PDA

View Full Version : Dressing is COOL during a heat wave

Frédérique
07-24-2011, 08:47 AM
It’s relentlessly HOT out there, day after day, and I got fed up with “living” in the cool basement. Time to dress up and do something REALLY cool, which would hopefully take my mind off of this heat wave we’ve been experiencing. Come to think of it, a fun, mindless outing of purposeful MtF crossdressing would be just the thing right about now – let’s GO!

OK, its 106° -- what do I wear? Under the circumstances, I chose the best garment possible, namely a modest cotton dress - a summer dress (well, what else?), off-white, and long-ish enough to trap cool air. No pantyhose, of course (too hot), but panties are ideal for hot days like this, plus a little under-shaping for the benefit of the dress. Add some practical shoes (I’m driving), a small purse, a wig I don’t mind getting all sweaty, and some cute sunglasses. I thought of wearing a floppy sun hat, but I didn’t want to draw too much attention to myself. My nails were discretely painted, ditto my lips, and a pink bracelet, along with tiny clip-on earrings, completed my en femme presentation. My make-up was minimal at best...

At last I was ready to go. My sister was asleep, so I left the house quietly (she knew I was going out, but not HOW I was going to look). I stepped out into the heat, and it hit my face like a blowtorch. Keep moving. In the nearby oven-like garage, I gently got into my red Jeep Wrangler, taking pains not to crease my nice dress. Up went the garage door, and I slowly backed out of the driveway, hoping I wouldn’t see any of my neighbors. So far, so good, and soon I was driving past endless parched lawns and wilted trees – nobody was out and about, so I began to enjoy the heat in a perverse sense. All the air seemed sucked out of the shadows, and, after turning north, I saw big fields full of heat-damaged crops. It’s HOT and dry, dangerously so, but I kept thinking about the people who are living (and dying) in and around the “Horn” of Africa right now...

Leaving my little home on the prairie, I drove north on the Interstate to Salina, the nearest city of any consequence, with a few possible stops in mind. Once the A/C in the Jeep overcame the ambient temperature, I could feel a cool breeze blowing up my dress – I pulled up the hem a bit, running a free hand over my shaved legs, reassuring myself that few Kansans would venture out in such weather, so few would actually see me. Keep moving – stay in balance. There was a dark cloud just northwest of Salina, moving in my direction – would I be “rained out” after all this preparation? I checked my lipstick in the rear view mirror, moving forward all the time. I made it to my first stop (the local library) without incident, parking around the back. Luckily, the storm had already begun to dissipate, no doubt scared away by the sweltering dome of heat I was stuck under...

I gulped, and then entered the library through the main entrance with a small clutch of books – I hold books like a girl no matter how I’m dressed! No alarms went off, so I dumped my returned books in the nearest receptacle and made a quick circuit of the library proper, skirting the stairs to the children’s zone and keeping an eye out for the security guard. How would I go about explaining myself? I looked at some art books, feeling rather airy in my light cotton dress, but I soon realized I couldn’t take any new books out – my library card is in my male name, along with a male photo ID of me, and, at present, I didn’t look “male” at all! Oh well – I looked at the impressive regional artwork on the walls before slipping out the main door. It was still 106° in the shade...

My next stop was a hobby/craft store a few miles away. Emboldened by my shy foolhardiness, I retouched my lipstick and drove off, making my way through a congested neighborhood with many side streets. Places like this make me nervous, because I need to be ultra-alert at all times, especially while I’m dressed. Just keep moving. Within a few minutes I was staring at the store front of my destination – once again I gathered my femme self and slipped in through the entrance, quickly using the tacky decorations and artificial flowers for makeshift camouflage. I zipped past the fabric, and the fabric ladies, all the way to the art supplies, where I fondled the brushes and laughed at the new acrylic paints arranged in little dishes (like make-up). I also “sized” up the rectangular canvases and panels nearby, mentally taking notes. After a quick look at the scale model foliage, the “It’s A GIRL” stickers, and a wall of colorful craft paints, I made my way back to the front of the store to purchase a craft magazine...

It was near closing time, and the female cashier didn’t seem too concerned with my appearance! Was I actually “passing,” or was it too hot for her to care? I’m really lucky to have a light beard that doesn’t need much concealment, but, in regards to my femme appearance, I worry about everything. By this time I had nearly forgotten I was wearing a dress, and the wilted patrons were too concerned with their own discomfort to notice me. I felt strangely cool and calm, resigned to my fate if I was caught, but I wasn’t – I was free to GO and be me. The thing is, you don’t expect to see transvestites in this part of Kansas – just keep moving. I did just that, right out the door, back into the Venus-like atmosphere. There was one more stop to go. I re-adjusted my dress before sitting on the hot Jeep seat, checked my lips again, and gently blotted my face with a tissue before setting off down the road...

I went to a home improvement store, a bastion of masculinity, and brazenly sauntered through the automatic doors in plain sight. WHOOSH – the hem of my dress moved of its own volition. Normally, I would linger and look at things in the main aisles, but this time I kept moving, going up one aisle and down the next, just enjoying being in such a place dressed the way I was – how amusing! I was conscious of being watched by unseen eyes, human and electronic, so I went through the motions of looking at things as an actual woman might, affecting “her” gestures for effect. I avoided the over-heated people shuffling about, and I was careful to not draw the attention of a roving “helper.” I had been here many times, so I knew what to expect, but Freddy had never been here before. Accordingly, I looked at the window treatments, and tried to blend in...

