PDA

View Full Version : is it normal for a guy to compliment ladys

crossdrezzer1
07-14-2011, 07:06 AM
I was wondering if its normal for a man to tell a lady something like "cute skirt,,, or thats a pretty blouse",, I caught myself saying cute skirt to a lady i was talking to yesterday and after we parted ways I thought to myself should I have said that,, it was cute,, it had layers and the print was fun and she smiled and said awww,, thanks... do you think she thought to herself after I left,, that was odd of a man saying that?

Karren H
07-14-2011, 07:16 AM
It's normal for me to say that.

KrystalA
07-14-2011, 07:19 AM
I complement women on their clothes all the time, and it always gets a smile and a thank you.

Steph.TS
07-14-2011, 07:20 AM
I don't think it is, though I find myself wanting to compliment on things like hair, nail polish, clothes etc... but haven't said a thing as I don't want to stand out. I mean I haven't heard any guys saying that's a nice dress you're wearing even though it is quite lovely. I think crossdressing gives us an appreciation for the style of women's clothes that most men take for granted (or we might simply be more willing to acknowledge our appreciation of the beauty/style of the clothes where as most men try not to go down that path).

Cynthia Anne
07-14-2011, 07:27 AM
I do it all the time! So yeah it's normal for me! But who said I was normal!!

Dawn cd
07-14-2011, 07:58 AM
It's certainly normal for one woman to compliment another on a cute outfit. The fact that you did it indicates that this transformation we're involved in goes deeper than just clothes.

Annie D
07-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Absolutely! The problem that we face is that the compliment cannot be construed as a come on. Yes, I do it all the time but I also try to include why I like the outfit, the accessory or shoes. Such remarks like, "I like that top you are wearing, that design/color really suits you. Where did you find it?" Asking where they bought/found it takes the edge off the compliment plus if it really struck my eye, I am interested in finding out if it looks as good on me!

suzy1
07-14-2011, 08:27 AM
I think a lot of men will not complement a women because It just does not cross there minds. Or they would feel stupid, and embarrassed, especially in front of there mates. [Or buddies if you are American]
Which is a shame because I cannot believe a woman would not be flattered?
I have complemented a woman on her dress before and the smile I received back made my day.

SUZY

BRANDYJ
07-14-2011, 08:36 AM
I know I do. Mostly it's a woman I know from work or other social setting. But once in awhile it might be a customer or a woman I had reason to converse with. I think for the most part, they enjoy hearing a compliment from anyone as long as it does not come across as a pass or sexual.

larry
07-14-2011, 08:50 AM
" I " think it is a normal and nice thing to do.After all Women and Gurls dress to look good and a compliment says they do look good. Now-here is the kicker--Do NOT do this if you are at work in a Company where Sexual Harrasment is all anyone thinks of. Any woman you have ever run afoul of has the chance to ruin you.

danielle40I
07-14-2011, 09:01 AM
I've done it many times...it brings a bright spot to any girls' day...doesn't it girls?

Bernadina
07-14-2011, 09:34 AM
I've done it and it's always been met with appreciation.

nicki
07-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I,ve done it as well and havent been looked at as a freak, but with a warm smile and thank you.

tracigirl_tv
07-14-2011, 09:50 AM
I enjoy giving a compliment to someone who's wearing something that has caught my eye. I actually hope she WILL say to herself, "hmmm, that's different, coming from a guy" Could be the start of an interesting conversation :)

xoxo

Traci

anonymousinmaryland
07-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I enjoy giving a compliment to someone who's wearing something that has caught my eye. I actually hope she WILL say to herself, "hmmm, that's different, coming from a guy" Could be the start of an interesting conversation

My thoughts exactly.

Claire Cook
07-14-2011, 09:59 AM
I've been doing it more and more as I have been dressing more; perhaps we appreciate women's clothes more the more we wear them. And now that my ears are pierced, I take special notice of earrings. I always get a nice smile and a thank-you. Then there are those moments (few as they are) when I get a compliment -- makes you want to compliment other girls more!

