PDA

View Full Version : Flying enfemme, need help.

Ediosa
08-14-2011, 09:48 AM
This will be the first time for me flying enfemme. I will be flying from Jacksonville, Fl, to Austin, Texas via Nashville. I am not nervous about being enfemme, but I am nervous about going through the TSA. Now the reason I am nervous is because as many know, we don't look like our ID. I've many times have shown my ID while enfemme and many have told me that I don't come close to looking like it. :heehee: Well, I'm sorry if I do such as good job...LOL!! Well, just the fact of going to the ticket counter (flying Southwest), TSA, through Nashville and then the Car ticket counter is something that has me worried because I know I will have to show my ID. Does anyone have suggestions? Plus, should I wear my jewelry or place it in a bag for after I go through the screening? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I can't wait because this is one of the experiences I really really wanted to do. I am also going to take videos of the process and plenty of pictures.

Thanks ladies
Elizabeth

VickysBFF
08-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi Elizabeth: Although I have not "flown pretty" myself, from reading about others on this board who have done so the consensus is that in the majority of cases you will not have any problems as long as you are flying domestic. Flying international is another story. Most who have flown pretty have not encountered any issues but one or two have so just be prepared.
I would caution against wearing any jewelry because I have seen a few GGs wearing lots of jewelry that have had problems. Earrings are fine but I would not wear any bracelets, necklaces, etc. as they will set off alarms and you will have to take all of them off.

Suzy Parker
08-14-2011, 09:59 AM
That sounds interesting and possibly quite fun. I wish you the best in this. I would put anything metal in a bag through security and put it on after. Also, just make sure to not wear a corset as the front busk and metal stays will trigger that thing for sure. Older foundation garments also had metal stays as well. Not sure about underwire bras though, guess that would depend on the size of the wire.

Have fun.

Suzy2

PretzelGirl
08-14-2011, 10:12 AM
I haven't flown pretty (yet anyway). But on the jewelry side of things, I probably would do the same thing I do in drab. At the beginning of security where the lines form, there normally is some area where you can get ziploc bags. I grab a couple and put everything (large jewelry, belts, anything in the pockets) in them and then put them in my carry-on (your purse in this instance). This way I get through the line easily and have as little as possible to grab on the other side. Then I can move off to where I want and pull those items out and put them back on (or in my pockets for drab stuff). I just hate the hassle of fussing with things right at the machine.

Aleria
08-14-2011, 10:19 AM
What a coincidence! I was just logging on to write how easy this is. I've done it a few times...

I'm at this moment standing at the gate about to board. Completely femme (as I prefer).

Everyone helpful and polite. Even the rental car shuttle driver helped with bags, ma'am'ing me throughout.

TSA? No issue. Treated as gender presented, as long as ID matched boarding pass.

Fly! It's actually one of the more comfortable places to be.

erickka
08-14-2011, 10:32 AM
I'd have a real problem here. I was stopped by a Sheriff's Deputy a couple of weeks ago, and nearly arrested because he said it was not my license. My D/L is 5 years old and I have lost 50 lbs and a lot of hair since then. My wife has also told me that since we left the harsh Florida sun that my skin looks so much younger (which is a good thing for Erickka) so I can see what all the fuss was about on the officer's end. I am not scheduled to renew for another 2 years, but maybe sooner may be better.

kellyanne
08-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Don't quite know how to do that in Canada.

Here one must present as the person on the driver's license or passport image.

The ID images cannot be taken en femme if one is a man or en homme if one is a woman.

My understanding of Canadian law is we have no right to fly en femme.

A GRS TS is by law a man or woman and has the rights and privileges attached ie: they can use the new gender image on a DL or

passport and legally use a female washroom ; here - a man dressed as a woman cannot - period.

In 35 years of Canadian travel I have never seen a CD in an airport ... let alone on a flight.

Do any other Canadian girls have updated info or experience with this?

Wendy_Marie
08-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I recently went to the local DMV and obtaine4d a Missouri State ID card with my male name but my female picture on it....the purpose behind doing this for me was due to an incident where a Clerk at a local conveinence store refused to allow me to use my debit card with my male Drives License....I think he was just being a jerk, but according to the person from my bank whom I told about this incident...this was my best course of action...haven't had to use it yet...but it does establish exactly who I am when I am dressed.....Might be worth checking out.

Dana921
08-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I have travelled in femme and my photo on my DL is old as well, I do not look like the photo even in guy mode any more! Did not have any issues at all and was treated very politely by the TSA and airline folks. I chose to minimize my jewelry both on me and put the rest of it in the check in baggage for the trip so going through the metal detector was not an issue! Though I did remove what I had on and send it through the scanner just so I would not beep and draw additional attention to myself.

Hope you have a great trip!

Dana

Alice B
08-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Contact TXKimberly. She is the master at flying dressed. See her new post today.

