PDA

View Full Version : Kids Know About the Divorce

Christy_M
07-10-2011, 08:00 PM
My wife and I told our kids this mnorning that Mommy and Daddy aren't going to be living together any more. My Daughter said she was sad that Daddy was leaving . My Son echoed what she said but didn't seem to have any emotion about it. The daughter is 5 and the son is 6 1/2.

After this, my wife took them to breakfast while I girled up to go to my house then ungirled when I got there so the kids could come by. They loved the place and their new rooms and the yard. Any thoughts of sadness went away for now. I am sure when they are at home and I am not there they will get the gravity of it but right now, they are doing OK.

My wife and I are in such a good place with this. The kids know we are still good friends and will always love them forever and they seem to be OK with that, too. I will be 100% out of that house next Sunday and off and running in my new life.

Alexiz
07-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Life isn't without its hardships, everyone could tell you that.

I'm glad you're making positive progress throughout it all, though. It's important to try and keep those important to you happy, but it's not wrong to make changes to make yourself happier either.

Try to remain optimistic about things. Change, negative or positive, always opens new doors and can be exciting. I'm sure you'll be fine. c:

Inna
07-10-2011, 08:36 PM
A lesson learned from my own life. When my father left I was 7, then this transgender thing happened just as it did for you, I have done everything in my power with my kid,to prevent what happened to me 37 years ago, guilt I felt as a child for my fathers leaving. I made sure he understands that none of this is should be a burden on him, that my ex and I splitting has absolutely no bearing on our love towards him but at the same he should not feel our well being, somehow hinging on his decisions nor any requirement of him fixing anything for us. Also his very clear understanding of my being transgender. I had very candid talks, heart to heart, about my life and how I could no longer withhold this secret and had to face the truth. Openness, honesty and love are the key ingredients to understanding.

But as I see from your posts you are doing everything as the best parent would, love!

Eryn
07-10-2011, 08:56 PM
It seems like your children have the most important thing, two parents who love them. I hate to see marriages come apart, but at least in this one you remain friends.

renee k
07-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Christy,

Your doing the right thing. My kids( son &daughter) were about six years older than yours at the time of my divorce. I vowed to stay close to them and it really paid off. We're closer than ever. The other thing your doing right is having an good post marriage relationship with your wife. The last thing your children need emotionally is to be
brought into bitter and ugly divorce.

Renee

Melody Moore
07-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Your doing right thing.
I really don't have anything further to add to this.

:hugs:

AKAMichelle
07-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I hope you and your wife are able to stay friends at least enough to help the kids through this situation. I think the next decisions are the ones which really affect the kids. So hopefully both of you will continue to put the kids first and keep your fights from the kids. Good Luck to you both.

Rianna Humble
07-11-2011, 12:31 AM
H Christy, thank you for sharing what must have been a rather bittersweet day with us and I'm glad your children took it so well.

It has already been said, though it bears repeating that you and your wife are doing the right thing with respect to the children.

I see you say that you ungirled for the first visit of your children,do you have any plans for when you will let them know about your gender?

Finally, good luck for Sunday - it will be the first day of the rest of your life. I'm sure as it gets closer it will be exciting and a little scary, but please never forget that you are not alone as long as you are part of the cd.com family :hugs: