PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever worked at Victoria's Secret?

MeganTx
07-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Im thinking of trying to get a part time job at Victorias and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on that. Im not going in thinking it will be some glamorous job. Like all things retail im sure the hours will get long at times. But I do love just simply being in that store and my hours have been cut back at my regular job. If anyone has anything to share please feel freee to do so. thanks.

RADER
07-27-2011, 12:39 PM
A long time ago, I built one in a Maul some distance from me. It was fun building all those
displays and installing all the drawers that would hold all those wonderfully things.
I must have done a real good job, because I was never called back to fix anything.
I should have made some little bo-bo so I could have returned when it was stocked. LOL
Rader

lingerieLiz
07-27-2011, 01:48 PM
I've seen a couple of guys working at VS. Both were doing stocking etc. One did offer to help me. I think they are open to hiring males but I think they are more assigned to stocking etc.

A lot of gg's would be unfonfortable with a male sales assistant. Even though some of us (me included) know more about lingerie and own more than the gg's working there.

Karren H
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Since their HQ is only 2 hours from home.... I put in an application to be a tg spokes-model but they never returned my email... Or letters. Or phone calls... :(

I shop VS all the time and have never seen a male working the sales floor. Ever.

lynn_lynn
07-27-2011, 02:29 PM
no, Ive never seen a male working their either.. Pa dont have tg discrimination laws, that Im aware of. They simple dont have to hire you, or can fire you due to bad performance or whatever they make up..

maybe VS should eat make up, so they could be pretty inside too..

UNDERDRESSER
07-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Well, I've been working a new job for the last few months, contract, with high hopes of making it permanent soon. VS it's NOT! But it does have a women's clothing section, with a small swimwear and underwear section. It has some pros and cons. I get to handle and admire the fabrics and colors, I have to restock the displays from the changing rooms. Have not yet bought stuff from the women's section, but did buy some from that store some years ago. If you can get a job there when they know you're a CD, TG, TS or whatever, you'll probably have a lotta fun, if not... well, I have to keep biting my tongue!

While we're on this subject, GGs, what's with the mess you leave in the changing rooms? :eek:

Vickie_CDTV
07-27-2011, 02:40 PM
I have never seen a male on the sales floor in VS either. I am sure there are some working behind the scenes (not on the sales floor.) I imagine a GG would probably be intimidated buying such intimate items with a male salesman trying to help her.

texasm31
07-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I have seen a male working the floor at the VS in Allen, TX. I saw him helping GGs looking for sizes, and saw him working the register. I doubt he works the dressing room areas, but his job was clearly more than stockboy.

Jodi
07-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Eight years ago, when I was working for NY & Co in Greensburg, PA, there was a young man working the floor for VS. The store manager told me that he was well liked by customers and the staff.

Jodi

Sarasometimes
07-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately not I but I have seen male SA's at a couple of NJ locations, usually around the holidays. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

eluuzion
07-27-2011, 06:59 PM
hiya Megan,

As much as we all hope that companies like VS would be open to hiring “TG-ish” employees, business is business and the goal is to make money. Their research has obviously indicated that women are more comfortable buying the types of clothing they sell from women sales clerks. If this was not the case, then I guarantee you would see male sales personnel working in their retail stores.

Companies are extremely cautious about setting precedents that can be used in legal actions at a future date. (Like discrimination actions) When I was a branch manager for a large international corporation, I spent a significant part of every workday on the phone consulting with our legal department to make sure I was following company “policy“. :brolleyes:

You may have an opportunity at a warehouse, distribution center or similar operation that do not require direct interface with the buying public.

just my thoughts,

Good Luck!

:love:

StephanieC
07-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I have a nephew that works there. I think he does stock. He likes working there and the discount that comes along with it. (The discount is valid at any of the stores under the parent.)

Jess Marie
07-27-2011, 08:54 PM
I have worked retail for 3 years now for some reason, I must be a glutton for punishment or something. I dislike retail with all my heart. The pay is not worth your time and people are usually complete meanies, for lack of a better word. The discounts are hardly worth the mental agony that goes along with constant fake smiling (unless you work at under armour where EVERYTHING is 50% off for employees.) But seriously, think this through, not trying to say don't go for it, but most retail stores don't schedule you very often, I was getting 20 hours at Aeropostale working 5 days a week. retail is not fun, yet I am still doing it. I need a career change :/

donnatracey
07-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Have never seen a guy working the floor at my local VS stores.....I agree that women customers would be far more comfortable with females SAs and I can understand fully..

