PDA

View Full Version : The one thing about hormones that WILL bother me

Myojine
07-16-2011, 08:23 PM
I've been reading the effects of female hormones and it all just makes me smile and think "Its gonna happen soon for me i swear on it!"
The more research i do the more "Real" it seems to me.
But theres just one NAGGING part about this
One of the effects... pfft this is probably just a petty detail and could probably be so minor its not even noticeable...
BUT
I've read on a few lists that
"decrease in muscular power"
Or something along the lines that female hormones will less the strength I have.
Now im no mucsle head. far from. im skinny and would be denied health insurance for being underweight. Infact my military unit ordered me to gain roughly 15lbs...
BUT
Ive got some muscular power on my light frame.
I'm a fighter, I love MMA and physical fittness. Im an excellent runner and pride myself in being this light tough little thing that you probably wouldnt want to get in a fight with because she just might bust your stupid face open.
my cardiovascular system is enhanced, my veins buldge out. My legs are cut, and I love seeing the defined muscles in my abs and arms show up. Now im not super cut, but its DEFINATE not something someones not going to notice.

So im wondering, has anyone who has been on HRT/hormones experiance any decrease in muscular power? anyhting that you actually noticed? Or would it be just a simple "do some more push up, you wont notice a thang!" sorta deal.

Yeha i know, petty question...

Frances
07-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Yes, you will loose muscle mass and strength. I, for one, was extremely happy to loose that guy build. There is an adjustment period where everything seems too heavy or arduous, but it starts feeling natural after a while (a few months). Becoming a woman means becoming a woman, with all the desirable and less desirable effects. Lifting heavy stuff is what guys are for! ;)

Kittykitty
07-16-2011, 08:43 PM
You'll feel it as soon as your testosterone is under control. Your muscles are fairly useless, or at least of way less use without it. I felt a huge difference in the first two months.

If you don't mind me asking, if you like your guy build, why change it?

lynn_lynn
07-16-2011, 08:54 PM
I dont know if the muscle issues are true for everyone and while my story is more unique than others. As I take Fem hormones for health reasons.
My stamina has improved, muscle strength improved greatly, male sex drive is calmer but Id rather be turned on once/2xs a day than all day as much as I like sex, horny all day is very annoying, my fem isnt battling it out with my M, my sleep is better, eating, skin, nails and hair feels softer..

some changes in weight distribution: as my hips are rounding out a little but it could be in my imagination although, when I was sick feeling I hardly moved around as much as I do now on HRT, so dancing and wearing my heels more, swimming a lot of other things could be a factor. But taking care of myself better over the last 2/3months ..

Im a lean person in general, maybe too lean and with bouts of MS a person just gets weaker and to me it was life threatening. I couldnt even type this much with my left hand would feel like it was on fire... (not to change the subject. As well I an a true TG person and dont feel I should cover up my health to anyone that asks me. "Hey hows the MS?" "The MS is gone, but the Misses is doing wonderful.. :D"..

StephanieC
07-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Oh yes, you will notice a difference. There are some ways you can compensate...a bit. But things like lifting power, pushing, even twisting off jar lids, will probably be much less.

I'm not sure about the physical attributes of muscles that you describe...I have seen pictures of girls that have incredible musculature but I don't know how that's impacted by HRT.

Aprilrain
07-16-2011, 09:00 PM
My experience so far is this. I feel that i can lift the same amount of weight I could before but for a shorter period of time because I get tired of holding it sooner. That is after 6 months of HRT. I worked out a fair bit and rock climbed a lot but I haven't done any of that in almost a year because I'm trying to lose those "guy" arms I had. I probably lost as much muscle mass from doing nothing to work my upper body as I have from hormones probably even more! I also lost 20 lbs mostly from not eating so often and not as much junk food. I don't mind losing the muscle like the other girls have said thats what guys are for!

sandra-leigh
07-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I have not noticed any definite muscle loss yet (7 months into anti-androgens). I did go through a spell where I had trouble lifting things or even opening a jar, but it is questionable that that was due to the anti-androgens, as I was having significant back problems and RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) at the time.

Myojine
07-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Not really a guy build. Like i said im skinny and tinny.
I like the muscle power i have. and as a runner and a somewhat of an athletic... i'll be disappointed to not be as strong as i used to... I kinda liked that whole "strong girl" facade...motiff... whatever you call it.
I'd like to be "tough chick" of you will.
Long hair, cute bra, cute skirt....might be nice... might kick your face....

Badtranny
07-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Myo,

You will definitely be a tough chick, but you are not likely to be as strong as a similar sized guy. I was never naturally very strong, so losing strength was one of the first things I noticed. I'm always doing work around my house and rental unit and I was having trouble lifting things I used to lift easily after 6mos on the juice. There is no question now that my strength is diminished in almost every way. It's a little inconvenient at first but I got used to it. My upper body is still shrinking and I don't give a hoot about losing muscle strength. It's just another wonderful step towards becoming who I am. ;-)

Bree-asaurus
07-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Oh my god I lost so much strength. My muscle mass has decreased, and gotten squishier too. My sister and FTM boyfriend can both kick my butt now.

