PDA

View Full Version : Work uniform

Jskylar
07-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm new here hi!
My situation is about work. I work in the marina which is quite a male dominated job. I love it there and I think my work colleagues have just assumed I am lesbian.
At the moment I bind and wear greasy shirts. But soon we are to get uniforms. My heart sunk as I heard my boss brought male and female uniform instead of unisex uniform as I have worn before. So we are wearing tank tops.
I'm not sure what to do of this situation. Summer is coming up and so, in such a physical job I might have to wear a tank top anyway. I am just praying that it is in our work colors and not pink.
I am also hoping that tank top is going to be a nice top and not a little strappy top. I am going to wear a T-kingdom sports binder underneath it anyway. There is no way my job can dominate what I wear under it.
So that's my long story just wanted to know what anyone else has to suggest. Or their opinion.

mistunderstood
07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
I would like to say hi and welcome to the forum. I think if you work in a marina and do a lot of heavy work your boss might not be stupid and buy a thin strapped shirt. I could be wrong about that. Could you talk to him and see the shirt before you need to wear it. If it is thinned strapped maybe you could ask for the male shirt. Tell him you are afraid of the shirt being to revealing and or you do not want to expos yourself to too much sun. Maybe you could lie and say your family has a history of skin cancer.
On a different note when you reach 10 post's you can request to join the boy's club house. In the club it is a more private area to ask questions and post on more topics that relate to more personnel things.
Again welcome. If you have questions please feel free to PM me.

Plain-Jane
07-12-2011, 02:03 PM
I am not TG but my work once provided me with a female work uniform (fitted shirt type thing) and I requested that I have the male (plain normal) style shirt instead and they accomodated me just based on personal preference. I always kept myself looking neat and tidy and they had no problems with making me comfortable and this was in a job where appearance meant a lot (as I worked in customer service)

Your employer might be a lot more accomodating than you assume - just ask if you can have the male, if they refuse just ask them politely why not...

[EDIT] I actually think the fact I am a straight GG (and a little girly in a way - makeup and appearance) makes my experience even more showing of how accepting employers can be :)

nikkijo
07-13-2011, 07:36 AM
jskylar, i am MTF and a marine repair yard owner... if the owner is smart it will be a normal tank or more of a muscle tank style. some what gender neutral and will be in the businesses colors . and if your working out side id say work on the tan.. it might not be ideal but it is a uniform and you only need ti wear it from starting time to quitting time... personally.. id seriously LOVE to have a fellow employee who understood where I come from in terms of gender identity...

and trust me greasy isnt the word for it.... ruined ismore like it.... on the off chance you end up accidently end up getting stains on something nice... (we all know how 3M 5200 gets everywhere for week) brake cleaner and carb cleaner are your friends......

if it were me id be short sleve shirt and the cheepest pair of jeans that will stand the abuse. or a light weight set of cover alls because it ceases to amaize me just how nasty boat gets and they are 20 times cleaner than a car....

good luck...

Jskylar
07-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Hey guys thanks for the responses, I just wanted to vent out some frustration. Thanks alot NikKi I'm really surprised to come across another marina worker. haha not sure why though. I just wear black carpis and any shirt really. All end up ruined by the end of the day anyway.