PDA

View Full Version : Today is a big day for me (x-posted for those who don't have access to my T-journal).

DanielMacBride
08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Today is the 10th of August, and that means it is now four years since I first came out and went fulltime and officially started my transition (yes, I did all of that on the same day). It's kind of strange looking back and trying to remember what life was like four years ago, it's a bit like trying to remember the life of a distant relative or something. But when I see how far I have come in that four years, I couldn't be more removed from that person that started this journey - there are still certain things I struggle with on a daily basis, but overall I am much more confident, happy, and secure in my own identity than, four years ago, I would have ever imagined possible. Today I have a semblance of normality and sanity in my life (still some areas I'm working on lol, but everyone has those), a family and a distinctly visible future that makes me happy and proud to be me - and I couldn't ask for more. I have everything I could ever have asked for in my life, and today I will be going to hospital for my pre-admission appointment ahead of my hysto surgery next week - life is pretty damn good! I did have a giggle at myself because normally I absolutely hate hospitals with a passion and try to avoid them at all costs, but right now I can't WAIT to be in hospital and am so excited that I can't sleep, and the 17th can't come fast enough for me!

mistunderstood
08-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Sounds awesome. I hope every thing turns out ok. Hopefully this week speeds by for you. I will think about you over the next few weeks. Try to get your rest you will need it.

DanielMacBride
08-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Well, so much for that. I was on the train heading to my pre-admission appointment when the hospital phoned to tell me it was cancelled (nice of them to give me any NOTICE) and that my surgery has been rescheduled for September 7th because the surgeon has been called away unexpectedly and won't be here. So I'm pretty pissed right now because I have to reschedule all the arrangements I made to cover things while I was in surgery and recovering (like my pain clinic appointments, someone to babysit Ethan, and a whole bunch of other work-related stuff that I timed to fit in with the surgery and that will be a COLOSSAL pain in the behind to reorganise).

mistunderstood
08-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Oh man that sucks. So close to. When I have a beer tonight I will drink to you and hope this is just a glitch. I would be really pissed off.

DanielMacBride
08-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Yeah, really pissed off is a bit of an understatement actually. I made sure I let them know exactly how unhappy I am at the late notice of the change, especially because I have to rearrange a LOT of stuff that I had already rearranged to work around the surgery, and now the new date is really going to mess a lot of it up and there are some things I rearranged that I can't change a second time. Seriously, you'd think I had nothing better to do but sit on my backside and wait for the surgery, apparently I can just reorganise everything at the drop of a hat and it isn't a big deal. And it's not like I am, say, a woman who might have wanted more kids and wasn't too happy about getting the hysto done - I seriously don't think they have ANY idea just how much mental preparation is involved for this kind of surgery and how much it screws with a guy's head when they stuff around like this and put it off. Now I have to re-psych myself for the surgery and everything, I am NOT. HAPPY. JAN.

mistunderstood
08-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Just like the people in charge to think you the person have nothing better to do. Hurry up and wait. If you was the one wanting to change the plans they would read you the riot act. I know that sucks the big one. Been there done that to many times to think about. Hold tight and hang in there.

Felix
08-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Sorry to hear that Dan I know that feeling when surgery gets cancelled and stuff and ya have to re arrange so many things that ya have ordered around having surgery. Good luck and I hope it all sorts itself out for ya :-) ....Felix

Congrats on ya four years anniversary too :-)

ReineD
08-11-2011, 01:56 AM
I was reading your first post and feeling so happy for you ... and then I read the rest. How awful! I can just imagine the difficulty in reorganizing everything, not to mention the head trip!

I'm so sorry .... :sad:

I'd be hugely p*ssed too. :Angry3:

Pythos
08-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Congrats on taking this step, as well as with reaching this milestone. You have shown great perseverence and most likely will continue to do so. Your courage should be an example for all of us that buck the traditional social norms.

As far as your delays....just one more bump of life.

Encountered much the same in my life, so I have a feeling what it is like. Hang in there.