Even small things like carrying groceries are much harder than they used to be.

It kinda sucks.

I've been on hormones for 13 months.

Kelsy
07-17-2011, 01:21 AM
I have to, seriously, change occupations because of strength issues.
I was very strong working construction for years. My muscle mass has decreased maybe 20 percent or more. I think atleast half of my weight loss receintly is due to muscle loss. If I attempt to do some of the heavy lifting that I was once capable of doing I am in real danger of injuring my self. The feeling I experience is as if there is more gravity!! My veiw of the girls world has certainly changed - there are realities
that have surprised me!!

Julie S
07-17-2011, 05:56 AM
I kinda thought that was the whole point of hormones.

I'd be delighted to lose the small muscles that I have, primarily on my legs.

Aprilrain
07-17-2011, 07:35 AM
There were many aspects of transition that I had to come to terms with the two biggest being sex and strength. I got really into rock climbing a few years ago and actually it was one of the best coping mechanisms I had for my GID and my shity marriage. i knew the hormones were going to cause me to lose a lot of upper body strength which is what men tend to rely on in most situations requiring lifting. this bothered me for a while but circumstances and hormones have changed the way I feel about rock climbing. No longer is it as important to me as it once was. You may find that you feel differently about these things that concern you now after a few months on hormones. The reason we lose our strength is because of a lack of testosterone, the other thing I lost a lot of was the aggression that comes with it. Hormones have calmed me down a lot. I had a lot of angst and aggression and it didn't take much to get the fight or flight response going. I really hated how often I found my heart pumping from an adrenaline rush usually from arguing with my wife. Neither one of us had a clue what it was like to feel the way the other did. she still never will but now I get how she could be really upset but not be ready to just tear the house down with rage. Now when I get upset I usually just want to cry. I don't miss the testosterone one bit it was like poison to me and its one benefit, strength, was little more than conciliation prize. It never fit my personality anyway and the lack of strength can be more than compensated by an increase in relationships and a clearer head!

Inna
07-17-2011, 11:25 AM
You got to face it, unfortunately, when decision is made, and hormones are introduced you have to let nature do its magic, and it will. By hormones I mean the cocktail of medically prescribed ratio just for you, and it may differ from that taken by me. One think remains constant, depending on your lab results, doctor will prescribe a testosterone blocker if your biology allows for it, but since you are fit as a fighter :) such shall be prescribed. Testosterone gives you constant rejuvenation of muscle loss, fatigue and allows for strength you experience now. Estrogen will be there to feminize secondary sexual characteristics such as your emotional and physical. YOU WILL LOSE STRENGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Especially in the process of transition, however, female pilots fly well, and their training is as grueling as it is for males. I heard of a British pilot who has transitioned and remains so far flying, I believe he is close to the prince and flies with him however that is helicopters, no major G's there.
Psychologically you will become way more aware of your sensitive side, I am not sure if this is positive and may give you the edge, for me though it was clear that clarity I have been given after disappearance of testosterone took away nearly all the anger, frustration and aggression, so for the girl who suppose to seek out and eliminate, it may propose a dilemma :)

Good luck, and V1......V2rotate

Hope
07-17-2011, 01:25 PM
So I am getting ready to move, and I am working on packing all of my books (As a theologian I have an absurd number of books) and as I was moving boxes around yesterday, and the comment I made to my wife was "This is definitely more difficult this time."

A week ago I had trouble opening a pickle jar I had closed just week earlier - though that probably had more to do with temperature change or the threads being gooey or something. I did make note of it at the time.

It is definitely not scientific - and I haven't been on HRT for long enough that it should be as significant as I have been experiencing - but that is my experience.

Myojine
07-17-2011, 01:47 PM
I guess I'm just going to have to get stronger during/after the hormones then...
I wont let my ability to run parkour and and fight shirk because of something like this.
I'm fairly sure that hormones cant change the structure of the cardiovascular system, thats whats important for a light exromorph like me.
I've seen some tough girls in my days.
Female drill sergeants are heald to the same standard as the male ones when it comes to PT. If they can do that, so can i.
That and part of ones strength comes from the mind. I'f i beleive im weak i will be weak, If i beleive im strong i can be strong with the effort.
Same reason why a normal person would break their hand when a shoalin monk can break the brick.

carolinoakland
07-17-2011, 01:52 PM
After almost three years I did lose muscle mass, but found that if you keep up the workout routine you can balance it out. I work in a very physical enviroment and have found that my stamina has greatly improved.

shoegazer
07-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Despite the loss in muscle mass you will still have an edge over GGs in running, since you will always have male skeletal structure, which is more efficient for running (wider set pelvic/groin area of females is disadvantageous).

dilane
07-17-2011, 02:54 PM
If you're an athlete, you will definitely notice it. I've been a competitive runner for years, used to run marathons in the 2:30's.

I was on hormones for a few years, and my training was noticeably slower.

