PDA

View Full Version : How camping led to a TG life...

Torrey
07-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Unintended Gifts

When I was young, we would go camping in the San Bernardino Mountains every holiday weekend. My father & “uncle” got into dirt bikes early in my life. High up in the granite mountains, they blazed trails all over the property of a family friend. High peaks, nearing 12,000 feet, surrounded the meadow we called home on these weekends.

Mom rarely made camping trips with us. She ventured out of her wine-jug fog about once a year, and on those weekends, I could invite a friend. My best friend, Chris, the youngest of seven kids, loved to come along. Most of the time, we whiled away these leisurely weekends in a nearby creek, watching out for rattlesnakes. We camped in their universe. Dad and Uncle Bob carried pistols all the time, and I learned early on how to gut and skin one of those nasty critters. As much as we both wanted, we never got to taste a cooked rattlesnake.

One Labor Day weekend, with Mom and Chris along, Dad and Uncle Bob brought the bikes. The road up the mountain serpentined along craggly precipices and vertigo-inspiring drops. A little village, once rumored to have been overrun by Hell’s Angels, sat as the last outpost of civilization before entering the wilderness. I was always allowed to pick out a comic book when we stopped.

Mom hated the dirt bikes almost as much as Chris and I hated the snakes. In later years, I would lay over a rock dangling a chrome shell casing in front of a snake burrow while Dad waited patiently for a critter to show his or her head. If only the old man had known how to properly dress out a snake skin, I would have grown up with enough usable skins for a nice pair of boots. Instead he salted them, rolled ‘em up, and left them to dry in plastic baggies.

Somehow, Dad convinced Mom to ride along one day. I recall another family had joined us, and they were “morally opposed” to guns, so we were at the mercy of the snakes. As Mom hopped on the back of her life, impending doom loomed in her eyes.

Sure enough, less than an hour later, we packed up the camp, and took her to the hospital. At some bump in the road, she flew off the back of the bike and seriously tweaked her back.

In short time, she came home from the hospital to recuperate. Dad had acquired a hospital bed (pretty sure it was rented) and one of those adjustable, hospital tables designed so the base slid under the bed. She remained in this state for a long time, during which my aunt began to ship full-strength codeine from Canada, hidden under candy bars. This, combined with her love of jug wine quickly evolved into an addiction.

The family who had joined us on that trip had a daughter my age. Caroline, an annoying, needy little thing, was a bit of a control freak. As mom’s back improved, they visited a few times.

On one of these visits, the hospital bed had disappeared, but the table remained. It had the stability of a gurney, and, kids left to be kids, our imaginations got the best of us. Caroline knew things, and possessed a curiosity, anatomically speaking, with which I was wholly unfamiliar.

The how and why of the “playing doctor” remains a bit of a mystery to me. It is crystal clear, though, that fully undressed, we examined one another. I owned one of those plastic doctor sets, replete with stethoscope and other implements of destruction. She convinced me to let her play the doctor, and with this in mind, I climbed onto the table, wearing her panties (and nothing else). I could not believe how much better her underwear felt than my traditional tighty-whities.

With a towel for a sheet, she played her role well until our giggling attracted the attention of the adults. Soon, we were surrounded by four very shocked adults. Caroline’s parents whisked her away, fully imbibed with the Canadian whiskey they’d been downing. I, on the other hand, was left behind to the scorn and accusations of both parents.

Somehow, I managed to keep the panties. They resided between my mattress and box spring for a few years. From time to time, I would sneak them out and wear them while sleeping.

Later, on a sleepover, I returned the unintended gift to Caroline, which she promptly exchanged for a new pair. Subsequent visits would involve arguments over what show to watch on the TV in my house. I never fully understood why she wanted me to watch Sonny & Cher.

At the age of eleven, I was invited to her house for a weekend sleepover. Odd that her mother had no problem with us sleeping in the same bed. In any case, for two nights, she “made” me sleep in one of her nighties. We were never caught, but it was also the last sleepover.

