PDA

View Full Version : Dear Abby

Phoebe Reece
10-10-2005, 11:17 AM
This is on today's Dear Abby column:

SON'S SHAVING HIS LEGS IS ROUGH FOR MOM TO HANDLE

DEAR ABBY: My son, "Max," is 14. We have always been able to talk about everything. I have always told him he could trust me and his father. I am very proud of him.
Yesterday I was shocked speechless because Max shaved his legs! Although I almost had a heart attack, I tried to remain calm. He says that all his friends are doing it, and that the girls like it. His father sat down with him and told him that men do not shave their legs. My son says it is the fashion, and hairy legs are not "in."

Max is a wonderful young man. People always tell me how lucky we are to have such a terrific son. Am I overreacting? I'm confused and beginning to feel the generation gap. -- WORRIED MOM IN PUERTO RICO

DEAR WORRIED: Calm down and stop worrying. You have asked your son to trust you; now it's time to trust your son. Many perfectly normal males shave their legs -- including athletes, bodybuilders, bicyclists, swimmers and people in the public eye. And I'm sure many girls do like it, because it shows muscle definition to better advantage.

P.S. It's only hair. It will grow back.

Natalie x
10-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Yup, that's the world out there alright. :confused:

Tamara Croft
10-10-2005, 11:24 AM
My son says it is the fashion, and hairy legs are not "in."

<snip>It's 'in fashion' ?? now there's a new one ;) maybe it is over tha' eh?

urban gypsy
10-10-2005, 11:29 AM
I've heard of sportsman shaving legs, but not as a fashion thing.

KatieZ
10-10-2005, 11:31 AM
This is on today's Dear Abby column:

SON'S SHAVING HIS LEGS IS ROUGH FOR MOM TO HANDLE
His father sat down with him and told him that men do not shave their legs.

Well that's just typical of an ignorant society! No way will they try to understand when anyone goes against "the norm". Bastid's

susandrea
10-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Proof we are descended from apes.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/susanxo/ihatehairybacks.jpg:D

This isn't hair, it's FUR!

GiniGirl
10-10-2005, 11:36 AM
There was a brief article in Tennis Magazine not too long ago in which &quot;hairless legs&quot; were noted as a trend for the men on the pro tour. Of course, there were a few men that said they really liked the way their legs looked without hair, and more than a few that thought it was totally uncool!

Lauren_T
10-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Well, ~T~, Puerto Rico is, I suppose you could say, 'over here,' but Puerto Rican culture is still very traditionally Latino and mainstream American culture is not prevalant outside San Juan...

It's Latinos, with their heavy emphasis on tradition who are the major ethnic group in the West that still clings to the old-fashioned sex-rĂ´le stereotypes... after all, that's whence the word 'macho' comes...:D

Wendy me
10-10-2005, 11:58 AM
hairles legs ??? what are thay going to think of next??? like abby said it's only hair......no biggy ....

Samantha Jane
10-10-2005, 02:04 PM
It's 'in fashion' ?? now there's a new one ;) maybe it is over tha' eh?

It is in our house :D

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-10-2005, 02:04 PM
I've found it ironic that the men who shave are typically the most the most macho -- athletes, models for Men's Health, etc. -- and those of us who decide to be femme....

BTW, Abby's been very supportive of CD/TGs in past columns.

Lauren_T
10-10-2005, 02:59 PM
I've found it ironic that the men who shave are typically the most the most macho -- athletes, models for Men's Health, etc. -- and those of us who decide to be femme....

BTW, Abby's been very supportive of CD/TGs in past columns.Yes, young "Abby" is progressive in some ways, but her mother was often rigidly conformist and closed-minded...:)

Sarahgurl371
10-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Haven't got the courage to shave my legs past where ny boxers end yet. Would love to though. I need more info like this to plead my case! Have to change in a locker room for work.

Did you see the Dear Abby about the Preacher who CDs under his regular clothes? It was written by a confused wife. Abby told her to get some information, and that it wasn't a sin, or morally wrong. You go girl!

MarinaTwelve200
10-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Did you see the Dear Abby about the Preacher who CDs under his regular clothes? It was written by a confused wife. Abby told her to get some information, and that it wasn't a sin, or morally wrong. You go girl!

Speaking of "cross-Dressing" Preachers----About easter time several churches erect these full size wooden crosses outside the front entrance. The minister them often "Dresses" the cross by draping a decorative white or purple bolt of cloth across it.
A few of us parishoners got a big laugh when we asked where the preacher was, one day---and his wife replied---"Oh, he's out front, Cross-Dressing"

windycissy
10-10-2005, 11:29 PM
I had the biggest smile when I read that column...was with a GG who shrugged it off, like "no big deal" - I have shaved my body completely many times, and because I am big on swimming, none of my friends give it a second glance. And a lot of girls hate body hair on a guy. As Andre Agassi (who was the first major tennis star to shave down) used to say, "Just do it!" Windy

TGMarla
10-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I had heard that young males are at time shaving their legs, and that it was a fashion trend. I was still too chicken. Drat!

I should be more trendy.

Abraxas
10-11-2005, 04:03 AM
I know plenty of guys who shaved their legs in high school (and still do).
My buddy Sina, in fact, shaves his chest as well (and probably more, but I can't say I've checked!).
None of the guys were particularly athletic, necessarily. I never asked why they did it. But none of them seemed embarassed about it or anything-- in fact, most of them showed it off and compared their legs with the girls to see whose were smoother.

knelson
10-11-2005, 05:43 PM
I shaved my legs for years because of playing sports. Did that cause me to be a "sissy boy" as the article implied. No! However, it did make my legs look much better in hose. :cool:

Janice_2591
10-11-2005, 05:50 PM
In addition to shaving my legs, I do my arms and undr them and I also shave that area covered by my panties. Why do I do this. Well, I think it is more hygienic. I work closely with people and I like them to be able to work closely with me, without having to shy away from me because I smell. Before, I began removing the hair from my body I had a difficult time with body odours, but no longer now that I am hair free. So, guys if you want a plausible excuse use this one. I do and it works, trust me I wear panties.