I ran one race (a tough trail 50k) under the influence of estrogen. Then I stopped taking it, and I noticed a huge increase in performance within weeks. The next year, I ran the same race one hour faster, and went from 25th place to 4th place overall at age 50.

Long story short, even in distance running (which isn't exactly a mega power sport) it made a big difference. I would expect a bigger effect in power/speed sports.

Regards,

Diane

Aprilrain
07-17-2011, 03:15 PM
I guess I'm just going to have to get stronger during/after the hormones then...
I wont let my ability to run parkour and and fight shirk because of something like this.
I'm fairly sure that hormones cant change the structure of the cardiovascular system, thats whats important for a light exromorph like me.
Female drill sergeants are heald to the same standard as the male ones when it comes to PT. If they can do that, so can i.
That and part of ones strength comes from the mind. I'f i beleive im weak i will be weak, If i beleive im strong i can be strong with the effort.
Same reason why a normal person would break their hand when a shoalin monk can break the brick.

A lot of things actually require a greater strength to weight ratio not just strength, for instance body builders would make horrible rock climbers because they are huge and that is a lot of weight to haul around not to mention the lack of flexibility. Running is probably easier with less muscle if you weigh less. You are small, within normal female range so you should have no problem doing what you want to do BUT you will notice a difference! Women aren't designed to be as strong as men It is just a part of being a woman. Personally I want to look as female as is possible for me. I already have aspects of my physic that can not be changed that are definitely male so if i CAN change something like muscle mass then I will.

StephanieC
07-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Hormones have calmed me down a lot. I had a lot of angst and aggression and it didn't take much to get the fight or flight response going.

This, I think, is one of the major benefits. "T" seems to contribute heavily to aggression and, perhaps, competition. "E" seems to bring out more emphathy/compassion.

LaurenS.
07-19-2011, 07:13 AM
You are worried about loss of strength and muscle mass but you should be thinking a little more about how you're going to hide your new breasts in your running outfits. They aren't easy to conceal in something you'll be wearing while running. People will be noticing the "girls" more than your lack of muscle definition.
Lauren

Myojine
07-19-2011, 08:38 PM
You are worried about loss of strength and muscle mass but you should be thinking a little more about how you're going to hide your new breasts in your running outfits. They aren't easy to conceal in something you'll be wearing while running. People will be noticing the "girls" more than your lack of muscle definition.
Lauren

I assume you have never seen an ARMY PT shirt?
I still got mine XD
Theres also the martial artists wrap...
Although I don't have that... can get one.

CharleneT
07-19-2011, 09:14 PM

I lost a lot of strength, more than I expected, but also just about what is predicted. Normally, you can expect to lose about 40% ... seriously. Sure, you can exercise and maintain etc... but you should understand this issue is one where there is a lot of change -- for sure. Testosterone is a very powerful thing, you're going to be losing it. This doesn't mean that there are not very strong women - there are plenty!! Remember you'll be taking anti-androgens (most likely) and they often take your T level below that of the average woman. In truth, you'll want this ( if full transition is what you are after ) as the result is a more feminine form. Ya can't change the bones, but the rest most definitely can and will change. It takes a while, but it is going to happen. You are quite right about attitude, but there are also physical facts and limitations.

you said: "So im wondering, has anyone who has been on HRT/hormones experiance any decrease in muscular power? anyhting that you actually noticed? Or would it be just a simple "do some more push up, you wont notice a thang!" sorta deal."

well, it IS a thing where a few more push ups will not actually help.

p.s. it is not really the cardiovascular system that is changed. Much more metabolism, muscle mass etc... Women are in fact generally quite good at endurance.

Aprilrain
07-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Lauren

Why would she want to hide her TA TA's ??????

Myojine
07-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Why would she want to hide her TA TA's ??????

BEcause.... I woudltn really wnt people to be looking at my clevage when i was running?
Forgive me but Im not a fan of those spagetti tops that dont cover you shoulders and... make you look like fancy/trailer "trash"
I like one peice swimsuits over bikinis.
I perfer "finger tip" length skirts over pants/shorts.
I hate thongs and other "trashwear"

LaurenS.
07-20-2011, 11:55 AM
I was thinking that when presenting as male, which I assume is much of the time, that breast growth will be a problem. Maybe I'm not understanding where you are on the "spectrum" right now. I know it can be a problem for me. T-shirt wear has become difficult.
Lauren

Aprilrain
07-20-2011, 12:45 PM
BEcause.... I woudltn really wnt people to be looking at my clevage when i was running?
Forgive me but Im not a fan of those spagetti tops that dont cover you shoulders and... make you look like fancy/trailer "trash"
I like one peice swimsuits over bikinis.
I perfer "finger tip" length skirts over pants/shorts.
I hate thongs and other "trashwear"

Don't worry about cleavage honey your WAY to skinny for that! (until BA that is) I wasn't implying you would want your breast hanging out I was implying that you would be a full time woman therefor you would not be trying to hide the small lumps under your shirt whatever type of top it is you chose to wear.

OH NO! look at that my shoulders aren't covered. HOW TRASHY!