PDA

View Full Version : My boss at work: This IS a nice polish! Why aren't YOU wearing it?

Violetgray
07-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Yeah, just casually!

I'm not usually a nail polish person, I almost NEVER wear it but I've recently fallen in love with the 'crackle' look

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_H4ypI9o7lX8/TUaC7oXgdBI/AAAAAAAACMg/x-xEKGWpFgA/s1600/OPI%2BShatter.jpg

It dries in about 5 seconds or so and I brought some in for my boss to try. She then asks me honestly, "Why aren't you wearing this?" I was stunned! She knows about me but I never thought I'd be allowed to do such a thing!

Now I do have another supervisor who has said she doesn't want "Violet" at work. But she won't be here for the next couple of days!

I told my other boss that I didn't think I was allowed to wear polish to work, and she said that she didn't see anything forbidding it in our dress code guidelines.

So.. I'm trying to decide whether to do it! My job takes me all over the building too, so many people will see it as well..

DonniDarkness
07-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Start off simple.

Clear to be exact...then move into your wild colors...if anyone says anything about the clear then you will know it safe to wear what color you want?

IDK violet just trying to help, when my clients see my fingernails painted its usually because of the over-spray from my HVLP gun while finishing my cabinets or furniture! I had a cop friend of mine ask me why i painted my fingernails one day...i had to look down at my hands to see what he was talking about....apparently the over-spray from the paint came off half my hand and stayed on my nails partially when i washed them before going to lunch, i was just praying i wouldnt start blushing red....

Are your nails that long all the time? i think if they are that long in guy mode then it wouldn't really raise any brows to see them in a nice color.

-Donni-

Niya W
07-07-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm wondering does your boss think you are going to transition .

DonnaT
07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
go ahead and crackle your nails, it doesn't mean you are presenting as "Violet"

Cynthia Anne
07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
I wish I was your boss! I would exspect VIOLET to be there everyday! In color! Hugs!:)

5150 Girl
07-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Today, clearcoat, maybe with a hint of glitter
tomoarow, a french manicure,
down the road, crackle!
and if manager "B" gets pissed, just say manager "A" said it wasn't aginst drescode.

Chickhe
07-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Personally, I wouldn't do it. Its a culture shock to some people and it could come back in ways you don't expect if the one who said no finds out. Its like me telling my kid not to do something (it doesn't mean its okay when I'm not looking).

Violetgray
07-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Update:

Just got back from lunch. Now through roughly half the work day with my polish on. A few interesting things..

My nails are silver with the Opi : Shatter polish over it in dark purple. However, since the silver is so light the dark purple polish came out "EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME" blue.

I was talking to one of the other people who work in my building while we were on the elevator and she did a double take but didn't say anything. She met me as Violet first, though.

My friend Holly who works a floor above me I visited briefly to show my nails and was like "Awesome! Let's show Molly---then again, maybe not. I don't know if she'd be into it.."

My Co-worker complimented me on my polish, and asked if she could try it.

I went to Lexington Market, this large area filled with fried chicken, fish, chinese food, just about everything. I got a fruit salad and the lady said to her co-worker "his fingernails are blue." She responded "He trims his eyebrows too" Of course, this was in Spanish so they didn't think I knew.

Anything else interesting happens I'll keep you posted!

DonnaT
07-10-2011, 07:47 AM
:^5:

Angelofsomekind
07-10-2011, 10:50 AM
My wife just bought some of the crackle for us, it's pretty cool!

Barbra P
07-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi Violet

I agree 100% with Chickhe. I had a similar situation at work a few years ago, well maybe just a few more years than just a few. It had nothing to do with TG anything, the Manager allowed me to do certain things in the name of customer service, I had much more leeway in making customers happy, a higher limit on how much I could discount items, and I could accept returns beyond the time limit stipulated in the rules, all in the name of keeping the customer happy because a happy customer is a returning customer. The Assistant Manager on the other hand was more a strictly by the rules manager. I was able to function as an assistant manager when the Manager was around, but when THE Manager wasn’t around I had to watch my P’s and Q’s or the Assistant Manager made life utterly miserable for me.

I dreaded going into work on days I knew the Manger wasn’t going to be in and I can tell you that you don’t want to work in a place where one supervisor resents what another supervisor allows you to do.