PDA

View Full Version : Hair for job interview

vetobob9
07-05-2011, 03:13 AM
If you have hair that goes down to your shoulders, what do you do with it when it comes to driver's license photos and job interviews? I have to do both tomorrow. I used to constantly shave my head but starting a little more than a year ago I decided to allow it to grow. Now it is starting to touch my shoulders. I have gotten complements on it.
Is there anyone here with long hair? Was it long when you applied for your job? Did you wear it down or in a ponytail?

Eryn
07-05-2011, 03:23 AM
That would entirely depend upon the job. If you're an IT guy a ponytail is almost required! :) OTOH, other jobs require more conservative hairstyles. Neatly pulled back is probably best

On a driver's license you have more latitude. If you're going to be driving or using your license for identification while en femme you might want to have your hair in a more femme position for the photos. A little lip gloss might also help produce a picture that will work for either mode.

vetobob9
07-05-2011, 03:44 AM
I'm applying for a loss prevention job.

eluuzion
07-05-2011, 04:19 AM
Most of my jobs required me to look like a respectable back-stabbing executive...dark suit, FBI haircut, etc.

I was going to suggest pulled back in ponytail until you added it is a loss prevention job. In that case, I would suggest wearing a hairnet too, lol. Anti-static clean room booties might be a little overkill...but I would not discount fixing any loose caster wheels on chairs in the conference room during the interview...:heehee:

Feel free to have them call me for a reference. Just email me before the interview and tell me what company I am when answering the phone...:D

Good Luck!

:love:

Danni Renee
07-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Well, being as I am in the military I have no experience doing anything with long hair (sigh)

However I do work with several civilian males with long hair in a professional office setting and it is very acceptable for them to wear it long so long as they keep it pulled back in a pony tail. So as long as it looks neat and presentable I do not think it would be any issue wearing it back. I am not sure about wearing it down for a job interview.

rata
07-05-2011, 04:56 AM
I usually tuck mine behind my ears or i just let hang naturally.

jillcutie
07-05-2011, 05:01 AM
I would defiantly wear it in a ponytail, it looks neater and more presentable :)

donnalee
07-05-2011, 05:46 AM
I would defiantly wear it in a ponytail, it looks neater and more presentable :)Freudian slip (or just the regular kind)?

Karren H
07-05-2011, 05:49 AM
My son had a curly mohawk going for his first interview and apparently they weren't happy with it so they scheduled a second interview to discuss... He cut it off and got the job. Graduates in 10 days. Starts his new job the next day! :):):)

Dress how they want to get the job you want.

Sarasometimes
07-05-2011, 06:28 AM
My son had a curly mohawk going for his first interview and apparently they weren't happy with it so they scheduled a second interview to discuss... He cut it off and got the job. Graduates in 10 days. Starts his new job the next day! :):):)

Dress how they want to get the job you want.

Karren that is fantastic, congrats!! Clearly you did a fine job of raising your son. Your last line sums it up. If you want the job, you have to do what will make them pick you. Now loss prevention could be security in which case not fitting the look may be a selling point. If it is corporateLP then you need to be more conservative.

Two big interviewing bits of advice vetobob;

Research the company so you can relate your skills to thier needs and philosophy.

A job interview is the last place to be humble. Translation, if you don't sound confident about your skill, why would they? Take credit for what you HAVE done and relate it to the info you have about them. Good luck and go in conservative. Another thought, can you really overdress for a job interveiw...?

Cynthia Anne
07-05-2011, 06:28 AM
With the great advice from Eluuzion, I do beleive the company is called the UN-employment office!!!!!!!!!

Gina X
07-05-2011, 06:58 AM
When my son was at University he had a ponytail for a few years until he was about 20 and then went to our barber to get it cut off and the barber reckoned it was just caught in time as apparently ponytails on men speed up the balding process.............

Stephenie S
07-05-2011, 07:11 AM
the barber reckoned it was just caught in time as apparently ponytails on men speed up the balding process.............

Nonsense. Just a barber trying to keep his business going.

Stephie

Emily Ann Brown
07-05-2011, 07:38 AM
I wear mine in a low tied ponytail (only us girls tie them near the top of our heads).

I have had this job for 13 years. If I have to look for a new one..the hair will stay..but I will slick it down and tie the ponytail very tight!

Em

Starr
07-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I have long hair that has not been cut in almost 3 years it is way past my shoulders. I can seperate it in the back and pull it forward and it will stay in front of my shoulders it is that long... Now for your question, when in boy mode I always wear it in a ponytail.. it is in a girls style ponytail high on my head but that is because some of the front was shorter and is not long enough to stay up if I try to wear a low ponytail. I really like the high ponytail anyway and will more then likely keep it at that and I am looking for work so hope to have some interviews in the future in which i will wear my ponytail.

girlygirly
07-05-2011, 01:06 PM
I have hair that is beyond shoulder-length, and whenever I have to do anything which includes the word "presentable", I put it in a ponytail. I love doing the high ponytail, but it's way too girly for most settings. I do it anyway, as much as I can get away with it.

Eryn
07-05-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm applying for a loss prevention job.

In that case, look neat and presentable for the interview, but if the job duties involve watching for shoplifters make a point of how you can alter your appearance so you don't stand out and can therefore do a better job!

