PDA

View Full Version : A Soccer Mom Attends Her First Trans Pride Event

Debglam
06-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Well I have had another life experience I feel like sharing. . . I was OUT in public dressed as Debby for the first time. Not coming and going from a specific location but out on the street, shopping, etc.

This month, my local TG group was not having any events because they spend this whole weekend participating in San Francisco Pride. With no privacy at home given the kid’s schedules, meeting up with them in SF was my only option to get out this month. I discussed this with my wife and a day trip or two to meet the group down there, about two hours away, seemed the best answer. While this was a big step out of my comfort zone it was also one for my wife as well. While she had no problem with the trip per se, I asked her for some much needed clothing advice and this was a bit of a reach for her. While it would have been completely alright for her to say that she didn’t want to, I was tickled by the help she provided. Given my limited wardrobe, she gave me a top to wear. Her comment on the completed outfit (denim jacket, black knit top, khaki capris, & strap toe sandals) was “you really dress like a soccer mom.” I guess at my age, that is the goal! As usual, she ran interference so I could get out of the house.

The drive down was uneventful however hitting SF at Friday rush hour is always interesting. Parked in a garage and called one of my girlfriends staying at the hotel. She was heading out for some shopping so I met her on the street, about three blocks away. Walking the street by myself and then meeting up with D and browsing Ross was also uneventful, albeit surreal. I don’t think there was any sort of attention paid to us in the Friday afternoon insanity. We then went to the hotel to meet the rest of the girls and had a drink at the bar.

After the meet-up, we took BART to the station nearest the rally/march start and hit the streets. A pretty rough area and I have to admit I would have been uncomfortable walking around there dressed in my toughest guy clothes! We hit the park and another page is turned. . .

I am a pretty vanilla person, in either guy or girl mode, so the scene at this park was something to behold. Here I am with a bunch of nicely dressed girls – age and situation appropriate – and realize that “I’m not in Kansas anymore.” :eek:

A sea of people. There were women – GG & trans. IMHO, the transwomen were the most tastefully and stylishly dressed. I did get to meet Niya from the forum in person – yay! Sorry I didn't get to meet more of you out there.

There were MTF, FTM, and everyone gloriously(!) in-between! There were bare breasts. There was more skin than clothes. There were all the colors under the rainbow. There were ages ranging from teens to seniors. Being San Francisco, there were plenty of “interesting” characters, trans or not. The kids trying to sell me pot brownies did make me kind of sad.

The march was pretty well attended, although cold & windy. Nice crowds of smiling people along the route, including some business folks “trapped” by the event. The Latina contingent was absolutely awesome! How they did the whole march in those shoes – Ay, la belleza es tan doloroso! :battingeyelashes: Some scowls by some of the SFPD working the route but there WAS some police bashing by the speakers and who the hell wants to be working Friday evening. The march ended and we started to work our way to a restaurant by the hotel.

As we got further and further from the end of the march, the reactions changed. First, as a group we were clearly being read. Mostly head turns and an occasional comment mostly neutral or friendly. I did hear one “bunch of fags” comment from a guy I am certain I could have laid flat with one punch. Not worth it and certainly didn’t spoil the fun! Dinner was pleasant however one of the waiters kept calling us “guys” and a group of lesbians came and sat adjacent to us. Someone said “hi” and the response was “hi fellas.” A jab maybe?

Anyway, a very nice, and eye-opening evening. Trip back was relatively uneventful until I had to stop for gas around midnight at “redneck junction.” No problems ensued but I was probably more uncomfortable waiting for that tank to fill than I was at anytime during the evening! It’s funny because a basic safety/crime prevention technique is to have a "presence." Make eye contact and exude confidence. Well all I could do was stare at that damn gas nozzle and try and crawl inside myself with all of the hootin’ and hollerin’ going on in the lot! I’m imagining that maybe this is something like what a GG must feel unless her name is Sheena, Warrior Princess. Another lesson. . .

If nothing else - this stuff certainly makes life interesting!

Marcia Polari
06-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Hi Debglam

Very exciting experience.
It reminded me of my LA experience one year ago, when i drove back and forth some 400 miles in a single weekend, going different funny places.
Hugs honey

Cynthia Anne
06-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Wow WHAT A WAY TO SPEND YOUR FIRST TIME OUT! Sounds as though you enjoyed it! I'm hapy for you!

RachelOKC
06-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Congratulations on your first time "OUT" out Deb. There's hardly a better or safer place than amongst a few thousand other transpeople.