Of course, wearing a dress made me stand out, but now and then, in this part of America, you see Mennonite ladies of all ages in their plain dresses, looking cool and comfortable. I thought more seriously about trying that “look,” replete with a bonnet of some sort, and blending in a little better. On my way to the exit, I floated past the female self-serve cashier monitor – she was helping someone and didn’t notice me, so I cleared that last hurdle and exited the premises with a sense of accomplishment. I love going around completely unnoticed, in fact I’ve made it into an art form. Best of all, I momentarily forgot about the heat wave – my appropriate attire helped me to forget my drab male misery, and crossdressing once again made me feel GOOD...

I drove home to my little town just off the Interstate, letting the cool air inside the Jeep blow me dry. Fifteen uneventful miles later, I carefully slipped back into my house, once again praying the neighbors wouldn’t see me – who WAS that woman, anyway? It had cooled off a bit by then; in fact it was all the way down to 104°! Upstairs, I got out of my femme clothing and accessories, washed everything washable, removed my wig, lipstick (and etc.) and had a quick COLD shower. It was hot enough outside to iron something without turning on the iron, and, believe it or not, I thought about baking something in the mailbox! The disc on the light meter is spinning very fast these days, but I’m getting used to dealing with this oppressive heat wave. I look forward to it ending, since it has to (it MUST!) but I haven’t heard the weatherman say the words “Relief IS on the way” just yet. Should I curse reality? Luckily, we “girls” can come out and play for a few minutes, even under these conditions, and femme clothing can be positively refreshing. COOL! Keep moving, my friends...

How are you dealing with the heat wave? Have you been able to dress at all? Some like it hot, but I sure don’t... :whew!:

Sara Jessica
07-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Nice tale Frederique, making the best of what must be such an oppressive heat wave.

But a deeper question looms in the back of my mind. You have recently discussed that you don't have friends in the community and have eloquently defended the virtues of the closet. I may have missed something before or simply don't remember correct but I thought you don't typically get out and about as you have described here.

TGMarla
07-24-2011, 08:55 AM
What a great read! Was your sister gone from the house when you returned? You went out, you passed, you had a great time being Freddy...what's not to love about that? Good for you!

Butterfly Bill
07-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I call them my "tent dresses". Rayon patio dresses that slope outward starting at the armpits, and come down to mid calf, long enough to safely sit down in while going regimental. The next best thing to going naked. Usually start wearing them about the beginning of August, but this year it started the third week of June.

Kathy Smith
07-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks Freddy - that was a very entertaining read!
I particularly liked "I had been here many times, so I knew what to expect, but Freddy had never been here before.". :-)

carhill2mn
07-24-2011, 02:04 PM
I have two of what I call my "hot weather" dresses. They are cotton, and loose fitting (some called them "patio" dresses) with a large square opening at the top. I also have another two piece dress that has very short sleeves and is light weight. These are the coolest things to wear that I own. Of course, a light, airy, flouncy skirt with a light top is also comfortable. However, I am still thankful that my a/c is working!

Frédérique
07-24-2011, 11:15 PM
First of all, I wish to say that I didn’t want to hijack diannecourtney’s thread about dressing in the heat (i.e the weather) – I wrote about my little adventure, and then sat on it for a day or two before finally submitting it. The heat has been an adventure of endurance lately, and I have (I mean had) literally gone underground…
:sad:

But a deeper question looms in the back of my mind. You have recently discussed that you don't have friends in the community and have eloquently defended the virtues of the closet. I may have missed something before or simply don't remember correct but I thought you don't typically get out and about as you have described here.

A deeper question looms, eh? Sounds serious...:heehee:

If there is a “community” in my immediate surroundings, I’m largely unaware of it, and, besides, I like to keep to myself – it’s a choice based on my shy nature, either drab or dressed. I’m just not an outgoing individual, but that doesn’t keep me from going "out" now and then purely for fun...
:battingeyelashes:

Because of my background, I staunchly defend the “virtues” of the closet, and I support solitary behavior whenever I stumble across it. This is where I began, after all. If a way of crossdressing (or living) is being questioned, then I will stand up for personal freedom – you should be able to live as you choose, and some people are either more comfortable alone, or like to keep certain things secret. In my case, I do get out more often than I let on, but I don’t write about it too much. In my way of thinking, who wants to read about my tiny “adventures” when you can read what the more gregarious types among us are doing? I like to float around unnoticed and not interact with others much – in many ways I take my “closet” with me, and it becomes a “bubble” of sorts. Strange, but true…

PretzelGirl
07-25-2011, 07:27 PM
In my case, I do get out more often than I let on, but I don’t write about it too much. In my way of thinking, who wants to read about my tiny “adventures” when you can read what the more gregarious types among us are doing?

Meee! :wave: I just like reading about people being able to be themselves and be happy. At home or elsewhere, it just doesn't matter. :hugs:

MargoM
07-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Just wearing panties, gym shorts and sport bra around the house, maybe a button down shirt unbuttoned to walk the Dachshunds maybe not...........but we got an reprieve today, a line of thunderstorms pass thought this afternoon and it is 78 degrees at 845PM. This is the first time the temp has been in the 70's in 7 weeks (-;

sissystephanie
07-25-2011, 09:56 PM
i don't often wear a dress during the extremely high heat we are having here in Georgia (USA). But I do wear skirts and other feminine apparel almost every day, out in public. But as many of you know, I do it differently than other do. Yes, I am dressed toally enfemme, from the skin out, but wearing no wig or makeup I look just like the man that I am!! Been doing that for 6 years, and in this heat I wll keep on doing it! I am not good at all with makeup or fixing a wig so don't even try! But I do stay cool in my skirts!!

Tess
07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Reading your tale is a slight break in our always unbearable Texas summer. Beautiful writing.