PDA

View Full Version : Clothes don't make the (wo)man, but what about age...?

Briana90802
07-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Sometimes I dress one way and it makes me feel old. Vice versa, if I wear young looking clothes I feel very young. Am I the only one that gets this feeling from their clothes? I know this kinda asks the age appropriateness question in a way, and yet it's different. do you dress the way you feel inside, or by the candles on the cake, or by the way you want to feel about yourself?

Denise Shelly
07-02-2011, 10:29 AM
My so says I was born in the wrong time. I love the feel, style and cut of the cloths from the 40s & 50s. The feel of the hem of a satin dress sliding across my thighs and shins is just devive.

Denise

Christina Horton
07-02-2011, 11:49 AM
I wear clothes that I like the look of. If that means tat I were old granny dresses or japanese school girl outfits then thats what I wear. I can't pull of the school girl being plus size and all but I do wear very short skirt That my mom tells me are way to short....LOL moms eh. I say if you like the look of an outfit and it not only looks good and is appropriate for the place your going then wear it. Now I would not dress as a ***** and pick up my kids (if I had any) as school but you get my drift.

Jannette H
07-02-2011, 12:51 PM
In our world clothing, wigs, and makeup make the woman of the age we want not necessarily the age we really are.

Cassidy
07-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Whenever I shop and then make a selection I always ask myself '...would a woman in her 60s buy and then wear this...?' After I ask that question and am satisfied with the answer I then go to the qestion '...will this dress add to the joy of dressing...?' Satisfied with my answers I then open my wallet.

Cynthia Anne
07-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I guess I feel younger in certain types of clothes! But gee, the longer myskirt is the older I feel!

Kaz
07-02-2011, 02:22 PM
The wallet is a big issue... if I had the nerve to go and try everything on in a store I would! But I select first and then buy and take back if it doesn't work for me and if I can take it back. So what about the post... I guess I wear what I like to and try out various things. Some work well, some less so. I tend to not go by age but what I think I look good in and/or what I feel good in! I can't excited by some clothes though and I know I dress younger than my age!

Vickie_CDTV
07-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I have always tended to dress more "mature" than I really am, but it doesn't really change how I feel inside. I always feel like an "old soul" as a GG friend once described me, regardless of how I am dressed (male, female, younger, older.)

Cheryl T
07-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Mostly I dress the way I feel and in clothes that make me feel the way I want to feel. ??
Anyway, my spouse is still trying to figure out my "style". Every time we talk about clothes or shop I say, "it's not my style" and she still can't put it all together...actually neither can I. I just know when something is right or wrong for me and they way I want to look.
She tells me that I look about 40-45 depending on what I'm in the mood for and that's about right for how I feel. So I suppose I dress my "age" in some respects.

charlytuna
07-02-2011, 05:10 PM
with me I look around at other women about my age and see what style they are wearing and try to get that style and only problem is there is no in paticuarl style women are wearing

BLUE ORCHID
07-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I like to keep up with current trends but I also like my retro styles too.

Orchid

Danni Renee
07-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I dress younger than the number of candles. It is funny, my girlfriend has a 20 year old daughter who knows about me and even buys me things. When my girlfriend wants to know if I like something or not, I tell her to ask her daughter. 90% of the time we have the same opinions on clothes and jewelry.

Paulacder
07-02-2011, 05:49 PM
What is Old?............

Karren H
07-02-2011, 05:58 PM
I feel old no mater what I wear! Sigh....

Eryn
07-02-2011, 06:01 PM
When I find that magical garment that looks really good on me it makes me feel great. Great = Young.

Jocelyn Quivers
07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
My outfits are based upon my internal feelings, the mood I'm in and how I wish to present my image. However they are also aged based which I am slowly having to accept that I am not getting any younger and am definitely "middle aged". At which point I usually will wear something age inappropriate just for my own satisfaction in realizing "I've still got it!!" and to make up for my lost, never experienced youth.

carolinewalker_2000
07-03-2011, 03:54 AM
One of the delights of being a tranny is that we are less constrained than our GG sisters as to what we can wear - after all there is so much fantasy involved for us. In my case this means that although I am 65, I can - and do - from time to time choose to dress in totally age-inappropriate outfits. It's fun and I love it!!!

KrystalA
07-03-2011, 06:11 AM
I dress WAY younger than my chronological age would suggest I dress. I wear mostly fem clothes that would look good on a woman in her late teens or 20s. I think the fact that I am slender helps me in that respect.

sissystephanie
07-03-2011, 06:49 AM
At age 79 I really am in the older category!! I dress in what I feel like wearing at the time!! Sometimes I do look younger,some other times probably not!! I would never dress like a woman in her 20's ot even 30's!!

Adrienne Heels
07-03-2011, 08:15 AM
I think it is so important to dress age appropriate if you want to pass......

suzy1
07-03-2011, 09:05 AM
I dress like a mature but still drop dead gorgeous women. Which I am, yes? [Don’t answer that please]

SUZY

sometimes_miss
07-03-2011, 09:41 AM
I feel old no matter what I wear! Sigh....

