mine in the states. I met her when she had visited him in Dallas. She was definitely a GG, but when the very 'active' R&R was over (5 days), she handed me a pair of very sexy panties and said, "Mine are too small for you so I bought these for you. You should wear them because they are comfortable, feel good, are sexy and I know you will like them. You can have mine too remember my by." I think I still have them somewhere. At least that's what I tell her everytime she comes to visit her brother Chip :heehee:. Think she knew?

I dressed off and on during the first 12 years of my career and pretty regularly for the last 10 years, including a lot of underdressing.

BillieJoEllen
06-20-2011, 09:44 AM
While stationed in Germany I was about five miles away from a young CDer at a different unit. He was documented in the paper Stars and Stripes. I never met him/her but many of my barracks buddies did. That was in 1970. The military looked the other way.

SuzanneBender
06-20-2011, 12:55 PM
26 Year in currently serving in Afghanistan. Never had an issue with my gender identity, but I do my best to keep it out of my military life.

Beth Wilde
06-20-2011, 03:15 PM
19 years in the RAF (UK) so far..... We are very lucky though, I am openly gay and a lot of people know I dress too, though not yet shown most of them....
We also have quite a few people still serving who have been through SRS.

Stephanie47
06-21-2011, 04:24 PM
It has been quite some time since I was in the military. Back during the Viet Nam era MOST commanders tended to look the other way at gays and lesbians, as long as their activities did not interfere with work performance. Of course, all it took was one NCO or officer to make an issue of a service members sexual preference, and, the person was discharged. There have been several prominent stories in the media of active duty personnel serving twenty plus years, only to be discharged because somebody pushed the issue. With DADT hitting the dust there will not be any change in military regulations defining unacceptable conduct. I'm sure the JAG officers are scratching their collective heads over cross-dressing. We will not know until someone decides to make an issue of cross-dressing with an exemplary soldier, sailor or marine.

RobynB
06-22-2011, 05:51 AM
I served 28 years on active duty and reserves in the US Army. I would dress in my BOQ room but would only leave the room underdressed and wearing boots.
Never got caught.

Danni Renee
06-22-2011, 07:07 AM
19 and counting in the Army. I am still looking for that balance myself. I am completely in the closet to all my peers, only my girlfriend knows.

"Mary"
07-14-2011, 10:54 PM
I missed this thread earlier, Better late than never. I retired from the US Army 5 yrs NG & 22 yrs AD. I kept it all in all those years.

donnatracey
07-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Retired from AF 15 yrs ago and managed to keep it to myself with exception of ex-wife. Dressed only at home on weekends while living both on/off base. Would not have been good for my career if it got out!.......:eek:

Brandi layne
07-15-2011, 03:51 AM
I was in the marine corps for 2 years until I severely injured my knee.but my dressing never interfered with my duty

Karen 812
07-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Served 21 years in the Coast Guard, dressed as Karen much of the time, even goin out on weekends. I was lucky to live off base so did not encounter many co-workers.

Michaela42
07-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Former Navy, and I kept my feminine side as far apart from my military life as possible. I still dressed, but only in hotel rooms and I kept my things at a storage unit.

We actually had a guy show up at a dress inspection in full female uniform. The Captain never batted an eyelash, other than to give him a demerit for not having a proper uniform. Of course it was known that the guy was just trying to get out of the service.

DonnaT
07-15-2011, 03:12 PM
A number of us were in the militarry and most started CDing before entering the service.

However, now is not a good time to reveal having gender issues/CDing. Bradley Manning (http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/20/was-alleged-wikileak.html), the soldier accused of leaking US diplomatic cables to Wikileaks, spent much time talking about being gay and questioning his gender. He's currently in solitary confinement 23/24/7

CynthiaD
07-15-2011, 04:04 PM
I spent three years in the army and was completely purged during that time. I don't think that CDing and military service will ever mix, but hopefully I'm wrong about that. I always loved the long dresses that the Vietnamese women wore (called ao zais) but I've never had the opportunity to try one on.

