PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing and Hollywood movies.

L'eggs n' heels
06-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Sorry if there is already a thread on this subject, if there is hopefully a mod can direct me there or merge this with it.

Why is it that Crossdressers are never honestly portrayed in movies? If there are ever men wearing women's clothing in a movie, they are always over the top flamboyant drag queens (Priscilla Queen of the Desert, To Wong Fu, etc.) and almost always gay. They never make a movie about a guy who is straight, possibly married, and without psychological problems, who likes to dress up.

Anyone else notice this? I don't even go to the movies anymore, Hollywood disgusts me.

Maria in heels
06-22-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't know if there are any movies, but did you see that Adam Sandler is all over the news in a dress and makeup? I was laughing at work when I saw it on aol, and he's got a pair of 3 inch Mary janes and he is walking all over the set....how come he can walk in those heels???

KandisTX
06-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Actually, there was a movie made by a British film company called "Just Like A Woman" which is EXACTLY what you are wanting to see in a movie about crossdressing.

Movies like Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert and To Wong Foo are about drag queens, and therefore they are portrayed as such. The sad truth is that Crossdressing is not as socially acceptable as we would like it to be so Hollywood stays away from it as a topic.

L'eggs n' heels
06-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Actually, there was a movie made by a British film company called "Just Like A Woman" which is EXACTLY what you are wanting to see in a movie about crossdressing.

Movies like Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert and To Wong Foo are about drag queens, and therefore they are portrayed as such. The sad truth is that Crossdressing is not as socially acceptable as we would like it to be so Hollywood stays away from it as a topic.

Thank you, I will look for "Just Like a Woman", sounds good. Has anyone seen the comedy show called "The Kids in the Hall"? It was produced by Lorne Michaels who created SNL. The cast of the show is 5 guys so they play the male and female roles, so they would dress up and do it well. They talked in interviews about how when they were portraying women, they made a point of not being the over the top drag queens, which is how it's usually done in comedy, but they acually took queues from their girlfriends, Sisters and Mothers about dressing and mannerisms. The guy that I think was the least attractive as a dude was the best looking girl when he was dolled up. He was backstage and the stagehands were checking him out, then he talked and they heard how deep his voice was and were like "oh s***!!"

L'eggs n' heels
06-22-2011, 07:32 PM
how come he can walk in those heels???

Because he's famous and rich.

VioletJourney
06-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Don't forget that in comedies crossdressing is considered objectively funny. To Hollywood men who like dresses are no different than pies in the face or someone getting slapped.

However, I feel that King of the Hill and 30 Rock have done fairly accurate portrayals of us.

L'eggs n' heels
06-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Don't forget that in comedies crossdressing is considered objectively funny. To Hollywood men who like dresses are no different than pies in the face or someone getting slapped.

However, I feel that King of the Hill and 30 Rock have done fairly accurate portrayals of us.

Good point, the English understand this well, ever watch Benny Hill?

I never watched King of the Hill or 30 rock, I'll have to look into those.

NicoleScott
06-22-2011, 07:48 PM
I'v seen the King of the Hill piece, and it was good and respectful, and yes, accurate portrayal.

Tanya C
06-22-2011, 08:52 PM
I recently watched "Just Like a Woman" and I found to be the most realistic portrayal of a crossdresser that I've yet to see in a movie, not about a drag queen or transexual, but an actual crossdresser.

prettytoes
06-22-2011, 08:58 PM
What about "Tootsie"? How about "Mrs. Doubtfire"? And then there was the 80's TV show "Bosom Buddies". Also "Sorority Boys". All included men who crossdressed, and they were all very heterosexual. So not all Hollywood movies and shows display crossdressing men as gay or flambouyant. Just my 2 cents.

L'eggs n' heels
06-22-2011, 09:06 PM
What about "Tootsie"? How about "Mrs. Doubtfire"? And then there was the 80's TV show "Bosom Buddies". Also "Sorority Boys". All included men who crossdressed, and they were all very heterosexual. So not all Hollywood movies and shows display crossdressing men as gay or flambouyant. Just my 2 cents.

