PDA

View Full Version : question about BC

Abraxas
10-06-2005, 02:20 AM
Yeah, so... Lemme just jump right in. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience in this, or is in the medical field or anything and can help.

I have, like, really bad symptoms when I get my... erm... time of the month (I hate talking about this!): horrible cramps which leave me completely incapacitated for a couple of days, nausea, occasional vomiting, muscle pain, that kind of thing. But I don't get PMS! Thank God!
I take painkillers, but I have to take a lot (say, 800 mg Ibuprofin or 2 excedrin every 4-6 hours) or prescription strength and I'm worried they're doing damage to my stomach and stuff. Plus, they just don't help all that much (I've got a bad metabolism because I've got an underactive thyroid, so that could be why). And it doesn't help with the nausea or anything either.
So when my mum was at the doctor, she asked about me taking birth control of some sort. The doc said that it would probably help my symptoms (I was planning on the patch because I could never remember to take a pill every day).
But I was wondering if it would cause any other problems (not like typical symptoms), like if it might affect my male side or anything? Anybody have any experience with this? I don't want to be emasculated or anything lol
But then, I also don't want to be in an inordinate amount of pain a few days every month.
Who's got an opinion or any knowledge or experience in this field?

DonnaT
10-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I know it (pills) helped my daughter, but in this day and age, I'd say go with the patches. The dosage is so small that there's not enough fem hormones in them to affect your male side.

Stephanie Brooks
10-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Go see your gynecologist to get checked thoroughly. Something's clearly causing some trouble. It may be - and probably is - nothing serious, but you really want to be sure. If bc is mentioned, ask your gyn about the effects, and tell her any of your concerns. If you can't trust her, you ought to consider a different gyn.

If the results don't seem right or you're somehow not satisfied, try another doctor.

I know that's probably a bit of a bother, but you need to know for sure. It's your body.

Abraxas
10-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Yeah... I was thinking that. I just am nervous about seeing the gyno cos... well, ya know :)
I'm aware there could be some problems, as my mum has endometryosis and I've got problems with fybroid cysts, so I could have some in places I don't know about.
Other thing is we don't have insurance and can't really afford for a lot of tests to be done. Actually, we can't technically afford a simple doctor visit, so that's another obstacle. So I'll have to see about that.
Thanks folks :)

Stephanie Brooks
10-06-2005, 09:53 PM
:(

My wife had endo, sis-in-law has fybroids. They came to mind as possibilities. Still, if there's some way you can get a checkup, you'd help yourself in the long run.

Ibuprofin in large quantities is bad for you. Aspirin, when you've got your period, is likely going to agravate your situation by thinning the blood.

I know you're a guy, Abraxas, but your body still says girl. You might look to see if there are some women's groups in your area that can help you find some good health care at reduced cost. I looked at one of your web pages last night. You're pretty bright and cool! I'll bet if anyone can find a solution, you can.

Check the web, check the phone book, look in the newspaper, grocery store notices, church, school (especially if you're still in school or more likely recently graduated), et al. There's nothing wrong with doing that. Take care of yourself.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!

Abraxas
10-07-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm sure my parents can figure some way of getting me in to the doc. At least the patch would likely give me some relief of symptoms until I can get a full checkup or whatever. I'm overdue for a checkup anyway.
And I do really hate having to take so many painkillers, because I have to take them at least once a week anyway for a cyst in my leg that I can't afford to have removed, not to mention occasional headaches, muscle pains, joint pains (I have really bad joints cos I had HS Purpura as a kid-- the symptoms are similar to rheumatoid arthritis, and also affect the major organs), etc.
Yeargh. I'm too young to have all these health problems!

Abraxas
10-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks. What exactly does Jericho Root do? What's it used for?
Is it expensive?

KrazyKat
10-08-2005, 12:59 AM
Eddie, Don't they have Planned Parenthood or other women's clinics out there? Usually they base fees on income. Sounds like endo, the uterine tissue is moving into the muscle tissue, causes muscle spasms and all symptoms you mentioned. If you don't have pain at anyother time, that is. There's also PID, Pelvic Innflammatory Disease, which can be cleared up with antibodics and can be very serious if not treated. Please find out. The pain is disrupting your life and your a good person, you need your life!!
From personal experience, BC pills and pregnancy always made me feel like I was weighted down, tired and lethargic. I think I always had issues with thyroid or hormones or something. Everyone is different, however. Always had dust allergies so hard to motivate normally.
Goodtime Charlie