PDA

View Full Version : Why must my hobby be associated with TECHNO music? Blech!

wino_tg_girl
07-23-2011, 11:50 AM
There is nothing worse than watching youtube vids to get makeup tips and having that awful soundtrack.

What a terrible stereotype!

We're all trans here. What do you think? Do you find the beat irresistible, or do you loathe it as I do?

SuzanneBender
07-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I hate to admit it, I kind of like the beat, but it cetainly doesn't put me in a womanly mood. I am a 70s and 80s gal. Nothing says dressing up in my mind more than ABBA playing in the background.

Rachel Morley
07-23-2011, 01:58 PM
I love house and trance, I always have :)

Lady_Chaos
07-23-2011, 02:01 PM
I got dance playing in the background now ... plus hard rock and hip hop. Whoever made the video must really get into the mood with trance, to everyone their own right? That's why we are all here, right?

I love rave music btw :P Great to dance to, especially in high heels!

Natalie D
07-23-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm very much into dance music. Disco as it was called in the 70,80's right up to today's dance and trance. Depends what mood I'm in as to what I listen to. I have to admit techno is pushing it to the limit. But if I'm in the mood then I can do techno :)

Shelly67
07-23-2011, 02:18 PM
For me trance is ok ....... but the real deal is psy trance which I dj ..............
To me this form of music is almost a religion . I'll add a link for those wishing to hear a taster.....

http://youtu.be/Pb-RLmkoQu0

VioletJourney
07-23-2011, 02:30 PM
I agree with you about techno music, but I don't think it applies to all of us. For the record I'm a hard rock girl.

lynn_lynn
07-23-2011, 02:34 PM
I cant watch youtube for make up..- not that I havent- I like a good old magazine (or new magazine)., then I can rip the page out and tape it to the mirror. but I dont use much eye shadowing: only foundations eyeliner, blush, lip color.. but I still like to experiment if I find a color I might like..

t-girlxsophie
07-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I always play music when Im getting dressed,can be anything really from R & B to 70s Punk/2tone.Anything but Country and Western,that's certainly not Cding mood music,be slashing my wrists if had to listen to that stuff

Sophie

Torrey
07-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Well, I have not encountered it as such, but it sounds like a horrible thing. I would add that I must be incredibly sheltered as it comes to this stuff because I have never heard the terms "house" or "trance" prior to this thread.

Not to digress too much, but I will say I was looking at the website for a certain "festival" and all the featured "acts" were DJs. When did DJs reach that level of being considered an artist? I was further taken aghast when I saw that the DJs would be selling their "albums." Hmmm? Isn't that other people's music?

Oh well, there does seem to be an awful lot of techno music on YouTube overall. Usually just makes me hit the BACK button & search for something different. Can't imagine trying to put on makeup to it.

Inna
07-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Good music is good music, there are boring concertos, and the wild ones, ridiculous rock and awe inspiring tunes, and so goes for techno, for most it is the same beet hanging up in non rhythmic gibberish and then are those tunes that take your breath away, shake your tush babe, it will keep you young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ava McGhee
07-23-2011, 03:23 PM
I love most electronic music, and have for the majority of my life, ever since hearing the Beverly Hills Cop theme when I was a kid; really, I love all music. Every piece of music has something to express; different sounds for different moods. Bonfire with a bunch of rednecks? Metallica, Disturbed, etc. Hangin' with drag queens? ABBA, Elements (whatever their name was; Earth, Wind and Fire or something?) etc, etc..

So I really don't notice techno soundtracks like you mentioned unless it's really, really bad.

Chloe Renee
07-23-2011, 04:12 PM
There are so many types of electronic music out there, please don't write them all off as techno. I listen to alot of trance and psy trance. I like some house, industrial EBM and liquid drum. But no matter how much I try to keep an open mind, I cannot stand dubstep something about the 142 bpm grates my nerves.

Shelly67
07-23-2011, 04:44 PM
There are so many types of electronic music out there, please don't write them all off as techno. I listen to alot of trance and psy trance. I like some house, industrial EBM and liquid drum. But no matter how much I try to keep an open mind, I cannot stand dubstep something about the 142 bpm grates my nerves.

Thank goodness - someone else regards Dubstep the same as I do . How on earth can people dance to it .....? Oh well horses for courses I suppose .

lynn_lynn
07-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Dubstep is truly having a seizure music .. I like some electronica.. But that dubstep is annoyingly lame..

