PDA

View Full Version : Jury duty...ugh!

NathalieX66
08-04-2011, 08:21 PM
So it happened again, for the second time.
I got a summons from my county to appear for jury duty for 1-3 days.
Here's the catch: It is the week before Southern Comfort Conference in Atlanta, which I'm registered to attend. God knows how these things drag on, especially when it comes to jury selection.

Sooooooo........my time is valuable, and even my employer is balking at the time I'm away from work for my vacation days which I'm spending in Atlanta.

So i'm thinking of pulling the Corporal Klinger card if I have to attend.
But most likely, I will get a sign-off from my company president, saying i am overseas that week.
I'll keep y'all posted if the Klinger scenario happens.

Shannen
08-04-2011, 08:37 PM
I did jury selection not long ago... wouldn't have minded sitting on the jury, but if you talk, you walk. What I mean is, when they ask "Does anyone have any questions or reasons they might not be able to be objective...." It's not that hard to come up with a reason. "My second cousin once got bilked out of his life savings" will work. :) Use inflammatory words to describe the situation and you'll be gone in a heartbeat!

Good luck!

Briana90802
08-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Jury duty is like being in an abusive relationship, everyone has advice about how to get out but nothing really practical.

suchacutie
08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
I understand the timing difficulties, but if you have a timing hardship you can get the date delayed for almost anything, real or not. But serving on a jury is a necessity we all need to do.

just my opinion.

Alice B
08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
All you have to do is inform the Jury selection office that you need new dates as you will be out of town. They will reschedule you at a later date, or you can go in on your own at any time.

NathalieX66
08-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Cool!
Then, in that case I'll still go en femme.

Starr
08-04-2011, 10:12 PM
I was called on jury duty last year and a lot of people tryed to get out of it.. the judge shot down almost every excuse, I didn't hear anything that worked, to get out of it. Now they were very easy to work with if you had something going on, one person had test the first week so the judge put them on a jury that wouldnt have to go in until the second week. Someone else had some kind of something going on and he told them to call in and let them know and he would try and work around those days with her... I was put on a jury, went up there one time the guy going on trail didn't show up so the judge issued a bench warrent for him and told us to go home. There wasn't much going on that time so I never had to go back to court..

andrea69j
08-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Ask why the police arrested the accused if they weren't guilty.

Cynthia Anne
08-04-2011, 11:37 PM
I'd go as Klinger! Hairy legs and all!:D:drink::heehee:

Eryn
08-04-2011, 11:52 PM
You are likely to be able to reschedule your service if you have travel scheduled. In my area it's done through an automated phone system, you don't even talk to a human.

In SoCal, those of us who are eligible to serve get called a lot, because there are a lot of people who aren't eligible to serve who also tend to commit a lot of crimes. I get a summons about every two years.

Don't screw around in court by saying things like "I can't be objective" (unless you have a good reason, of course) or "If he's not guilty why was he arrested?" Judges take umbrage at such tactics and you really don't want to become an example to keep the other prospective jurors in line.

I don't know any magic formulas to get rejected during voir dire. It may not have made much difference, but the last time around the only way that I could stay awake during the painfully boring process was to take notes continuously. I recorded everything I saw, including how people in the courtroom were dressed (the deputy DA had great taste in shoes), which jurors were questioned or bumped, etc. After three days of this I was finally bumped even though I had been questioned on the first day. I don't think that lawyers like jurors who pay too much attention to everything that is going on.

3 days of my life, about 10 actual hours working in the courtroom, and the paycheck was $8.50

Christinedreamer
08-05-2011, 12:07 AM
I have been called 2x. One trick I found the first time is finding someone close by and striking up a conversation in the waiting room loud enough for several folks to hear is what you would like to to do to child molesters and drug dealers. You would be surprised how quickly you get excused.

The second time I simply mentioned that I have a brother who is a defense attorney (can't stand the guy) and we have discussed on several occasions the deceitful and dishonest tactics attorneys always use and therefore I would be totally unable to be impartial.

IMO, as I pay taxes I do not feel obliged to also pay for gas and parking while losing a substantial amount of money from my business. The state pays for attorneys for the folks who cannot afford an attorney and they can damn well pay me for my time. If you want me to be impartial, don't take money out of my pocket and make me listen to a bunch of liars and ridiculous technicalities that all too often favor the crook.

Rachel Mari
08-05-2011, 12:14 AM
I had jury duty three weeks ago. It was suppose to be for just one day (Monday), so I was looking forward to getting out of there early and going home.
Didn't happen. I ended up getting on a jury (civil case) that was estimated to go for three days (until that Thursday) but went until Friday afternoon.

It was great. There was all kinds of things going on, sort of like what you would see on TV. There was even surprise evidence that took additional time and witnesses to go over. At the beginning of the trial, one of the lawyers asked if anyone wanted to be on the jury and no one said they did. In the end, everyone that had to stay were happy that they did. It was very interesting.
It even made it in the paper a couple of times after the case was over.

The judge didn't take any lame excuses though. A few people tried to get out and some succeeded (business owner and sole employee or big project/meeting coming up type of excuses) and one jurer called in sick the next day.

Leslie Langford
08-05-2011, 12:23 AM
...So i'm thinking of pulling the Corporal Klinger card if I have to attend...

No need to go to that extreme, unless you want to make a statement on behalf of our TG community.

An alternative approach would be that if you were asked if you believe in capital punishment, just say that not only do you believe in it - if it was up to you, you'd also bring back the Rack, the Iron Maiden, and the Cat-o'-Nine-Tails to reinforce any punishment meted out in the event of a guilty conviction.

Guaranteed that the defense attorney would move to have you excused from the case... :eek::heehee:

docrobbysherry
08-05-2011, 12:23 AM
So far, I've avoided doing time. I've had some good reasons for not serving. And, some good excuses!
I'd list them, but that would be WRONG!

Nikki A.
08-05-2011, 01:01 AM
If I remember correctly there was a thread a while back about a member who did the JD dressed and she had no problems and was treated well. Of course I think that was in California, where it seems that everything is accepted.

Karren H
08-05-2011, 02:43 AM
I had jury duty last year. Wore a 3 piece male suit and was not called. Apparently criminals don't want a well dressed well educated male on their jury! Only poorly dressed middle aged females! Lol.

AliceJaneInNewcastle
08-05-2011, 03:09 AM
I had jury duty last year. Wore a 3 piece male suit and was not called. Apparently criminals don't want a well dressed well educated male on their jury! Only poorly dressed middle aged females! Lol.

I wonder how I'd go in a suit, with my long nails painted to match my tie, and my bra-band length hair straightened and down. ;)

prettytoes
08-05-2011, 03:50 AM
My former employer wrote a letter explaining that my skills were very valuable and it would cause them hardship if I was forced to miss work. I had no jury duty and no problems. I am now self employed, so any loss of work would be a problem.
If I were on trial, I would not want someone like me on a jury (I am not very objective, I can't stand a criminal). Some of us are just not meant to serve on a jury, and sitting in a room all day is just a waste of time.

jessica renee
08-05-2011, 06:01 AM
If you would decide to go dressed, make sure you dress in a manner appropriate for the setting. Also, I wouldn't reccommend making bogus excuses to try and get out of serving, you don't want to be charged with contempt of court, might change your vacation plans for you. I do know in some places, your employer can claim that your absence would be a hardship, that might be your best move.

Reba Kay
08-05-2011, 06:18 AM
I have been on several juries over the years. My best ones that I got excused from, one by accident and the other I had no control over. The one, they where trying to select a jury and they just started the process, they wern't even asking question to anyone yet . They said it was a DUI case and named the defendent, as soon as I heard the name, couldn't help myself, I started laughing, they said do you know the defendent and I said yes, they said your excused. (he was a lush)
The secound one was a murder trial. I told them I was on pain meds and had trouble paying attention sometimes, they picked me anyway. The second day of the trial, as they where presenting evedence, I started dosing off and the judge saw me, called a recess, called me up to the bench and excused me on the spot.

