PDA

View Full Version : Cancer visit surprise

marny
06-23-2011, 11:07 PM
I went to the cancer clinic thinking it was an interview and information. doctor says can you take off your clothes and put on the gown. I have to examine you. OOPS! As he looks down my shaved legs and looks at my toes he turns to me and says " Are your toes painted?" i say 'yes' ..and my dear wife chirps up from the corner and tries to blame my toes on the kids from the cottage. Then he felt for lymph nodes in my armpits( shaved) and around my groin (silk panties always). I'm sure he got he drift. I'm not sure if it is new to him. he seemed young. Doctors see so much these days they can't keep track . You have to take care of you

Niya W
06-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Takes a deep breath, sips her wine. You know based on the title I thought it was goingto be some thing bad . I had nurse change my files from m to f after he saw my nails and make up and asked if I was on hormones .

Leslie Langford
06-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Glad to hear that there was no bad news involved here as well, marny.

But the best part is that your wife had your back with the painted toenails. How cool is that?! :thumbsup: ;)

Jamie001
06-24-2011, 12:09 AM
I have said this many times, but I will say it again. We need to stop making excuses about things like painted toenails, shaved legs, panties, etc. The answer regarding painted toes, shaved legs, or panties should simple be "I like them that way". Don't make lame excuses. Stand-up for yourself and admit that you like these things. It is not illegal. Why do we make such a big deal out of it that we need to lie? The doctor should not have even asked you about the painted toes because it certainly has nothing to do with your medical condition. His inquiry was totally out-of-line.

Glad to hear that there was no bad news involved here as well, marny.

But the best part is that your wife had your back with the painted toenails. How cool is that?! :thumbsup: ;)

makin' it real
06-24-2011, 01:21 AM
We need to stop making excuses about things like painted toenails, shaved legs, panties, etc. The answer regarding painted toes, shaved legs, or panties should simple be "I like them that way". Don't make lame excuses. Stand-up for yourself and admit that you like these things.

Jamie, I hear you on this, and I agree. Yet, even though I think I've accepted at least almost all of who I am, I still slipped on a pair of shoes to cover my painted toes when my landlord came round this afternoon, and gave a quick assessing glance around to make sure no obviously feminine clothes were strewn about when I realized she wanted to come in to check out my new refrigerator. My neighbors know I dress, having seen me in one or another of my bikinis. My friends all know I CD, as do some of my coworkers. But there are still some people who don't yet know, and who I am not yet ready to come out to. I would tend to think I wouldn't stress about a doctor knowing, as in the OP, but I don't know all that was involved during Marny's visit. I wish it were so that we could dress as we wish with no repercussions, but that is not always the case.

Hey, Marny. Glad there was no bad news. Sounds like the visit and the exam were still quite a surprise for you though. You can hold your head up, even if it was the doc's first time, because you helped in his education of how to be with patients. I don't imagine he'll be quite as awkward next time he has to examine one of us.

Loni
06-24-2011, 02:58 AM
good to hear that there is nothing to get cut out,
i had part of me cut out last aug. it would have been grand if only the Dr saw me in silk.
double think any Dr who wants to just cut away.

Loni

marny
06-24-2011, 06:44 AM
This exam came after the third time they cut the beast out, Good news is the pathology came back negative. More tests pending. As to my wifes response, that was for her comfort, I am past worrying about it.
when he asked if my toes were painted I looked at him and said 'yes'. How hard is that? :brolleyes:

Annie D
06-24-2011, 07:28 AM
If the doctor was young and you are the first, then you made it easier for the next CD he has the chance to examine. I know that medical professionals have a code of ethics but we all have to believe that over drinks or during leisure time there are discussions about unusual patients; not necessarily names but unusual, like: "today I examined my first patient with an extended tail bone, I wonder why they didn't cut it off at birth?" Don't worry about it, your name won't be circulated in medical journals.

deebra
06-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Jamie001, what you said was right-on. In our society if it's new it's rejected but as society sees more and more of it, it becomes the norm and they accept it. If society saw more males dressing in fem clothing they would become acustom to it and they would accept it just as they have from the young generation and the way they have shocked the older generation and then what they rejected became fashion and most everybody gravitated to it. Elvis and the Beatles with their clothing and long hair are examples. Women want men to be more sensitive, intimate, caring, less John Wayne and James Cagney, so why can't males be accepted for liking the softer colorful clothing females have a monopoly on? Jamie's statement that I wear it because I like it says it all, it's nobodys else's business what an individual wears and they should not be critical. Designers, manufacturers, fashion and the media tells society what to wear and they follow and comply like mindless bodies. Now a lot of women will wear what they want and they are confident enough to do so and society has accepted women doing this. One problem I see as far as acceptance is the macho,red neck male, they have to be tough, mouthy, intiminating and a real ahole. For the brave cd's like Marney, I applaude you!