Norma_CD
07-28-2011, 02:05 AM
Hmmmm, interesting. Almost every time I poke my head into the VS in South Coast Plaza there's at least one male. He's usually working the register though. I know I've seen males in other VS stores around here too.

Momarie
07-28-2011, 08:44 AM
UNDERDRESSER wrote:
"While we're on this subject, GGs, what's with the mess you leave in the changing rooms?"

This is one of my pet peaves...women/girls that try on a dozen things, don't hang them back up, leaving a fitting room trashed.

That kind of thing really speaks volumes about someones character.
I feel so bad for the employees that have to clean up after those little prima dona snots.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
07-28-2011, 11:10 AM
I've seen plenty of guys working in VS stores. I've also had women ask me if I work there on occasions when I'm wearing an outfit that has a lot of black in it. I've seen places like mentioned on here where the guys mostly do the stock work, but I've seen male SA's too. They usually tend to focus on the makeup and body lotions and stuff like that but I've seen them working around the underwear too.

It's funny, even now I sometimes get a little uncomfortable talking to male SA's about what I'm buying, even though it is a guy who works at VS.

anonymousinmaryland
07-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Rader said: I should have made some little boo-boo so I could have returned when it was stocked. LOL. Rader
What Rader SHOULD have said: . . . so I could have returned when it was STACKED.

(Sorry: couldn't resist.)

Sharon B.
07-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Personally I would like to get employment at the Lane Bryant store, and yes I would dress as a woman if I would could get employment there.
May have to start checking the store out for Christmas help.

Adriennegrl
07-28-2011, 03:11 PM
I've thought about working in retail before, but seeing what an ex had to deal w/ made me think twice. A feminine job that I've had in the past was to be an administrative assistant (secretary of sorts) and I felt lady like. Going out w/ the girls for lunch and such was always nice, and you get to see some great outfits for the workplace.

If you're looking for part time work a temp agency is the ticket. You too can become a Kelly girl ;) I miss those days sometimes.

lingerieLiz
07-28-2011, 11:24 PM
As if guys don't leave messes.

A while back, I asked the SA at Nordstrom to try on a couple bras. She took me to the dressing room and as we opened the door it had several things left from previous try ons. I told her that was fine. LUCKY ME! Whoever was there before me wore the same size as I do. She had tried on a ton of bras from a one hook model to a beautiful lace bustier. Some in different sizes. Most were from the bridal collections. When the SA asked how it was going I told her I had found some more. She said take your time so I did. When I came out she asked how it went and I said great I found another bra I liked. As I was paying the other SA said sorry it was a mess the girl tried on every bra in the store and she hadn't had time to clean it up. Told her I had found one she left that I liked.

So leaving things behind may not be all bad.

Paula W
07-28-2011, 11:32 PM
no, Ive never seen a male working their either.. Pa dont have tg discrimination laws, that Im aware of. They simple dont have to hire you, or can fire you due to bad performance or whatever they make up..

maybe VS should eat make up, so they could be pretty inside too..

A wild redditor appears!

Billie Jean
07-29-2011, 10:29 PM
I just wonder will they let you dress enfeme? That would be cool and you could really help the CDs. Billie Jean

juno
07-29-2011, 11:00 PM
I am sure that it depends more on where you are than the store name. It never hurts to try. Even if they turn you down, you might make a small difference in considering changing their attitude.

k lynn
07-30-2011, 05:08 AM
Wish you good luck I love shopping Victoria Secret

Paula Siemen
07-30-2011, 08:12 AM
I saw a male working at a VS in Dallas at Valley View Mall several years back....... I went into that store on several occasions and saw him working for several months or more. I don't exactly recall, but I think I've seen otheres in some stores as well. Dallas has a very broad antidescrimination laws so, I believe that if VS is a place you would like to work, then fill out an application. That in itself could be a lot of fun.
As I was unemployed for over two years the thought of applying as VS was often on my mind. Two things held me back:
a) having to list references from employers in my profession that I might want to get re-employed by; and
b) the probability of customers that would know me comming into shop.
I do think it would be a gas to work at VS and I'm sure that there would be many of the female customers these days that wouldn't think too much of it fore a guy to help them pick out their bras and panties. After all, aren't they really buying them for their boyfriend/husband's enjoyment (one way or the other).

Just go for it, and if you are successfull, let us know, so we can come buy from you.
Good Luck.