Barbra P
07-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Recently while shopping at Sam’s Club, not a place where one expects to find haute couture, I spotted a woman in a beautiful floral sun dress. We ended up on the same isle and I commented that I thought her dress looked absolutely lovely and I hadn't seen seen such a pretty sun dress in years. She didn't say much more than “Why thank you”, but wow did her face ever light up and the smile said a whole lot more.

Then at my Mother’s Nursing Home I saw one of the office staff, possibly a social worker, wearing what had to be at least 4” black pumps and as I passed her I said “Boy, are your feet going to be glad when you’re dead.” She laughed and said she’d take that as a compliment and then added that she loved wearing heels and always wore them to work and generally any time she was going out. I had a hard time not saying “Yeah, I know the feeling.”

EllieOPKS
07-14-2011, 10:35 AM
I think everyone should make it a habit to compliment someone everyday. I make a conscious effort to compliment people. I enjoy seeing them smile.

Marie-Elise
07-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I was brought up to my boss for sexual harassment by one of my employees early in my career. The reason: I had walked by her desk to talk and before leaving said "Nice blouse." That was 20 years ago and I have not complimented a woman (except my wife or GF) on anything they were wearing since then.

Kaz
07-14-2011, 11:10 AM
My experience is that when you do it is really appreciated as it so rarely happens!

Lynn Marie
07-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I like what Suzy said. So many people are so self-centered and turned inward that they never think to compliment and encourage others. They seem to think that they will get attention and score points by impressing others with their cars, boats, homes, jewelry, youth, cosmetic surgery, and brains, when actually just a little recognition of their fellow man and woman will often make a impression that will last a lifetime.

Sheila11
07-14-2011, 11:50 AM
I do it all the time. I was looking for a parking spot in a Kohl's the other day and saw a young lady in an adorable dress. Had to hold myself back from chasing her down to complement her dress and find out where she got it. That might have been going too far.

Eryn
07-14-2011, 12:08 PM
I hold back compliments at work due to the sexual harassment program that assumes that all men are latent perverts. You just don't comment on anyone's appearance if you are male! In public and with friends I'm freer with the compliments.

Alice B
07-14-2011, 01:14 PM
I do it all the time and get positive feedback.

Joan_CD
07-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Eryn is right. In our sexual harassment training the lawyers told us not to complement women because it can lead to charges. They told us we are guilty until proven innocent! I once had a staff member receive very bad news and she was crying. I stood a foot away and tried to reassure her until a female coworker could help her. How sad our politically correct society has become.

Brenda Locke
07-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Why not. If it looks good on the person theirs no harm in saying so.

Brenda.

GingerLeigh
07-14-2011, 02:27 PM
I tell my wife how what she's wearing looks nice or how wonderful her ensemble is. I never think about it, I just blurt it out in normal conversation. As for the women I work with, nope. For one, none of them wear anything remotely attractive to work. For another, one time I complimented a female co-worker on how great she looked after losing weight, and embarrassed she didn't talk to me for weeks (which I still think is kind of weird). People are funny. Anyway, I don't think it's normal for a "non-crossdressing" male to compliment a woman's wardrobe. It would be too "girly" for him to notice something like that and he wouldn't want to be under suspicion.

Ginger

PrettyFlowingGown
07-14-2011, 03:53 PM
I compliment women sometimes on their clothes, but only if what they are wearing is really nice. I've complimented customers in my supermarket and they have no problem. A young lady came in the other day and I liked her long dress, I said to her "I love your dress, its very pretty", she just said "thankyou very much", and i said "where'd you buy it?". she said "Forever new in the city". I said "Must check it out". But, I dont care what people think of my reaction. I'm totally comfy with who I am.

Vickie_CDTV
07-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Joan has an excellent point. When I was growing up, sometime around the age where we could/would be entering the workforce (around the time sexual harassment was becoming a big issue in the media) we were told over and over again never point out or mention a female coworker's appearance because it is such a potential lightning rod. Their point they said is there is nothing to be professionally gained by doing so and it only takes one woman to take it the wrong way and the consequences could be huge. As innocent as it may be it only takes one loon and they could cause no end of trouble for you and it just isn't worth it. (As others have said, at work men are presumed guilty until proven innocent in such matters.)