You might not want to tell them how far you can alter your appearance! :)

Carla
07-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I agree with most here. A very neat ponytail (low on the back) is perfectly acceptable. Up until I retired one mnth ago (YIPEEEE!!!) I worked at a highly professional organization that had very intimate ties to the Department of Defense. I have not cut my hair in over two years, but a nice business suit and very neat and CLEAN hair pulled back in a ponytail was not a problem. I never raised an eyebrow as a professional civilian working side by side with our OUTSTANDING military.

PS Danni Renee, you go girl. Like you with 22 years in the military, hair cuts high and tight were mine as well and wigs a must, but there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!! LOL

trixie
07-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Low pony tail, middle part with some product to clean up fly-aways.

Remember though, it's all about attitude with interviews. The only reason to do anything with your hair is to keep it from being an issue. If you're on your game they shouldn't really notice your hair.

danielle40I
07-05-2011, 08:09 PM
I understand all too well how traumatic cuttin your hair can seem. My avatar picture is probably 5yrs old and that hair was all mine.The job I had at the time didn't require I cut it. However, a career change most certainly did. Allas, I made the choice to either eat and pay my mortgage (cut my hair) or remain stuck in a dead end career working for a big box home improvement chain. I chose the latter. Needless to say I miss my long wavey locks.

Jeannie
07-05-2011, 08:48 PM
I used to have my hair long back in the 60's and 70's, although I never applied for a job at the bank I still was able to find work. I would always wear my hair in a ponytail while I was at work mainly because it was always getting in the way and a ponytail was just more functional. I would think in the loss prevention world someone with long hair might be a good thing. Since you wouldn't look like a cop you just casually walk around the store (or where ever) and people would think you were just another shopper, unless you are working at a women's clothing store or something. The object is to make it look neat and well groomed not hanging down in your face. It gives the interviewer the impression that you are more business like rather than the lead singer in a metal band. There is nothing wrong about being in a metal band but that is not the position you are interviewing for.

jennCD
07-06-2011, 01:41 AM
I've always kept my hair at a length I felt comfortable with, which was normally well past my shoulders. I've never had an issue with it and I've been working in a fairly conservative "well-groomed man"-type profession for a few decades.

If there was ever a problem, chances are I'd be quick to pack up my things and move out to a new field.

AmyGaleRT
07-06-2011, 02:19 AM
I've been growing mine out; my fiancee likes it long, fortunately for me! I got a new job as a software developer just a few months back. They never said a word about my hair during the interview.

I only put it up in a ponytail while in the bath right now, but I may put it up more often once it grows out to the length I want it.

eluuzion
07-06-2011, 02:39 AM
If you want to dramatically increase your odds in a job interview (particularly if the manager, etc. is conducting the interview, try some of these tips:

If it is appropriate, wear a light blue shirt.
Try to assume the same conversational "pace” and style as the interviewer, such as the
loudness, speed, pitch, etc.
Display the same gestures, body positioning and other non-verbal cues as those of your interviewer. ( slouching in chair, crossing legs, etc.). The objective is to try and mirror him/her as closely as possible without the person becoming aware of it. It is a powerful subliminal(ish) technique that will increase your chances of the person relating to you and liking you. Regardless of what people claim or disclaim here, people “like” the people that are the most “like themselves“. People tend to hire people they "like".

If you have no problems with persuasion techniques and influencing/manipulating behavior...there are many more ways to “count cards” during an interview.

If you want a “yes” answer, ask three small, seemingly insignificant questions that you are sure will be answered with a ‘yes”...before asking the question you really want a “yes” answer to. It can be as simple as restating the obvious (“is that your receptionist?”...” ) or “I just love sunny days, how about you? It does not matter what the questions are as long as you get three quick “yes” responses. When you ask the “real” question after that, chances are good that you will receive a positive response (‘yes’).

Ok, enough padding the pile...good luck!:heehee:

good luck!:hugs:

:love:

5150 Girl
07-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I've had long hair most of my life. But then again, I'm a rocker, and it comes across.
AS formy last DL photo, I had my hair long and down, and added a bit of eyeliner, and a hint of lipgloss. It's very androginous. It's a pic I can presernt no matter if I'm drab or fem.

KarenCDFL
07-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I have had a pony-tail for the last 12 years or so. And yes, I am an IT Guy in my day job!.

No one has ever made a comment about my hair nor the small silver ball studs I keep in my top ear holes 24/7. I have even gone in to see clients with the studs and my little hoops. The only comment I got on that was that they thought is was a good look with the pony-tail!

I am sure that some employers have a dress/hair code. Thats what you will have to ask about. The main thing is to just keep it very neat.

Stacey Summer
07-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I wish I had the patience to grow my hair. I've got naturally thick hair so it tends to look like an non-curly afro after a while and at that point it's too short to slick back and too long to look neat when brushed forward =( Also my SO doesn't like it, lol.

As for the OP I'd say wear your hair in a ponytail, looking neat and presentable in an interview is always better than doing something drastic to try and fit into any image you think would be the norm in that area of employment.

Jamie001
07-06-2011, 09:49 PM
I've been growing mine out; my fiancee likes it long, fortunately for me! I got a new job as a software developer just a few months back. They never said a word about my hair during the interview.

I only put it up in a ponytail while in the bath right now, but I may put it up more often once it grows out to the length I want it.

Software Engineers are expected to be different and to "think out of the box". They are expected to have long hair, earrings, tats, etc...