Kiva
08-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I've been summoned alot over the years, and I have had time conflicts on a few. Calling the jury coordinator to tell them that I'll be out of town, but that I believe in performing my civic duty, could they please reschedule me at a later date. I've never had a problem.

Kiva

Barbra P
08-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I’ve been called a number of times, never actually made it on a jury. One trial was civil and anyone owning a boat was excused – I owned a boat at the time. Another involved a case from one of the small cities bordering San Diego where I had been an LEO. Another the Judged asked if I could be impartial since I had been an LEO and I said yes, the Defense Counsel then asked a lot of questions and when he was satisfied and said I would do the DA stood up and said I was excused – I think he felt that I was trying too hard to be impartial and over doing it. Another time the Judged asked me if I would take the word of the Border Patrol Officer over that of the defendant and I said “Well I would certainly believe this fine looking, clean-cut, gentleman (looking at the officer) over that scruffy looking person over there (looking in the direction of the defendant)” and I was excused. Three or four other times my name just wasn’t called.

While I was an LEO my Captain got called and the Judge told him that being a serving LEO wasn’t sufficient to be excused. My Captain said he was glad to hear that because he was looking forward to serving because he felt he would be the perfect juror. When asked why he thought that, my Captain replied, with a straight face, that he always knew when someone was lying because his nose would itch and his nose had never let him down when interrogating a suspect – he was immediately excused.

Another retired LEO said that in more than twenty years as an LEO he had never witnessed a false arrest by a uniformed officer in the field so if the defendant had been arrested in the field by a uniformed officer, rather than some time later by detectives following up on leads, he didn’t see how the man could be anything but guilty – he too was excused.

Another person told the Judge that he was absolutely impartial and then added that he hoped the trial would start pretty soon so they could find the defendant guilty and he could home early. He received a long lecture from the Judge including a threat of being charged with contempt, but when the Judge was through the Defense Attorney excused him.

kimdl93
08-05-2011, 01:06 PM
why not go as Nathalie. She's cute, but still might be excused. And remind your boss that jury duty, tho its a pain in the *** is also a civic duty.

NathalieX66
08-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I'd go as Klinger! Hairy legs and all!:D:drink::heehee:

No hairy legs with me, Cynthia.
When I'm girl, I'm all girl. ...no half measures here.

I like karren Hutton's idea the best. the idea of dealing with someone that looks sharp and important would be a hindrance to the lawyers involved.

Leslie, I have no interest in degrading the TG community, that includes myself.

I keep forgetting the fact that trials are painful expereinces to both parties involved. For instance, the last time I got called for jury duty, it involved an infant death where the parents were suing a doctor for his treatment, which the baby died from.
"Showboating", or "me being me" seems a little insensitive if i showd up en femme, now that I look back on it. I guess it's my feminine side that is showing compassion here, even in the face of adversity of others.

Kim_Bitzflick
08-05-2011, 03:59 PM
I am an engineer. I have never served on a jury, but I have been told that usually engineers are excused. I guess they just don't want someone who looks at things too objectively.

Sheren Kelly
08-05-2011, 04:03 PM
In DC, I get called nearly every 2 years (like clockwork).
I'm not trying to moralize here, but I accept it as the price of citizenship. Yes, I did make up for my lost work in the evenings and weekends. Also, for the juries I have served on, it was an interesting, though sometimes frustrating experience.

As for going enfemme, I think Dilane has already broken that barrier.

RADER
08-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Just tell them that you believe in the death penalty and would love to see a hanging. LOL
Rader

chelle
08-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I served on a jury recently in which I worked on the election campaign for the judge who was running against the defense attorney in this trial. I also knew the prosecutor and had taught his daughter in school. After all the jury questioning and before the final selections were made, I told the judge that I felt that a couple of questions by the defense attorney were extremely rude and unnecessary and I did not appreciate his mannerism. I was still selected to be on the jury. It was very interesting. The judge was a hoot to talk with when the trial was not in session.
Chelle

Nicole Erin
08-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Maybe they could re-schedule SCC instead?