Eryn
07-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Interesting story, but I've lived in rattlesnake country all my life and never had to dispatch one with a gun. In most cases they will slither off long before you come on the scene as they aren't interested in anything larger than they are. In the odd occasion where one is encountered in a place where they can't or won't leave, a shovel is a surer and safer way to take care of the problem. I wouldn't want to be around well-lubricated campers who are trying to shoot a snake with pistols! :)

Danni Renee
07-29-2011, 08:07 AM
What an interesting story and so well written! Now there is curiosity though! Did you ever seen Caroline again?

Torrey
07-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Less than a eighteen months later, we moved across the country. Never saw or heard from her again...

Sallee
07-29-2011, 08:19 PM
nice story to bad you can find Caroline now and have her totally dress you Might be worth tracking her down

Cynthia Anne
07-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Very very nice story! By the way, have you still got those panties!:heehee: Thanks for sharing!:)

GG Kathy
07-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Sallee, As Torrey's SO I don't think that would be such a good idea

docrobbysherry
07-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Interesting story, but I've lived in rattlesnake country all my life and never had to dispatch one with a gun. In most cases they will slither off long before you come on the scene as they aren't interested in anything larger than they are. In the odd occasion where one is encountered in a place where they can't or won't leave, a shovel is a surer and safer way to take care of the problem. I wouldn't want to be around well-lubricated campers who are trying to shoot a snake with pistols! :)

Absolutely rite, Eryn. I've had plenty of experience with all sorts of snakes, including rattlers. Growing up in SoCal, I collected every kind of reptile I could find or mail order! Snakes r VERY shy. I expect Torrey's dad was HUNTING rattlers on purpose!

I was stationed in Arizona for a time. We prowled Cochise's Stronghold and the various ghost towns there for kicks, always wearing revolvers. While looking for treasures in such a place, I flipped over some old lumber and and out slithered a 6' Diamond Back. My friend, from Chicago, was very excited and tried to shoot it with his S&W 45. But, it was trying hard to get away fast! Finally, after he emptied his pistol without a hit, I knocked it on the head. That slowed it down enuff for him to blow it in half!

Torrey
07-29-2011, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't want to be around well-lubricated campers who are trying to shoot a snake with pistols!

Ha ha ha...you are SOOOOOOOOO asking to hear the story about the raccoon who was smarter than my drunk dad & "uncle." You've been warned :devil:

LilSissyStevie
07-29-2011, 11:03 PM
I found a diamondback just the other day in my garage having a facedown with several of my precious kitty cats. I made a noose out of some wire and a length of PVC pipe and dragged him out of there. Now what? I went back in, while still dragging the snake, and got my air pistol and blew his little pea sized brain out. I don't like killing rattlesnakes because anything that eats squirrels and rabbits is a friend to me but they are a danger to my animals so they can't hang around here.

Jess Marie
07-30-2011, 01:16 AM
I was in Texas on a hunting trip and after I shot my first buck (in my life), I wanted to do something adventurous and dangerous that I couldn't do in New York. My genius idea led to my guide calling in another guide who is an expert with snakes. I caught a 5'5 Eastern Diamond Back with 16 rattles, which he said would seriously make a good run for the record books. I had it mounted and it resides on my TV stand. It is an interesting story piece and keeps my sisters/parents out of my room. haha.

Persephone
07-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Oh! That was one interesting story, Torrey! Great!

When I was a teen my friends and I would spend weekends hunting rattlesnakes and moccasins in the Florida swamps. Rattlers, even eastern ones, do tend to be pretty shy, but we did bag a generous share of moccasins through the use of handguns and machetes. It is definitely possible to terminate snakes with a handgun, especially when they are really close and coming at you.

But I'm still a bit confused. I think you left out a few details about playing doctor, especially the part about exactly how you got inside Caroline's panties.

Hugs,
Persephone.