CK

MargoM
07-24-2011, 09:28 PM
I got a free pass in my mind to underdress with pantyhose. I late '77 I was part of a crew sent up to Edwards to fly a endurance test flight of the newly stretched C-141. The 1-Dash 1 Performance Manual was all calculated data and had to be flight proven. During one of the pre-flight briefing/planning meeting was with the Psychological Training people. It was suggested to ware HANES ALIVE under the flight suit. The Doctor was to explained that the reason feet get cold and legs cramp while flying is because of restricted circulation from sitting in lower pressure environments. (these guys teach our Astronauts and test pilots too) So I have a free pass RIGHT? Off we go the next day and 31 hours later land at Edwards after flying around the world and doing 4 inflight refuelings. The last 7 years of my career anything over a 8 hour leg the Hanes went on including 9 trips to the South Pole for warmth. 8 of the 12 of us ADMITTED to wearing Hanes or Shear Energy lol

I did 20 yrs 5 months of USAF and flew 13,004 hours.

Aleria
07-24-2011, 11:07 PM
First off, DADT has no impact on being trans. DADT is about sexual orientation, not gender identity or expression.

I can't speak for the other services, but in the Army there is a regulation that specifies the medical standards for service (AR 40-501). Bottom line, there is a passage that covers being gay (which will now have to be revised), but there is another passage that specifically cites crossdressing, transsexuality or any attempts to change gender as grounds for being deemed unqualified for further service.

The good news, no disciplinary or legal action will follow, it will simply be an administrative discharge. The bad news, they act fast and a Soldier can expect to be discharged in 30 days. Repeal of DADT gives no protection in that case.

So the answer to the original question - yes, there are many! But it's better to stay stealth unless you need a rapid career change.

The appropriate reg she's quoting above:

3–35. Personality, psychosexual conditions, transsexual, gender identity, exhibitionism,
transvestism, voyeurism, other paraphilias, or factitious disorders; disorders of impulse control not
elsewhere classified
a. A history of, or current manifestations of, personality disorders, disorders of impulse control not elsewhere
classified, transvestism, voyeurism, other paraphilias, or factitious disorders, psychosexual conditions, transsexual,
gender identity disorder to include major abnormalities or defects of the genitalia such as change of sex or a current
attempt to change sex, hermaphroditism, pseudohermaphroditism, or pure gonadal dysgenesis or dysfunctional residuals
from surgical correction of these conditions render an individual administratively unfit.
b. These conditions render an individual administratively unfit rather than unfit because of physical illness or
medical disability. These conditions will be dealt with through administrative channels, including AR 135–175, AR
135–178, AR 635–200, or AR 600–8–24.

Aleria
07-24-2011, 11:13 PM
One point mentioned during our DADT briefings was that while gay/lesbian/bi could now serve openly, transsexuals were NOT allowed and would be out.

And judging from the regs, TV/CD will also be asked to leave.

Schatten Lupus
07-24-2011, 11:58 PM
I was going to, but my knees and shins are so twisted and deformed they wouldn't take me. The benefits would have helped, but in the end I'm glad I couldn't so I could get started on, and more comfortable with, this part of my life.

However, now is not a good time to reveal having gender issues/CDing. Bradley Manning, the soldier accused of leaking US diplomatic cables to Wikileaks, spent much time talking about being gay and questioning his gender. He's currently in solitary confinement 23/24/7
I really doubt him talking about being gay and questioning his gender had anything to do with him spending time in solitary. If he is found guilty of leaking those documents he'll probably be looking at charges of treason.

Andromeda
07-25-2011, 02:53 AM
Spent my time in the Navy. There is no privacy on a ship so I had to just wish a lot.

Wendy W
07-25-2011, 08:43 AM
12 years in the Coast Guard and still in the Reserves, going for the big '20.' Have underdressed over the years, especially the colder months and have not had any issues.

After repealling the DADT and subsequently being re-educated on the subject, I mentioned CD/TS during a Command Cadre walkaround for any Q&A's on the subject. They were aware of the subject and knew of an individual or two that actually transitioned with approval! Although a rare case, the final word was that CD's would not have any protection if we came out to the Command and would most likely be dismissed as stated above by Aleria.

WW

StaceyJane
07-25-2011, 08:53 AM
12 years in the Army. I really struggled at times trying to find myself.