And I will, no matter what I do, always to some degree, feel like I'm an adolescent girl of 13, 14 or so. So those are the clothes I wear. Doesn't matter what I'm wearing, I always feel the same.

Shelly K
07-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Dressing for your age is hard in the beginning. We all want to experience the same things as young girls, we are learning as do young girls. Once we can get past this period then we can begin to dress and appear more natural and comfortable in everyday life.

docrobbysherry
07-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Fortunately, I'm a closet dresser, Bri. So even tho I'm over 60, words like: age, appropriate, tasteful, blend, pass, even indecent, DON'T apply to us!

I only have to please ONE PERSON! My clothes NEVER make me feel any particular age, no matter HOW I'm dressed!

Simply, "excited", or sometimes even, "more excited"!

Angiemead12
07-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I dress depending on where Im going and what I am doing. More than age appropriate clothing I work with keeping it classy and glamorous.

Gaby2
07-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi Brianna,
for me it's not a question of choosing cloths to feel a certain age.
I've always felt that cloths choose me.
I joined the forum a year ago and
the type of clothing that chooses me has been changing at a rapid rate ever since.
It's as if they're adapting to my ever changing situations and needs.

Beforehand, closet-me was happy to imitate a fantasy ideal mostly based on what I found sexually attractive.
This hadn't changed in thirty years.
I needlessly burdened my ever-expanding family and social commitments by hiding crossdressing.
Purge after purge forced me into a vicious-circle where I was just replacing what I had thrown away.
I still yearn after particular shoes, stockings, underwear, and some wonderful nightwear and dresses.
I suppose I wasn't really "developing" and that's dangerous for the psyche in any context.

On becoming a member my heart literally exploded with joy at all the activity here.
Make-up was a revelation, I had a short-lived phase visiting thrift stores, and so on.
After outing to some GGs I took note of their reactions.

Last Autumn, I met my SO and declared my crossdressing shortly thereafter.
From that moment on, I knew I wanted to impress her though this has been hard for me to admit.
It is really significant that my new-found SO is accepting.
At thirty-eight, she's seven years younger than I am.

In no time I was enjoying the freedom of sharing intimate and nightwear.
Eventually I found enough courage to present my (then) favourite combination to my SO before breakfast on a cold winter's morning.
I knew it was risky but I had to be honest with myself...
and she had encouraged me to do so.

While I was pleased with the fresh happy-go-lucky look, she considered me non-presenting as a love-to-be twenty-year-old.
She was nothing less than mortified for me.
(As far as she's concerned, there are enough ladies in everyday life who similarly fail so embarassingly.)
Her honesty didn't hurt me one bit though.

We're now a few months further down the road - and she says that as long as I'm happy, she will support me in every way she can.
She considers plucking the odd hair support... hmm... ouch!

I'm also further down the road.
I've noticed that when I crossdress, it's when life is going well.
So it's easy: when I'm well dressed, life will be a ball.
Does well-dressed mean age-appropriate? Perhaps.
Robin once sang: It's not easy being green.
And here I am now, sitting half-way up the stairs!

Now, where did that all come from?
Thanks for your post, Brianna!
:oGaby

Intertwined
07-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I think dressing in attire that is normaly seen being worn by folk younger than ourselves, will always make you feel younger, its like trying to fit into that age group.

I dress in what makes me comfortable, regardless of my age, one reason is because, I have always said, we have 3 ages (some of us 4):

1: Actual age, measured from your date of birth, im 48

2: Physical age, some of us, like myself, have put a lot more miles and abuse on their bodies than other people of the same "Actual age", physically I put myself at about 60

3: Mental age, You've heard the expression, your mature for your age, or, Grow Up, my mental age various between 18 - 25 depending on the case scenerio.

The possible 4th one I mentioned, a co-worker the other day asked me, How old is Marsha?, until that momement I never thought about Marsha's age, and without hesitation I said 40, because I was 8 when started exploring my feminine half.

MizT
07-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I am an "older" dresser and hate it. I look old, feel old so I have about given up dressing, but I do love it dearly. I can't find anything that looks attractive even moderately so for the older "woman". Maybe it's time to pack it all in....darn.

Annie D
07-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I think that as we age as women, we start to dress somewhat for comfort and ease plus for wherever we might be going. Although I might dress younger in the privacy of my home, I would not dress the same way for several places I might frequent (although I do sometimes wear something considered too short for my age). What I always try to strive for when I dress whether going out or staying home is to "feel" pretty. The feminine feeling that I experience when dressed is what I want; jeans and a t-shirt just don't cut it for me but something that unmistakenly feminine in look and feel is most important. I think that I share the same emotional attachment with others in as much as it is the feel and the look that women want to attain that dictates how they dress.

