PDA

View Full Version : Let myself go . . .

TxKimberly
07-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Well today I stepped on the scale for the first time in a long time, and I've gained almost 10 pounds. :( I just went through my closet and a LOT of my things dont fit, so there will be a shit load of skirts and a few dresses on the way to Ebay shortly. I'm thinking that I'm taking this stuff TOO seriously because all kidding aside, I feel like sobbing. I worked hard to get down to 150 pounds and then just let myself go all to hell.
Guess what I did right after I found out that so much of my stuff doesn't fit? I went jogging. It's over 100 degrees in the Austin area and I was so desperate and felt so bad that I went for a two mile run.
I'm thinking that I must be insane. . .

Well, gotta go get a shower and start taking photos of a lot of stuff that I need to get rid of . . .

sissystephanie
07-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Have you had your mind checked lately? Jogging in 100 degree heat...........really crazy!! Just lose the weight and keep the clothes! Oh,........wait....... we do buy new clothes don't we!!

TxKimberly
07-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Have you had your mind checked lately? . . .

Nah - I've got enough problems without letting someone else rummage around inside my head . . .

Angiemead12
07-03-2011, 05:36 PM
love the determination, its always easier to lose weight as you see it come on then ignore it keep putting exercise off till its to late!

Danni Renee
07-03-2011, 05:39 PM
160? I have already lost 50 pounds this year and I would need to lose another 50 just to get to where you are!:)

All joking aside, 10 pounds isn't that much but I certainly understand the panic. After losing the weight I have lost I am very sensitive to any weight gain. I have been holding steady at 213 for over 2 months now but I still weigh myself daily and seeing 214 sends shivers through my spine.

But remember, you have lost the weight before and if you have done it once you can do it again. I also wonder since the weather is hot if you may be drinking more fluids than usual which of course also adds to your weight. Either way the important part is you recognized the gain and that you want to lose it again so relax, get back in your weight loss routine, and I am sure you will lose that weight in no time.

I also agree with Stephanie - you get to shop now for new clothes AND shop again when you the lose the weight ;)

Shelly Preston
07-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Kimberly, I have to say your not the first person to think about sobbing because you clothes have shrunk without you knowing

It keeps happening to me :(

You remember all those comments when we were told being a woman is not always a sunshine and roses

This is one of those times I hope the jogging helps :hugs:

JustWendy
07-03-2011, 05:40 PM
It's funny how we only care about this weight thing when we realize we've gone up a dress or skirt size. Kimberly, it's only 10 pounds - you can lose it again and probably without having to risk your health in 100 degree weather. Unless you'd really just like to buy some new things, just use those outfits as motivation towards a goal. I'm in a similar boat (but worse) and that's what I'm doing.

Wendy

Sara Jessica
07-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Hmmm, a couple thoughts...

1. The good news, with normal daily weight fluctuations, you easily could be a mere 7 pounds over what you are used to. Then again, it could be up to 13 pounds. OK, scratch that thought!!!

2. Why get rid of anything if you are intent on losing the extra pounds? Tis the season for exercise (100 degree heat nothwithstanding).

Debb
07-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Methinks you just want an excuse to go shopping. :-D

Kimberly, don't get rid of stuff you like. You'll drop the weight again, now that you've noticed your train is on the wrong track. You don't need to de-rail.

TxKimberly
07-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Well, some of it IS stuff that I've worn and liked and now cant fit in, but most of the stuff are things that I have bought with out trying it on and it never fit to begin with.

BLUE ORCHID
07-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi Kim, A girl has to do what a girl has to do!!

Orchid

SusanLCD
07-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I became unemployed in late 2010 and my continuing job search has me spending too much time at home (read: too near the kitchen) and at the computer (read: too sedate.)

A recent purchase from Macy's was in the proper size, so, I foolishly didn't try it on before buying. When I tried it on at home, I realized that I had regained 12 of the 30 pounds I had lost a few months before. Too snug to be comfortable.

