PDA

View Full Version : After A Long Time Of Questioning...

WillowWriter
08-15-2011, 10:04 PM
So after questioning who I am and what is keeping me lost in life, I've let my mind wander on I've come back to the conclusion that I'm meant to be a girl. I've discussed this with my therapist on multiple occasions and he agrees I should go see a Gender Therapist. I'm very greatful to him for helping me find help with this, but my question is ultimately, what is the best way to come out to family/friends/etc?

5150 Girl
08-15-2011, 10:26 PM
I know how you feel
Comming out is a unique situation, and only you can truly best anset that question. In my opinion, each person you come out to will have to be handled diferntly

WillowWriter
08-15-2011, 10:28 PM
That makes sense. Coming out to people differently is probably for the best.

Anna Bee
08-15-2011, 11:19 PM
I would start by making a list of who you feel would be the most accepting, in order. Then do the "easy" ones first. That might help better prepare you for the ones who aren't so accepting. Just a thought...

Good luck :)

Eryn
08-15-2011, 11:21 PM
I think that you want to discuss this with your new gender therapist before you take any action. Coming out is an integral part of the process and you probably could use some advice from someone who has guided others along similar paths.

TerryTerri
08-15-2011, 11:28 PM
:yt:

I think Eryn nailed it myself!

Jorja
08-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Do talk this over with your gender therapist before you take any action. It is an integral part of the process and your therapist can help you deal with this. In general, you only need to tell those that need to know. Parents, siblings, and maybe some really close friends and relatives. Everyone else deal with them as needed.

Good Luck

thechic
08-16-2011, 03:49 AM
Defeintly discuss it with your new gender therapist first,then only tell the people who need to know.Ie Family,and therey close friends and work colleges.
I did it this way and it started off well.But remember once out theres no going back.

Kaitlyn Michele
08-16-2011, 08:43 AM
First off, figure out what you want to do about your situation... you don't need to tell people until you have a good idea about what you are doing, and when you are doing it.
This is what a gender counselor/therapist may be able to help you with... the more confident and sure you are of what you want , the more value you can quickly get out of a therapist

You may feel like you need to tell people, and you certainly can, but the risk is that if you blurt it out to folks before you know your plan, it could cause you alot of problems unless the people are fully and unconditionally supportive.

every situation and person is different.."its time and they need to know" is a good standard to think about..

Pattie O
08-22-2011, 10:33 PM
I would recommend seek professional advice from your family doctor first who can then refer you to either gender therapists and counsellors.Then you can start the process of coming out to who you choose but yes then the "cat is out of the bag" so go at your own pace.Going to an "event " can help immensely in gaining confidence to come out.Remember u r not alone!