Anyways at jury duty, maybe act like you know the defendant. I mean last time I was called, that wasn't how I got out of it but I think if you personally know the defendant then you are dismissed. Even a comment like, "Oh yeah I know him, I never expected to see him in court..."

OR - make sounds like someone getting killed, like buzzing sounds or choking sounds or go "ZHING!" every so often like a guillotine.

I mean what if you go to court and it is some real serious case like someone is there for murder one or something?

joank
08-05-2011, 08:32 PM
I wear my National Rifle Association T-shirt or a civil war reenactor shirt with US and CSA flags on them. I get excused b the defense team. Anyway, this works here on the 'left coast' of America.

Jennie the CD
08-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Well, I've never been called to Jury Duty and I do think it is one of the costs for the price of freedom, citizenship and so on. I am very opinionated and have my own strong opinions of things, sometimes regardless of the evidence. I think I might have a hard time listening to 11 morons ( see? ) try to decide what the answer was, when I had come to the conclusion before even being sequestered. I don't need to hear anyone's opinions, let alone 11 other opinions. For this reason, I think I'd be a lousy jury member and cause the case to result in a hung jury. Think "12 Angry Men" with out the last scene.

MistyCD
08-06-2011, 07:11 AM
In the past, I had the perfect excuse for not being called for jury duty. I was a volunteer firefighter. In NJ on the bottom of the form is a check box for volunteer services, ie fire or first aid. I simply checked the box, wrote the name of the vol fire company down and that was it.

not being a firefigher anymore, I got a notice in the mail about JD. It turns out that we only have to stay home and call in to see if were needed. I called the court the week before, spoke to some one in the judeges chamber and told him about my hypertension medication which contains a diuretic and i would have to leave to use the rest room. I never got called.

TxKimberly
08-06-2011, 07:27 AM
I did jury selection not long ago... wouldn't have minded sitting on the jury, but if you talk, you walk. . .

Exactly right! Where I live, after jury duty they allow you to ask the judge and the lawyers about your experience and I flat out asked the lawyers.
"I don't get it! Y'all had almost a hundred people out there, and when you started your question and answer period, a good deal of them spoke up. I, on the other hand, sat there quietly and said nothing, and yet you picked me out of the crowd. Why?" I asked
"Every person that spoke up gave us a reason to disqualify them." he replied with a huge grin.
So, if you dont want to get picked, open your mouth and ask a lot of questions, the dumber the better.
A year ago I would have been offended at the very idea of trying to weasel your way out of jury duty, but after spending almost a week on the jury for aggravated child molestation, I am no longer so eager to do my civic duty. I honestly don't think I could stand to do that again . . .

Vieja
08-06-2011, 08:29 AM
One of the few benefits of being an old person is no more jury duty. If I was on a jury I would probably fall asleep.

Vieja

BiancaEstrella
08-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Was it a summons to sign up for jury duty, or was it actual jury assignment? I find it weird that they'd just assign you the dates via non-certified mail.

I got my summons during the Saints' Super Bowl run and had to report right after it. I was able to talk to a clerk and defer my jury duty by a couple of months. My job (and specifically, my position) is high demand until a certain point, which I explained and she understood, so I was able to go in right after everything calmed down.

Intertwined
08-06-2011, 02:30 PM
This is what I wore the last time to jury duty.

The first problem was getting in the building, didn't think about all the metal in the corset, and metal rings on the skirt setting off the metal detector, as I walked through the metal detector, the sheriff officer just look and me with a grin, and said " O.K. Lift it ", the skirt I was wearing, you could hide a shotgun under.

This outfit did not stop me from getting called up and questioned, but when asked if you have any family members convicted of a felony? I have to answer yes, my stepfather is serving a life sentence for 1st degree murder, at that point I was excused.

Don't get me wrong, I was not trying to get out of jury duty, I would love to be on a jury someday, never have, and just thought it best to be me.