Bosom Buddies was actually OK, for what it was, a sitcom. Tom Hanks has done some brilliant stuff and he's got a good heart. Didn't see Mrs. Doubtfire, I might check it out, it just seemed like Hollywood trying to reproduce a success due to a lack of original ideas.

Karren H
06-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Obviously you haven't seen any of the TG movies in my collection... And as mentioned "Just like a woman" is awesome. To Wong Fu... Percilla Queen of the desert. Breakfast on Pluto. The Crying Game. Hedgwig and the angry inch.... Transamerica... Many many good movies on TG subjects and tg stars. . And excusre my spelling. Engineer!! Lol.

Samantha W
06-22-2011, 09:36 PM
I found "The Crying Game" on Netflix. Where can I find "Just Like a Woman"?

Karren H
06-22-2011, 09:42 PM
I borrowed "Just like a woman" from a local tg friend and copied it to dvd... I have yet to find it on dvd. I have a good sized collection, may I've picked up at Barnes and Noble locally. .

Dr.Susan
06-23-2011, 05:54 AM
I have seen all of the movies in this thread except for Hedwig, and I feel not a single one has done any justice to the CD community. They are show business product and just made to make money like any other movie.

Dawna Ellen Bays
06-23-2011, 06:15 AM
Thank you, I will look for "Just Like a Woman", sounds good. Has anyone seen the comedy show called "The Kids in the Hall"? It was produced by Lorne Michaels who created SNL. The cast of the show is 5 guys so they play the male and female roles, so they would dress up and do it well. They talked in interviews about how when they were portraying women, they made a point of not being the over the top drag queens, which is how it's usually done in comedy, but they acually took queues from their girlfriends, Sisters and Mothers about dressing and mannerisms. The guy that I think was the least attractive as a dude was the best looking girl when he was dolled up. He was backstage and the stagehands were checking him out, then he talked and they heard how deep his voice was and were like "oh s***!!"

I always thought Dave Foley looked nice as a woman on "Kids in the Hall." Check out this clip (especially at the 1:04 mark...he DOES look sorta like Zooey Deschanel, as one reply noted) (I hope video is allowed to be linked to this way):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXRb80xzimE

Zach Cregger of the "Whitest Kids U Know" comedy troupe/TV show is another one who makes a great-looking girl (and says in interviews that he "gets that a LOT"). I'd provide a link, but their humor may be a bit too harsh for some folks. I'd post a link, but their humor would be considered offensive to some.

Start here if you're interested... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxmCyU0kXjM)

(it's not a CD sketch, but it's probably my favorite of the whole series. There are links to loads of others there)

L'eggs n' heels
06-23-2011, 07:35 AM
I always thought Dave Foley looked nice as a woman on "Kids in the Hall." Check out this clip (especially at the 1:04 mark...he DOES look sorta like Zooey Deschanel, as one reply noted) (I hope video is allowed to be linked to this way):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXRb80xzimE

Zach Cregger of the "Whitest Kids U Know" comedy troupe/TV show is another one who makes a great-looking girl (and says in interviews that he "gets that a LOT"). I'd provide a link, but their humor may be a bit too harsh for some folks. I'd post a link, but their humor would be considered offensive to some.

Start here if you're interested... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxmCyU0kXjM)

(it's not a CD sketch, but it's probably my favorite of the whole series. There are links to loads of others there)

I like this, it would be cool if they had more male actors playing female roles somewhat realistically, I guess that's how it was in Shakespeare's time.

bomba
06-23-2011, 07:50 AM
the show that has distorted and perverted crossdreeing the most is jerry springer. the first thing my wife said to me when she found some of my makeup was "i know all about you crossdressing heshes i saw it on jerry sringer,its discussting".and if you ever saw jerry spring cover crossdressing you would agree.the guook like freaks and its all makebelieve. no reall crossdresser would dress up like a parody of a woman. a true crossdressers ultimate goal is to look so natural that you blend in unnoticed.i tyed to tell wife that but she won't listen

Jocelyn Quivers
06-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Another vote for "Just like a lady." An excellent portrayal and it was a movie that helped me very greatly towards self acceptance.