So, now, I've returned to my weight-loss regimen and am vowing to re-lose the weight and more. But,...I'm NOT going jogging in Texas' weather. If I have to run after something in this heat, it will surely escape. :hmph:

And, I'll keep the recent purchase with the tags on it to remind myself to stick with the program.

t-girlxsophie
07-03-2011, 07:21 PM
my wife and I have both decided to shed the pounds when we come back from holiday,figure it'll help us both if we do it together.Not counting our chickens just yet,but can see some fun shopping trips in our future :) also I still have a LBD I bought a little while back that I can't get into,so there's a pic of that going on the biscuit barrel AND the Fridge door AND the sweetie jar etc etc :heehee:

Sophie

Sally24
07-03-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm right there with you sister! I very rarely go out without a corset because I've gained over 10 pounds. We're at least as susceptible to weight concerns as genetic women. Probably more so as we're naturally larger than similar sized women. I gain all my weight in my gut so it is quite noticeable in fitted clothing.

Good luck. I'm hoping to get to a bathing suit weight before the summer is over!

Pythos
07-03-2011, 07:36 PM
You were 150, so now that makes you what? 160. HEY THAT'S HOW MUCH I WEIGH!!! (165 to be exact) I must be a big fat whale!!! I have been at 165 for two years now, was a scrawny 155 before that. I attribute it to my more sedetary life at the moment. More clubbing, and flying will hopefully fix that.

Oh the pain!!! The pain of it all!!!

Common that is little to be worried about.

TGMarla
07-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Kimberly, the very same thing happened to me. I ballooned to 170 lbs, and I went on a diet with an exercise program that has helped me to lose about 10 lbs, give or take (mostly take!). But it works, this whole diet and exercise thing, whether I want to admit it or not. So I didn't purge myself of some of the things I really like, in hopes that some time soon, I may just fit into them again. Damn 'middle age spread'!

KateSpade83
07-03-2011, 08:50 PM
How tall are you? 150 lbs must be skinny for your height and hard to maintain without constant mini diets and workouts.

I got lazy and stopped frequent workouts in 2009. Now I went up from 145 to 161 lbs, and I'm very disappointed I can't fit many size 4 skirt suits I have. Luckily when I was a skinny size 4 I bought size 6 instead in case I get fat, and I still can fit all my siuze 6's but I buy size 8 new now.

I'm kinda lazy to devote the amount of exercise and dieting to lose 15 lbs. The easy way would be to do Atkins but you regain the weight if you go off of that.

ambower
07-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Works for me! From 185+ to 160 and holding over five years now. Techie diet..
http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/

Karren H
07-03-2011, 09:46 PM
And you call me crazy for playing ice hockey year round Kim? In a nice cold ice rink! Lol. I'm on a roll and am back down to 175... The weight I graduated high school :).

celeste26
07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
I haven't seen the south side of 200lbs since high school back in 1970. I dont complain about gaining 10 lbs since I can hardly even see 10 lbs on me, haven't seen 250 since the mid 80's either. That, Kimberly is letting things go, not some miniscule 10 lbs.

Breanne
07-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Well today I stepped on the scale for the first time in a long time, and I've gained almost 10 pounds. . . .
Gosh gee whiz, Kimberly, it's so simple. Keep the clothes and toss the scale!

Stephanie-L
07-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Hmm, lets see, last time I was down around 160 was about 25 years ago, right about my 25th birthday. I was skinny as a rail, trying to gain weight. Then one day I woke up and had gained 30 pounds, and none of my clothes fit. I got to almost 250 and have been fighting to get down to 210 (out of the "obese" range) for a couple of years. I lose 15 pounds and hit a plateau, and don't budge no matter what I do. So, 150 to 160, I wish I had your problems, but I do feel for you....Stephanie

Nicole Erin
07-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Rid the clothes you don't or won't wear.
Do not trash anything you like. You will get back down to 150, it won't be that hard. You are acting like you gained 50 pounds instead of 10.

docrobbysherry
07-04-2011, 01:29 AM
And you call me crazy for playing ice hockey year round Kim? In a nice cold ice rink! Lol. I'm on a roll and am back down to 175... The weight I graduated high school :).

