PDA

View Full Version : Do you dance to the music?

Anne2345
07-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Music is recognized and engaged in by all cultures, and an amazing gift to humankind. We all seem to have some appreciation of music on some level or another, regardless of our specific taste.

As for me, I absolutely love music, and cannot get enough of it! Anything from Air, Billie Holiday, Bob Marley & The Wailers, the Boban Markovic Orkestar, Charlie Parker, The Cure, De La Soul, Dinosaur Jr., Dizzie Gillispie, The Doors, Grateful Dead, Gotan Project, John Lee Hooker, Miles Davis, Muddy Waters, Portishead, Ray Charles, St. Germain, Thievery Corporation, to Zero 7, just to name a very small, limited sampling of musicians and groups I appreciate and enjoy.

Genre is not that important to me. I listen for quality, talent, emotion, and meaning. Sometimes I listen purely for fun, at the complete expense of meaning.

Music can elevate me to incredible highs, reduce me to lowly tears, or allow me to smoothly maintain my course straight ahead. Sometimes listening to music I feel like dancing, and other times I feel like laying on the floor in the fetal position, holding on for dear life.

But when I allow it, I always feel emotion while listening to music. And feeling emotion, simply being human, is a triumph and joy unto itself, regardless of what is felt. I feel, therefore I am.

I believe there is music in crossdressing. Sometimes the song of the crossdresser is provocative and sexy, sometimes the song is intimate and ripe for a slow dance, and other times it may be fast, furious, and full of adrenaline. For some, it may also be something altogether different, such as dark, depressing and denigrating.

But regardless of my mood, there is always meaning and emotion associated with my crossdressing. I dance to the beat, and the beat is that which is within me. It is a tune I will never tire of, and look forward to listening to over and over again, along with its different variations and genres.

Regardless of the tune, its variations, or genre, I dance to a beautiful, meaningful, and necessary song. In this, I shall continue to dance and dance and dance, until I am no more. And I would have it no other way . . . .

What music do you dance and crossdress to? What is your own internal, personal tune? Do you dance slowly at a consistent pace designed for duration, fast and furious, somewhere in between, or all or none of the above depending on your mood?

Marissa
07-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Music to me is my soul.. I so love music.. not much of a Kareokee singer..but do over dubs if that makes sense.. Listen to all types.. except where its offending..

But I don't really relate much to crossdressing..except for my favs.. Cher..and Shania.. two of the sexiest women with lovely voices.. now that is my cd side talking.. my drab says they are two foxes.. :)

for a mood thing..well... Pink Floyd is my fav.. or if I'm feeling rebel like..some Boss does the trick.. to sooth the soul.. Neil Diamond.. or others of the late 60's, early 70's era..

again.. not much tied to dressing..just that I like the music..

Hugs,
Marissa

VioletJourney
07-23-2011, 11:30 PM
I always try to maintain a hard rock attitude of being fun without taking myself seriously. Right now, considering I'm facing a bit of persecution from my family, I'm really into Guns N' Roses song Out Ta Get Me, it's basically about being persecuted but not letting them get you down and staying strong. Well, not just that, it also just has a criminally catchy riff.

I don't dance except with Mr. Brownstone, he's been knockin' and won't leave me alone.

prene
07-23-2011, 11:34 PM
i love dancing.

I wish i did it better.

I like anything from fleetwood mac to lady gaga and katy perry.

busker
07-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Tangos--now there is the music of sex on the dance floor--, Brazilian jazz and vocals in Brazilian Portuguese which has got to be the sexiest language on earth, followed by Italian and sung by Bocelli. Listen to Simone, she will knock your socks--er, pantyhose--off. Paul Desmond, Stan Getz, Bill Evans, Bach, Vivaldi, Dowland and Portuguese Fado ,and many more.
they have absolutely no connection to dressing and the only song that could be a crossdressers theme song, is one by Streisand titled "honey , can I wear your clothes."

Marissa
07-23-2011, 11:47 PM
i love dancing.

I wish i did it better.

I like anything from fleetwood mac to lady gaga and katy perry.

okay.. to answer the OP...katy perry's 'firework' does inspire dressing.. something about that song that says...be you.. face the world..