Frédérique
07-14-2011, 05:40 PM
is it normal for a guy to compliment ladys

Is it normal? Probably not – I feel a bit shy about complimenting a lady, mainly because I know she’s not expecting it. That being said, it’s fun to compliment a woman in front of her husband, making her feel good, and making HIM look bad! I complimented a woman on her beautiful nails not too long ago – I’m pretty sure she was a lady, but don’t hold me to it...
:doh:

gerri ray
07-14-2011, 06:01 PM
It;s perfectly normal. I compliment women's attire all the time. It puts a smile on their face.

StephanieC
07-14-2011, 06:18 PM
It's certainly normal for one woman to compliment another on a cute outfit. The fact that you did it indicates that this transformation we're involved in goes deeper than just clothes.

Interesting. I was just talking to one of the girls at the office today about this. She said that a woman's attitude immediately changes when she knows someone is gay (or equivalent) because they are no longer a threat. They are more vulnerable, but also willing to discuss things they would not ordinarily discuss with guys.

So, if you are not a threat, these sort of comments would be accept for what they are. Otherwise, they may be interpreted through a filter.

Shananigans
07-14-2011, 06:34 PM
It's nice when a man notices our attire. Usually men will say, "You look nice today." But, they can't exactly put together what you did that looks really good haha. Compliments that we generally look nice are always good. But, the best compliments are specific like "that dress really looks nice on you" or "I really like that color of blouse on you." (I'm from Alabama....I say blouse). It's a bit more "abnormal" to say "cute dress" or "cute shoes." My gay best friend says this a lot, but he's pretty much the only one. Most guys just say they how whatever article of clothing I have on looks on me.. I wouldn't automatically think a guy was gay just because he said "cute dress, girl!"...but, I might find it a bit more amusing than the other style of compliments. Either way, all compliments are nice as long as you aren't being a creeper.

sara.s
07-14-2011, 06:58 PM
If a co worker looks beautiful/pretty, then I only say "you look good today". To be on the safer side, I add "today" just to imply that "i don't notice you everyday". It also matters how you say it. If you say it with wild open eyes, she may perceive it as a harassment.

Also, I don't think you could be charged for harassment for saying "You are dressed very professional", because what follows this comment is generally "Are you meeting any clients?". Even otherwise, I think this is okay.

Billie Jean
07-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Every girl likes to feel pretty and complimenting them is reassurance. I say things like that to girls all the time and they seem to really like it. Billie Jean

Adriennegrl
07-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Lots of good opinions, not sure I can add much. I think most guys say 'you look nice', or 'that dress is hot'. A girl to girl comment would be more like 'nice shoes girl', or 'cute blouse', etc. I've almost slipped w/ the latter more than once :)

I do flirt w/ women sometimes. Like the bank teller today, she's a gorgeous middle aged woman. I often compliment her and her smile lights me up.

boardpuppy
07-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Complimenting this one teller always brings a smile to her face and you know it makes me feel good also. It was really worth the effort the day she did $5000 plus damage to her truck and the smile after that conversation was really worth the effort.

Speck
07-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Here's another perspective from a GG...

In my lifetime, I've been very fortunate to get many compliments from men. However, I would classify the types of compliments into two main categories:

1. They have an agenda
2. There's no agenda but they don't notice enough details to be specific about why something looks nice/good.

The CD in my life draws attention to himself when he compliments a woman because "he knows too much" and does it too frequently. If you're trying to stay under the radar, you're best bet is to hand out the compliments sparingly and when you do, don't be specific. Just say something like...you look lovely today.

On the other hand, if you don't care about being "found out" then by all means, everybody loves compliments.

Speck

eluuzion
07-15-2011, 01:42 AM
If by “normal” you mean socially “appropriate”, I would say yes, as long as you do not drool when you are making the compliment, :D

I always acknowledge things & people I find attractive. I feel there is always a way to compliment somebody without appearing to be “Chester-the-Molester“. I find that most people can readily distinguish the difference between a genuine compliment and a personal agenda in play.