Karren H
06-23-2011, 08:39 AM
I have seen all of the movies in this thread except for Hedwig, and I feel not a single one has done any justice to the CD community. They are show business product and just made to make money like any other movie.

Yeah... Movies are made to 1)... Entertain and 2)... Make money... If it does both, then the best we can hope for is to not have a movie paint us as some kind of perverted sub-culture.. if a movie does that then its a good tg movie imho. Making a documentary on TG people that no one will see doesn't help us one bit..

Kate Lynn
06-23-2011, 08:53 AM
I don't know if there are any movies, but did you see that Adam Sandler is all over the news in a dress and makeup? I was laughing at work when I saw it on aol, and he's got a pair of 3 inch Mary janes and he is walking all over the set....how come he can walk in those heels???

Years of practice,thats how he can walk in them.

JamieG
06-23-2011, 12:09 PM

I've always heard about this movie, but could never find it. If anyone knows where to buy a (US player compatible) DVD, please let me know.

I always thought Dave Foley looked nice as a woman on "Kids in the Hall."

The KITH are simply awesome. I have all five seasons on DVD. My wife and I frequently repeat the jokes to each other. Dave Foley does make a pretty woman, its too bad that he vowed never to dress in drag again. I think his last time was a Halloween episode of "News Radio."

joanna4
06-23-2011, 01:15 PM
a tv show series in the UK "Moving On" portrayed a perfect example of your average young crossdresser in one of their episodes where Guy Burnet was one of the veteran crossdressers.

Frédérique
06-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Why is it that Crossdressers are never honestly portrayed in movies? If there are ever men wearing women's clothing in a movie, they are always over the top flamboyant drag queens (Priscilla Queen of the Desert, To Wong Fu, etc.) and almost always gay. They never make a movie about a guy who is straight, possibly married, and without psychological problems, who likes to dress up.

I would recommend Ed Wood, where the title character, a real-life transvestite, reveals a more realistic “take” on crossdressing. I’m not sure Ed was without “psychological problems,” though, but you can judge him (by way of the actor’s portrayal) for yourself…
:straightface:

I wouldn’t expect a film about crossdressing to be financially advantageous in any shape or form, regardless of any meaningful story contained therein. Show business is mainly concerned with profits, as you say, and any “message” inherent in a movie is a purely a secondary consideration for critics to chew over – awards, along with critical acclaim, may be generated, but the general public will be kept in the dark about certain things they really need to see and understand…

I recall going to see Ma vie en rose during its brief run at an art house theater in Cambridge, MA in 1998. I made the effort to go see it because I dearly wanted to see it…alone. When I reached my destination I entered a world I was largely unaware of – the film in question had won awards at prestigious gay film festivals, according to the large poster I saw. I felt happy to see something I wasn’t meant to see, and the experience transformed me in many ways. I felt different afterwards, mainly because I had made a connection with the somewhat positive crossdressing world I knew was out there, but hidden from view as much as society can get away with. This film is still my favorite crossdressing movie, even though it is less about crossdressing and more about a gay boy trying to express his homosexuality by way of CD'ing, much to the consternation of his uninformed parents...

Alice Torn
06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
The early 1950's movie, "Glen or Glenda" was ok.

BillieJoEllen
06-23-2011, 03:25 PM
About ten years ago there was a TV show about crossdressing. I can't remember the name but it didn't last long at all. Maybe two or three episodes. Then there was the book made into a movie about 35 years ago. It was called 'I Want What I Want', starring Anne Heywood. It was about a young man discovered CDing by his father (Harry Andrews). He left home with the intention of becoming Wendy, which he/she did. Of course it involved all the trials and tribulations of a TG person.

