PDA

View Full Version : Be Myself.... What do you mean?

sara.s
07-03-2011, 08:58 PM
What does "being myself" mean to you?

Tara D. Rose
07-03-2011, 09:07 PM
I've heard that a million times in my life too. I was set up to do a blind date one time, and I was a little nervous. And this couple that was settting me up in an effort to help calm down my nervousness, told me: "just be yourself". How can I be anything other than my self? So many things that people say to others like this line of being your self, is a little corny really. There's one more line that I hear all the time that is equally as bothersome, and that is when you're talking to a friend and telling them that you're depressed for one reason or another. Then they tell you" happiness is a frame of mind". I think No s***. Happiness is a frame of mind. and "water is wet", and the "worls is round" And so whenever I'm told to "just be yourself". I just say, O.K.

sara.s
07-03-2011, 09:12 PM
And this couple that was settting me up in an effort to help calm down my nervousness, told me: "just be yourself". How can I be anything other than my self?
That was hilarious:D

sissystephanie
07-03-2011, 10:00 PM
It means really being yourself!! Too many people, and that includes a lot of the members on this forum, try to be somebody they aren't! That requires a lot of work!! Just being yourself is a whole lot easier, because it does not require any work at all!! Of course you can be anybody else other than yourself if you want to do the work required!! You can crossdress and still be yourself! Just ask Karren, she is the same no matter what she is wearing because she is always herself!! Am I right, Karren? I am the same way! It is much easier to live that way!

eluuzion
07-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Hmmmm....didn’t Bing Crosby or somebody sing a song “I gotta be me” ??

“Just be yourself”
I suppose on this forum it might be a request for someone to stop speaking in third person references to an imaginary friend, that is supposed to be them, but is not really “them” when doing something unacceptable...and to be the only “them” that other normal earthlings (void of magical powers) are able to physically see. :D

It could also be similar to some people insisting that “I deserve to have a life too”. Like my ex whose concept of marriage was her “ married life”, but she also kept her “single life” one too (where she dated other guys, lol), and her “mother life” ...hehehe

It is often just an idiosyncratic cliché offered as a confidence booster to a friend who is experiencing self conscious feelings about being accepted in a new environment or interaction. It is meant to try and assure a person that they should not feel they need to change their normal behavior...that they are “OK”. (Whatever the word “OK” means, lol)

As for me...I much prefer “being myself” over being “beside myself” as some claim to be at times.:)

But I will say this...
“I feel much more like I do now, than I did a little while ago...”

But “that is just me being myself“....:D

:love:

docrobbysherry
07-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Yes, Eluusion, and someone else, (Elvis?), sang a song with the words, "We r all actors on a stage----".

My guess is, we r rarely EVER ourselves when with others and maybe slightly more when we r alone!

The fact is, I'm over 60 and STILL trying to figure out who I AM! Much less what Sherry's all about!

Nicole Erin
07-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Being yourself means not trying to be who someone else wants you to be.
Being yourself in the case of TG means not worrying about silly labels like CD, TS, TV, or whatever they call it this year.
Being yourself means not having to fake something for whatever trial period until you can no longer hold up an act.

Noortje
07-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Ah, yes. It is of course impossible to be someone you are not, though I think there is a lot of collective experience on this forum with trying to do just that, and failing...

When people say "be yourself", they usually mean "present as yourself". This is kind of dumb, because people always present differently in different situations. I do not behave exactly the same at work, as I do at home with my girlfriend, at home alone, while riding the train... This is not a kind of fraud or delusion, it is just showing an appropriate facet of yourself at an appropriate time.

I guess "relax and be honest to a reasonable extent" is better advice, but it doesn't blurb as well. Or maybe: "let the thing you show at least be a part of yourself".

Wait, that doesn't work quite well either :ohgoon:

Rianna Humble
07-04-2011, 02:44 AM
Ah, yes. It is of course impossible to be someone you are not, though I think there is a lot of collective experience on this forum with trying to do just that, and failing...

When people say "be yourself", they usually mean "present as yourself".

Or does it mean "don't try to change they way that you act and feel because you are afraid that the other person won't like you"?

kath jones
07-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Or does it mean "don't try to change they way that you act and feel because you are afraid that the other person won't like you"?

Thats the way I always figured it, . If someone doesn't like me then that is there loss not mine :)

KrystalA
07-04-2011, 06:18 AM
I think the phrase 'just be yourself' is usually used to tell someone who is about to meet a new person/persons not to put on airs. In other words, don't try to act more/less successful than you really are, more/less educated than you really are, more/less well-traveled, etc. So, 'just be yourself' means 'don't try to bullsh** anyone'.

Raychel
07-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Ohhh, I don't think the world is ready for me just yet. :devil::devil:

jillcutie
07-04-2011, 07:33 AM
I think this phrase can never really have just one meaning, to understand what the person telling you is trying to convey, you really just need to ask them back.

BLUE ORCHID
07-04-2011, 10:08 AM
No matter which way that I'm dressed I'm being myself.
It's who I am It's what I do.

Orchid

AllieSF
07-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I always think of it as a statement made to others to just relax, don't be nervous. When i say it referring to myself, I mean that I am me in boy or girl mode, extroverted, talkative, inquisitive and hopefully fun to be around. When used on this site, since so many are still in the closet (not going out in the real world), to me it means relax, don't try to be the woman or man that you are not, just let your natural personality shine through.