I was there also along with my wife and my two year old son. It was nice to run into so many friends and acquaintances including a few people whom I haven't seen in the better part of a decade. I'm not sure how many people from this forum were there, but I'm sure it was more than just me, Deb, and Niya.

It seemed like the rally and march was considerably bigger this year than last year, but the much nicer weather may have had something to do with that. Of course, "nicer weather" is relative in San Francisco. Mark Twain supposedly once said, "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." :D

I *love* being at Trans March because it is one of the most affirming events any transperson could ever go to. You're in a place where there are thousands of other people who are all there for little more than to support each other and to show the would that we're trans, we have a right to be ourselves, and we're not going away. When you're marching, you can see and hear the support of the bystanders on the streets and watching out of windows. You also get a great sense of support with all of the honking horns of cars and the resultant cheer from the marchers. It makes you feel great knowing that there are other people in this world - lots of them - who really do want all people to be treated equally and respectfully.

I love the diversity of the rally and march. If you can't or won't show it here, hunny...you won't do it anywhere. Excepting the Pride Parade itself it's likely you'll never see such a broad spectrum of gender identity and expression. Yep, it's not for prudes, or the squeamish, or for those who like their gender to be based on 1 and 0. It's for people who can say with a smile: "We're here, we're trans, we're fabulous, don't f*** with us!"

Can't wait till next year...and looking forward to the parade tomorrow!

Fab Karen
06-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Congrats, nothing tastes as sweet as the fresh air of freedom. I've never been to S.F. Pride, so not sure about the "pretty rough area" comment. I would think it'd be close to the Castro, which is not what one would call a rough area.
The guy saying,"bunch of fags" is obviously new to the city, he better get used to it if he plans to stay. btw, on a tangent, bare breasts on females obviously they covered the nipples to be legal.

RachelOKC
06-25-2011, 06:50 PM
The 16th and Mission area (by the BART stop) is kinda rough and there's a fair bit of violence (including anti-trans) around the area. Then again, I worked on a couple blocks from there for several years and never had a problem. The worst I can recall was hearing a few catcalls when I was in girl mode.

The parade also goes up Market street and winds up at Civic Center right by the Tenderloin which is a crummy run down area and a favorite haunt of homeless people. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if that's where the fags remark came from. I've had plenty of indigents snarl insults of all kind here and there, but the people are usually pretty harmless and you just ignore what they're saying. It's the quiet ones you have to watch for. Welcome to city life.

Karen, it's not unusual to see full nudity at Pride events in the city so if Deb said bare breasts then she meant it. It's even more unusual when the naked person has a body you actually don't mind seeing naked. That burning feeling in your eyes isn't glitter getting in there... :)

Debglam
06-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Congrats, nothing tastes as sweet as the fresh air of freedom. I've never been to S.F. Pride, so not sure about the "pretty rough area" comment. I would think it'd be close to the Castro, which is not what one would call a rough area.
The guy saying,"bunch of fags" is obviously new to the city, he better get used to it if he plans to stay. btw, on a tangent, bare breasts on females obviously they covered the nipples to be legal.

I believe it was the 16th & Mission stop. Frankly, the area reminded me of the skidrow set from "Little Shop of Horrors"! Winos laying on the sidewalk, etc. .

The bare breasts were interesting. I didn't want to stare so I can't tell whether there were pasties or not. I also couldn't tell if this was a GG or GM either so. . . viva la difference!

Fab Karen
06-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Oh OK, so this TPride march is held in the Mission District then. Got it.
As for nudity, well here ( & most of America ) if a woman's nipples aren't covered in public view she's not legal. I haven't heard anything about S.F. making a new law about that, so I wonder. As for males exposing genitals, I highly doubt even S.F. has made that legal. Years ago you used to sometimes see some wild things late at night on the blvd. that weren't legal at WeHo's Halloween event, but that got cracked down on & you don't see such things anymore.