Cassidy
06-23-2011, 06:12 PM
I believe it is available on Netflix and Blockbuster and I think if one were to go to LogoTv.com it might be there. It is a Showtime documentary titled Lady or Gentleman. It is narrated by RuPaul (she is quite good with regard to the narration) and the documentary deals with how Hollywood views and addresses cross-dressing. It not only deals with MtF but also FtM. Believe it or not an opinion expressed in the documentary cites the movie Psycho as a pivot point changing the way cross-dressing was viewed going foreward.

The movie 'The World's Fastest Indian' has bits in it with a cross-dressing/TG character and one doesn't have to be a lover/fancier of motorcycles to enjoy it.

While I'm on the subject of movies and pivotal points and motorcycles the movie that changed the general public's view toward motorcyclists stared Marlon Brando and was titled 'The Wild One.' Lee Marvin stared in it too.

Fab Karen
06-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Just because the character isn't hetero/isn't married doesn't mean it isn't "honestly" portrayed.

L'eggs n' heels
06-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Just because the character isn't hetero/isn't married doesn't mean it isn't "honestly" portrayed.

This is true, however I get the feeling that are a lot more straight crossdressers than there are drag queens, most drag queens are celebrities or performers of some kind. Nothing against drag queens by the way, I would just like to more honesty in TV and movies. Entertainment out of Hollywood has three purposes, the two mentioned earlier (entertaining and making money), but it is also there to shape public opinion and control how people think.

Fab Karen
06-23-2011, 07:03 PM
There's no scientific study to show a majority either way. "Drag queens" are performers- that's different from not being hetero. Breakfast on Pluto for example is noteworthy, though not heterosexual.

L'eggs n' heels
06-23-2011, 07:08 PM
There's no scientific study to show a majority either way. "Drag queens" are performers- that's different from not being hetero. Breakfast on Pluto for example is noteworthy, though not heterosexual.

This may be true, I think the point I'm trying to make is that Hollywood tries to make people think that a guy who wears women's clothing is gay, and yes, there are exceptions to the rule, but those movies are few and far between. Nothing against gays either, one of my best friends is a gay guy I knew since junior high school, I didn't know he was gay then, to be honest I don't think he even knew.

Eryn
06-23-2011, 07:30 PM
the show that has distorted and perverted crossdreeing the most is jerry springer. the first thing my wife said to me when she found some of my makeup was "i know all about you crossdressing heshes i saw it on jerry sringer,its discussting".

If your wife is mistaking Jerry Springer for a reliable information source I suggest that you throw your TV away. It isn't doing her any good.

One movie that shows a reasonably good view of a crossdresser is "The World's Fastest Indian." The TG character isn't central to the plot, but she is one of the characters that befriend the main character. No negative portrayal there!

PretzelGirl
06-24-2011, 11:38 AM
I would recommend Ed Wood, where the title character, a real-life transvestite, reveals a more realistic “take” on crossdressing. I’m not sure Ed was without “psychological problems,” though, but you can judge him (by way of the actor’s portrayal) for yourself….

Available on Hulu for free:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/242017/ed-wood

Some of the other movies here might be also, but I'm not going to search them all out.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Ed Wood is one of my favorite movies of all time. Not just because Ed is a transvestite, but because the movie is just great in general, it has a lot of funny lines, and Johnny Depp's portrayal of Ed is so endearing, plus Tim Burton did an excellent job of recreating the cinematic style of a 50' B-Movie. Ed himself made a fairly honest portrayal of life as a crossdresser, a film called "Glen or Glenda" mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's a terribly made film. The "Ed Wood" movie deals at one point with the making of it, but Wood was working on such a small budget that he actually has scenes that are just people doing voice over with stock footage running.

For me, I don't feel like in general the issue of crossdressing in movies is really a "gay vs. straight," thing, as much as it is, that most movies that do feature a heterosexual male dressing as a woman, not only is it for comedic value, but there's always got to be a reason why he's doing it. From "Some Like It Hot" to "Tootsie" to "Mrs. Doubtfire" to "Sorority Boys" to "Big Momma's House" to... well you get the point. It's rarely ok for a guy to just "like" to crossdress in a movie.

silhouette
06-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Sorry if there is already a thread on this subject, if there is hopefully a mod can direct me there or merge this with it.