Jeannie
07-25-2011, 04:34 PM
I spent a total of 31 years in National Guard and Army Reserve and was Active duty with both organizations. I retired in Sep 10 and during my time in the military I only dressed during that last 10 or so years (I really didn't keep up with the time). The only time I dressed while on duty was when I was on TDY and I drove there and I was not sharing a room with anyone. I never under dressed except one time I wore some panty hose under my uniform and I was so paranoid that some one would notice that it was almost impossible to work that day. When I got home I told myself never again. For me it wasn't worth putting my career in jeopardy and now that I am retired I am so glad that I made that decision. I could dress at home all I wanted to and that was enough to satisfy my urges. It was right for me and in the final analysis one must do what they think is right for themselves and their families. I found that there was always someone that had self appointed themselves the additional duty of being the regulation police and would do anything within their self appointed duty description to find things to charge someone with so that they can get their "atta boy award". Those of you in the Army should know what I am talking about. Just be careful he is still out there and waiting to do anyone in for there own self appointed agenda.

RenneB
07-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Did three in the Army back in the cold war days. Closest thing to armed conflict I saw was going on alert when Carter tried to free the hostages in *ran. The company I was with was all male and we knew who was gay and who wasn't and it didn't bother us. You can get pretty lazy about rules during peacetime just sitting around waiting for the word...

Never had a chance to dress during my entire time. But then again, being in germany gives a male a lot of outs.

Renne.....

lynn_lynn
07-25-2011, 05:46 PM
DEP reserves, 82nd ABD..mos 94a. gulf war 1 and 2. They have code names, I dont feel like typing them out.
Iraq/ Kuwait 91
Iraq/Afghanistan 02
and more fubar. :(

Cding was never an issue, sometimes I skirted around playing pranks. Wore a pair of panties in quarters. some other guy got in the mail from home and I danced around entertaining 5 to 7 fellas and we all laughed in a male bonding ritual. Young buck missed his lil girlfriend and we all teased him to make him feel better.. Delta Company :usa:
And I excelled in the art of camouflage..
:D

MargoM
07-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Lynn_Lynn Thank You ;-) I airlifted the 82nd many times but most of the time you guys were not onboard when I landed.

I have read on other forums that pantyhose were wanted to wear to keep sand flees from bitting. Any truth to that, I do remember see a list at Kroger's for the "Troop Care Packages" donations box requesting feminine hygiene items and pantyhose.

Carla
07-25-2011, 10:25 PM
I did 22 years in the army and was deep in the closet the whole time. While I enjoyed CDing as much as possible (I mostly lived off base) I was EXTRA cautious. I realized that the career and the its benefits would pay off in the end and that once out I would not only be able to crossdress at will, but I could also afford the shopping!!!!! Now I crossdress just about daily.

lynn_lynn
07-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Lynn_Lynn Thank You ;-) I airlifted the 82nd many times but most of the time you guys were not onboard when I landed.

I have read on other forums that pantyhose were wanted to wear to keep sand flees from bitting. Any truth to that, I do remember see a list at Kroger's for the "Troop Care Packages" donations box requesting feminine hygiene items and pantyhose.

Sometimes we would wear pantyhose over the face and head: yes keeps out the sand. eventually youll get used to wearing kufiya and seeing thru its material the same.. having to use a hygine product means someone get shot badly :( I have carried fem tube in my gear, thankfull never needed to use them.. :)

Teri Ray
07-27-2011, 06:56 AM
30 Years US Navy retired. Didn't dress much while serving. Once retired I found I wanted to try dressing fully. Once I got there I could never go back. I dont get to dress as often as I would like but enjoy ever minute of my time dressed. If I am not dressing I am thinking of dressing.

EmilyCD
07-27-2011, 11:51 AM
I used to be in the navy for 8 and a half years. I wore panties and stockings almost all the time while in port on the boat and all the time while on shore duty. I even had a pair of pantyhose i kept in my laundry bag for alone time in my rack.

Laurel B
07-27-2011, 01:01 PM
I spent 4 years in the Marines, trying to hide my cd was difficult in the least. Dressed only a few times. I got caught and got a written reprimand for not being in appropriate civilian attire. I was transfered to an admin unit due to the unit being deployed to Okinawa and my enlistment was up soon and I always knew that I'd only do a 4 year stint.

david
07-27-2011, 01:29 PM
i spent nine years in the royal navy and found it hard to keep my sexuality secret as it woud have ment dismissal on the grounds of unsuitable for navy disipline reasons it is not like that nowadays thank god i still wish i was back in . but am now happy with my new life as a trans fem.