Lady GaGa..no.. music can be nice but no.. her persauna..(sp) is enough to turn me off.. she is a stage..to shock.. good luck to her..

Fleetwood..Stevie Nicks.. 'Landslide' awesome.. :)
Hugs,
Marissa

Barbara Dugan
07-24-2011, 12:39 AM
I Love Erasure(vince Clarke, Andy Bell)

AmyGaleRT
07-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Hmm, Marissa, I was just commenting over in the lounge that Lady Gaga's "Just Dance" is one of the songs that really brings my femme-self to the fore. She can be pretty shocking in her public persona, but, then again, I remember when Madonna was considered equally shocking.

Music is important to both halves of my self. I even have an "Amy's Music" iPod playlist of music that appeals to my femme side. (Yeah, "Just Dance" is on it. :D )

Shelly67
07-24-2011, 03:31 AM
If it makes the soul fly , then bring it on - I'll dance to it till I drop . The craziest thing is , music is like food , so many variations . Well , for me the varient stops dead at cheesy 80's early 90's "regular or chart music ", hip hop , or country and western , oh and recently joined by the latest dance craze of dubstep .
Praps that's why I don't really ( my own personal choice ) like those I've just listed - simply cannot strut my funky stuff to any of them . The word pap comes to mind . As I say , my own personal choice .
Blimey , now that has gotten me thinking - I don't dance whilst dressed ! Nor headbang either . My tastes range from rock ( god bless Led Zep ) thrash ( late 80's only please - Metallica you sold out - Slayer still reign ) all manner of tunage from Bjork , Portishead , Blondie .... But since discovering one form of music 20yrs ago it's stuck . Stuck fast - psy trance . I've been to loads of psy nights , seen so many different walks of people , trans , crossdressers , pvc clad dominatrix , included all going toally crazy on the dance floor . I danced among them , always in male mode. The reality is even if I was brave enough ,I wouldnt dance enfemme as it gets so hot , the places I've been too end up dripping in condensation . Not good for war paint n wigs ..... Shamanic moments of total madness , the vibe so strong everyone in a magical place " having it large " .
Praps one day when I'm old , my body not allowing such moments of joyful abandon , I'll give it all up , take a hobby much nearer to bordom or ( dare I say it ) straightness . Like trainspotting or modelling .
Certainly not whilst I have breathe left in this body , the dressing obviously one day will cease , age it's dictator .But , I'll keep dancin till I drop , zimmer frame n all !!

" Theres only one thing I gotta say , tis better to burn out than fade away "

Phylis Nicole Schuyler
07-25-2011, 06:53 AM
I wish I could dance and not worry about it looking like a train wreck. I do get the courage to dance when I have a wee bit of Crown Royal Black in me. I have never tried dancing in fem mode. Maybe I should try and I just might be relaxed and do just fine. You're right that music is a part of our soul. It is nothing to go out on our lanai When my SO is away) and find me dressed en-fem, drinking a CR Black, smoking a cigar and listening to soft jazz. To me that is the most relaxed of times so far.

MargoM
07-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Very bad until the 6th or 7th beer to tell the truth

TGMarla
07-25-2011, 09:48 AM
A very lovely and though-provoking post, as usual Anne. I do dance to the music I feel when I crossdress. There are times when I'm completely en femme when I simply sit there and revel in it, striving to simply "be" and live completely in the moment. It sings a unique and beautiful song to my soul.

And a little choice Mark Knopfler thrown in never hurts, either!

SuzanneBender
07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Anne this is one of the most well written posts that I have had the pleasure of reading on this site.

I too love music. Almost every genre is represented in my music library. I enjoy dancing although my rhythm unfortunately does nothing to compliment my love of music.

i don't really have a femme presentation soundtrack. Although, I have always felt that life would be more interesting if it were always accompanied by a background soundtrack. My favorite genres go well with my appreciation for the feminine. They include soft jazz, disco, naughty funk and yes even classical.

My personal soundtrack is made up of the great female jazz standards.

Butterfly Bill
07-25-2011, 02:13 PM
There's nothing like Irish and Scottish folk music for dancing in a skirt. They even let men wear them in those two places.

SweetIonis
07-25-2011, 07:21 PM
This is such a great idea. Actually if you listen very carefully you will notice that there is sound all around us and within us. There is the sound we hear with our ears, but there is also the sound that is produced when we think or read a book carefully.

