PDA

View Full Version : Sperm Banking

ameliabee
08-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Hi all,

One of the risks of HRT is infertility, and while that's in no way a problem for late-onset transsexuals who have already reproduced, it does represent an issue for those who have not and cannot wholly rule out the possibility of desiring children with some of the same genetic material.

Are there any definitive medical guidelines about time on HRT and decreases in fertility? I did try searching and didn't find too much. The risk is mentioned, and the general guideline is that changes are reversible within six months or so, as well as the decline in fertility as time on HRT increases beyond that, yet... I don't know. I guess there aren't really any studies on the matter. Could I safely procrastinate on this until right before SRS?

Thoughts on the matter? Advice? I get the sensation that there are regrets about not sperm banking, but... I just don't see myself as a mother... Children are such a (insert expletive of your choice here) nuisance...

Thanks,
Amelia

noeleena
08-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Hi,

I would say that if your going to go on meds not just H R T it would be wise to do what ever to save your sperm now not later or certinly not just before surgery, meds are meds they react differently for all of us, the older you get your sperm count goes down & other issue;s come up .

I would have a blood count done check your sperm count see your endo have a talk with him & go from there . many will have differening idears on this , & your best to just do what you need for your self unless you dont wont kids then as youv said your not a mother . we have 3 grown up kids 33 35 36 & 9 grandkids,

& I would not like not haveing them .

I have had contact with one sperm bank tho its in the U K . not much help for you ,I know what ours will say been there wont say done that tho ., another story.

Just thinking even after you are off meds how long, many meds take 3 months to be rejected from ones body & even then there is a residue so dont count on being free if you do start on meds,.& then for your body to reajust again may be 6 months or a year. again depends on the person & thier make up.

your last line ,,,are they . really oh when you dont come with a womb , you miss one of the most fantastic things in your life , ya ya i know bloody hard work , still worth it tho. hey thats me .

...noeleena..,

Aprilrain
08-04-2011, 06:43 AM
I think you know the answer to this! You used the word "procrastinate" which never has a positive connotation, if you wait you will likely be disappointed later.

Frances
08-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Hi all,

One of the risks of HRT is infertility, and while that's in no way a problem for late-onset transsexuals who have already reproduced, it does represent an issue for those who have not and cannot wholly rule out the possibility of desiring children with some of the same genetic material.

Thoughts on the matter? Advice? I get the sensation that there are regrets about not sperm banking, but... I just don't see myself as a mother... Children are such a (insert expletive of your choice here) nuisance...

If you want to preserve sperm, do it as soon as you can, although you can always adopt later; there are plenty of people on this planet already.

I may get some heat for this, but I find something very male about the need for some trans women to pass on their seed. I, for one, was terrifried at the idea of investing my masculinity to the point of fathering anyone. I understand that things happen by accident and other people make the choice of having kids as a father because there is no other way to be a natural parent, but something about it seems odd to me. So many trans women are now dealing with rejection and all sorts of issues regarding the children they fathered.

Aprilrain
08-04-2011, 08:28 AM
If you want to preserve sperm, do it as soon as you can, although you can always adopt later; there are plenty of people on this planet already.

I may get some heat for this, for I find something very male about the need for some trans women to pass on their seed. I, for one, was terrifried at the idea of investing my masculinity to the point of fathering anyone. I understand that things happen by accident and other people make the choice of having kids as a father because there is no other way to be a natural parent, but something about it seems odd to me. So many trans women are now dealing with rejection and all sorts of issues regarding the children they fathered.

Yes this is an almost daily issue for me. I love my kids very much but I would do it differently If I could go back. I don't mind the kids but I do mind being their dad, but even more than being their dad I HATE being called dad! My 5 year old has said to me in no uncertain terms that he will not call me anything but dad. The situation has a negative impact on our relationship at times. My situation is different than saving sperm for a later date though. Their is no doubt in my mind that being a DAD who is a woman regardless of the age of the children is tricky at best.

Melody Moore
08-04-2011, 10:01 AM
I too had kids before I transitioned & the truth is while I really do love my kids I also now wish I did things differently.

When I first thought about transitioning as a teenager, sperm banking & IVF wasn't even heard of. And I was raised
in a way to believe that it was my duty to have a son to carry on my family name. All my relationships ended in a mess
so that meant when I did have kids after the relationship break down life became very difficult. This is a problem that
also plagues some transsexuals & can be tenfold when they transition in relationships & there is kids involved.

But after considering all the problems with having kids then transitioning, I am in favour of transitioning then have
kids or at least transition when your kids are still really young. My kids have the same problem as April's son does,
they wont ever call me anything else but Dad & they have a very hard time accepting me now as being a female.
I also delayed my transitioning until my kids were grown up because I didn't want to put them through any undue
stress or cause problems or issues where they might be subject to such as teasing or bullying by their peers. But
after putting my kids first, we all seem to be paying the heavier price now. They struggle to come to terms with it
while I really miss not seeing my kids.

So if I was to do it again I would bank sperm just in case, but at the same time, I do realise that some of us were
never meant to have kids - apparently it is a miracle that I could even father kids being intersex. If I was left be or
changed to being female instead of male, then the chances were high that I most probably couldn't have kids anyway.
So instead I have to give thanks now to this miracle although it did come at a huge price because of who I really am.

There is no actual information or research about how long it takes to become infertile when you start on hormones.
We are all different & for me because I already had a low sperm count, I more than likely became sterile very quickly.
So that is another point you should consider, lower sperm counts seem to more of a problem with males today anyway.
If you want to have kids then don't start HRT under the assumption that you will remain fertile.

Amber99
08-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Sperm banking just wasn't worth the cost to me. If I eventually have a partner that wants kids we can adopt :P

Frances
08-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Plus sperm banking implies having a relationship with a woman (or hiring a surrogate). You may end up with a man, and he will not want to be impregnated!

Alexiz
08-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Sperm banking just wasn't worth the cost to me. If I eventually have a partner that wants kids we can adopt :P

I'm along with this. If by chance I ever wanted kids in the future, I will adopt.

I know there's this whole thing about "your" child being your own and all.. but I dunno. I would adopt.

ameliabee
08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks all.

The other issue I overlooked when posting last night - I'd wind up as the primary caregiver! :eek: Thanks for bringing me to my senses.