Anyone else notice this? I don't even go to the movies anymore, Hollywood disgusts me.

Maybe you haven't noticed that because you don't go to enough movies.
Stardust is the most recent one I saw.. robert deniro liked to dress up in private but it was only a small piece of his character and it didn't define him

Also what about boondock saints? Although I'll admit willam defoes character was gay, it's not like he was flamboyant or way over the top

Sheren Kelly
06-24-2011, 04:39 PM
I think if you do a search the topic has come up recently (and often).
The thing I detest about Hollywood is the formulatic approach to drama. I find most major production movies overtly commercial and predictable. I prefer independent and foreign films.

I would like to add "Breakfast on Pluto" and "Ma Vie en Rose" to the list of favorites on this subject.

celeste26
06-24-2011, 04:52 PM
The movie "I Want What I Want" was terribly depressing. I saw it when it opened so long ago and have a DVD of it now.

Joann Smith
06-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Juwanna Mann (2002) was pretty good ..was suppose to be a comedy .. but it kinda blew up in the actors face ....because he turned out to be a pretty good looking chick ...so it took some of the funny out of it

Joann

Jess Marie
06-25-2011, 01:52 AM
This was really funny to me. I know it is not a positive persona of a cross dresser, but it is still pretty funny. If you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at anyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSXLSD2GbyY

Audrey34
06-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Once in a while at my CD support group they'll show a movie or two. I got to see "Just Like A Woman" and "Breakfast On Pluto" earlier this year and I liked them both although I kind of favor "Just Like A Woman" a bit more.
-Audrey

TGMarla
06-25-2011, 11:12 AM
I've seen many of these. And one of the problems you run into when making a movie about crossdressing is that there needs to be some kind of events to move the plot along, or you completely lose the audience. In The Crying Game, we had a very passable transgendered character, but gay and involved with a man. It was very well-handled and respectful, but this person was actually living as a woman, and was transitioning. She may have been a non-op transexual, but most of us don't transition. In Just Like a Woman, the crossdresser takes on corporate intrigue and takes down a company mogul. Interesting, but not altogether realistic. But it did address some everyday activities many of us can relate to. Hedwig was an entertainer, and very disturbed about her transgender issues. Normal involved a male to female transexual, and handled the situation very respectfully, but this guy's life did fall apart around him as a result of his desire to transition.

But most of us are just average Josephines who go about our daily lives and never get involved in any really monumental activities related to our crossdressing. We'd make for some lousy and boring movie plots. It would be nice to have a secondary character here or there who was a successful guy with a wife and maybe some kids, who just happens to also be a crossdresser. No comedic shots at him, no over the top stupidity...just presenting crossdressing for what it is most of the time: simple female emulation.

flatlander_48
06-25-2011, 06:52 PM

I have not seen Soroity Boys, but the other 3 did not actually involve crossdressers. They involved man who were crossdressing as a means to an end. Dustin Hoffman was an out of work actor. Robin Williams was trying to be near his kids after a divorce. Hanks and Scolari were desparate for a relatively inexpensive place to live in NYC, as I remember. They were NOT crossdressers to begin with.

flatlander_48
06-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Juwanna Mann (2002) was pretty good ..was suppose to be a comedy .. but it kinda blew up in the actors face ....because he turned out to be a pretty good looking chick ...so it took some of the funny out of it

Joann

I remember that discussion about "...does size matter?". The home girls got that straightened out in a hurry!

dana 1
06-25-2011, 07:04 PM
normal starring jessica lange is a great transgender movie, netflix has it

L'eggs n' heels
06-25-2011, 08:53 PM
I actually saw "Ed Wood" and liked it. At first he was with a chick who was weirded out by his dressing up, then he hooked up with a girl who was fine with it. I liked that. I never saw "Glen or Glenda", just those few segments that were in Ed Wood.

