PDA

View Full Version : First Visit with Clinician-Need advice

StephanieC
08-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Ok, I finally got up enough nerve to book an appointment with a clinician who is listed as a specialty with Transgender. What advice can you give me:
1. how do I approach the subject of HRT? (this is a medical doctor)
2. how do I dress (do I dress in an overtly fem style)?
3. anything else I should consider?

(My appointment is on Monday)

Thank you SO much!
-stephani

CharleneT
08-11-2011, 09:13 PM
How do you normally dress ? I'd consider being as honest as possible with this doc. Do you have any supporting documentation for this doctor, that says you should have HRT ?? Normally you get a letter from a therapist about this. Chances are very good that the doctor is not going to be willing to write out scripts until you have a diagnosis of GID. He/she might decide to act without that letter, but normally they'll want it. Sorry I am speaking backwards a bit here... how to bring up the subject of HRT ? Just explain yourself and ask.

Rianna Humble
08-12-2011, 12:41 PM
If this is your first visit to the doctor, I think you should dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable. For my first visit to a doctor to discuss getting help for my GID, I presented as a man except for my shoes, other people go entirely en femme or entirely male garb.

The doctor is going to want to know about you, I would use this time to mention hormone therapy.

The only other thing I can think of is to remember that the doctor is there to help you.

Dita_B
08-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Just tell your doctor that you want his help to start the process of becoming a woman... It's a simple as that...

However, it's not an MD's job to assess you for emotional suitability for HRT... He only prescribes it and checks your physical ability to deal with Hormone Replacement Treatment... The psychological assessment is done by a psychologist who is linked to the system... So the doctor will most likely refer you to a therapist for a suitability assessment, before he prescribes anything... This is nothing more than an assessment of your emotional stability as there is no established diagnosis yet for Gender Disphoria Disorder...

You should definitely go en femme, to prove your determination to transition... However, dress demure and wear a longer skirt than on your profile picture..

In light of the above, you don't have to worry about anything, just be yourself... and be very self confident in your objectives...

Dita xo

StephanieC
08-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the input.

I did show up after having trouble finding the place. I wore femme shoes, pants, unbuttoned shirt, only mascara for makeup. She asked how I wanted to be addressed: I said I wasn't particular except if I was in a dress or skirt, I preferred "Stephani". Her goal is to help me get closer to transition (she wanted to know if I wanted her to counsel me away or toward that point) but she can't help past that point (though she is a doctor). I'm unclear if she can help with hormones or even get me closer to hormones.

It was a pleasant hour...more of a "setting the groundwork" sort of session. My next appointment is next week and I'm not sure how I'll dress. I need to take off early from work though. This time, I was not nervous.

-stephani

CharleneT
08-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Good luck next week, I hope it goes well for you. I'd start looking for a therapist. As Dita said, the doc's main job is helping you stay healthy if it is recommended to start HRT. She will be looking for a recommendation from a qualified therapist before you talk seriously about starting HRT.

JenniferZ2009
08-17-2011, 08:52 PM
I went ot my first appointment in mens cloths because I had just barely been able to get out of work. My therapist was a bit concerned but I explained what happened and she was cool with it. I wore what I wear as a female normally to the remainder or my appointments.

StephanieC
08-18-2011, 10:12 PM
I'd start looking for a therapist. As Dita said, the doc's main job is helping you stay healthy if it is recommended to start HRT. She will be looking for a recommendation from a qualified therapist before you talk seriously about starting HRT.

Ok, stupid question: how does "a therapist" compare to "a psychiatrist?"

celeste26
08-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Not stupid question.

A therapist is any sort of qualified counselor whereas a psychiatrist is an MD in addition to a counselor and can prescribe drugs for you they usually a get a higher fee too.

Melody Moore
08-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Here is how things happened for me....

My gender clinic has never seen me or known me as a male. I decided to start my own RLE to see
how I would feel living as a female for a month before I decided to approach my local gender clinic
about Hormone Therapy. So I presented as a female & had two appointments a week apart with 2
different doctors. Both these doctors thought I was already on hormone therapy & thought I had
electrolysis for facial hair removal & were very surprised to find out that I wasn't. On my second
visit on the 20th of August 2010 I was prescribed hormones. I had also demonstrated that I was
fully aware of the health risks and was also fully comfortable in my gender role as a female & that
I had already come out to family & friends, had been rejected by family but was OK & expected it.

So I think they are keen to know about how you are dealing with issues like this & how settled you
are in your gender role or how prepared you are to deal with discrimination, rejection etc. They also
like to know how informed you are & if you are fully aware of what to expect with taking hormones.

Its now been a year for me this weekend where I have been on hormones & it only feels like yesterday
So be patient, just do whatever is right for you & usually that is just be your true self. Be open & honest
and you will get there before you know it. I can't get over how quickly the past year has just gone by.

Empress Lainie
08-19-2011, 11:51 AM
My three current female doctors all thought I was a gg until I told them.

Alicia Ryanne
08-19-2011, 02:12 PM
It will all depend on the doctor and therapist. Some are sticklers for adhering to the WPATH guidelines. Others not. In my case, even though my therapist has officially diagnoses me with GID and has openly stated that she thinks I should be on hormones "like yesterday", she wont write the referral letter to go to the endocrinologist until 3 months have past since my first visit with her. It is stated in the current version of the WPATH guide that eligibilty criteria is for 3 months of psychotherapy or 3 months of RLE to get hormones. While the WPATH guide is just a guide, some therapists and doctors adhere to it like its the bible.
One person's experience may not translate to you. Some people have been fortunate and have gone to a therapist or doctor and been given a script that day, others end up waiting for months to satisfy some ethereal guideline.

StephanieC
08-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Aak...I think I'm still confused. I guess I'll continue to go to this psychiatrist for a few sessions and see what results. I was hoping she would get me closer to hormones but not sure. Or perhaps she is deciding whether I do have GID: not sure. I do have a strong desire to go enfemme whereas I don't normally get out alot.

By the way, thanks to all for your advice.

Jessinthesprings
08-20-2011, 06:59 PM
1. how do I approach the subject of HRT? (this is a medical doctor)

Depends on why you are there. If you want HRT tell him/her that's why you are there.

2. how do I dress (do I dress in an overtly fem style)?
Go however you are comfortable. However, if you are looking to get HRT I think showing up as your chosen gender shows how serious you are about this decision

3. anything else I should consider?
Read everything there is to know about what you are going there for. If it's HRT know the pros but especially the cons. Know where the targets are for your homones and have an idea of your doseages. But, with that in mind know that your docotor spent 8 years in school plus years in residency and practice and take his/her directions for your treatment seriously.