Jamsey
09-11-2011, 11:10 PM
A couple of doctor visits ago, actually years ago, during a physical, I asked the doctor why he was looking at my finger nails and toe nails. They were not painted. He said he always looks at patients nails, that they are indicators for possible illnesses or physical problems. Such as: Fungus, what is the plural of fungus?, me (mee?) lines, ridges, ingrown toe nails, etc? My nails were nice and normal, that is why I was wondering. I didn't think much of it until your post.

sandra-leigh
09-11-2011, 11:34 PM
what is the plural of fungus?

Fungi, or funguses (less common)

JulieK1980
09-12-2011, 07:21 AM
On the rare occasion that I get asked about my shaved legs, I go on in extreme depth and detail about an accident in the Navy and high dose exposure to ionizing radiation. I continue rambling about this until they yawn, after that I stop and say it's because I prefer my legs shaved.

Diane Elizabeth
09-12-2011, 07:26 AM
If a Dr sees my toe nails painted and then asks if they are painted, then I am not too sure I want him as my Dr. Not if he has to ask an obvious question like that. Then again, maybe he never saw toes painted before, I guess. Just kidding. I am sure he has doesn't question you if he feels a lump in the nodes. "Is that a lump you have?" May your Dr have many a male customer visit him that wear their toe painted.

KylieA
09-12-2011, 09:07 AM
After my bypass, I went to cardiac rehab. Basically exercise with electrodes stuck to our chests 3 days a week. They suggested shaving to help them stick. So I had "Doctor's orders" excuse for shaving my chest.

Lorileah
09-12-2011, 10:20 AM
I only wonder what color you had that made the doctor ask if they were painted, was he that unobservant? As far as I know there is no disease process that causes your nails to be pink, red, blue, orange. Now yellow or black...maybe.

Glad things are OK as of now. Your post points out something else, life is short, there is no reason to not be happy with who you are and things like shaved legs and painted toes are not any thing that effects the world as a whole. Stay healthy

Sarah Doepner
09-12-2011, 10:32 AM
This exam came after the third time they cut the beast out, Good news is the pathology came back negative. More tests pending. As to my wifes response, that was for her comfort, I am past worrying about it.
when he asked if my toes were painted I looked at him and said 'yes'. How hard is that? :brolleyes:

You could have told the Doc "No that's the natural color on my nails. Is something wrong?" Just to see if he's paying attention. Glad to hear your medical news is positive, we really hate cancer in my house.

Chickhe
09-12-2011, 10:43 AM
We need to think up a manly response when presenting as a male and showing female characteristics... 'In a deep voice: Yes, Yes they are, Ahem, I just like the way they shade matches the deep red shade of my craftsman tool chest'. Or, 'yes, and man is it hard to keep them nice looking...I was working on the car and broke on the other day...'. Or, yes, they are, do you like the shade? I was going to go darker...'

sandra-leigh
09-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I only wonder what color you had that made the doctor ask if they were painted, was he that unobservant? As far as I know there is no disease process that causes your nails to be pink, red, blue, orange. Now yellow or black...maybe.

Blues and purples could be due to accidents such as dropping something on your toes.

According to http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50481 various colors can indicate various medical conditions. White, half-pink, yellowish, red, pale -- all can indicate significant problems.

Kittyagain
09-12-2011, 11:34 AM
My doctor looks at my fingernails for normal color. Toe hair for blood flow to the legs. They are keys to look further if he sees something from the norm.

The first time I saw him with a shaved breast, it bothered me not anymore. I just make sure I shave that day. My simple answer, I don't like like on my chest.

Kitty

Lorileah
09-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Blues and purples could be due to accidents such as dropping something on your toes.

According to http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50481 various colors can indicate various medical conditions. White, half-pink, yellowish, red, pale -- all can indicate significant problems.

The nails themselves would not turn red or purple or even black, if this doctor could not see that the nail was actually painted I would wonder to his observation skills. Nails can have a yellow tinge from fungus, thickening from damage to the nail bed, striations from metabolic or hormonal or chemical changes (arsenic is a good one). But the actual hue of the nail won't be those colors.

CaitlynRenee
09-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Takes a deep breath, sips her wine. You know based on the title I thought it was goingto be some thing bad . I had nurse change my files from m to f after he saw my nails and make up and asked if I was on hormones .

Painted my toes for years....Ever since my daughter did it first while I was dog a$$-tired and sleeping from working two 16 hour shifts with the Sheriff's Dept. Don't think anything about color anymore.

Now as to the change from M to F on medical records.......Never had to worry about it.

I ALWAYS marked 'F' Used to think it stood for ...............FREQUENTLY! :D :heehee:

Jackiefl
09-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I go to my urologist dressed all the time. i had bladder cancer been ok for the last 2 yrs. I have to go back every 4 months for an exam so far everything ok. The first time the doctor saw me he said you look different maybe taller lol. All his staff are so nice and very professional.