NathalieX66
06-25-2011, 09:00 PM
I always thought that Some Like It Hot with Jack Lemmon & Tony Curtis, and Marilyn Monroe had such an undertow of gay or transgender, but this was the 1950's and Hollywood could only go so far.

Don't forget Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire.

The Belgian/French film Ma Vie En Rose is about a 9 year old boy who is transgender....that's the closest I've seen of any film that grapples with being transgender.

L'eggs n' heels
06-25-2011, 09:04 PM
I always thought that Some Like It Hot with Jack Lemmon & Tony Curtis, and Marilyn Monroe had such an undertow of gay or transgender, but this was the 1950's and Hollywood could only go so far.

The Belgian/French film Ma Vie En Rose is about a 9 year old boy who is transgender.

I saw that many years ago when I was a kid. One part I remember that made me laugh was when Jack Lemmon says, "Wait, hold on a second, one of my 'chests' came off!!"

silhouette
06-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Some like it hot is the only movie i've seen with monroe. I liked it. Thought it was funny. Didn't think it had gay undertones.
Also the movie "white chicks" kinda reminded me of some like it hot. the part where damon waynes dresses up like a man and meets the girl out on the beach.. happens in both movies.

Brenn
06-26-2011, 08:33 AM
The Drew Cary Show had his brother as a crossdresser and although I don't recall they ever showed him crossdressed, it was referenced in a positive light.

Sedona
06-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Another recommend for Ed Wood. While it wasn't a huge part of the plot, I thought it was treated with respect, and realism. One of his ladies rejected Ed's CDing, the other was fine with it, and it was an afterthought in their relationship. And, whenever friends of mine talk about the movie, it's always in the context of "wasn't he the guy who made those terrible movies?" not "wasn't he the crossdressing director?" Refreshing for a change.

Intertwined
06-26-2011, 09:18 AM
There is a scene in the movie " Kinky Boots " between " Lola " & " Mrs. Cobb " (Mrs. Cobb is the elderly house keeper) that makes this my favorite movie to date, but, I have not seen " Just Like A Woman "

Intertwined
06-26-2011, 09:42 AM
There is a scene in the movie " Kinky Boots " between " Lola " & " Mrs. Cobb " (Mrs. Cobb is the elderly house keeper) that makes this my favorite movie to date, but, I have not seen " Just Like A Woman "

I wish I could find a video clip of that scene, this is a clip from near the end of the end of the movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_shp6h0gmRw

Sometimes Steffi
06-26-2011, 11:21 AM
In the early 90's there was this TV show "Sisters"

One of the story lines was that Alex's (i.e., Alexandra's) husband was a crossdresser.

Alex discovered that her husband (Wade) was renting a room at this hotel once a week. She assumed he was having an affair, so she followed him one day. She peeked through the keyhole (OK Hollywood) and saw what she thought was a woman in pantyhose in the room. When she entered the room, she discovered that the woman in pantyhose was her crossdressed husband. He had been regularly going to the hotel for some private time.

In a subsequent episode, she was shopping with him at a lingerie store, and picked out a very flamboyant robe for herself and a matching one for him. He really wanted something much more practical, and she was upset that he didn't want what she had picked out for him.

Wade was my hero. The first time I'd ever heard of anyone being a crossdresser who wasn't gay, a drag queen, or forced.

KandisTX
06-26-2011, 12:10 PM
The Drew Cary Show had his brother as a crossdresser and although I don't recall they ever showed him crossdressed, it was referenced in a positive light.

They showed Drew's brother "Steve" crossdressed quite a few times, and it was definitely referred to postively. He even went on a date with Mimi while partially dressed, and they eventually ended up getting married.

Sarah Doepner
06-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Maybe you haven't noticed that because you don't go to enough movies.
Stardust is the most recent one I saw.. robert deniro liked to dress up in private but it was only a small piece of his character and it didn't define him

The part of Stardust I liked the most was when it's revealed that the rough and tough crew already knew about their captain's dressing, they still respected him.