TxKimberly
08-14-2011, 12:13 PM
I am on about four airplanes a week, and more often than not I do it cross dressed, so I guess that makes me something of an expert on the subject. The rules are really quite simple - NEVER lie to or try to mislead the TSA or the airline. Use your legal name and your legal gender. At the very least, the airline Customer Service Rep and the TSA inspector that checks your ID ARE going to know that you are a cross dresser regardless of how well you pass. If you can not handle that thought, then you need to pack your pretty things and fly in boy mode. If that thought doesn't bother you much, then you will be just fine.
A few tips to help you prepare:

Never try to mislead the Airline or TSA.
Use your legal ID with your legal info on it. It wont be a problem that your ID makes it clear that you are a male.
I suggest staying away from wearing corsets with metal boning or busks because this is certain to set off the metal detector. That's not a show stopper, but they will inspect you by hand and the added attention can be annoying.
Remember that the lipstick and other makeup you may carry will fall into the "Liquid and gels" category and so you will be required to place them in a zip lock bag and send them through the xray machine.
In that ziplock bag I mentioned above, I carry a small travel size deodorant. As unglamorous as it is to admit it, dragging your bags across an airport, in and out of shuttle buses, and then the nerves of getting through the TSA gauntlet with a hundred people looking at you is fairly nerve wracking even to pro's, and I can work up a pretty good sweat. At least half the time, my first stop after getting through the security line is to the "Special Needs" bathroom where I wash up and apply a fresh coat of deodorant.
If you go through an airport with the full body scanners, your breast forms will almost certainly trigger a personal inspection. Again, it's not a show stopper but you should be mentally prepared for it so that you dont panic when they decide to frisk you after going through it. The half a dozen times that this has happened to me, the female TSA agents have all winked telling me "it must be your underwire bra that set it off". They know, and I know, that it is the breast forms, but they try to be kind.
Speaking of breast forms, they are considered a medical prosthesis and ARE allowed through the check point despite being a "gel". They technically have the right to ask you to remove them and send them through the Xray machine, but in years of flying, this has never been asked of me.
If you wear a long skirt, you will almost certainly end up with a personal inspection (get frisked). The TSA agents appear to have some discretion on this one though, as sometimes they do frisk me, and sometimes they dont.
If you DO get a personal inspection, it will be by a woman unless you specifically request a male (and I wouldn't if I were you). Let's face it, women are usually far kinder to us then men.
Dont forget that your jewelry needs to come off going through the metal detector. A wedding ring, and sometimes even small ear rings will not set it off, but much more than that and your going to be pushing your luck.
Be sure that you can tolerate wearing your chosen shoes for a long day and a lot of walking. If you buy a brand new pair of 4 inch stilettos the day before, and assume that they are going to be comfortable, you may find yourself in for a long and miserable day. I'm not saying not to wear heels, I'm just saying to make damn sure they are comfortable before you enter the airport in them.
Also regarding shoes, remember that you have to take them off while going through security. Ever tried to balance on one foot in a four inch stiletto while trying to undo a bunch of straps on the other shoe, AND to do it with a bunch of people standing around watching you? Consider this when choosing your shoes and either wear a pair that is reasonably easy to get in and out of, or stop and take them off in a chair before entering the security checkpoint.
You do not need a letter from your quack . . . err . . .therapist and you do not need to explain to anyone that you are TG. When you hand your ID over and they see that you are a male dressed as a female, all of that will be abundantly clear - no explanation needed.
TRY to smile and be friendly. People that act terrified and skittish tend to make others nervous, ESPECIALLY when your in an airport or airplane. If someone talks to you, be sure that you smile and reply just as you would any other day. They may still think that we are weird, but they will be reasonably comfortable with you if you are a friendly weirdo. LOL
Count on delays and be mentally prepared for it. Airline travel is not what it used to be and the vast majority of my trips have delays and cancellations. If you miss a connection, they will get you on the next flight - it's nothing to get worked up or excited about.
DO get to the airport at least two hours before your flight is due to depart. You have no idea how many times I have needed every bit of that two hours to get through the process.
If you have the room in your carry on, I would recommend that you might want to carry a guy outfit with you just in case you get stranded. This is exactly what happened to me a couple of days ago (feel free to see my blog (http://kimberlyhuddle.blogspot.com/2011/08/flight-to-nowhere.html) if your interested)

I have flown from dozens of US airports and never had a problem. I fly out of Austin once or twice a week and so they are more than familiar with the concept of a TG there. LOL
If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me. The friendly skies sure are getting crowded these days! :-)

Aleria
08-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Kimberly and I are of like mind.

I recommend not going full glam. We're in the age now where people fly in their pajamas... why stand out? Plus, you might as well be comfy.

It's super easy... and fun!

Duana
08-14-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm sitting in the president's club after passing through international security. I'm wearing 2 ladies rings, bracelet, necklace, earrings and dresses in capris, ladies flat sandals with painted toes. Top is a v-neck femme T-shirt. I have my own hair combed femme style, eye liner, shadow and pink lipstick.

No problems at the counter or security. This is for flying to Colombia. I've done it several times.

SweetIonis
08-14-2011, 06:33 PM
I If you can not handle that thought, then you need to pack your pretty things and fly in boy mode.

Well that would be the way I would have to do it. One question I have about that, how do you pack wigs without them getting messed up?

Starr
08-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Kimberly that was a great list of things you listed there. I did a cut and paste on your list and filed it on my computer in word so when the day comes that I fly fem I will get it out and go over it before I leave home.. Thank you Kimberly

TxKimberly
08-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Well that would be the way I would have to do it. One question I have about that, how do you pack wigs without them getting messed up?

I use what is pretty much your standard tupperware type container with a lid. You still have to lay your wig in it, so it will require some effort when you arrive to make it presentable, but it's still the best idea I have come up with yet.

Natalee
08-15-2011, 01:16 AM
My brother-in law is TSA.. So no flying pretty for me.

Although I have had my bags searched by a female agent in Salt Lake; whilst carrying 2 weeks of girl clothes. She glanced up, didn't say anything, finished checking the bag. She wasn't the nicest person by ANY means. Convinced a metal crimper tool was a bludgeoning tool of doom, and confiscated it at my protest.. But she also didn't make any fuss or mention, about a dude with lots of chick clothes, panties, and heels.