PDA

View Full Version : My current reality

Shannen
08-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Recently I've been exploring ways to incorporate my desire for dressing in clothes from the women's rack with the practicality of not having the time to go all out with makeup and a wig. I still love to do that, don't get me wrong! The problem is that I get frustrated by wearing a skirt and some cute pumps when I can't go out and show them off!

I've put in thousands of miles dressed that way, but what happens at the gas station? I don't choose to pump gas as a man in a skirt, so I always end up pulling into a parking spot first to switch back to my Dockers and Doc's. In cold weather I can at least leave the bra and blouse on and just cover up with a coat. But I always wish I could just stay dressed as I feel most comfortable...

To solve the dilemma, I've invested in some ladies slacks. (no hate mail please!) Well, about 30 pairs so far, only about 120 more to go to match my skirt collection! Dress slacks, jeans, capris, even shorts I guess would qualify as 'non-skirt' attire. To go along with these I look for tops that aren't too dressy, but certainly feminine, along with proper footwear.

The reason I'm writing is that I spent the entire day dressed like this. I had on some stretchy, sand colored jeans, with cute little pockets front and back, some black "loafers" that have a small buckled strap and a 1" wedge heel, and a striped, long sleeved button front top. I felt at ease as I went about my day, which is probably why I had such a great day of shopping! I enjoyed being out among others, being accepted for whatever they saw in me.

Two particular interactions made my day! (year? lifetime?) At a resale shop I hauled an armload of clothing into the changing room and had at it. Usually I guess about fit, but not any more, just too big of a hassle to return/exchange! When I was just about done, I heard a couple of SA's discussing if the cart outside the room was a shoppers, or theirs to put away. I went out and claimed the cart, and they asked if the items were keepers, or if they should put them back. We all knew that there was only female clothing in the cart, but I boldly stated, "They're keepers, I like them all!" One SA went on her way, the other stayed and struck up a conversation with me.

"You're lucky to have found such good stuff here, the guys are starting to spread the word about our store," she said.

"I did find some great clothes, I stop by here whenever I'm in town, and you really do have some good finds!"

We spent a few minutes talking about how other towns I visit differ in their selection, along with her plans on finishing school to get a new job etc... All the time I stood there with a dress, skirt, slacks, and a few blouses that I had just tried on in the dressing room.

She didn't bat an eye, and today, neither did I.

I then hit up a Payless store and when asked if I was looking for anything particular, I admitted that I was! Size 11W or 12, on "this side of the aisle." :) Big smile on her face as she spent a minute showing me what she thought were the current cute styles. As I was modelling some Mary Jane pumps she came back with some "just off the truck" boxes and we discussed heel height... and my height... She assured me I wasn't the tallest "guy in heels" she had seen!

...cloud 9...

So, I'm becoming more comfortable with presenting as a guy who prefers feminine attire. I'm sure that someone, somewhere today took offense at that, but they didn't let me know about it. Instead, I feel like I made two new friends, and will stop back at those stores and spend more money at the next chance!

Thanks for reading, I just had to let someone know.

-Hugs-

BillieLynne
08-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Loved the story! Was it a big store (Kohl's, etc.)?

Shannen
08-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Loved the story! Was it a big store (Kohl's, etc.)?

No... it was a resale store. I did hit up Shopko and Old Navy too... just didn't have any reason to interact there, as I didn't find anything to try on.

-Hugs-

Cynthia Anne
08-04-2011, 11:26 PM
There's nothing like having a good time shopping!! I do not worry about what others think while I'm out! If my money isn't good enough for them, the next place down the road will gladly take it! Weather I'm in male or female mode, you will never catch me without lipstick and earrings on and my purse on my arm or shoulder! Hugs!

kimdl93
08-05-2011, 07:46 AM
what a great shopping experience. SAs today generally seem very cool with CDs. My cynical self would say that my money is as good as anyone elses, but I do think that there is a growing acceptance, even support for CDrs, at least among women. Maybe after generations of male oppression, they like seeing more of us joining their team?

Dawn cd
08-05-2011, 08:26 AM
I know how you feel about being a guy in a skirt. If you don't have time to put on makeup, a bra and a wig, you look ridiculous in a skirt, so you settle for women's slacks and a gender-ambiguous top. Some of my slacks are side-zips w/o pockets--in which case I need a bag to carry my wallet & keys (and kleenex, and toothbrush, and checkbook, and appointment book, and lipstick, powder, perfume, umbrella, etc., etc., etc.). The kind of bag I carry is another signal: something more than a man-bag but not an over-the-top femme purse. It's fun to see how many signals one can throw out and still stay under the radar. When I get double-takes on the street, I know I've used one signal too many.

NV Susan
08-05-2011, 03:07 PM
It's fun to see how many signals one can throw out and still stay under the radar. When I get double-takes on the street, I know I've used one signal too many.Dawn, I just love your terminology of throwing out "signals". I do the same all the time. Along with the slacks and top I also like to wear some black female shoes, flat or with a little heal, and a bra along with a top you might be able to see my bra thru.

Shannen
08-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Some of my slacks are side-zips w/o pockets--in which case I need a bag to carry my wallet & keys.

;) I love those also, but for some reason my wife hates them... My second favorite fem feature is the opposite way zipper. It's surprisingly hard to find those, I suppose the manufacturing process for male/female pants are done on the same line mostly.

Sometimes when I notice another guy out dressed in nice clothes, I'll check out the button and zipper direction to see if I can figure out if they're shopping off the same racks I am.