Fab Karen
06-26-2011, 06:39 PM
The topic is movies.

If you liked the Stardust story, Neil Gaiman is the writer.

L'eggs n' heels
06-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Saw this once years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mnrwmmhkCI&feature=autoplay&list=PLF820ED9975E1911D&index=3&playnext=2

...I thought the movie was OK but a little disturbing with the whole botched sex change operation, a funny movie though. I really like this one scene at around 2:20 when the Axl Rose looking guy goes through the transformation. Kind of how I feel right now.

KandisTX
06-26-2011, 10:26 PM
While not technically a movie about a crossdresser, "Some Like It Hot" with Marylin Monroe, Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis was a good light for crossdressers. :)

xcdmargo
06-27-2011, 06:58 AM
"Better Than Chocolate" I really liked that movie

Valerie1973
06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
I watched the whole film Just Like a Woman on Youtube. It can be found at Amazon.You'd think they would show these movies on LOGO, but never. One of the Golden Girls episodes (cant remember what character) son was a crossdresser and supposedly had a heart attack trying on a dress because hes was overweight. There was a movie back in the '80's "Angel" the story was she was a high school girl by day and walked the streets of L.A. at night. She had a friend that watched out for her that was a crossdresser. There is one more you might be interested in. "Girls will be girls". It's not about crossdressing but nonetheless stars Jack Pltnick, Clinton Leupp who's characters are women.

Samantha W
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I know its not a movie, but for those of you with Netflix, there is an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam jumps into a woman. Scott Bakula is in drag the whole show and not a single crossdresser joke.

Season 2 (1989) Episode 4, “What Price Gloria?”

Engendered
06-27-2011, 05:13 PM
I can confirm that "Just like a woman" in on youtube. Part one is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC7Rg43ySxQ

Going to watch it now.

Edit: Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Fab Karen
06-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Saw this once years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mnrwmmhkCI&feature=autoplay&list=PLF820ED9975E1911D&index=3&playnext=2

...I thought the movie was OK but a little disturbing with the whole botched sex change operation, a funny movie though. I really like this one scene at around 2:20 when the Axl Rose looking guy goes through the transformation. Kind of how I feel right now.

Hedwig. John C. Mitchell said the character was loosely inspired by a prostitute who lived in a trailer outside a military base where he had lived as a kid. The guy in the band playing keyboards is the one who wrote the songs. It started as a stage play & was later done as a movie.

BobbieJoe
06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blagKZ_vGUY

Freebie and the bean from 1974

Billie Jean
06-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I remember that show. Swoosy Curtz was Alex. I remember that episode. Thanks for curing my CRS (can't remember sh*t). Billie Jean

L'eggs n' heels
06-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I can confirm that "Just like a woman" in on youtube. Part one is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC7Rg43ySxQ

Going to watch it now.

Edit: Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Just watched the whole thing and WOW, what a movie. The "main plot" about white collar criminals was kind of boring and mainstream, but the "subplot" about a young CD and a sympathetic middle aged woman was profound. I have many things to say and I need to watch this movie a dozen more times.

I get up at 5 in the morning and I need to rest, but wow, what a movie.

PS_ It is rare that I can sit through a movie these days, but this one actually held my attention.

Watched this movie in 80s metal femme. Hose, heels, denim skirt and a black rock T-shirt.

t-girlxsophie
06-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Anything that has Julie Walters in is eminently watchable,And I have to say "Just Like a Woman" is a great Movie,with a sensitive portrayal of the Crossdresser in the film.

Years ago There was a small,Independent Scottish movie called "That sinking feeling" about a gang of tearaways who planned the perfect crime,while dressed as girls,one of the lads finds he likes it and there's some funny scenes between him and his girlfriend,god knows where I would find it now.

Sophie

vanessahiggins
07-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Love Dave Foley as a woman too.