Diane Smith
08-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I did a week of jury duty just last month. I was only called to the courthouse on two days. I got so far as to be interviewed for one jury, but was excused by the prosecutor. I dressed in casual male mode but always have very long acrylic nails and eye makeup (permanent) on. I don't know, but kind of suspect, that my appearance had something to do with my being rejected. So, I never wound up on a jury. It's the first time I've been called (even though I've been a lifelong resident of this community). Kind of a let-down, actually, since I do feel that it's an important civic responsibility and I could do a good job of it. I was generally fairly impressed by the other potential jurors I met while waiting to serve. They were generally an older, white, female group. A large number of them were current or retired teachers or librarians (we have summers off). Mostly quite intelligent and responsible types.

- Diane

donnalee
08-07-2011, 06:22 AM
I get called for jury duty once a year without fail. There is a call-in the night before and most of the time I am told I'm not needed. The few times I have gone in, I've only got to the court room once and was never called to be questioned. The worst part was that my employer would have paid my salary while I was serving and it would have been a nice change of pace. Now that I'm retired, I figure it's nearly certain that I will get picked - got my notice for the end of this month.
When I was running my own business, I said I would have to close shop and the employees I had would lose their incomes while I was serving. This was a successful excuse, as serving would have caused undue hardship.

jenna_woods
08-07-2011, 06:45 AM
hope it works out for you hun

susiej
08-07-2011, 09:33 AM
I got to the individual questioning phase in jury selection for a lawsuit about a property boundary a year or so ago. I was actually looking forward to serving, civic duty, change of pace, and so on. But, the specific lawsuit was obviously, clearly, absurdly, annoyingly frivolous, and it reminded me of a stupid lawsuit I was involved in 15 years ago. In my county, the judge asks the questions. She asked me if I'd ever been involved in a lawsuit before, and I said yes. She then asked if the experience had any affect on my respect for the legal process. I answered, "no, but it certainly diminished my respect for certain kinds of lawyers". Not only did I get a big laugh from the courtroom, but the plaintiff's attorney in the case used a summary challenge to boot me!

I was relieved, because I didn't relish having to put my own beliefs aside and determine if the plaintiff had been inflicted with serious "pain and suffering" because of an 8-inch encroachment on a property line.

PretzelGirl
08-07-2011, 11:24 AM
If I remember correctly there was a thread a while back about a member who did the JD dressed and she had no problems and was treated well. Of course I think that was in California, where it seems that everything is accepted.

If my memory has anything left to it, I believe that was Diane.

Carla
08-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Duh? Even someone who murders someone in broad daylight in front of 10 adult sober witnesses is innocent.............until proven guilty. Perhaps that is why they were placed under arrest???? Just saying. Maybe to keep them from doing it again and again while waiting for trial??

Stephanie47
08-07-2011, 04:59 PM
The last time I was on jury duty they did not even excuse a county prosecuting attorney from the jury pool for an entire week. Go figure! I've always found the clerk was more agreeable to an extension than trying to tell the judge you had too much work, etc and couldn't sit for three months for a capital murder trial. If you do decide to just skip the reporting date to go to the conference make sure you call up when you get back with I just forgot excuse. That's better than having a bench warrant issued for not appearing and being hauled off to jail after being stopped en femme on a traffic stop.

My county publishes the court docket for the expected trial dates with the cause of actions/trials. You can brush up on the penal code and find some outrageous things to say about the charges levied against the defendant.

Eryn
08-07-2011, 05:19 PM
...She then asked if the experience had any affect on my respect for the legal process. I answered, "no, but it certainly diminished my respect for certain kinds of lawyers". Not only did I get a big laugh from the courtroom, but the plaintiff's attorney in the case used a summary challenge to boot me! I was relieved, because I didn't relish having to put my own beliefs aside and determine if the plaintiff had been inflicted with serious "pain and suffering" because of an 8-inch encroachment on a property line.

Unfortunatly, there is a wide chasm between the way the jury system is supposed to work and the way it does work. When I heard the questions being asked of prospective jurors it became apparent that the lawyers weren't interested in jurors who could impartially weigh the evidence and come to a verdict. They were much more interested in the brinksmanship of selecting jurors that would be easy to sway.