AllieSF
06-25-2011, 07:50 PM
What is enforced as not legal varies everywhere. Here in the SF Bay Area those lone rogue naked guys are part of the SF experience. There used to be "The Naked Guy" who would attend classes that way at the University of California Berkeley (better known as Bizerkeley!). I saw him one weekend walking down Telegraph Avenue wearing cowboy boots, an open denim button vest and a big smile on his face. Actually I saw him on one side of the street and then a while later on the other side. I have seen guys come into one of my favorite bars in the Castro with shoes, maybe a hat and a skimpy bikini bottom. I have talked with two of them. Then I would see them out in the street minus the the bikini bottom. Every year at the Pride parade I have seen the topless GG's and the occasional naked guy walking in the parade or watching from the sidelines. They later mingle with the tourists who are always asking to have their pics taken with them. The only thing these guys wear is shoes and maybe a hat. I hope they had on a lot of sun screen too. As said above, most of these people do not have the body to be showing off like that. But, then again, that is being narrow minded on my part since who am I to say what is better!

Why aren't these guys and girls arrested and required to cover up? Well, first it is truly part of the SF experience and when you consider that they expect an additional one million tourists in town to watch the parade and partake in the Pride festivities, you can understand the large positive economic impact that the Pride festivities generates for the overly liberal and underfunded City by the Bay.

Deb, congratulations on your new experience. I wish I could have been there last night. If you met Niyah, you most likely would have met me too, since I would probably have been with the same group thatshe was. I will be in SF tomorrow with some TS friends to watch the parade and then enjoy the festivities near the Civic Center. Look for me if you will be there. I will be the cute lady doing my best to blend in and enjoy the moment. You can't miss me!

Fab Karen
06-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Well, all I can say is, I have walked around S.F. ( not at Pride ) & not seen anyone naked. btw I think it's technically legal if you're wearing underwear ( bio-male ). For anyone who thinks that''s a good idea outside of that town ( maybe only at things like Pride though ), you're in for a rude awakening. Tons of people now participate in the Halloween night on the blvd., I'm sure it pumps more money into the town, but things like nudity ain't gonna fly anymore. btw just discussing laws, I'm not a prude, I've been to nude beaches & done the "when in Rome" thing.

PretzelGirl
06-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Sounds like a blast Deb and I'm glad you were able to get out. Events sure seem like they are always a good time, one way or another. I went to my first this year and will be back. We have one local who is very active and puts an entry into the parade every year and says (paraphrase) "marching in the parade is worth three years of therapy" which refers to all the cheering you get. Bonus points on this trip for being able to meet other members of this forum. And a big hug for your wife in understanding and giving you a hand in getting ready.
:bh:

The one thing I am sorry for is that there was police bashing. We should be extending our hands out to everyone and not swinging at them. Do these people think that hateful words don't stick in other people's minds?

Debglam
06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
I would add one more thing: If they have any kind of trans event like this in your community go check it out. I don't care how closeted you may be, scared, whatever. Go in DRAB, pretend you were lost, it doesn't matter. Take a look at this photo. (I am the adorable :brolleyes: blond in the middle, at least half of my head is!) Look how many trans people there are going back into the distance. I was in the middle of the march so picture that many more in front of me.

It is an AMAZING feeling to see that many of us, MTF, FTM, and everyone in-between out there! Alone? Hardly! As Sue said, "marching in the parade is worth three years of therapy" which refers to all the cheering you get." It is true!

Debby

RachelOKC
06-27-2011, 09:28 PM
I particularly like the "marching in the parade is worth three years of therapy" remark. I often feel that way about Pride and Trans March. I also felt that way about Southern Comfort conference too. On the flip side, it's very sad when it is all over. :(

Deb, keep scouring for pictures. No doubt there are some of you from the sidelines posted on Flickr. I've already found a few of me and friends.

t-girlxsophie
06-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Love the Pride Marches,have attended a few in Glasgow and Edinburgh in the past,have never felt as safe and secure as have done at such events (apart from time wore high heels,before discovering it was held in a wet field yuk!) have been on the majority of them with my Wife and my twin stepsons,we have all had great fun.

Sophie

Loni
06-28-2011, 12:34 AM
well debglam, maybe next year you can stay and do more. like be in the sunday parade with us gems.
it was a great weekend, and as for the stray words it is from those that are only trying to get a reaction out of you. ignore them.
and yes it is strange a guy can be completely naked but a woman must have one part and two spots covered up.

Debglam
06-28-2011, 05:34 AM
well debglam, maybe next year you can stay and do more. like be in the sunday parade with us gems.
it was a great weekend, and as for the stray words it is from those that are only trying to get a reaction out of you. ignore them.
and yes it is strange a guy can be completely naked but a woman must have one part and two spots covered up.

:D Hey Loni! Definitely the whole weekend next year! I thought that the Gems looked AWESOME in the Pride Parade!