Barbara Jo
08-15-2011, 12:49 PM
I just got an Ed Wood, 6 DVD compliation set (called "The ED Wood Box") via eBay.
While I saw a couple of ED Wood movies in the past, I had nevert seen "Glen or Glenda".

After watching "G or G", I have to say for a CD, Ed Wood presented the subject a bit darkly and even erroneously at times.
For one thing, he presented a CD as having it's roots in upbringing and could possibly be cured.
The needless addition of Bela Lugosi is ponitless and only serves to add a very dark element to CDing
It is a si-fi movie or a CD movie??
It is definately Wood's worst movie......... after all, it was his first I believe.

The rest of his movies are also bad of course....... so bad that they are actually humorous in a "campy" way. :)

Having said all that.......
The set also includes a doumentry called "The Haunted World of Ed Wood Jr" which is very good. It contains interviews with the people who knew him well.
They all said that Ed was always a very happy, friendy individual who was just driven to make movies the only way he could, or wanted to.
They also said the Ed never really cared what people thought of him and never attemted to make himsef appear completely feminine when "dressed".
His philosophy about movies was people just want to be entertained and will readily suspend reality in their own minds.
That philosophy seems to have carried over to his CDing.

So, the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie seems to be a fairly accurate portrayal of Wood's movie making, and his life.

victoriamwilliams1
08-15-2011, 01:16 PM
The answer is simple: They cannot sell a true image of a crossdresser and I hope that one day Lana Wachowski and her brother would do a movie show us in a postive none over the top way.

I do know a few Hollywood actors personally and one told me that the goal of holloywood is to put every male in a dress and make crossdresser be over the top.

It is a problem and I think there is a new show that will make us look worst!

Vickie_CDTV
08-15-2011, 07:13 PM
On the Golden Girls, Sophia's son "Phil" (a rib at Phil Donahue, who regularly featured trans folks on his show at the time?) was a TV. It is referenced in a number of episodes, ending with his death and Sophia trying to come to terms with her guilt over his dressing. He was never actually shown in any episode.

A friend who was in television at the time claimed that Tri-Ess was a technical consultant for the episode with Phil's funeral, and also for a number of other 80s shows featuring one-off TV characters (I'd love to know for certain if this was true.)

wino_tg_girl
08-16-2011, 01:21 AM

I just about gave up finding this (it isn't on Netflix). By reading the comments on IMDB, I found out some kind person put a really good copy on youtube (decent 480p). Apparently it's OK with the producers because it's no longer in print. You can find it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0K6YcLH1D0

Also, you can download the "FLV" files using Firefox and the "video download helper" add on. Once you have downloaded the 9 parts from youtube, you can make a DVD by following these easy instructions http://lifehacker.com/232322/hack-attack-burn-almost-any-video-file-to-a-playable-dvd
Worked for me!

Kathy4ever
08-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Hollywood will make movies and shows to make money. Not really sure butssems to me all minorities are always being shown in a negative light and then a few years later hollywood will produce shows or movies of the minority in a positive light. As I look at things we should be next to be shown in a positive light. We can only hope!!

Ashlee
08-16-2011, 06:10 AM
I always remember this from the early 80's, not a movie however but man this guy was a good TG actor(ress). I wonder what he's up to today.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77lzeZFe4D4"[/URL]

Tina B.
08-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Glen or Glenda, that is Ed Wood, I own Mia vin rose, and I think it is one of the best at looking at being a transgendered kid, it has a fantasy element to it, but very good on how the family reacts, and how they learn to live with it. I feel any movie about trans people that does not have us killing anyone, or robbing anything, or trying to get laid by a Straight man without being honest with him. well just about anything else at least shows that we are at least out here. As far as showing us as we really are, I doubt that many of us are doing anything that would make a movie that interesting. Just going to work, hanging with the family, and putting on a dress and going to a club is just not enough to keep anyone watching for 2 hours, At best you would get the guy next door in a dress, and that's would just be weird.
Tina B.