:love:

prene
07-15-2011, 01:49 AM
i do it all the time.

sometimes_miss
07-15-2011, 05:14 AM
We had this discussion at work; basically, whenever a man makes a nice comment on a woman's attire, it simply indicates sexual interest, but it usually goes over the woman's head, because she's so often discussing attire with other women, so she just takes it as a compliment on her taste. For us, the discussion came up about comments on shoes; the vast majority of men don't give a crap about woman's shoes, other than those few fetishists who are into feet, but those are few and far between. So when a guy tells her she has nice shoes, it just means we want to have sex with her. It became a standing joke to tell one of the girls that she had nice shoes to see what kind of response she gave before she realized that it only meant we were expressing covert sexual desire. It does make for laughs at work though, sometimes. Basically, women LOVE compliments about the details of her looks; simply saying they look great doesn't do it, but compliment a piece of clothing or jewelry she picked out herself? They eat it up. And, I think we don't do it often enough. That's my new goal; tell at least one woman a day how nice something that most would seem trivial, looks on her. Just my effort to make the world a happier place.

Jenny Gurl
07-15-2011, 06:09 AM
I do it when I see something I think is cute or makes them look good, but I tell them why. "Those are cool looking earrings, I don't think I've seen anything like them". The way they are designed reminds me of X. This is usually followed by a genuine smile, and a story of where they got them, why they chose them, and the boast that they were a good deal because there was a sale. They usually take it as a genuine compliment because they know me, and know I really mean it. If something makes them look bad, I keep it to myself because I believe in positivity. Clothing is a little harder to complement without risking getting in trouble but again I tell them why. "That dress is so cute, the design or pattern looks like X and reminds me of a day at the beach". Obviously I would never say, "I love the way the low cut V shows off your cleavage, you've really got it going on girlfriend". That would be specific to their body not the artists pattern, and an HR suicide statement, even if it were true. I believe when a girl goes to all the trouble to pick out patterns to buy, match them, coordinate them with shoes, handbag, nails, etc. she has earned a compliment, and I can hardly refrain from giving her one because I know how hard she worked for it. A regular guy would probably say "you look nice today", but like Shananigans said above, if you specify why they are more likely to believe the complement is real and not just a cordial part of the conversation. In a world where ladies are more and more dressing down for comfort, I really appreciate the ones who go to all the effort to look really nice every now and then.

Steph.TS
07-15-2011, 07:16 AM
We had this discussion at work; basically, whenever a man makes a nice comment on a woman's attire, it simply indicates sexual interest, but it usually goes over the woman's head, because she's so often discussing attire with other women, so she just takes it as a compliment on her taste. For us, the discussion came up about comments on shoes; the vast majority of men don't give a crap about woman's shoes, other than those few fetishists who are into feet, but those are few and far between. So when a guy tells her she has nice shoes, it just means we want to have sex with her. It became a standing joke to tell one of the girls that she had nice shoes to see what kind of response she gave before she realized that it only meant we were expressing covert sexual desire. It does make for laughs at work though, sometimes. Basically, women LOVE compliments about the details of her looks; simply saying they look great doesn't do it, but compliment a piece of clothing or jewelry she picked out herself? They eat it up. And, I think we don't do it often enough. That's my new goal; tell at least one woman a day how nice something that most would seem trivial, looks on her. Just my effort to make the world a happier place.
the only women I deal with really are at work, and I want to be very careful that my compliements, don't out me, or aren't interpreted as sexual harrassment. those are the 2 reasons I keep my compliments to myself.

linda allen
07-15-2011, 07:21 AM
I was brought up to my boss for sexual harassment by one of my employees early in my career. The reason: I had walked by her desk to talk and before leaving said "Nice blouse." That was 20 years ago and I have not complimented a woman (except my wife or GF) on anything they were wearing since then.

Yes, you have to watch who you say what to, especially at some jobs. Even someone walking by who wasn't part of the conversation can get you in trouble. A friend of mine got a two week suspension without pay for saying something to a friend at work. Someone else was walking by, heard it, and turned him in.