Sally24
07-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Clothes do affect how we feel. If I'm wearing dirty work clothes I feel different than when I'm wearing a nice trim suit. Same way with Sally's clothes. I feel prettier in a.dress and hose than I do when wearing jeans and a T. The age thing is just an offshoot of that. When wearing young styles and makeup I feel younger than when I'm wearing a conservative (older) dress.

Annie D
07-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I agree with the comments that "if you want to pass, you dress age appropriately" but if 100 of us lined up in our finest clothing and best makeup job of our lives; only about 30 would pass. When most of us are over 6' tall and close to or over 200 lbs, then I think that as long as we feel feminine, act like a lady (yes, dressed appropriately) then we will be emotionally satified.

Cary
07-04-2011, 04:02 PM
As a closet dresser I wear anything that I want. I have things that would be worn by the 20 something crowd. I also have a few things considered granny wear. Most of the time I try to dress within 10 years of my 38 years.

Celeste Aileen
07-04-2011, 04:37 PM
My girl clothes are automagic age-reducers. They take 10 or 20 years from my excessive real age!

noeleena
07-05-2011, 04:15 AM
Hi,

I'm 63 i dress for my self no one else. i wear long skirts because i can & do because thats what i like, in our groups more so our Renassiance , i like my long skirts yet i can turn around & wear my shorts as i did this week end gone , age does not dictate my style or fashon.
We are all different & im different again .

iv not yet met the dress code people so till then ........& im very young at heart, just liveing in the long ago. of to day.

...noeleena...

erickka
07-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Age is just mind over matter. If you don't mind... It doesn't matter. Anyhoo, I tend to dress a little younger than the number of candles my birthday cake has, and it feels great!

Tina B.
07-05-2011, 09:07 AM
I refuse to dress my age, I will not wear polyester pant suits! That being said I don't dress out of the Juniors department either. But in the womens section, the only restraints I have is, it's to short, or it's to tight, the rest is fair game. I also have no Grey wigs.
Tina B.

adraine
07-05-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm almost 50 , botox is my best friend and I dress like well I used to dress like a very proper school teacher , short curly wigs I looked my age I guess but recently I 've started dressing like I suppose a woman in her late thirties would dress Ie, more chest showing more leg , higher heels much longer hair and different colors througout the hairpiece ( male pattern baldness) doesn't help but with wigs I can't complain so I don't dress my age my wife of almost 21years thinks I certainly look younger ( when infem) any way thank you

Gaby2
07-06-2011, 02:27 AM
I'm almost 50... I 've started dressing like I suppose a woman in her late thirties would dress...
I'm sure you look super, adraine!
The difference between 50 and late thirties isn't as much as between, say, 50 and 20, don't you think?
Gaby

ReineD
07-06-2011, 02:50 AM
If you're interested in a GG's response, I dress according to what suits my body. I'm past middle age, yet still have a young body with weight proportionate to my height. So, I can still wear leggings, short skirts, camis, halter tops, etc. Sometimes I feel as if I shouldn't since you can tell by my face that I am no longer 25, but I don't dress in a way that is too revealing the way that many young women dress sometimes.

When and if the body ever goes, then I guess I will dress accordingly, with looser, yet still stylish clothing. :)

daywalker1966
07-06-2011, 04:14 AM
I guess I'm lucky. I really dont give a rat's patootie what people think anymore. I sometimes go out in a top hat and long overcoat, often in victorian clothing. I very much enjoy transforming into Miss Ginny also and leaving me behind. I dont have much for a pretty face, so I just wear what I want. Now if you ant to feel old,shop at wal mart. Blech!

Gaby2
07-06-2011, 04:33 AM
If you're interested in a GG's response, I dress according to what suits my body...
I can't imagine that anyone would not be interested, Reine.
As you can rely on years of experience, you can be very confident about what suits you.
Thanks for sharing,
Gaby

Briana90802
07-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I live and work in Long Beach and at the beaches here people have concept of age appropriateness. I've seen quite a few older women wearing clothes that were too young for them and I'm not talking about swimwear. So if you need a place to wear clothes that make you feel young and don't want to stick out, then long beach is the place. Along the beach here I see 50 and 60 year old men skateboarding and inline skating. So move on down.

ReineD
07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I can't imagine that anyone would not be interested, Reine.
As you can rely on years of experience, you can be very confident about what suits you.
Thanks for sharing,
Gaby

Thanks, Gaby, but it is not the years of experience I am relying on. For decades while my kids were growing up, I wore very little else than blue jeans.

What I rely on most is the mirror and my sense of proportion, that I've learned mostly by looking at what other people are wearing and developing a sense of whether or not it suits them, or if it is "too much", and then apply it to myself. Anyone can do this! :)

Cheryl T
07-09-2011, 07:43 AM
I dress in styles appropriate to the age I feel I look when I am dressed, and also that match my self-image. I'm no longer flashy or trashy, just me.