I SO MUCH like to dance when I dress up. It's usually provocative in nature. LOL!!! But over and above that, I listen to so many different types of things, depending upon my mood.

Babeba
07-25-2011, 08:17 PM
It may not hold true for all CDs that dressing pretty also = desire to dance... I've never seen Crystal dance, and her male counterpart I've gotten to dance with me a grand total twice (both times were awesome, though!) I think that for everyone, there is some sound or music that can make them happy deep in their soul, the same place that all things that give us great joy touch us.

xcdmargo
07-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Great thread
I definitely am more apt to dance when I'm dressed. I seem to feel freer and I seem to feel the music more. The hips start moving and the arms come up and I'm lost in the music. Although I enjoy all kinds of music I do enjoy techno and dance when I'm out dressed.

SweetIonis
07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Actually I love music. I thought it was awesome that the OP put forward the idea to the effect that there is music in all that we do. I used to know this guy that played drums extremely well. He told me that playing in the groove was like the flow of blood through your body. In a similar vein Mozart said that music should flow like oil.

Any rate sometimes the music I am dancing to in life is a grave, somber, dirge. Sometimes its the prelude to the start of a battle like the famous overture Light Calvary. Sometimes it's romantic like Liszt's Liebestraum. Sometimes it's a loose, bohemian type of sophisticated swing like the music of Charlie Parker. Sometimes it's hard driving sensual like Beyonce. Sometimes it's endless intellectual endeavor that never seems to resolve like the intense polytonality and dissonance in Prokofiev's Four Pieces. Somtimes it's meditative like a sweet morning raga from classical Indian music.

Any rate, that was an awesome thought. It's amazing some else see's things in a similar light to the way I feel!!!

5150 Girl
07-26-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm no dancer,, far from it. I wish I could, but ya know waht, God gave me anohter gift which I value much higher. I am a guitar shreader! A trade I glady acept.

Fractured
07-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Music can be meaningful but I find it to an infrequent desire of mine. I find the quiet of nature or the silence of an empty house more pleasurable than notes coming from a stereo. I enjoy the opportunity to think without something trying to beat its way into my head through the hairs in my ear. There is so much noise in my world - work, traffic, family - that its absence is appreciated more than filling the void with melodies.

Do I listen to music - yes. Do I enjoy Lady GaGa, Troy Fernandez, David Garrett, Bond, Rhianna, Garth Brooks, Eminem, and all the rest? Yes. But I am more likely to be found enjoying quiet than tunes. Music, after all, is "the art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition." And the most evocative compositions hold a lot of value while containing little content.

Cynthia Anne
07-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Very well said Anne! Although I only have one leg, when it comes to 'country' I'm the first and the last on the dance floor! As in my 'dressing' I don't sit this one out! I have an inner pride that does not allow it! So hell yes I dance to the music! Hugs always!

Frédérique
07-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Genre is not that important to me. I listen for quality, talent, emotion, and meaning. Sometimes I listen purely for fun, at the complete expense of meaning. But when I allow it, I always feel emotion while listening to music. And feeling emotion, simply being human, is a triumph and joy unto itself, regardless of what is felt. I feel, therefore I am.

I don’t dance to the music I listen to, but I don’t think that’s what you’re asking or implying. I tap my foot to the music on occasion, since I work to an eclectic “soundtrack,” but I listen as a listener, letting the emotion inherent in the sounds seep into my consciousness. I seek the emotion, and only certain kinds of music can deliver the goods...

When I listen to music, I often day-dream about being IN a fictitious group, performing, as some sort of transgendered presence, completely out-of-synch with current trends. There’s no choreography, no enhancement, just a presence that enthralls the gathering. I like these singers who just come out, stand there, and sing an enigmatic song open to interpretation. Since I’m a crossdresser, the “voice” is between M & F, and the lyrics are worth listening to. The music is overpowering in its violent delicacy, what most people would call “intense,” but I don’t...