I used the exact OPPOSITE method to lose weight as u; I stopped all extraneous excersize, which helps me cut back on meal portions!:)

It is natural for your weight to vary up and down. Don't worry if u add a few after just losing some! Because u will hit plateaus on the way down, or up! When your body and eating habits adjust and stabilize.:thumbsup:

I hit them at about: 165, 160, 155, and am now at 150. Same as Karren, my goal is the weight on my FIRST DRIVER'S LICENSE! 145!:eek:

However, with our summer vacation coming up, I expect to add up to 5 pounds first. After we get back, THEN I push for that 145 plateau!:D

StaceyJane
07-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Kimberly, my HRT doc told me I needed to lose some some weight and I should try running. Easy for her to say she runs marathons!
It's way too hot to be outside running unless you go at 0630 like you did back in the Army. I see soldiers at Fort Hood out running when I'm leaving work and I feel so glad to be out of the army.

I'll tell you what, I 'll come by your house at 0600 and we can get a PT program started.

JenniferR771
07-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Kimberly,
marrying a woman that can cook will eventually cause a problem. Don't give up; give yourself a chance to fit into cute dresses again. Exercise is good for you--but--it is a lot simpler to eat less. Try the new diet that is so easy and simple you can lose weight in your sleep. Set your alarm for a half-hour later and skip breakfast. And forget about that bull that breadfast is the most important meal of the day. Balderdash.

In any case I like to hear about your ups and downs--keep writing.

Debra Russell
07-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Use to be a bodybuilder, had to quit (shoulder replacement) ; before that 205 lb 5'8" -- 187 at show time, Now 155 --lost a lot of muscle but fit size 8 maybe 6 and watch weight adjust diet daily -- I can gain 10 lb in a heartbeat. for those of us that have bodies that are accustom to "more" it's a change of habits and a daily struggle - don't let it get away from you...................Debra

P.S. Kim if you can't figgure out what to do with all those things your too big for--- you have impecable taste....and were proably about the same size :daydreaming:

TxKimberly
07-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Rid the clothes you don't or won't wear.
Do not trash anything you like. You will get back down to 150, it won't be that hard. You are acting like you gained 50 pounds instead of 10.

Ah, but the point isn't really how much weight I've gained, but is really more about the fact that I no longer fit in some of my favorite skirts. The number on the scale doesn't bother me too terribly much, but the fact that some of my favorite clothes dont fit IS a show stopper. :(

Kimberly, my HRT doc told me I needed to lose some some weight and I should try running. Easy for her to say she runs marathons!
It's way too hot to be outside running unless you go at 0630 like you did back in the Army. I see soldiers at Fort Hood out running when I'm leaving work and I feel so glad to be out of the army.

I'll tell you what, I 'll come by your house at 0600 and we can get a PT program started.

Bring it on Stacey! It's hard to wuss out when someone else is there to see it. LOL

Jolene
07-04-2011, 12:16 PM
I have come to the conclusion that we all tend to gain weight as we age. Would like to lose about 10 pounds here but about all I seem to be able to do is hold steady at 170 pounds give or take a few pounds either way.

ReineD
07-04-2011, 12:40 PM
How tall are you Kim? (sorry, I can't remember) :p

Here's a decent site to calculate BMI: http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

If you're 5'8" (or more) and in your 40's, you're in the normal range for both the CDC-WHO and hall.md v2.

I hear you about not fitting into your favorite skirts any more though. :sad:

Eryn
07-04-2011, 01:20 PM
10 pounds doesn't seem like much, but if you worked hard to get down to the weight you wanted then I can see why it would disturb you. I don't like it when I see the scale sitting more than three pounds over my preferred weight.

Kathy Smith
07-04-2011, 01:40 PM
If I could just figure out what size I am then I may be more concerned about my weight. Two skirts, both size 14. One a bit tight, the other falls off.