Another thing to watch for is the jealous boy friend. Some guys can't stand anyone talking to "their woman".

NicoleScott
07-15-2011, 08:33 AM
When I compliment, it's usually a general statement like "you look really nice" rather than " I love those high heels" or "I love that lipstick color".

Sarah Doepner
07-15-2011, 09:52 AM
It's a different conversation depending on where you happen to be. In the workplace you have many serious concerns that have to factored in to avoid HR issues. In public talking to strangers while shopping is probably not normal, but can be done without compromising yourself or embarrassing the woman. In a other social settings, like a bar, it would probably be taken as a pickup line.

I've complimented women on their shoes, clothing, hair and accessories, but not frequently. I tend to be very restrained unless I know the person or see them on a regular basis. The receptionist at the Doctor's office always has something cute on and while I don't use the word cute, I let her know she was successful in putting together a pleasing outfit. With practice and restraint I've gotten better and always seem to get a "thanks" and a smile.

BillieJoEllen
07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
I will often times compliment a woman on what she is wearing or her hairstyle. I've never had any regrets about that. I don't quite get the sexual harrassment think when a woman is complimented but I know it happens. I've never perceived that a woman 'took it' wrong when I've complimented her.

Vickie_CDTV
07-15-2011, 03:27 PM
I will often times compliment a woman on what she is wearing or her hairstyle. I've never had any regrets about that. I don't quite get the sexual harrassment think when a woman is complimented but I know it happens. I've never perceived that a woman 'took it' wrong when I've complimented her.

Problem is, it only takes one goofball to take an innocent complement the wrong way and there can be no end of trouble for the man. Of course the vast majority of women would never do that, but it only takes that "one"; if it were I no way would I risk it at a workplace in this day and age.

Of course, this kind of silliness minimizes real sexual harassment and in the end makes it harder for real victims to get justice, but I digress...

Adrienne Heels
07-15-2011, 08:30 PM
I think if you do it in a friendly way with a nice smile, there is no problem.

donnatracey
07-15-2011, 11:10 PM
The consensus seems to be you have to be very careful complimenting a woman in the work place. Since I'm retired I guess I can compliment away......:D

amy_scda
07-16-2011, 05:23 PM
I guess it depends on how confident you are.

Jeannie
07-16-2011, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=crossdrezzer1;2544292]I was wondering if its normal for a man to tell a lady something like "cute skirt,,, or thats a pretty blouse",,

There is nothing wrong with complimenting a lady on her dress or her general appearance, (except when you say things like "Yo nice boobs you have there babe"). The fact that you even noticed at all is a huge boost to their self confidence just as it is with us when we get complimented. I complemented a lady at work one time on her shoes which happened to be a very pretty pair of strappy heels and she smile and said thank you and then asked me if I liked strappy type shoes to which I answered yes that they really showed off a woman's legs and that they were also very sexy looking. After that our relationship took a good turn because were did not get along very well prior to that and I think her home life really sucked so attention from another man that was positive was a good thing for her. I say don't be afraid to compliment on a woman's appearance but do it with sincerity.

wendy68
07-16-2011, 09:33 PM
I compliment on clothing all the time and have always had positive feedback

sissystephanie
07-16-2011, 09:46 PM
As a young man many years ago, I was taught that complimenting a woman on her clothes was very appropiate!! Of course I was a crossdresser at the time, so it didn't bother me at all. Most women like to be complimented, and unless you make the comments in a rather derogatory way you would never hear of any sexual harassment charges!! I have been doing this sort of thing for well over 50 years ( been a CD for over 70 years) and have never had a negative reaction. As I said, women like to be complimented!! Actually, I think CD's do too!!

donnatracey
07-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Ever since I started going to the salon for manicures and pedis I seem to notice a woman's nails a lot more now. If anything, that is what I'd most likely compliment. I assume women would have no objections in that area.....as long as I don't say something like...."very nice hooker" nails, etc I should be OK.....:D