PDA

View Full Version : Transition: Reality is settling in....

ReneeT
06-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Trnasition for me is no longer a "someday"wish. 6 months of HRT and living essentialy full time have made this a reality. As such, i am thinking of the practicalities of life after completing this journey. Employment is certainly high onthat list. I currently have a VERY good job that pays far too much, but i also have a very public role in my company. I don't think i will be able to maintain that role after all issaid and done, for a variety of reasons. There is a high probability of "transitioning" to a more internal role, but i am actually thnking about making a major change. I am thinking about opening an electrology and laser center! I would certainly enjoy the work, as well as the low stress nature of it. As i am a licensed surgeon, i can do this without formal schooling. I will obviously need some hands on experience, but my electrologist is willing to work with me. In fact, after my last session she let me work on her legs for a while - so cool! As a doc i will be able to offer local anesthsia and mild sedation as needed, a differentiator, i think.

This move would be a major drop in income, but what price happiness? I am excited!

Eryn
06-30-2011, 08:29 PM
It sounds like you are perfectly positioned to make this change. How do the business prospects look for a laser/electrology clinic in your area? Is there demand enough for your clinic and others to survive or should you seek another location? Sometimes two businesses will starve where one was successful before.

I'm curious, though. What is preventing you from keeping your public role? Is it the image or is it something internal to the organization?

On a personal note, it's too bad you're in Tenn. I'm contemplating some laser work,,, :)

ReneeT
06-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Eryn,

I will likely make a move to the west coast ( of course!). I do not want to compete with the ladies here who have done so much for me, and i really love Seattle. I am a boater and cant think of a prettier place to cruise

My current job has a significant sales and "public perception" component and i know my transition would be a distraction. I am very fond of my company and dont want to have a negative impact, real or perceived

AKAMichelle
07-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I have often thought about changing careers again in my life. You get to a certain point in your life where the money doesn't matter. Good luck to you on your choices. Keep me informed as I would love to visit Seattle.