Tara D. Rose
07-23-2011, 05:13 PM
I agree, I hate that techno music as well.Just not my style. It is so annoying when looking at any or most youtube vids. I can be watching, whales, or big ships at sea, helicoptor crashes, or almost anyhing else, and the uploader of the video adds that horrible annoying music on the video's. I look down and read the posters comments, and a lot of them will say good vid but why the crappy sappy music?. Personally, I like to listen to Chrisy Hyde of the pretenders or Bonnie Rait when I'm getting ready and sing and dance to her and others like her after I become Tara.

JustineFallow
07-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Dance music in general is not my cup of tea at all (monotony! ear-mauling bass!). But if I may make a suggestion, how about for the next week when doing our make-up we all make sure to play some Amy Winehouse in her memory?

Audrey34
07-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Not a techno fan. When I'm dressed and I'm listening to music I normally put on some jazz. From Louis Armstrong to Mary Lou Williams
-Audrey

wino_tg_girl
07-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Not a techno fan. When I'm dressed and I'm listening to music I normally put on some jazz. From Louis Armstrong to Mary Lou Williams
-Audrey
At least I agree with one other person here.

-------

I did kind of mean all electronic music when I wrote "techno." I'm guessing "house," "dance," and "trance" are the same thing: drum machines and R2D2. I guess the TG gene and the bad music gene go hand in hand for most (IMO, but I'm pushing 40 so pop culture has left me behind). Thank goodness I avoided that one. Jazz standards, folk, classic R&B: that's more my style.

Kaitlyn26
07-23-2011, 06:58 PM
There is nothing worse than watching youtube vids to get makeup tips and having that awful soundtrack.

What a terrible stereotype!

We're all trans here. What do you think? Do you find the beat irresistible, or do you loathe it as I do?

I'm not usually fond of techno but a very small amount of it I like. I'm more of a rocker than a......whatever techno listeners are called. Put me down for more Pantera, Slayer, Manson, and many other good rock/rap groups.

ZosKiaCultusC7
07-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Even though I'm classified as a Metalhead, I actually dig some Techno, especially Vocal Trance. However, I have to be in the mood for it.

Fab Karen
07-23-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm well past 40, and I enjoy electronic music ( among many other types ). But like other genres, some is good, some is crap.
Someone asked about DJ's doing albums- most of those are doing remixes ( different versions of the music ), they're not just spinning records ( those were like giant cd's made out of usually black plastic, kids ).

Torrey
07-23-2011, 10:37 PM
they're not just spinning records ( those were like giant cd's made out of usually black plastic, kids ).

Oh, that made me giggle! These kiddos think vinyl is for catsuits, not music!

What great choices like Satchmo & Chrissy Hynde. I think everyone can tell by my signature line what my choice is. Having said that, there seems to be a huge chasm between synthesizer music of the 80s (like the BHC theme) and techno...from what I can tell. Either way, I prefer to put my make up on to island sounds :o

Hugs,
Torrey

sterling12
07-24-2011, 02:36 AM
I think it's even worse because we have to listen to This Crap about 99% of The Time, when we are out at An LGBT Club. Destroying your hearing, blowing out your head, with really atrocious, pretentious, redundant, and trivial music is guaranteed to make you flee in about one hour. And, maybe that's The Idea..."Turnover" don't ya' know.

I really long for A Club that is aimed at "Adults," and not just twenty-somethings. But, I guess it will always be so; they get drunk, and buy a lots of Booze. Manager's of Clubs sort of like that!

Peace and Love, Joanie

TinaMc
07-24-2011, 03:09 AM
I like dubstep! There's a lot of variation on the bpm, some is closer to dnb, some is more housey. You've just gotta skank.

But really, trance is just god awful. So formulaic and contrived.

Re: DJ artist albums, most DJs actually make their own music. A DJ set will be a lot of their own stuff, some other stuff.

Iskandra
07-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Dance music in general is not my cup of tea at all (monotony! ear-mauling bass!). But if I may make a suggestion, how about for the next week when doing our make-up we all make sure to play some Amy Winehouse in her memory?

Amy is dead? Wow! And here's me thinking that i'd be hearing her drug f'd no talent voice for decades yet! What a relief!
So sorry but her 'music' is banned in this house!

But yes, I would rather she'd just quit singing and found some broadway producer to marry than die that young!

Tina B.
07-24-2011, 09:39 AM
At my age, I don't what half of this stuff is, but I'll take some of my old blues and listen to that when while dressing, rather fond of Koko Taylor, and Etta James myself, as for listening to Amy Whinehouse, for a month, I had just as soon fill my ears with hot wax and hear nothing than listen to her. That's why I gave up bars years ago, I just can't stand the music in most of them. I prefer concerts where I can make sure of who and what I'm listening to. As for videos, I'll put up with there music, if they will teach me something I can use, even if I have to listen to there crappy music.
Tina B.