Most often, I listen to instrumental music, mainly synths in unison, and they conjure up mental imagery according to whatever mood I find myself in. You can’t dance to it, but you can certainly lay on the floor in the fetal position, hanging on for dear life, as you so eloquently stated in the OP. I’m not a good companion at a concert, because I don’t move at all, preferring to observe things and create memories. I haven’t been to a concert since 2002 (in Boston), but most groups I listen to never come to this part of America. That’s OK – I have my downloads, and plenty of tissues...
:heehee:

JackieCD
07-28-2011, 01:20 AM
I wish I could dance very very girly! I need a lot of practice right now but yes I do kinda dance lol

Erica Thorn
07-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Oh I never dance... not even when I'm drunk and I kind of hate it since my SO love to dance!

Might be a change coming tough, my SO said something the other day that now when I'm going to be more womanly I needed to start with her Zumba workouts! :eek:

jacky83
09-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Might be a change coming tough, my SO said something the other day that now when I'm going to be more womanly I needed to start with her Zumba workouts! :eek:
Try Zumba. Its fun as well as good exercise!

sometimes_miss
09-20-2011, 01:53 AM
Well, I don't crossdress 'to' music, but I have music playing pretty much all the time. I took dancing lessons many, many years ago, initially because I knew girls liked to date guys who knew how to dance, but learned very quickly that I loved it myself. AFA music being emotionally influenced, the first song I heard by these girls just blew me away, and I didn't know a single word they were saying at the time. Check it out, Korea's Brown Eyed Girls debut song, Come Closer (Da ga wa suh in Korean, which you'll hear several times in the song) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCe7MEqlkr0
They really sing their hearts out in this. I think it was their initial live performance pushing their first album.

Anne, PM sent. Hope you enjoy the links.

suzy1
09-20-2011, 02:41 AM
Suzy is a party animal. After my first screwdriver I am ready to go. Lady Ga Ga always gets me going.
After my forth screwdriver I will dance to anything.

On a more serious note I am deeply moved by classical music.
There are many people that have not discovered classical music yet and have no idea where it can take them. It’s a rich and amazing part of my life and many others.

SUZY

ashleymasters
09-20-2011, 07:03 AM
I love music. I could listen to music all day long. I love all kinds of music. I think my favorites are classic rock. Or R&B and blues. I actually don't dance when I go out as a woman. I am still trying to learn to dance like a woman.

Once I was at a club en femme and made fast friends with a GG. I was immediately attracted to her so it was a little distracting from my female side. When she dragged me on the floor in 6in heels no less, I was struggling. I was off rhythm and felt incredibly awkward. The girl I was dancing with finally pulled me off the floor and said you have to learn to dance with your hips and not your penis. I realized she was right. I can submerse so much of myself into being Ashley but there are parts that are hard to get around on my male side.

LeaP
09-20-2011, 11:32 AM
My dance is constant, but internal. I only let it out in any literal sense with my wife and children. It often IS dance, but is just as often free-form verbalization, contemplation and wonder, religious expression and other things. As for music, I play a lot of instruments! All of this seems a type of symbolic expression to me. Much of it is an endless spontaneous flow, some joyous, some silly (often to mask the former). Unfortunately, it's also shut down by recurring depressions, repression, and life's daily hurts (I'm oversensitive). I've learned the hard way to repress due to people's reactions, right down to controlling how I walk, talk, react, dress (duh), hold myself, etc.

Dance I would, but found that should, is stick to break free spirit's leg, leaving dancer in lonely pain to beg.

Lea

MovieTheaterLad
09-20-2011, 01:13 PM
OOOH! Can we post links to songs we like? I'll start!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2oLAw6kwl0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2FeLPWCpdw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsSHiHEE_Qw

drushin703
09-20-2011, 02:03 PM
anne, what an eyeopening thread:

Miles Davis? Muddy Waters? The Cure? Charlie Parker? Ray Charles? Billy Holiday? Bob Marley? WOW! Is it fair to conclude the type of person you are
based on your choice of music? All of these great artist were able to touch, as crossdressing does, the most basic and primal element of the human
condition. To crossdress, especially male to female, in this hackneyed overdone society, where so many are constricted by fashion and dress the same,
where so many are locked in by culture and sound the same or have the same inflection in their voices, is makeing good music.We have lifted the veil
and shown our eyes to the light of what gender and sexuality can become. Just as Charlie Parker was able to change dance music (swing) into chord
progression and intellegence..........dana

music lights the soul