Just look for clothes with the right numbers on that fit! You haven't changed weight that way. :-)

Eryn
07-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Just look for clothes with the right numbers on that fit! You haven't changed weight that way. :-)

The entire clothing industry seems to be set up that way! :)

TxKimberly
07-04-2011, 02:31 PM
How tall are you Kim? (sorry, I can't remember) :p

Here's a decent site to calculate BMI: http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm

If you're 5'8" (or more) and in your 40's, you're in the normal range for both the CDC-WHO and hall.md v2.

I hear you about not fitting into your favorite skirts any more though. :sad:

So depending on which standard you apply, and on whether you select male or female, I am considered to be either with in the nor or marginally over weight. Either way, many pf the things that I own dont fit. LOL

Eryn
07-04-2011, 03:08 PM
I tried that BMI calculator and found that, as a male, I am on the low end of the normal category. If I lost 5 pounds I would be underweight.

Just for fun, I tried the same data for a female. As a female I could lose an additional 20 pounds and still be normal!

Unfortunately, they don't have a "CD" setting on the calculator.

LeannL
07-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Kim,

Hang in there. I am in exactly the same boat as you although it looks like I am about an inch taller than you (except when you are in heels as you can handle taller heels than I :) ). I too just started exercising again but I need to swim as I just can't stand running. Last week was the first time back in about a year.

How about we all form a group and join the next "Biggest Losers" challenge with some tricky name that I am at a loss to come up with.

Leann

Genivieve
07-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I can relate. I actually refuse to step on a scale and let it depress me right now. I can tell I've gained about 10 pounds too. It sucks because most people laugh at how careful I am about what I eat and that I walk about 5 miles a day for exercise. However, on my frame 10 pounds is a lot and it does make clothes male or female look sloppy.

It also becomes easy to let the weight trickle on. So its good to catch it early and get back on track. Just don't let it stress you!
Go about your plan, make it a lifestyle, and soon enough you'll look amazing.

As others have stated, careful about the 100 degree heat. I hate the summer in California because it prevents me from running or walking during the day. I know Austin is much hotter. Do you have any friends with a pool? I used to pester my sister to use her pool to work out in the summer heat. Much safer and more enjoyable than running.

Celeste Aileen
07-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Kim, work on that scale problem. It can be beat. And we need you & your amiable communications here.
I find that an hour twice a week, with my wife, at a low-key fitness shop keeps me at my 141, plus or minus 3 lbs. But I carried more like 155 before beginning the fitness routine a few years ago. Mostly treadmill and a few other machines. And my wife can cook fine , (though she denies it.)
It's tough eating sensibly on the road, as you must .... e.g., I picked up 5 lb. on the three-week vacation trip we just returned from last week but I expect to get back to standard in a few weeks.
I'm still VERY concerned about that packed closet of yours ... and I would be glad to ease the crowding by an offer on the polka-dot dress and belt in the Hunstville 12/15/10 pic should you really find it excess. ("Retro" fits Celeste's style!)

P.S. Yes, use that new avatar ... it's Kim's signature style that we all enjoy.

Frédérique
07-04-2011, 07:49 PM
I went jogging. It's over 100 degrees in the Austin area and I was so desperate and felt so bad that I went for a two mile run. I'm thinking that I must be insane. . .

All to wear a dress! I admire that...:battingeyelashes:

Please be careful out there, Kimberly – we need girls like you! :)

Loveday
07-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Kim I lost 15 lbs., Now many of my skirts are not fitting and I am having to go buy new ones. I have already replaced two of them. I'm really hoping I do not start eating alot again. I would really like to be skinny again.

faltenrock
07-05-2011, 01:55 AM
Kimberly, I can relate to what you said. I try to stay at about 150, that way my clothes fit, except a few skirts, but they've always been kind of too small anyway.

kimdl93
07-05-2011, 08:59 AM
I know the feeling, Kimberly. I hurt a shoulder doing some light construction around the house and ended up neglecting my work-out routine for several weeks. I gained 10 pounds before I got back to the gym and my pants are too tight!