Chloe Renee
07-24-2011, 10:20 AM
from a copyright point of view the video police are less likely to shut down a video with an obscure dance song soundtrack. Also, consider the traget audience is not men 35-60, but women ages 17-30 (club age) drag queens and fashionistas. (all expected sub cultures expected to be into the " in thing")
It is hard to say that jazz music and rock are not great, but there is a world of new types of music out there thanks to he internet. As example, my pandora radio has 30 stations that I listen to on a regular bassis stations ranging from celtic rock to new age flow, asian traditional, to electronica.
As for Amy Winehouse, it's a shame she passed away. But much like the drug addled jazz musicians of the twenty's and thirty's and rock stars of the sixty's seventy's great potential was snuffed out before there time. the club of 27 claims another. (google it if need be) I thought her music was pretty good as a gateway drug to classic lounge music, much like Clapton to the blues.

DonniDarkness
07-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Ok ill contribute to this thread too!

i do listen to Real industrial radio on shoutcast almost everytime i dress.

But i have a love affair with Fiona Apples Tidal album there are songs on that album that "sing" to my heart like Pale September and Sullen Girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifQzYuKCpYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqLdAGJbk_U

and this is a touchy subject for me as of late but Amy Winehouses rehab album is one of my favs. Before i even knew who she was i had downloaded her album and loved it only to later find out she was an artist who was a total mess. I had for a long time sent sober vibes in her direction in hopes that she would find her path. I was truly sad to hear of her Oding.

Check out the background during this video you will all love it. It shows Diversity at its best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojdbDYahiCQ&ob=av2e

Also: these two bands get my inner girl wanting to dance Alice in Videoland and The Birthday Massacre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SREZ-ggSDjM
(PS. i wanted to post the "In the Dark" video by The Birthday Massacre but i dont want to offend anyone, so you can you tube it on your own)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBMr02_5ohU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZdx4IeHw-g&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LORlmYchDF4&NR=1

Enjoy,
-Donni-

SabrinaDubh
07-24-2011, 11:39 AM
What I wouldn't give to go to a trans club and hear some punk rock. Some metal. Some classic rock. Some frikkin variety in the music they play. One of the main reasons I don't go to the clubs is because of the crappy music played by the crappy DJs. Sigh... gotta get that capital investment and open my own club. :)

VioletJourney
07-24-2011, 11:47 AM
What I wouldn't give to go to a trans club and hear some punk rock. Some metal. Some classic rock. Some frikkin variety in the music they play. One of the main reasons I don't go to the clubs is because of the crappy music played by the crappy DJs. Sigh... gotta get that capital investment and open my own club. :)
I'd go to a club like that! Just because I wear women's clothes doesn't mean I can't be teh metuhlz.

Torrey
07-24-2011, 09:24 PM
I like dubstep! There's a lot of variation on the bpm, some is closer to dnb, some is more housey. You've just gotta skank.

Wow...LOL...what language is that? I have to admit I have no idea what you mean with bpm, dnd, housey, or skank...nor trance for that matter. I'm guessing if I don't know what it is, I probably don't want to hear it putting on makeup, but that's just me. I'll just be "wasting away in Margaritaville." :o

Frédérique
07-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Why must my hobby be associated with TECHNO music? Blech! There is nothing worse than watching youtube vids to get makeup tips and having that awful soundtrack.
What a terrible stereotype! We're all trans here. What do you think? Do you find the beat irresistible, or do you loathe it as I do?

Well, you can always turn the sound down, of OFF, but I know what you mean…:sad:

I don’t see (or hear) Techno as a suitable soundtrack for alternative wardrobe explorations. I have some in my collection, but it’s not appropriate for my kind of presentation – my world does not require an incessant beat, nor does it need showy glitz, glamour, or bright lights. What would be an appropriate accompaniment for anything Trans? It depends, I suppose. I would choose something quiet, but I’m actively trying to merge with the wallpaper – now and then a rhythm, but not Trance, even though I’m IN a trance when I dress. Experimental/Ambient may be the best fit for me, since I’m experimental, I like to blend in with my surroundings, and you definitely can’t DANCE to it…
:heehee:

PS - it's NOT a hobby, darling...:naughty

Schatten Lupus
07-25-2011, 12:08 AM
I love the sound of electronic and techno. And when it's combined with rock or metal, it's my second favorite sub-genre. More upbeat techno is also one of my favorite genres to listen to while I exercise, and I find the beat to make it easier to maintain a faster pace.