PDA

View Full Version : Cold Turkey

Anneliese
07-14-2011, 04:08 PM
I love dressing. I also love shopping. However, a recent job change and income reduction requires I go cold turkey on buying/shopping. It's been a week and so far so good. I mean, I have a TON of great clothes. I don't NEED any more. However, shopping is a rush which is going to be hard to give up. In addition, at my last job people loved me and accepted (or said nothing) when I wore women's jeans etc. New job is in a (theoretically) friendlier environment, but won't know until it's put to the test.

Has anyone else ever felt the need to go "cold turkey"?

Karren H
07-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Not the need!! But I get forced to by my and everyone else's schedules. Lucky for me I can always go play more ice hockey!! Vent my pent up feminine anger by knocking people on their asses ! Lol.

DonnaT
07-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Only when I quit smoking

danielle40I
07-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Anne, a girl has to do what a girl has to do...freeze the credit card in an ice cube tray. Then Karen will try to skate on it..slap shot!

Karren H
07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Anne, a girl has to do what a girl has to do...freeze the credit card in an ice cube tray. Then Karen will try to skate on it..slap shot!

Too bad I shoot like a girl!! Lol.

prene
07-15-2011, 01:07 AM
Only felt the need for a few hrs.

donnalee
07-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Only felt the need for a few hrs.A few hours is enough to bring you close to bankruptcy if you do it right!
As a retired shopaholic I try to keep those urges down to a dull roar, but occasionally they escape the cage. When this occurs I try to subdue them as best I can, but the sight of a supposed bargain is to me like blood to a shark. I try to beat it off with the oar of practicality, but it doesn't always work. I've managed to get rid of a serious eBay addiction, but have yet to lose my desire to shop; something that I can afford less & less. I need to find another outlet; I hope you can do so as well.
Donna

Heather Anne
09-05-2011, 01:47 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I took about a $1000 per month pay cut starting January 2011. I still at times cant stop buying clothes and that is the problem.

Cynthia Anne
09-05-2011, 07:20 PM
I have my share of hard luck stories so I've been there a few times also! But oh well! I've got to get my nails done so I can go shopping tomorow!:) Hugs!

Megan72
09-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Cold turkey is not in my vocabulary unless its the day after thanksgiving. Karen I have met girls that shoot with me in combat pistols that make me cry, if you shoot a puxk like they shoot bullets then look out goalies. Kellie

t-girlxsophie
09-06-2011, 03:21 AM
My best friend in work,Sam (GG) loooves shopping,were so like in that respect,but like you Anneliese she has decided to cut her spending down,till next year,not quite total "Cold Turkey" but she vastly reduced her spends (after some haggling LOL)I told her I would be proud of her if she kept it up,and I believe she will,Last night we were working together and we talked about My recent purchases,(we love hearing what each other has bought),Told her was going clothes shopping today,"Bitch" she said,deserved that:heehee:

Shes been told she's shopaholic,but I defend her by saying as long as she provides for her wee girl,pays her bills and has a home over their head,she deserves to have new things,but maybe we all at one time or another should slow down and enjoy the Thing's we may have forgotten about or don't get to wear as often.

Sophie

Tina B.
09-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Hard times happen, save what you can and hit the thrift stores, it's better than not shopping at all, window shopping is free, but only if you can resist buying.
Tina B.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
09-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Like Tina said, thrift shops are a decent option. I know plenty of GGs who pull together amazing outfits based on what they find at thrift stores. Another option is if you have more clothes than you really need now, find a nice resell shop that takes trade ins for store credit and see if there's not something you can give up in exchange for something new and fun that catches your eye.

Kittyagain
09-06-2011, 11:22 AM
There is shopping, then there is buying. :) Shopping is free.

Kitty