Claire Cook
07-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Ah, but the point isn't really how much weight I've gained, but is really more about the fact that I no longer fit in some of my favorite skirts. The number on the scale doesn't bother me too terribly much, but the fact that some of my favorite clothes dont fit IS a show stopper. :(

LOL

Kim, you have such great clothes (especially those skirts!) it would be a CRIME to get rid of them! Keep them for incentive reasons!

I'm right there with you sister! I very rarely go out without a corset because I've gained over 10 pounds. We're at least as susceptible to weight concerns as genetic women. Probably more so as we're naturally larger than similar sized women. I gain all my weight in my gut so it is quite noticeable in fitted clothing.

Sally,

How true, how true. Someone once remarked that while my wife looked great, I looked pregnant (umm ... in drab) . Maybe we should go for maternity dresses!

TxKimberly
07-10-2011, 03:06 PM
And then things got worse . . .
Last week I made a service call to Sheridan WY drab for a number of reasons. During this trip I hit the hotel gym up several times, and on the last time, I noticed that they had a good quality scale off in the corner and so I stepped up on it. Bad mistake, because it turns out that my scale at home is LOW by about 10 pounds. All of this time it has been telling me that my weight was in the 150's and it has actually been in the 160's.
When I got back home I went and bought a new scale and it confirms that my old one has been consistently lying to me and under reporting my weight by 10 pounds. So now I find out that when I was already horrified to find that my weight had gone from 150 to 158, I now find that I really weigh 168! Sigh. . .
The good news is that I am not TOO hung up on the number on the scale, but am more concerned about the fact that my clothes dont fit well. So, when I get down to 160 according to my new and accurate scale, and what my old scale had been reporting as 150, then I presume that I will once again be pleased with myself. At least that's the theory . . .

Vickie_CDTV
07-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Since one's weight can fluctuate back and forth over time, would it not make more sense to keep what you have and just buy more clothes the next size up so you are always covered?

The number on the scale is just a measurement of weight and has nothing whatsoever to do with your value as a person, why beat yourself up over it?

NathalieX66
07-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Scales are every girls worst enemy.
I was exactly 145 lbs last year, and now I fluctuate between 155-160 now. What changed? I run 3-5 miles every other day.......It's really hard.

TxKimberly
07-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Scales are every girls worst enemy.
I was exactly 145 lbs last year, and now I fluctuate between 155-160 now. What changed? I run 3-5 miles every other day.......It's really hard.

Well in your case, maybe it is just the fact that the muscle weighs more than fat. If your in fairly good shape, may well weight more while still being skinny. That's why I am not so hung up on the number my scale shows me so much as the fact that I know mine is fat and not muscle. LOL

Kaz
07-10-2011, 07:06 PM
So much much support... I wonder why? Kim you are a star! Forget the weight... the issue is about fitting the clothes. Sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do... simple!

You are also (I hate to say it) approaching the age group of a few others who will share this problem!

Instant hit... don't eat for three days but drink lots. Then don't touch carbs for a month - high protein and vitamins... sorted! Oh and hi energy drinks for the blood sugar levels!

donnalee
07-11-2011, 03:15 AM
In the past couple of years I've gone from 230 to a hair below 190. I try to do this in 10 lb increments. I don't want to lose weight too quickly to avoid skin sagging and to try to make more of a lifestyle change than a diet. Due to medical issues, the best I can do is walking; at 100 degrees I have trouble laying on a couch, let alone running. The thing that I have noticed is that it's a two steps forward, one step back proposition between water weight and actually losing body fat. I'm on 2 diuretics (including spiro, which may have something to do with why I'm here) and have been for about 15 years; weight can vary 5 lbs or more in a single day with fluid gain and loss. So don't panic; 10 lbs is not that big a deal. Just try to lose the weight in about the same amount of time it took you to gain it and you'll be fine.